IGNORED

Hybrid, Fairway Wood, or Long Iron ?

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's Your Weapon From 210 ?

• 7 Wood
    • 19 Degree Hybrid ( 3 Iron Replacement)
    • 22 Degree Hybrid (4 iron replacement)
    • Long Iron

5 iron if conditions are pretty normal. I actually hit my 5 iron quite a lot on my home course so its a feel good club for me.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

I'd be looking at my 5-iron but I wind up hitting the 4 for a strong cut - this shot is between clubs for me.

Jealous of you players who would have the same dilemma with the 5 and 6. ;)
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

210 would be a #3 Hybrid for me. Smooth swing should put it right on the money

In My Bag: 10.5 Staff (cart) - (stand)

Driver - FT-i - (11 degree Speeder)

3 wood - Sasquatch - (Diamana)5 wood - Big Bertha - (Steel)4 hybrid - Rescue Mid clone - (Irod)Irons - DCI 822OS - (Graphite)Wedges - CG10 and CG11 Black PearlPutter - Heavy...

Downwind is a 4 Iron.

Uphill or into the wind is my 2H.

Direct is a 3 Iron.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

In solid conditions this would probably be a 5 iron, maybe a four depending on the shot i was playing, i did have this shot last weekend though and because of the cold and wet i played a 3 iron. Put it on the green, about 20 feet away, but it did stop within a foot of landing!!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

• 1 month later...

Depends on a couple of factors, type of lie and wind conditions. I would hit a 3 iron into the wind, a 4 iron with the wind or 3h with no wind if I want to hold the green (assuming I hit it)

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

I would use my 20° or 23° Iron Wood depending on the course condition.

In my Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 10.5° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D3 RF Graphite

3-Wood: TaylorMade r7 Ti 15° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D2 RF Graphite

3-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 21° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

4-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 24° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

5-9: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D3 RF Steel

PW: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D4 RF Steel

AW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 50°, 6° Bounce WF Steel

SW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 54°, 10° Bounce WF Steel

LW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 58°, 8° Bounce WF Steel

P: TaylorMade Rossa Daytona1 AGSI®+ 32” Blade

I'd draw it in there with a 4 iron unless it was really wet or windy. If I needed to carry it to the pin, I would use my 19* hybrid.
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

• Administrator
I can't answer. I might hit anything from a 3-wood to a 5-iron.

210 is my 3-iron or a gripped down 17-degree hybrid. It depends on the lie, how I feel that day, which way I want to work the ball, what the wind and elevation is, where trouble lies, where the pin is, how the green is slanted...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

goodness theres a lot to consider when hitting a 3 iron- its a wonder that the ball is even hit at all with all that procrastination.

It irritates me when people say that they take all these things in to account before a shot as an amateur just to sound clever- just hit the ball and find it again and hit it again.

Its all crap!

You are 210 out from the pin, with the front of the green at 195. No trouble on the left, bunkers guarding the right side of the green. What's your weapon and why?

22* degree hybrid

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

The hybrid because it will land sofer,

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

4 or 5 iron depending on how I felt that day and what the weather was like.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

It depends on my score and if it was a par 5 or par 4. If it was a 4 somehow and I felt like taking a gamble i'd hit a 5 wood. I'd either go way over if I hit it nice or just get on. Maybe save par.

If it was a par 5. I'd hit a 4 iron just to the front of the green slightly left So i can chip on. and not have any trouble.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Hybrid 22 degree - Taylormade Burner

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

none of the above, 5 wood (18*) for me

This would work for me as well. Although I would baby it in but still a Great call with the 5 wood!!!

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!