IGNORED

Reshafting Irons

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have Callaway X Forged steel shafted irons, and was wondering if getting them reshafted with a different steel shaft would hurt their performance. I thought I heard somewhere that after you reshaft a club it doesn't do as well as before.

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

I've had a couple of irons re-shafted after I've snapped or bent the originals.

I think as long as the person doing the re-shafing knows what they're doing, the performance should be as good, if not better.

In a sort-of-related note, A pal of mine had his x-18's reshafted because he didn't like the feel of the "uniflex" steel that Callaway's come with. He's hitting them better than ever now.

In My Bag

Driver: 907 D1 10.5 Regular flex
3 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19Hybrid: Rescue Dual 225-GW: G5Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 58Putter: White Hot 2-ballBall: Mojo

why dont you like the project x? i thought they were the best iron shaft around.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

why dont you like the project x? i thought they were the best iron shaft around.

Best? Or most expensive? Project X shafts are expensive, yet if you order them off of the internet as a badge of honor? Because they're the best?

Most expensive doesn't always equal best. X100s? You better be bringing that clubhead/puppy at some serious clubhead swing. Get fitted, eh?

I have Callaway X Forged steel shafted irons, and was wondering if getting them reshafted with a different steel shaft would hurt their performance. I thought I heard somewhere that after you reshaft a club it doesn't do as well as before.

You perhaps, just perhaps, might've heard wrongly.

Check that. You absolutley heard wrong. You've reached a handicap of your stature and -- and play X Forged -- and still believe that? Where is your handicap based from? Woody's Par 3 out of East Norriton, PA? Mercy me.

Best? Or most expensive? Project X shafts are expensive, yet if you order them off of the internet as a badge of honor? Because they're the best?

i was just asking a question, i never heard anyone complain of project x's. cost has nothing to do with this as they come stock. i was only looking for feedback. sounds like someone pissed in you cheerios, eh? -matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

IMO, It depends on the shaft you're switching to and the fitter's skills. Make sure the shafts you're going to get suit your swing better than current one. After that, find a really good club fitter/maker because he will know what else to do with the new shafts to fit you better instead of simply pulling out and installing.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

i was just asking a question, i never heard anyone complain of project x's. cost has nothing to do with this as they come stock. i was only looking for feedback.

No, brother -- not at all. Follow your nose (it always knows).

:) Paddy talked about this after his Open win. A best buddy of mine plays X100s, and he is OFF THE CHARTS long and has a fluid swing (looks as if he ain't even swinging). His swing and demeanor looks like Adam Scott's. No kidding. My Rifles are 5.5. My 7-iron goes 165. Rifles play stiff. Project Xs? Rock on... De-Label 'em, BTW. Logo down. ;)

Project X shafts are expensive and an internet badge of honor. Unless you've been actually fitted?

I got fitted for mine and thought money was no object. Clubmaker actually chuckled when I said to him I thought I was suited for ProjectX 6.0 shafts.

The website? Has you thinking you know what flex you need?

Oh, and money wasn't an object. LOL

haha well i can say that dont know all that much about changing golf equipment, i got these irons about 3 months ago and they were the new set i had ever gotten besides the old, used clubs i started out with.

as far as the shafts go the project x are the ones that i was going to get, i hear alot of people here talking about how good they are. i got my x forged irons off the internet and they had true temper gold s300 steel shafts.

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

haha well i can say that dont know all that much about changing golf equipment, i got these irons about 3 months ago and they were the new set i had ever gotten besides the old, used clubs i started out with.

I made it to PA High School State finals with Dynamic (original) S shafts and Wilson staff fluid feel forged blades way back in 1985...

What do I know? Nuttin'. Hmm... I'm playing tougher courses now (longer and tougher), with better shafts, better clubs, and a weaker mind. LOL

Just get fitted with a master clubmaker. It beats eBay and acting like you think you know your specs.

• 5 months later...
hey guys just a bump on the thread... few questions here and just searched this topic. I recently ordered a set of MacGregor Pro M irons with Nippon shafts and I've had some experience with them in the past but not extensive. If I'm not happy with the shafts could I pull the shafts from my titleist 735's (project x, original pre true temper) and install them without any performance faults?

by performance faults I dont mean trajectory or flex, more just the soundness structurally of the shaft and the installation. could reshafting with a used shaft affect the efficiency of energy transfered as supposed to new clubs?

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

could reshafting with a used shaft affect the efficiency of energy transfered as supposed to new clubs?

pulling steel shafts and putting them into another set of heads is fine to do. as long as you do not super heat the hosel/shaft when pulling you should have no problems. just be sure to clean out the heads of any old epoxy and score them with sand paper or whatever you have, and do the same with the tip of the shaft all the way up to the beginning of the ferrule. just be sure to apply short bursts of heat to the hosel (like 10 seconds or so at a time) and then pull those puppies out. double check that the tip diameter and style match both heads before pulling them out only to later find that they are not the same.

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

• 6 years later...

Bumping an old thread in hopes of some guidance. I'm hoping @LBlack14 or @WUTiger pick up on this for me. :-)

I"ve got a set of X-22s (non-tour) that carry some sentimental value. The issue is, they have A-flex graphite shafts. I don't like the feel of graphite in my irons and I suspect the A-flex would be terrible for me anyway. I would love to reshaft the 5-9 irons in steel and put them in my bag.

I can get all the stuff I need to reshaft myself for around $215 shipped. This would include the following:

• 5x DG .370 shafts  (I think this is the right size?)
  • Epoxy
  • New ferrules, I like a taller ferrule than the stock nubbies on the X-22
  • 5x NDMC grips
  • 1 grip kit, full set 14 clubs

I already have a blowtorch and can either buy a vice or MacGyver something up with c-clamps.

Where I need guidance is pretty much everywhere, as I'm a total neophyte.

For starters, is it even worth doing this myself, taking into consideration that I'll need to buy some supplies I won't likely use again?

Am I missing anything from my shopping list?

Is .370 indeed the correct diameter for an X-22 reshaft? Additionally, are there any issues resifting a graphite model with steel? Hoping I don't need to get into any shimming headaches.

My understanding is that the x-22 is not a true bore-through and that the cap on the sole is just cosmetic, is this correct?

Are any of you club fitter guys willing to walk me through it all and show me the tricks so I get it right the first time?

I realize that I could probably buy a set of mint X-22s in any flex I wanted for around 250-300 bills, but like I said, sentimental value.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bumping an old thread in hopes of some guidance. I'm hoping @LBlack14 or @WUTiger pick up on this for me.:-) I"ve got a set of X-22s (non-tour) that carry some sentimental value. The issue is, they have A-flex graphite shafts. I don't like the feel of graphite in my irons and I suspect the A-flex would be terrible for me anyway. I would love to reshaft the 5-9 irons in steel and put them in my bag. I can get all the stuff I need to reshaft myself for around $215 shipped. This would include the following: [LIST] [*] 5x DG .370 shafts  (I think this is the right size?) [*] Epoxy [*] New ferrules, I like a taller ferrule than the stock nubbies on the X-22 [*] 5x NDMC grips [*] 1 grip kit, full set 14 clubs [/LIST] I already have a blowtorch and can either buy a vice or MacGyver something up with c-clamps. Where I need guidance is pretty much everywhere, as I'm a total neophyte. For starters, is it even worth doing this myself, taking into consideration that I'll need to buy some supplies I won't likely use again? Am I missing anything from my shopping list? Is .370 indeed the correct diameter for an X-22 reshaft? Additionally, are there any issues resifting a graphite model with steel? Hoping I don't need to get into any shimming headaches. My understanding is that the x-22 is not a true bore-through and that the cap on the sole is just cosmetic, is this correct? Are any of you club fitter guys willing to walk me through it all and show me the tricks so I get it right the first time? I realize that I could probably buy a set of mint X-22s in any flex I wanted for around 250-300 bills, but like I said, sentimental value.

Screw it. I'm just gonna go ahead and do it. I won't really be able to try out different shafts and my one concern is that when I'm hitting my irons well I have a very high ball flight. Any generic advice on a shaft that would keep that from becoming a balloon would be great. Still debating in whether I have the skills to do the work myself, any advice there would be appreciated too.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Assuming the shafts are exactly as they need to be the rest is easy. I've reshafted clubs sitting at my desk in my office with a minimum of tools.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!