IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

The 16th hole is a simple short par4 that plays 320-340.  It's narrow with a lake protecting the left, and deep prairie grass immediately to the right of the cart path.   Hit the narrow fairway from the tee, and it's a birdie opportunity.  Message to the long knockers....going for the green isn't a percentage play because hazards come into play just short so it's all carry....and on either side of the green.   It plays almost like an island green from long range.   The percentage play is 220-240 from the tee.....then nip a wedge tight!!

Anyway....so the pin is cut on the left side of the green directly behind a very deep (8-9' deep) bunker protecting the pin. I was on the left side of the fairway firing directly over the bunker........and dump it in!!!  AAAAAaaargg!!!!!!!    I played the correct shot but didn't execute.........

Below is the view to the green from the right side of the fairway..(and old pic)

In spite of dumping my 2nd shot into the deep front bunker protecting the left/front pin on this day..........it didn't matter because you guessed it..................I holed out from the bunker :w00t: My 2nd greenside bunker hole-out in a week!!!!!   Fun stuff..................LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

A buddy, during a scramble, hit driver off the deck from 210 yards out within 5 feet of the hole. Impressive part was we were on about a 40 degree uphill slope hitting to an elevated green over the hill we couldn't see. We thought he was joking when he pulled out a driver and called the giant fade a "signature" shot.

+/-70 yards. Open faced 56* to 4'. One putt par.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

194yd hybrid from light rough (just cleared tree on right) to 5 ft ... arrow straight - just smoked with mid height penetrating  ball flight ... missed putt of course :doh:

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Can i have 2 please? :-)

Both came in the matchplay round i played with my brother in law on Monday, beat him fior the 1st time in 2 years (2&1 for the score)

1. hit my tee shot on the par 3 1st at our local course into the rough, played a loveley Flop shot over the deep bunker to withing10 feet of flag. (loving my short game)

2: 8th hole, both approaches landed short of green. He tries to fly it to the flag and bouces 15 feet past, i used a 9 iron with putting stroke and ball tracks to the hole on right-left break and stops on the lip. "i'll give you that" he says....best thing he said all day!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I do not know which I should choose as my best shot of the week:

A) On a par 4 with 317m I usually play my Driver in a range that 125m to 140m will be left for the approach. Today (and it was not windy) my shot made it into the 100m range and mid of fairway.

B) The next shot with an iron 8 lands 1m from the flag stick.

Birdie :)

I was visiting my alma mater, UNC, and got together with some old friends to play The Preserve at Jordan Lake in Chapel Hill.  It's a housing development course designed by Tar Heel Davis Love III.  You have to ride a cart, since you cross multiple streets.  Lots of elevation changes.  The greens were in good shape, but the fairways and tee boxes were pretty bad.

Anyways on the 135 yard par 3 17th hole, the flag was in the back, behind a bunker, and I hit a beautiful 7 iron with my new Ping G30 irons that was pin high.  I had about a 12 foot putt.  It broke more than I thought, but my speed was right on.  So I tapped in from less than a foot for par.

Here's the hole:

http://www.thepreservegolf.com/-hole-viewer#tabs-1-17

• Upvote 1

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

River Forest #2: par 4, 90° dogleg right.

My drive barely got past the corner of the dogleg and left me 110 to the pin.

The problem:  the pin was on a little plateau on the back of the green the size of a postage stamp with runoff areas front, back, left and right.

The solution: hit the ball to 4 inches from the cup with a pitching wedge.

I love this game. :-D

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Par 3 195 yards

Playing dead into the wind so it's playing about 220 is

I hit my 3 iron short right

Skull my chip into a small pot bunker in the back

Ball is sitting on a downslope in the bunker

Put weight on the front with ball in the back it comes out perfectly and lands about 15 feet short of the pin and comes slightly down the hill into the hole for a par

• Upvote 1

I made a few birdies and hit a few noteworthy full golf shots last weekend, but I'd like to share a par save. It's nothing great, but still a fun shot to discuss.   This is an old pic, but shows the 18th green. It has 2 tiers left/right and this pic doesn't do the severity of this slope justice!!  This pic is a side-view........from the approach. The rise from the bottom to top tier is several feet.

I played approach short left.....so I am chipping from the near/right view of the pic...of the above view...diagonal up the slope to a pin cut just barely on top of the top tier.   Anything that rolls up and doesn't stop on top.......rolls down to the front edge of the green.

I had 3 options..................

1.  chip/run....land short on the front and run the ball the entire length of the green up the slope....hope to stop it just beyond the crest?

2. Pitch all the way?....maybe leave yourself a 10' putt from behind the pin putting back towards the slope?

3. Hit a low chip into the bank.....and hope to skip it up just right......so it bites next to the hole.

I chose option 3.......and I'll be damned....I pulled it off nearly perfectly....I flew the chip into the bank.....it skipped up.......then bit....24" from the cup.  saved the par......it was an awkward shot, but the saved par was very satisfying.  The pin position in the photo is not the pin on this day......it was just barely on top of the slope....

I believe the above pic is from a few summers ago.  It's a 500yd par5.......... I hit a majestic long iron to that position in 2 on that day....fun stuff!  LOL  I am ready for some dry summer conditions!!!!!!  That pin is a tight pin just over a deep front bunker from the approach view.......................

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

218 yd par 3 (FROM THE WHITE TEEs; #9 Shawnee Blue course) - pured the 2h & ran it by about 12 ft.   Made par for the first time on this monster hole ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On a 145 yard par 3, I hit the green on the drive with my 6 iron but it rolled about 2 feet off the green and approximately 50 feet from the pin. On my second shot I used my 7 iron in a putting stance, then choosing a hopeful landing spot for my ball which I guessed would then allow my ball to roll the rest of the way, I chipped the ball in for a birdie. Sweet.

Hole 12, playing 150 with about a 8 mph left to right wind, green slopes left to right. Pin was in front decided to hit a choke down baby draw with a 9 which would hopefully cut the wind off. Hit it dead perfect and the divot was 3 inches behind the hole rolled out to about a foot and a half for a tap-in bird. 6 birds 5 bogeys on the day for for a 71. This was by far the best and almost a great bday present.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

218 yd par 3 (FROM THE WHITE TEEs; #9 Shawnee Blue course) - pured the 2h & ran it by about 12 ft.   Made par for the first time on this monster hole ...

Is that the one that plays over the marsh, just behind the clubhouse?  I believe that Shawnee has a collection of the toughest par 3 holes I've ever played.  Par on any of them is a win!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

200 yards from the green on a par 5. Slightly downhill lie, pure'd a 6 iron to about 20 feet. Best swing i've made all year.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My best shot this week  has  to be 15 hole at china lake  golf course   its a 382 yard  par 4  slight dog leg  to the left.

My tee shot was straight about 260 yards just short of the 100 yard out marker.

Pin placement was on the right and about 10 feet from the right and front

I have a straight shot to the pin I hit the 9I  just right and a little long  I am sitting about 5 feet off the green in the second cut of the fringe

now  from here my normal shot  would be a  shot chip  bounce it off the fringe  roll close to the hole  and  tap it in and move on to the next  hole

I told the other three golfers i am going to putt it in from here. I am really not sure why I would make this choice, my chips had been pretty good so far.

I guess it is just one of those days where your just having fun and  trying new stuff.

I take the putter out  examine the putt line up and give the ball a nice firm tap  to all of our surprise, the ball rolls out of the second cut on the first and on to the green looks like its going to be just short and the ball rolls right up to the cup and drops.    WOW  a birdy putt from the second cut of fringe.     So cool to make an amazing shot.

We finish the round and tally up the score I shot and 89   i finally broke in to the 80's

That's my shot of the week

I've been working on coming over the top less and maintaining my lag more.

150 yard uphill par 3 (maybe 20 yards elevation change). I hit an 8 iron. Felt great. Sounded great. Nice looking divot. The shot wound up in the left fringe pin high, but if every iron shot could feel like that I would be pretty happy.

Number 4 River Forest, 155 yards par 3:

I hit my tee shot with a 6 iron to within 4 feet of the hole. The ball never left the flagstick the entire time. Missed the putt.  Drats! :doh:

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D