IGNORED

64 And 68 Wedgws

ser182
Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do any of you carry these wedges? I am looking at getting them and trying them out near green. thanks.

Driver: Pinemeadows Bloc Driver 10
Hybrid: Adams A2 3 and 4 iron stiff
Irons: A2 hybrid irons
Wedges: Golf Smith 56 and 60 Degree
Putter: Pinemeadows bladeBall: Nike Power Distance softBag: Datrek Icon

Do any of you carry these wedges? I am looking at getting them and trying them out near green. thanks.

No. They are far too specialized unless you play a course that truly requires a lot of flop shots..... a rare circumstance on most courses. And with your 30+ handicap, you need to focus on the clubs that are easier to hit. You won't help your game significantly with such a specialized club... in fact you are more likely to hurt your overall game. Learn to play pitches and chips with a PW and SW before you worry about going more lofted. At that point you will be making a decision from experience... you will know what your game needs and what you are capable of using. Any club from 60 degrees up takes extra practice time just to remain consistent with it... time that can serve you better used on more versatile irons.

I carried a 60 degree for about 8 years. It took me that long to really take a look at what I was doing with it and realize that I wasn't helping my game with it. Since I took it out of my bag my handicap has dropped by almost 4 strokes (from near 17 to as low as 12.2 - currently 13.2). That's all the evidence I need to illustrate my point. Learn and hone good, basic, fundamental short game techniques before you worry about specialization.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried a 64* and found it pretty useless for my game, went back to a 60* until I found a 58* that seems to fit my bag perfectly. If I can't hit it well there's no reason to carry it.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

A 60 degree is pretty much a useless club for most golfers, much less a 64 or (God forbid!) a 68.

There are a lot more things you should be worrying about in regards to lowering that 'cap before you start worrying about 100* wedges.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

yeah i agree. a 60 even seems a bit much to me. I have a 55 SW which i love but it just rolls a little too much on the green so I recently bought a 58 and it does exactly what i was hoping- a little more height, less distance, and less roll on the green.

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

I haven't found a shot that was too much for my 58*. A 68? You could hit youself in the face.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

I didn't even know that 68 degree wedges even existed.

A 60 degree wedge should have enough loft for any situation and if it is not then it is probably because you are not hitting the ball properly. Continue playing with the 60 degree wedge that you own until you reduce your handicap to at least the mid-low 20's, then you may find that there is nothing wrong with your 60 degree wedge because you will be hitting it better.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

never heard of it...but...the 60 degree lob wedge is my favorite wedge to get on the green from the sand close to the hole...or when i need the ball high and to land and stop....

The latest Golf Digest articles talks about carrying a 64 degree wedge, but when I look on tour even Phil Mickelson doesn't always carry a 64 degree wedge in his bag.

After the article, I even started looking on ebay for a 64 degree wedge but realize that I could open up my 60 degree and have the same result.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I didn't even know that 68 degree wedges even existed.

I think I saw an ad for a 73-degree once. I imagine it fills the "ego" slot in the bag.

The latest Golf Digest articles talks about carrying a 64 degree wedge, but when I look on tour even Phil Mickelson doesn't always carry a 64 degree wedge in his bag.

I think Phil had a 64-degree for Winged Foot, but I'd have to check. I suspect that anything over 60 degrees is in effect only for U.S. Open type layouts.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...
They mentioned on the golf channel about the 64. and that alot opf pros were carrying them.

Driver: Pinemeadows Bloc Driver 10
Hybrid: Adams A2 3 and 4 iron stiff
Irons: A2 hybrid irons
Wedges: Golf Smith 56 and 60 Degree
Putter: Pinemeadows bladeBall: Nike Power Distance softBag: Datrek Icon

I have a 68 degree wedge. My homecourse is pretty short so i take out the driver and use my 3 wood instead. So i got room for my 68.. although i rarely use it..
I only use it for flop shots.. its fun to play with at the start.. but really not a wedge i can recommend for serious play ;)
In The Bag
Driver:............. Sasquatch sumo2
Woods:.......... Ignite
Irons: ......... CG Gold
wedges:.. . vokey SM 60.04, 56.10 Oil-Can and Cg12 52.10 Putter:..... Craz-EBall:.... pro v1 and HX hotA young low budget...

I carry 50º, 56º, 60º and 64º wedges now. The 64º I only got a couple of weeks ago, more for practice and experimentation. There is one or two holes of my course that missing the green means flopping on to the green or just scoot over the other side again, so I'll be taking the 64º but once a round at the most wold be the use I can see for it.

I'm also working on the 3x4 Pelz system, so we'll see if it fits in with my pitching at all.

Laws of golf :
LAW 3: Brand new golf balls are water-magnetic. Though this cannot be proven in the lab, it is a known fact that the more expensive the golf ball, the greater its attraction to water.

LAW 8: Topping a 3-iron is the most painful torture known to man.
In my stand bag:Driver: HiBore...

My goodness, there's a SEVENTY-THREE degree wedge. If I hit that solid and my formula for (my) distance given loft holds, it will go less than thirty yards!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My goodness, there's a SEVENTY-THREE degree wedge. If I hit that solid and my formula for (my) distance given loft holds, it will go less than thirty yards!

And the rest of the time it go 130 yards or 3 feet.

Any manufacturer offering a club like that (or the 68°) is just preying on the golfer who can't resist buying anything and everything to try and fix his game, instead of just learning how to properly use what he already has. Tom Watson has as good a short game as anyone who ever played, yet his most lofted club is 57°. Learn to play what you have and most players will find that they never need those radically lofted wedges.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!