IGNORED

Wearing holes in my golf gloves

Note: This thread is 4451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What kind of grips do you use? If you are using cord grips they will tear a glove up quicker then anything.

The driver, wedge and putter have factory Taylormade and Ping grips. The irons have some kind of firm rubber grip on them (they were replaced a couple of years ago I would guess). I'm not totally in tune to all the different grip styles/types, so I really don't know what I have. Most of what I'm using are my father-in-law's clubs.

Took me two years and many lessons to learn the correct grip because it's NOT INTUITIVE. My gloves turn black but never have holes or even wear areas anymore.

Does anybody have a blister on the top of the ring finger of their right hand ? I have one that persists even with a very loose grip.

If your wearing holes in the glove at that spot you need to grip down on the grip about 1/2" to 1 ". Your palm should not be hanging over the end of the club, It will not help to hit the ball farther if you grip over the end. A proper grip will also give you better control of the club during the swing.

My gloves used to wear in the spot (not nearly that fast) until I moved my hands down a little, 1/2 inch sounds about right. I take my right hand off the club after impact and that allowed the end of the grip to dig into the golve on my left hand.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 10 months later...
Took me two years and many lessons to learn the correct grip because it's NOT INTUITIVE. My gloves turn black but never have holes or even wear areas anymore.

To bring back an old post again... I also have this blister on the R ring finger. I am pretty sure it is from interlocking and from your ring finger moving across the L index finger mid knuckle during the swing. I have to think it is bad and would also like to figure out how to stop it.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

That was one of the reasons I switch to the overlapp grip. My little finger also would hurt when I played alot of golf.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I'm wearing holes in my golf gloves (Footjoy) on the fleshy part of my hand (left) about midway between the base of my pinky finger and the outside of my wrist. My gloves only remain usable for about two rounds before they split wide open. I can see signs of abrasion on a new glove after 15-20 swings.

My glove will wear in a similar pattern, but not that quickly. Ill get a tear in the palm after a month or more of regular use. My guess is that you might be re gripping during your swing like you thought. Or you might be gripping too tightly and you would also see alot of wear in the thumb.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

The real reason the gloves get holes in them is your holding the very end of the club. If you look at the club when you grip it the end will be right at the hole. choke down about an inch. watch the pro's they don't hold the very end of a club,they always choke down a bit.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• 2 years later...

If you're tired of buying new gloves while you work out this issue try putting a bit of duct tape on the spot that tears.

It's hardy stuff -- not as tacky as the glove, but if it's only a (relatively) small piece it shouldn't make a difference.

And if you don't want the 'classy' silver duct-tape look, I know they sell a lot of different colors and 'team-logo' duct tape these days too.

I have only done this twice. It worked best when I put the duct tape on before the hole arrived.

Does anyone here know what could be the reason there is a total wear on my left thumb ? ( I am a right handed golfer ).

I have almost zero wear on the rest of the parts of the glove. Only the left thumb !

Ray

• 3 months later...

I was wearing big holes in my glove within 100 balls.  I could put on a brand new glove and put a hole in it the size of a quarter within an hour at the driving range.  This kept happening over and over again.  The hole was always on the palm, closest to my pinky finger.

For months I thought it was because I gripped the club too hard, held it too close to the end, or had too small of a glove.  Working on those issues didn't seem to have any effect on my problem though.

Then someone at Golfsmith explained to me that this was being caused by my glove actually being too loose.  I switched from a large/extra large to a medium/large.  This new size glove is definitely a tight fit, but my problem was completely solved instantly.

Hope this helps some of you out there...

Note: This thread is 4451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!