IGNORED

which iron will u recommend for beginner?

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which iron will you recommend?

• Ping - G10
    • Mizuno - Mx 25
    • Nickent - 3DX Hybrid
    • Taylor Made - 2007 R7 iron
    • Muraman - Exim Nano
    • Others - Please post the model. thanks.

I'm recently back into the game and haver been trying and buying irons left and right!
I have settled on the MX950's! I had a set og G5's, which are great but I never have melded with Ping for some reason (had copper eye 2's years ago). They felt great, but I hated the dull feedback on poor shots. I tried the G10's and they did "feel" better on demo.
Actually just put a set of Nike Sumos on the bay. They hit very high and straight. That is the set I would have kept except I tried a set of the 950's and wow, awesome feedback and feel, like buttah on good hits! SO those will be arriving soon.
All that being said...I started this year with a set of Maxfli Fire and thus far have liked them better than any of the big $ brands I have been trying, except the 950's.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a beginner, I wouldn't go for the pricey stuff. The person could decide they hate the game the first day.

Yeah, that's true. I'd suggest getting some cheaper used clubs, nothing wrong with that at all...

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

I would say either the TM or the Ping G10.

I would have to agree with him. If you are just starting out, then this is probably the best bet and would benefit you the most.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I would recommend Titleist AP1s or Callaway X20s if you are committed to the game. I tried them both and it was basically a coinflip. I liked the look the Callaways in the bag more than the Titleists.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

I would recommend either Cobras or Adams, as they are soooo forgiving and not too pricey. But if I had to choose from your list, I would say Nickent.

For beginners, I would recommend a used set of Mizuno comp ez for about $200 3-pw. Oversize forged irons with dynamic gold shafts and a couple of hybrids.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I am in the smae boat that this guy is in. Only i'm left handed and it is harder than crap to find a decent set of clubs at a good price. I need to know if it is reasonable for me to be looking for a set of Ping left handed irons (g2 or otherwise) for around 250 shipped?

Cobra FP's 499
Mizuno MX-19 480-499
Cleveland CG Gold 499
Adams Idea A3 irons 499

All of these clubs made the golf digest hot list for 2008(The mx-19's made it for 07).

Can't beat it!

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

how much is a set of lightly used ping g2 irons worth? 3-9 + L,S,G wedges?
Driver: Tour Burner 10°5
3 wood Tight Lies 13°
Hybrid 3DX DC 23°
Irons: G5
Wedges: oversize 48°PW & 56°SWPutter: Anser 2Ball: TOURix

Once again - demo at a reputable golf shop and decide on which feels best and you like the look. Confidence is very important. I would tend to agree mint or excellent second hand is a economical way to go. Also a number of US sites are promoting last years irons ate great prices (e.g. $349USD for TM R7 steel).

As you improve over time - you can then upgrade but most game improvement irons work until you reach a low - mid handicap!

Good luck and enjoy one of the greatest games!

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

• 2 years later...

tm bURNER pLUS irons  - going for around $300 now new.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by xamilo

Why not invest in second hand clubs or something less expensive to start with. For me, spending $800 on G10s is a little bit too much for a game you are just starting at. As someone said before, you might leave it tomorrow...

New G10's are approx $450.00 not $800 because they have been around 2-4 years now.

I got mine last feb for $62.00 per club with free fitting at an authorized ping dealer.

In the bag:

Driver - Taylormade '07 Burner 10.5* 

3W & 4h Top Flite XL

Irons - Ping G10 XG black dot 5-9 PW, SW

Wedges - Titleist Spin Milled Vokey 58*

Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 2 33''

Note: This thread is 4675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!