IGNORED

What golf tip was helpful in lowering your golf score and you would like to share?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 5983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lets talk about golf tips that help lower your golf scores. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Being a 6.8 you have all the physical skills to lower your score already. I'd recommend working on your short game, including your putting. Getting up and down more often than not, paired with making birdie putts is what will lower your score.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Play with a better player

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

I need to practice my short game from around the greens to within 50 yards. I have recorded fairways hit, greens on regulations, putts per round

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

Lets talk about golf tips that help lower your golf scores. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Want a lower sum at the end of the day? Play fewer holes.

Seriously, though. Practice chipping in. I've done this a few times when I had a few hours to kill: I go to the short-game area with a shag bag of 2-3 dozen balls and placed them around the area. I wasn't allowed to leave until I chipped in twice, and the two times couldn't be from the same area. Also, sand play. Man, I've had a few times getting it close out of the sand. I wish I had a place where I could practice my sand, but the practice bunkers around here generally have precious little sand, presumably because everyone else hits all the sand out. If I could get it close out of the sand consistently, I'd be a happier man, even if I rarely hit the green-side bunkers.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shorten your backswing, especially if you make more than your share of misses with irons. You might lose a few yards but you'll eliminate probably 70 percent of your problems with ballstriking. It'll allow you to hit more greens and take pressure off your short game.

And in my case, stop trying to murder the ball. I'm guilty of this off the tee but at least I've given up going for a par 5 in two when it was 550 yards long and my drive only went 250.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Don't hit the hero shot. I'm a very-very-high handicapper, and so I need to tell myself this a lot. I end up behind a lot of trees, and deep in rough, and need to remember to just get to a safer spot and then go for it.

What's In My Slingshot OSS Bag.

Driver: Sasquatch 460
Fairway: Sasquatch 3-wood
Irons: Idea A2 OS 3-PWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Sand WedgePutter: Melbourne II

HUMMMMMM 6.5 handicap .... Now is the time to have your self fitted with new set of irons that can enhance your game to the next level . If you are using standard set then it would be nice if you can go to your local golf pro shop to have your club bent in an angle either - or plus in accordance to how you see it fit . Project X in R flex would do your iron game great now that you can easily do a draw or fade .

Albatroz
I have considered the Project X 5 shaft, I have been following them on ebay. What do you know about these shafts. I know they are lighter than my Dynamic Gold R300 shaft.

My specificiation books says:
weight of shafts:
Dynamic Gold R300 127g
Project X 5 115g

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

The most important tips for me thus far have been: swing the shoulders through the ball and minimize hand/wrist movement.

This helped my consistency in ball-striking. In the next few months, I hope to learn more short game tips to score better.

Taylormade R5XL Plus - Regular
Nike CPR 3 22'
Callaway X-14 Pro Rifle Stiff
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56'
Mizuno Bettinardi

One of my co-workers once told me to pick my favorite club and try to hit my shots so that I would be hitting my favorite club for my approach to the green. My favorite club is my 8-iron so instead of automatically blasting driver on every par 4 and 5, I might hit a 5-iron to get the ball in the fairway right around the distance I hit my 8-iron. So on a par 5, instead of hitting driver, hybrid, 3/4 wedge, I'll end up hitting driver 7-iron, 8-iron. If I don't have a chance to get on in two, he told me it's a better idea to hit an approach that I'm comfortable with.

I was also told to never focus on the previous shot or the result of the shot you just hit, just pick a target, line up, and hit the shot. I had some major issues at first where I would self destruct because of a few bad shots. None of this, "crap, I'm behind a tree, now I'm screwed" more just thinking about what to do from there, usually means playing it safer and punching it back out to the fairway where I have a chance.

That's about the only playing advice I've been given, everything else has been attempting to work with my swing. I'm a lefty that plays right handed, apparently I have a little bit of a tennis-inspired swing, not sure what that means. My biggest problem is tensing up my left hand at the transition of my swing and it jacks with my timing and tempo, so the pro has been working on getting me to keep my hands really relaxed to where I feel like I'm barely holding onto the grip. I've been working on it a lot recently but haven't been able to actually play to see how it will translate to the course. I need to get out there before the winter hits though.

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered
I-701 Irons 5-PW w/ Rifle 5.0
Callaway X-Forged Vintage Wedges 50/12, 54/14, 58/10 (C-Grind Sole) w/ Rifle 5.5Yes! Marilyn 33" Z-URS ||| SkyCaddie SG 2.5 ||| Clicgear Model 2.0

Shorten your backswing, especially if you make more than your share of misses with irons. You might lose a few yards but you'll eliminate probably 70 percent of your problems with ballstriking. It'll allow you to hit more greens and take pressure off your short game.

I totally agree, and I've reached a point now that I'm longer than I was before, with my long backswing. I think it's because I hit it on the button more often and my swing has gotten more efficient, most of the speed is generated in the last couple of feet of the swing anyway, a long lead in just gives you more time to screw it up.

Umm well dont think about the shots too much, just think about a good swing and smash it down there. Swing hard and aggresively, play aggresive as well.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Here's a few hard-won tips that seem to work for me.

-Keeping left arm close to chest cures a host of ills
-Shorten and slow down backswing
-Hit down on ball for good ball contact

Pilates exercise for strength and flexibility

I am able to turn better and hit the drives farther. The stretching also helped strengthen my stomach muscle and keep my back injury free.

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

Don't suck

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Always try to maintain a feeling of freedom in your shoulder turn and arms. When you have that feeling your tempo is almost always solid no matter how hard you swing.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Do you have any specific short game and putting drills you could share with us? My chipping is pretty good, but obviously could always be better, but my putting is pretty poor. I usually have a couple of 3 putts per round...which drives me totally crazy...lol. :)

Being a 6.8 you have all the physical skills to lower your score already. I'd recommend working on your short game, including your putting. Getting up and down more often than not, paired with making birdie putts is what will lower your score.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!