IGNORED

practice routine/schedule

cjm088
Note: This thread is 5450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im interested in hearing how you guys practice over the winter and during the season. when i go to the range i dont have a set practice routine or weekly schedule and im not sure how to make one. any thougths on a practice routine and setting a weekly schedule? I can ususually practice 2-3 times per week and i think having a set routine and schedule will help my focus and improve my game. thanks guys

I would guess that everyone's routine will be different based on what they are trying to improve on. I am really focusing on my distances for my wedges, developing more feel with my putter and for my regular shots, I am trying to improve on shaping shots, hitting draws and fads as well as higher and lower trajectories. I usually practice three days a week and the drills I work on will focus on one thing each day. For instance, Mondays, I work on lag putting and the ladder drill. Wednesday, I will work on distances with my sand wedge, 30-80 yards. Fridays, I will use my irons and woods and try to work on shaping shots.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

if by 2-3 times you mean 2-3 days, i would spend 2 days working on something that is a weakness in your game, either driving or putting or whatever it is, and try to make it a strength. think of what shots you found particularly difficult last year and work on them. the other day you could work on anything else you want.

I live in Florida so I don't really have a winter season (don't mean to brag). But I'm a CPA and I do have tax season. This tax season I plan to focus mostly on practicing my short game. I go to the course near my office each weekday at lunchtime and practice for about a half hour each time. I'll practice putting one day and then chipping the next. For putting, I do the ladder drill, lag putting drill and a drill where I place three balls around a hole at about 3' to 4' and practice the short "gimme" type putts. On the chipping days, I practice at different spots to work on my stroke. Then I'll toss several balls out in different distance and different lies and try those shots. Each evening at home, I'll work with a weighted club. I may go to the range on the weekends if time permits. But even then I'll probably spend most of my time on the chipping green and putting green. Well, that's my plan anyway.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

I believe range trips should be fun, and lets face it, if your not very good at a particular shot, your not going to have much fun hitting it on the range

When on the range i use 80% of the bucket for working on my weaknesses(wedges) and the other 20% on what i like to do(Blasting long draws with the driver) to keep the range trip fun and not get bored.

Chipping and putting i almost always bring someone along to compete with. I also find that putting some money on putting games puts you under pressure and helps you cope with pressure on the course, this also keeps the practice entertaining and lets you practice longer without getting bored or uninterested with it

YMMV

I like to use the range as if I was on the course playing a hole. Start with driver, then either fairway wood or mid-iron, then wedge, repeat.

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

i really don't have one right now since its freezing out and its really not worth it to stay outside that long.

but in the summer i plan to only work on my full swing once a week. the rest is gonna be all putting and wedge play.

I am very lucky to have both a range AND a course on the way home from work.

But I eventually found the range to be too unrepresentative of real world conditions. Now I bypass the range and just go to the course every day.

.....keeps the practice entertaining and lets you practice longer without getting bored or uninterested with it

This is a BIGGIE for me. I have a tendency to lose interest and focus if I hit a few really bad shots. It's something that I need to work on in order to get the most out of my range practice. Sometimes I feel like I can go a whole bucket while "in the zone". But if that string of "lateral shots" happens, it is really hard for me to re-focus and enjoy the practice.

I start saying things like "well this is a waste of 9 bucks." and "well, this practice isnt doing me any good". Not fun, not fun. By the way, first post!

Winter: I go about twice a week to a semi-indoor driving range. It is basically a metal shed with two garage doors that open up. Its poistioned on the end of a range that you hit out into. Its nice to actually see your ballflight during the winter.

During Season: I practice about four times a week and play about the same. I start out on the range and hit about 60 wedges spread across my 3 wedges. I work on distance control and "clock swings". I then go to my irons. I alternate between odd and even clubs each session so that i dont create huge hitmarks on only certain clubs. With each club I hit 10 stock, 5 draw, ad 5 fade. THen I do the same with my hybrid driver and 3 wood.

My short game workout is also fairly long. I start off by doing the Mickelson circle drill a 3,6, and 9 feet 2x each. I then work on my mid-range putting. I use one ball and go through my routine each time. I then work on lag putting and don't finish until I have hit three consecutive putts from outside 40 feet to within three feet. THe last putting drill that I do is what I call the three line drill. You find a hard breaking putt that is about 5-8 feet long. You then proceed to make the putt on three different lines. It has really helped me visualize a speed matched with a line on hard sliding putts. I then work on chipping/pitching. 15 short, 15 medium, 15 long, 15 flop, 15 bump and run. Then I go to the bunker and hit 20-50 shots at various distances and slopes. Then I work on "touch" wedges (20-60yards). I hit 10 balls at each increment of 10 yards.

I also have about a 1 hour wightlifting routine that I go through every other day (or days that I'm not practicing)

This practice toutine cant take anywhere from 1hr 30m to 3hr 30m. People think I am torturing myself by doing this, but they don't understand that I would do this every day if I had the opportunity (and the gas money).

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I always hit 220 balls when I go to the range. The breakdown:

Hit about 30 balls with my SW and LW.
Hit 10 balls with my GW.
Hit 10 balls with my PW.

Sit and relax.

Hit 10 balls with my 4I.
Hit 10 balls with my 6I.
Hit 15 balls with my Driver.

Sit and relax.

Hit 5 balls each with 7I-9I.
Hit 5 balls each with my 2I and 3I.

Grab a yardage book from the bag, from whichever course I've played at and play a "round" of golf. Whatever balls are left over, I chip with. I'll chip from various distances using various clubs.

I then putt for 20 minutes.

I do this three times a week.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

by keeping statistics you can see where your game is weak - these are the things to practice on

for me itshort game that needs the most work so i'll be trying to spend 80% of my time on inside 100 yards - with half of this time on putting. Going to aim for twice a week (weekdays) for this and then before rounds at the weekend.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

The Course I play at is shut down from Mid November to Late April so I have an extended off season. I usually spend this working on my Strength and Stamina at the Gym. I also do some indoor putting. When the temperature gets around 50-60 in March I go out to my range which is conviently located in my Garage and start hitting balls. Thats about it. The rest of the time I just dream of the First day of Golf and relive the tragedy and Glory of the previous year.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

I live in the winter wonderland of upstate NY so you have to get a little creative during the winter months. I try to keep it simple because my main focus over the winter is to just keep swinging a club however I can.

We have a local sports dome that allows hitting golf balls during the week so I try to make it there twice a week in the winter. When I practice there I'm usually there for 2 hours.

I hit a couple large buckets and I will start off by going through my normal pre-round warm up that I would normally go through in the summer. This usually involves 12-15 balls, hitting mostly wedges and 7 irons, then a couple 4 irons and driver.

After my warm up I will go through a couple drills that I have done for years to help keep my swing synced. My favorite is just hitting balls with my feet together.

Then I will play a round of golf there on the range. Basically I will pick a course in my mind, and then play the shots as if I were on the course. For example the first hole might be a driver and a 7 iron so I will hit driver then 7 iron,,,and so on!

After that I spend most of the rest of the time there hitting pitches, and chips to spots on the field. I am the only one that I have seen do this, most people go in there, beat a bucket of drivers and are gone in 20 minutes. I'm trying to simulate actual playing conditions as best I can!

Also 3 or 4 night's a week my son and I have a putting contest on the carpet in our basement. It's fun plus we are both getting sharper at putts of 12 feet and in!!!

No matter what, you gotta keep swinging!!!!!!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

• 2 weeks later...
Practicing is a must to succeed in golf. A range routine is vital if you are going to better your game and build your confidence, but BEWARE. Do not go to the range and pound balls just to hit golf balls, total waste of time. The problem with a Driving Range is that there no penalty for bad shots so take aim for targets out there and pretend to play golf holes.

It's amazing to me when I go to the range I just see people lurching at golf balls and swinging like they are chopping down a tree. When I played in college, all of the players at tourneys had a club down at their feet pointing to their target and would play the hole before we would head out to #1 tee. My routine is as follows:

1) 54 and 60 Deg pitch shots for first 15-20 balls
2) Short irons at various targets for next 15 balls 120-160 yards
3) Mid/long irons for next 10 balls 160-200 yards
4) 3 Wood/Driver 10 balls
5) Putt for 20 min

-Tee off

Range practice is not about quantity, if you hit 100 golf balls poorly you are ingraining bad habits. Even Tiger says some of his best practice sessions last 30 min.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...
I feel the best way to practice is by mapping your game on the course. Keep track of how many drives, fairway woods, long, mid, short irons, putts, chips, bunker shots, etc. Then concentrate your practice on the shots you need to improve on.

Most people will spend more time pounding balls on the range, but the most important part of the game is the scoring range of shots from 125 yards and in. I dedicate 75% of my practice time to wedges, pitch shots, bunker shots, chipping and putting.

As your handicap gets lower, the harder it is to shave those last few strokes off your game, and the more important the short game and putting become. I see many scratch golfers play, and the difference between a scratch and a 2 or 3 is mainly putting. The scratch golfer makes those 5 to 10 footers more often.

Chipping and putting practice are boring, but the payoff will be greater. Who doesn't want to collect $$$ from their buddies at the end of the day?

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I feel the best way to practice is by mapping your game on the course. Keep track of how many drives, fairway woods, long, mid, short irons, putts, chips, bunker shots, etc. Then concentrate your practice on the shots you need to improve on.

I agree with everything that you wrote, especially the emphasis on the short game. To keep mentally sharp, I will challenge one of my buddies to compete for money---$.50 a putt or chip---closest wins. If no one is around, I compete against myself, and use two balls to see if I can do better with the second. This also helps with handling pressure when you are on the course.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5450 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!