IGNORED

How did you gain distance in your drive?

mdr817
Note: This thread is 5958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hammer curls are very hard on the tendon which attaches to the lateral epicondyle and can aggravate the area enough that, in the conjunction with the repeated trauma of the golf swing lead to the development of tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis, a very common condition in the lead arm of golfers.

I read that higher loft means more distance and most people play driver lofts too low. In fact just read 100MPH driver swing goes furthest with 11.5 degrees. Now how many folks who can swing a driver 100 would be seen with a 11.5 lofted driver?

It's parabolic, with a different peak for different swing {style, speed, etc}. Otherwise, I'd hit longer drives with my 3-Wood than my driver, and even farther with a pitching wedge.

There was a story going around a while back that one of the Nike staffers - I think it was Trevor Immelman - was using an 11-degree driver with a different number stamped on it. He allegedly didn't know until his clubfitter told him later. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but the lesson is still valid: use the loft that gives you the most distance and control, not the loft you think you should be hitting (you hear that, guys hitting seven degree drivers?)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would work out your legs first since that is where the power is produced in order to turn your hips which makes your arms turn and the most powerful swing you can make.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Back workout-Wide grip Front Pull downs, close grip strict front pull downs, Cable Rows, hyperextensions.

Only do this once a week, 2 at the most, hit em hard, 1 gram protein per bodyweight and you will get strong. Immediately post workout, protein drink.

It's parabolic, with a different peak for different swing {style, speed, etc}. Otherwise, I'd hit longer drives with my 3-Wood than my driver, and even farther with a pitching wedge.

true story. mentioned here in this article from

golfdigest.com Mark Brooks of Cleveland used a 10.5 that was stamped an 8. Interesting article. the authors say that nearly all drivers have a higher loft than what is stamped and that some of the anti-slice drivers are off even more so. guess that helps those of us with too much pride. i already knew that the lofts on clubs were estimates, not exact. But, I didn't know that some manufacturers were purposely doing so to help us out.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

true story. mentioned here in this article from

Yeah, I read so much golf-related pieces that it's hard for me to figure out where I read what. Thanks for the link!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

A golf ball's flight is far from parabolic. If there were no air, it would be parabolic, but let's not dumb ball flight down to "parabolic" please. Spin is a big factor.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A golf ball's flight is far from parabolic. If there were no air, it would be parabolic, but let's not dumb ball flight down to "parabolic" please. Spin is a big factor.

I wasn't claiming the flight to be parabolic, I was claiming the distance (relative to loft) to be parabolic. But I did phrase it poorly.

-- Michael | My swing! 

No matter what, get a lesson if you can and have not already. A pro can help you start correcting any flaws that may be robbing you of power. One lesson with a good pro will help you gain distance on your drives as well as on your irons. For the price of going to the range anywhere from five to ten times you can pay for a solid lesson that will help you many times more than those range visits will.

If you are really serious, I would also suggest taking a few lessons and then go get fitted for proper clubs. Loft has been mentioned a few times already with differences in opinion. The absolute best way to determine what loft you need is to have someone with experience help you out.

If you continue on the path, then you can take more lessons with your new equipment and make huge gains in your game.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

For some people distance is not that complicated. If you are 6'1, athletic and flexible then you have a body built for a powerful golf swing.

Few things you can do if you're not built that way are...

Get huge- if you have enough dedication you can be a long pound for pound hitter like Trevor immelman, Mike Weir and Camillo Villegas. Work out lots and eat healthy.. include lots of protein.

Equipment - get a new driver, forgiving and long are the words you want to associate your purchase with. Choose enough loft, if your swing speed is under 110mph.. Technically speaking you shouldnt be using anything under 10.5 * of loft.. although many still choose to.

Legs- use your legs as a base to harness power. Fire your hips through on the down swing. It takes practise to get the timing down but when you become good enough to perform this action you will see what i mean.

Swing harder- Wouldnt really recommend this unless you're a low handicap. Personally i've always swung hard, the "swing smooth, hit farther" method has never worked for me.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

To gain distance with your drives, you will need to hit the ball farther.

This is the most insightful tips I've come across to this month.

"To win the lotto, you will need to pick the right numbers." P.S: I really tried hard not to comment, but I couldn't. I just couldn't. My bad.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

When I had access to a radar gun I measured my max clubhead speed at 147 MPH. No fancy moves or bodybuilding just grip it and rip it.

However, I found that I couldn't contact the ball consistently at anything exceeding 96 MPH. So in the end it comes down to coordination. Cannot be achieved by practice I have been trying for years. Either you have coordination or you don't.

YMMV

Note: This thread is 5958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!