IGNORED

What do you consider the most stupid rule in golf?

rstyle
Note: This thread is 3524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No there is no local rule that would allow a club to modify the penalty.

I mean this response seriously, not sarcastically:

I didn't realize there is a limit on what local rules could be. I figured just about anything could be one.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The rules cover what local rules can cover.

See Appendix 1, Part 1: Local Rules . Local rules are pretty limited in scope. Imagine how silly the game would be if any rule could be over-ridden by a local rule. We'd have golf courses where you'd be allowed to throw the ball once per hole and golf courses where you were allowed to take mulligans on every par three (or whatever).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's a common misconception that any rule is fair game. In reality, there are even several places in the Decisions that specifically deny the use of a local rule for certain things.

As Eric stated, the allowed local rules are fairly well defined, to the point of even giving recommended wording so that a club doesn't get into a situation where their local rule would be contradictory to the USGA guidelines.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In retrospect, I'm embarrassed that I didn't check that in the first place. Thank you for the link.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I hestitate to predict that in short order

someone will suggest that (The rules cover what local rules can cover.) is the "most stupid rule in golf." But it won't be me . . .

Wow you guys need to calm down just a little bit.

Hoovedawg, don't worry about you mistake in the high school match or the response by Q.Q.Quillumep. In my second season of high school golf (11 years ago) I was DQ'd from the section tournament. On the 17th hole I hit my drive into a bunker that divides the 17th and 18th fairways. As I was walking towards the ball someone played out of that bunker while playing #18. I got up there and couldn't find my ball anywhere in or around the bunker. I assumed that other person had played my ball and dropped another in the bunker and proceeded to play out the hole. The other competitors in my group also agreed that I was doing the right thing. Well, I finished the round and we asked the coaches about what I had done. I was DQ'd. This ended up costing our team a trip to the state tournament, our team was rated in the top 10 in state and was the favorite to come out of our section. My foursome was just a bunch of 15-17 year olds who didn't know all the rules. My point being, just because you don't know all the rules it doesn't mean you don't have a basic understanding of them or lack respect for them. Golf has many many unusual, obscure and often borderline unfair rules that are unknown by most. Like you, now I know the rules on that situation and am able to help others when they don't know what to do.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

I totally agree that the spike marks on the green is the worst rule in golf. At the end of the day it may well be the rub of the green but surely this is not something that is natural and being able to tap them down like you can repair a pitch mark is surely the best course of action!

In my bag:

R7 Quad Driver
3 wood
RAC MB Irons 3 - PW Vokey 52 and 6056 Wedge Fatshaft PutterGolf Bag Pro V1 Ball

pga players can't wear shorts

btw, is a kilt allowed?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

why can you hit a great tee shot, get a bad hop, and have it go out, and get stroke and distance, yet if you miss it completely, you are better off

In the Maxfli X Carry Bag

Driver- Callaway FT-3 Fusion- Stiff
3 wood- Titleist 904F
Hybrid- Ping G10- 21 degreesIrons-4-PW Titleist DCI's Wedges- 52, 56, 60 Classic 11'sPutter- Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

why can you hit a great tee shot, get a bad hop, and have it go out, and get stroke and distance, yet if you miss it completely, you are better off

Because some days you are unlucky, while other days you just suck. It's obviously better to be bad than unlucky.

I suppose that when you hit a bad shot off the course out of bounds, then the ball hits a rock and bounces back to the fairway, you should not get that bounce either? Put it back OB, then take the stroke and distance penalty? Sometimes the bounces go your way, sometimes they don't. That's life.... and that's golf.
  • Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Because some days you are unlucky, while other days you just suck. It's obviously better to be bad than unlucky.

Great point, sometimes the breaks go your way, sometimes they dont.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

• 3 months later...
Boo Weekly this week at the TPC receiving a penalty for his ball blowing on the green. Why is this a penalty on the player once they address the ball?

What control does the player have over a gust of wind? Absolutely ridiculous rule. But if you haven't addressed it, it's not a penalty. I've never heard of anything making less sense than this rule. I've always thought it was crazy.

It takes half a second for a gust of wind to come up. Same reason they shouldn't have the playoff hole be on 17 at TPC.

Goydos hit a solid shot and lost a four day tournment because of one gust of wind. Stupid.

John

I guess it's the stroke + distance rule for an OB shot. Laying two after the drop should be enough of a penalty, rather than laying 3 after re-hitting.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I guess it's the stroke + distance rule for an OB shot. Laying two after the drop should be enough of a penalty, rather than laying 3 after re-hitting.

Dont hit it OB, then.....But you'd really be laying 5 after re-hitting. The drop is a stroke, plus the one stroke penalty, then the re-hit.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Based on your description, that sounds like the stupidest rule i've ever heard.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Dont hit it OB, then.....But you'd really be laying 5 after re-hitting. The drop is a stroke, plus the one stroke penalty, then the re-hit.

Laying 5? Really?

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Laying 5? Really?

Yeah, after the rehit (and if it was a second shot, lol..) I might have gotten confused. On a tee ball you would be laying 4 on the drop as I understand the ruling. OB is bad news, man.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 3524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!