IGNORED

best blades of all time

Note: This thread is 3743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is obviously a question catered to the younger crowd.

Back in the olden days, blades? Same thing as irons.

Keeping with the original question:
Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades. Or MacGregor Muirfields.

Of all time?

Wilson Staff. Without question.

Mizuno "kids" or those of the "Miura" era probably don't even know...or have even heard Wilson's iron dominance without Googling. This is the days before the Internet. Most kids these days think Wilson is crap. Which is a shame.

Link:

Wilson Staff irons were #1 on Tour. The Staff Tour Blade was introduced, as well as the Staff persimmon woods with an aluminium face insert. Wilson launched another landmark golf ball – the Ultra – and advanced sales far surpass any previous ball in the company’s history.

http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/history.jsp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those kids.

I was kind of like "hmm...why would someone treasure a set wilson staff irons?" So what happened to Wilson Staff afterwards?

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

So what happened to Wilson Staff afterwards? (sic)

Marketing and performance.

Wilson Staff WON the the last Open. Ipod. Mac.

Resurgence. Cyclical ability. Mad Men on AMC. Wilson Staff won the last British Open. And the iPod is popular again, Mac computers are popular again...

Go figure?

gas_can,

yamhang,

Without seeing you actually hit them, I'd err on the side of higher loft providing greater initial launch and spin which both contribute to increased carry distances. Also, shorter shafts allow golfers to make better contact, and often with better contact golfers free themselves up to swing harder. Either way, if it works for you, keep it going. I should mention that I am anxiously awaiting the proofs of my new MacGregor MT Pro Muscle Back irons that are being custom ground by Don White, the master himself to my exact specs. I'll try to post some pictures when they arrive, because I have a feeling I might change my answer after hitting those.

wilson staff were great clubs....were they need to get a couple of decent players to help harington. and they should go back to the more of a players club.

whats in my bag
r7 425 v2 x flex
ss 2.5 stiff
:KZG-forged evolution project x 6.5
cg12 52,56900 form forged 60 bettanardi co3 33.75"pro v1

I couldn't have said it better.

Irons: Staff 1987 or 1967 Dyna-Power
Driver: R580
3W: Burner Bubble
5W: Quad Pro
Hybrid: Halo 3iPutter: 1955 M2

My first set ever was a hand me down of Wilsons and Powerbilt blades lol I cant beleive I played with them when I was 12 or so until I was 15 or 16. I called my Dad to see if he had them laying around, hopefully he can find them. I wish I treasured this stuff more when I was young. I have some of his old hickory shaft putters and persimmon woods laying around.

Anyways, I like the look of the new FOURTEENs better than the new Miura's, I actually like the Miura model posted by Ben better than the new Mirua's too.

I like my MP-33s but I like the Nicklaus Murfield's better. I'm trying to steal my brothers set since he doesnt use them and play with them a few rounds a year.

On a side note I wish manufacturers websites had better pics and info on older vintage models of clubs. That would be nice.

Well, i've been trying out blades for the last 2 months in order to buy a set, and my personal top 3 are as follows:

not blades, these are "players cavity backs" -matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

what do you guys beliveve are the best blades of all time?

hey mate (my first post),

I think the best blades of all time have to be a set of King Cobras. My brother has had only two set of king cobras, a set from 2000 and a recent set of Tour Blades from 2004. They are soft and so easy to work from either left or right. Amazing. I did however, try out the new Nike Tour Blades, they are very similar, but a LOT lighter. Just my thoughts.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Mp33................ I also have a ball marker that clip onto my hat that is a mp33

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

For me, it has to be the old "The Standard by Arnold Palmer". Soft like butter and what Arnie played! New blades are all good for the most part, I think.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I have changed my mind, my Snake eyes 600B are the best blades ever made, I have never enjoyed hitting a golf club so much in my life

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I haven't been able to hit as many blades as I would have liked to by now, but I'll have to go with Hogan Apex and than Mizunos after that
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

what do you guys believe are the best blades of all time?

Jodie Mudd told me to name my price for my 1964 Wilson Staff blades in 1985. Since I had been playing with them for 16 years, I declined. Oh, Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper and Bob Goalby all used those Wilson blades. "Dyna-Power" - the original Muscle Back. I still take the 7 iron to the range.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I gotta go with the Wilson Staff Irons also. I played my staffs for a long time and still have two sets (love my FG-17;s).

I took a peek inside the golf bag of Dale Douglas at the 1996 Senior Open at Canterburry County Club here in Cleveland, and he was STILL playing his 1966 Staffs!!!! You gotta love 'em....

• 5 years later...
Note: This thread is 3743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!