IGNORED

Plasma TVs, or LCD is you can make a case for it over a plasma

dbornack
Note: This thread is 5916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys/girls..

I'm in the market for a new Plasma/LCD TV coming up next week..

Here are the specs that I'm requiring..

42"-46"
1080p
less than $1500

I'm thinking about the Panasonic, and the Sharp Aquos 42 1080p Plasmas..

Anyone have opinions? Can you back them up with personal experience?? thanks!

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

I did about 1 year or research and experimenting with different technologies, resolutions, and brands before settling on what I considered to be the best option for me: the Pioneer 50 inch plasma.

You will find a ton of conflicting opinions on the superiority of plasma or LCD, but it really comes down to your preferences and intended uses. I think you will find that most who consider themselves videophiles prefer plasma due to its deeper blacks. You will probably also find that gamers prefer LCD as there is zero chance of image burn-in with the static images that appear in games.

Some questions:

1) What will your viewing distance be?
2) Will there be windows facing the television?
3) What are your main viewing sources (ie. standard definition cable, HD, DVD, etc.)?

I did about 1 year or research and experimenting with different technologies, resolutions, and brands before settling on what I considered to be the best option for me: the Pioneer 50 inch plasma.

10-18 feet

Yes HD Cable, Blu-Ray/HDDVD, possibly some video games.. Thanks :)

Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

You might already be aware of this, but 1080p is mainly marketing hype. Viewing distance is the limiting factor. For a 46 inch display like you mentioned, you would need to sit within 6 feet to appreciate the resolution difference from 720p. So for someone sitting 10-16 feet away, the argument could be made to save your money on native resolution and get a larger display at 720p. It's still HD and it would look every bit as detailed.

With windows facing the display, you will get greater reflection off of a plasma panel than an LCD. Not really that big of an issue with a top-quality plasma, but I have seen some that would produce a pretty distracting glare with rear windows.

I asked about video source because any non-HD material will need to be upscaled to the native resolution of your display. If a SD broadcast comes through at 480, it needs to be scaled up to either 720 or 1080 (whatever your panel's resolution is). For that reason, SD tends to look better on a 720 display because less scaling is needed. But, this looks to be a non-factor for you considering the majority of your viewing. But keep that in mind as some of your viewing will undoubtedly be SD.

You might already be aware of this, but 1080p is mainly marketing hype. Viewing distance is the limiting factor. For a 46 inch display like you mentioned, you would need to sit within 6 feet to appreciate the resolution difference from 720p. So for someone sitting 10-16 feet away, the argument could be made to save your money on native resolution and get a larger display at 720p. It's still HD and it would look every bit as detailed.

Well.. I figure the life-span of my TV is going to be at least 4 or 5 years.. either before it's obsolete, it dies, or I just plain go for an upgrade..

I'm a techonology guy.. I deal with obsoloscent technologies every day. What I won't do, is buy a technology that is about to be dead (720p). 720P is great, but it was only a stepping stone for the early days of HD (IMHO). Without 1080P, HDDVD or BluRay mean absolutely nothing to me. There are already 1080 channels coming out, and I'm sure int he next 2 years a lot more will be coming.. I want to be able to enjoy that resolution.. While I was at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, I compared the 2 50" Samsung model side by side, and could definitely notice a different between the 720 and the 1080 models.. It might be less noticeable at 42", but, I could still notice it. The only thing here.. is that this TV will be moved to my bedroom in a couple of months when I can afford the best 50" plasma out there.. in the bedroom.. 720 is just fine.. but, will I wish I had bought a 1080 in a year or two..?? Maybe..

I would take the LCD in a bright room, especially for TV or gaming. LCD is lighter, less fragile, and less power hungry than plasma. For home theatre, and perhaps fast action sports, plasma may be your choice.

Well.. I figure the life-span of my TV is going to be at least 4 or 5 years.. either before it's obsolete, it dies, or I just plain go for an upgrade..

Just my 2 cents, obviously, but 720 will not be "dead" anytime soon. It still can display 1080p material...just with 720 vertical lines of resolution instead of 1080. And, again, the most important factor to consider in the 1080 vs 720 HD discussion is viewing distance. How far were you from those panels at BB? Optics would say beyond 7 feet is the limit for noticing the difference. Anything short of that and the difference in 1080 resolution would be beneficial and noticeable. Decrease panel size from 50 and that distance gets even smaller. And how many people watch TV at a distance of less than 5 feet? That is why 1080p on anything less than a 50 inch panel tends to be overkill. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can send a 1080p signal to a 1080p display but those extra lines of resolution being perceived depend almost totally on viewing distance.

Just my 2 cents, obviously, but 720 will not be "dead" anytime soon. It still can display 1080p material...just with 720 vertical lines of resolution instead of 1080. And, again, the most important factor to consider in the 1080 vs 720 HD discussion is viewing distance. How far were you from those panels at BB? Optics would say beyond 7 feet is the limit for noticing the difference. Anything short of that and the difference in 1080 resolution would be beneficial and noticeable. Decrease panel size from 50 and that distance gets even smaller. And how many people watch TV at a distance of less than 5 feet? That is why 1080p on anything less than a 50 inch panel tends to be overkill. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray can send a 1080p signal to a 1080p display but those extra lines of resolution being perceived depend almost totally on viewing distance.

Both very good points..

I was at a bar last night watching the football games, and was sitting about 5 feet from the obviously 720 broadcast, as well as a 720 screen.. and while it looked ok.. I could see a lot of pixelation, etc.. I know some of that is from being close to the TV, and some of it is because its 720.. but.. I didn't like it.. I checked out the model, and it was the Samsung 42" Plasma at 720p.. However.. with the cost savings of going to a 42" 720p, especially for a TV that will be my secondary TV in a few months time.. might be worth it..

Best wishes. Some decent options out there and with prices falling, you are sure to find something you like. Best advice is to go to the stores, find something that looks good to you, and then go home and research it for user opinions, professional reviews, problems, etc.

I was in your shoes not long ago, and while at bestbuy looking at all the tv's and trying to make a decision on what looked better it was between the LG and a samsung model. So I called my wife over that was looking at other things, and asked her what one looked clearer and more crisp and right away she said the LG. That was my thought also, they where close but the LG was just a nbit brighter and clearer. Note that this was for an LCD tv, because I knew it would be going in a bright room so the decision was already made for LCD.

We could not be happier, with our choice and the Lg's where less than the other name brands, so we saved a bit. But then that all went to the HDMI cables, that are all needed to enjoy the high quality. So in your budget I would allow for 150 -200 for cables.

Driver: G10 10.5 v2 shaft
3 wood: g10
Irons: I5's green dot
Putter: G5 anser
Wedges: CG12, 52*, 56*Ball: : E6+

I actually bought through Dell. LCD 46" widescreen and a 35" for the bedroom. The 35 is 720, I can't hardly tell the difference from bed. I agree with those who say LCD for rooms with more light, also screen life for LCD is longer. Plasma's tend to get burn in if left on ( like older computer screens). DLP is a viable option if cost is competetive, I feel that it is a little better from greater angles.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I went through the process about 11 months ago and had no preference between LCD, Plasma, or DLP at the start since I wasn't going to hang it on a wall anyway. If 1080p had been priced last year what it priced this year I would have just gone to it, but it wasn't so I ended up with a 50" Samsung DLP because I thought that at 720, it looked better than either of the other two technologies. Of course, I know people who have come down in both the other two camps. I would go to both Best Buy and Circuit City (former is lit well, the latter is not).

In then end, it is you that is going to be looking at the thing for the next 5 years. Buy what you like.

I was in your shoes not long ago, and while at bestbuy looking at all the tv's and trying to make a decision on what looked better it was between the LG and a samsung model. So I called my wife over that was looking at other things, and asked her what one looked clearer and more crisp and right away she said the LG. That was my thought also, they where close but the LG was just a nbit brighter and clearer. Note that this was for an LCD tv, because I knew it would be going in a bright room so the decision was already made for LCD.

Please tell me you didn't buy monster cables at Best Buy

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Please tell me you didn't buy monster cables at Best Buy

Explain? By the way my employer went through and removed the moving bug things and such we had all downloaded, we cant have any fun.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Explain? By the way my employer went through and removed the moving bug things and such we had all downloaded, we cant have any fun.

Just hoping you didn't overpay for Monster brand cabling from Best Buy....that's all.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

i think the arguement that plasma has a shorter life span is a myth. let's say the average manufacters rating for any new plasma is in the 50,000 to 60,000 hour range. if you leave it on for 6 hours EVERYDAY, that equates to roughly 25 years. i'm sure most won't have their tvs for that long anyways.

My Blog

check out some LG's they are a great tv, and im sure you can find a 1080p for less than $1500,

also remember that you can only tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at certain distances

use this chart and you will see what i mean

for example if you have a 42 in screen and you sit 10 feet from the tv, you will not be able to tell the difference

Note: This thread is 5916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!