IGNORED

So Tiger has 2 grand slams?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

from the Golf Channel site:

"Woods and Nicklaus are the only players to win the Grand Slam at least twice, and the only Americans to win the British Open twice at the home of golf. Woods also completed the ``Nicklaus Slam,'' winning all four majors when the Golden Bear played for the final time."

Didn't Tiger lose the U.S. Open to Campbell and isn't the U.S. Open a major?

EDIT: just got it..CAREER Grand Slams..

• Administrator
Yep, career grand slams. There you have it. 4 Masters, 2 of everything else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A pure grand slam would be the U.S. Open, Open Championship, PGA Championship and Masters all in the same year. No one has done that. Bobby Jones won the grand slam of his day, Open Championship, British Amateur, U.S. Open, and U.S. Amateur.

A pure grand slam would be the U.S. Open, Open Championship, PGA Championship and Masters all in the same year. No one has done that. Bobby Jones won the grand slam of his day, Open Championship, British Amateur, U.S. Open, and U.S. Amateur.

Jones also won 13 majors in his career,, which ended at age 30. Nicklaus won 14 majors total, 10 by the time he was 31. Woods now has 10 majors total, and he is 29.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
I thought the US Amature was considred a major, just never got the recognition because it was a pro event.

Tiger and Jack both consider the US Amateur a major. It was for Bobby Jones, but then again Bobby Jones didn't have the PGA or The Masters in his prime.

So Bobby Jones has something like 13 major titles, Tiger has 13 (10+3), and Jack has 20 (18+2). The funny thing is, if you ask Tiger which meant more, he'll say the three consecutive Junior Amateur championships (15, 16, 17), because when you're 15 you're competing against 17-year-olds, and you have to win three in a row from 15-17 - you can't miss a year and still win three like you can in the US Amateurs. So Tiger believes his Junior Amateurs are a greater accomplishment than the US Amateur titles. So anyway, if you're counting pro majors, Tiger is 8 back. If you're counting the US Amateur, Tiger's only 7 back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nicklaus won 18 majors, plus 2 US Amateurs.

Opps, sorry.. Nicklaus won 18 majors, 10 by the time he was 31.. Anyway,, IMHO.. comparing golfers in their prime to golfers in there prime,, Bobby Jones is the greatest golfer every. And for whole career (which Bobby Jones didn't really have one to compare to) it is Nicklaus. But I find it exciting to watch Tiger as he close to taking over the best in his prime, and has the potential to take over best whole career (of course it will be quite sometime before we will actually know that)

• 5 months later...
What is really staggering to consider about Bob Jones' achievement is that he only focused on playing 4 tournaments a year. During the off season he played recreationally, a round or two on the weekends. There were a couple of years where he did not play more than 20 rounds over the winter. And if he spent an hour on the practice tee it was an extended workout.

Take nothing from Nicklaus or Woods, their accomplishments are phenomenal.

But in terms of most naturally gifted golfer, a strong argument could be made that no equal to Jones has yet to arrive.

Cleveland Ti460 10.5*  |  Cleveland 17* Steel  |  Mizuno MP60  |  Nicklaus JN nickel plated - 52.10, 56.12, 60.09  |  Ping Anser 4
Play it like you found it.

Note: This thread is 6676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!