IGNORED

Whats your take on the Ping color system?

Mark19
Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guess I am one of the few where the Ping static webfit isn't entirely accurate. I'm 6'3 with a 37" wrist to floor, so the Ping webfit puts me at a half inch over and white dot 3 degrees upright. It also puts me in a stiff flex for the Z-Z65 or a stiff or X flex for the AWT shaft. My most recent fitting has me at a half inch over and standard lie. Flex is kind of up in the air because I seem to be in a strange range. I play Dynamic Gold R300s in my 23 degree hybrid and my 5-9 irons and S300s in my wedges. Driver swing speed for me is around 96-99. It seems like I am kind of in the "high regular/low stiff" range so I have been using regular because they feel better and give me better results usually. Then again, I have very strange preferences for my clubs. I like heavy shafts, high swingweights, it just feels more comfortable for my swing.

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered
I-701 Irons 5-PW w/ Rifle 5.0
Callaway X-Forged Vintage Wedges 50/12, 54/14, 58/10 (C-Grind Sole) w/ Rifle 5.5Yes! Marilyn 33" Z-URS ||| SkyCaddie SG 2.5 ||| Clicgear Model 2.0

• 3 weeks later...
I was fitted earlier today for a set of G-10s with red dot (0.75 degrees flat) -- this was primarily based on the heel of the club striking the ground first (using impact tape). However, I rented Ping irons a year ago that happened to be blue dot (0.75 degrees upright) and hit them great. Also, the web-fit feature on the Ping website suggests blue-dot clubs based on my height and wrist-to-floor measurements. Yet the pro suggests red dot.

I'm a little nervous to go for the red-dot clubs because flatter lie angles enhance ball movement to the right (fade, slice, push, etc), which is already where many of my mis-hits go with current standard callaway clubs.

Thoughts??

• 3 weeks later...
I was fitted earlier today for a set of G-10s with red dot (0.75 degrees flat) -- this was primarily based on the heel of the club striking the ground first (using impact tape). However, I rented Ping irons a year ago that happened to be blue dot (0.75 degrees upright) and hit them great. Also, the web-fit feature on the Ping website suggests blue-dot clubs based on my height and wrist-to-floor measurements. Yet the pro suggests red dot.

I havn't been fitted yet, just did the online static fit and I'm right on the border of Black and Blue, I have a set of my Dad's old Pings and I find I usually either fade or slice and they are Black dots. I didn't do a fitting yet because I just bought some used clubs so I got a set of blue dots. I'll see how they play for me after a few weeks. When I'm ready to buy new clubs I'm really lucky, I can drive 4 or 5 miles and get fitted right at Ping. One of the perks of living in Phoenix.

In the Vision SS Bag:

Driver: r7 superquad 10.5* Reax Reg flex
3-Wood: Pinseeker 15* Reg flex
Hybrid 3: r7 Draw Rescue 19* Reg flexHybrid 4: Rescue Mid 22* Reg flexIrons: G2's 5-PW - TFC 100 Regular Flex Wedges: None yet Putter: Monza SpiderBall: Anything cheap for now

I was just fitted using the Ping color system (buying some new Taylor Made R7 irons). I am 5'-7" with 33" from wrist to floor. The color system says I should be red to black dot. But when I hit the clubs, I was hitting the flatter irons with my toe first. The system said I should be white dot (3* upright). Does that sound crazy to any of you? Right now I have standard lie clubs and my misses are normally right with a toe deep divot (so the upright makes sense).

Also, can the irons be adjusted more than one time? The R7 are a cast iron, so I'm thinking the adjustments afterward can only be limited, is that correct?

• 1 year later...
well I just fitted last weekend by a Ping rep and I was fitted for a white dot, which reallly kinda scares me because at static address I am a orange dot which is 3 degrees flat and the whites are 3 degrees upright. I stand 6' tall but I know i lean over way too much @ address so I am thinking I am going to hold off on ordering a new set until I get a couple of lessons....I just dont want to throw away good money if my swing is going to change after the lessons....signed Really Confused NOW

For me....the webfit was a decent start....but the best results were when I went in and was pingfitted by a gentleman who's been doing it for decades.

6'5"......it was a struggle trying to play off the rack sticks with extensions that werent' very reliable. I really like the simplicity of the pingfit system...yet is fairly thorough. The key is to get 'em and play for a while and then have them fine tuned as a final fitting.

Good luck.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Dub, where did you get fit? I'm also in Augusta.

Years ago was fit to a green dot. Did not buy the clubs at that point. Recently took another look at Ping and was fitted to a blue dot (same as online/chart fit). Effectively, the green dot was covering up my poor swing (essentially a weak grip). The pro that fitted me (just a quick fit of 30 minutes just to see) said it was better to get a couple lessons to straighten out my grip and swing path, then get fitted to a set of clubs that will last. Another place I went seemed ready to just put in a set to make the sale. Something to think about.

As well with Ping, they will adjust the clubs free if your swing changes. Might have to pay shipping costs.

• 4 years later...

I had ping clubs fitted when I first started golf in 2005 at the age of 41. The problem for me was the 1/2 longer than required measurement. I am also 6ft3 but my body was drastically re-arranged when I flew my glider into a tree in 2002. My left leg lost a few inches and my right arm was compressed. I was taller before, but now measure 6ft3.

I used to position the club head 18 inches toward me and nowhere near the ball to hit the darn thing. Lat year I started placing my club directly behind the ball but found I needed to grip down on the shaft by 4 inches to hit the ball properly. (that is impact square on).

People watching say it makes no sense I grip down so far, until they see the result of gripping normally. The club head strikes the ground 3 inches behind the ball every time. I have to grip down. This has shortened the distance all my clubs used to achieve considerably, which for me is a good thing. Hitting a 64 degree wedge 120 yards was a irksome issue to say the least.

I Recently had the club fitting exercise done again and it also stated + 1/2 an inch, but when the guy doing the fitting saw my swing and such he had me on maroon dot and regular length Graphite shafts for my new Ping Karsten clubs.

I wasted many years with up to plus 2" clubs only to find they should have been shorter than regular . I am wondering what this measurement system actually means, having heard others who have not had the crushing experience I had also state the same issues?

It is interesting. I also stand very upright and my swing is ultra short on the backswing side of the equation. So short most are amazed at how far it actually propels the ball..

I get my new Karstens Friday so I will report back what the results are. I did not get all the Karsten wedges as 45 degree pitching wedge?, 50 degree UW and 55 degree SW? My sets coming with the PW and I have three Ping Tour S Rustique wedges already (64/58/54).

Mmmm.

Does anyone know if ping wedges also come with the different color dot schemes? Was wondering what the lie effect on a maroon dot adds to the equation for wedges.

I had ping clubs fitted when I first started golf in 2005 at the age of 41. The problem for me was the 1/2 longer than required measurement. I am also 6ft3 but my body was drastically re-arranged when I flew my glider into a tree in 2002. My left leg lost a few inches and my right arm was compressed. I was taller before, but now measure 6ft3.

I used to position the club head 18 inches toward me and nowhere near the ball to hit the darn thing. Lat year I started placing my club directly behind the ball but found I needed to grip down on the shaft by 4 inches to hit the ball properly. (that is impact square on).

People watching say it makes no sense I grip down so far, until they see the result of gripping normally. The club head strikes the ground 3 inches behind the ball every time. I have to grip down. This has shortened the distance all my clubs used to achieve considerably, which for me is a good thing. Hitting a 64 degree wedge 120 yards was a irksome issue to say the least.

I Recently had the club fitting exercise done again and it also stated + 1/2 an inch, but when the guy doing the fitting saw my swing and such he had me on maroon dot and regular length Graphite shafts for my new Ping Karsten clubs.

I wasted many years with up to plus 2" clubs only to find they should have been shorter than regular . I am wondering what this measurement system actually means, having heard others who have not had the crushing experience I had also state the same issues?

It is interesting. I also stand very upright and my swing is ultra short on the backswing side of the equation. So short most are amazed at how far it actually propels the ball..

I get my new Karstens Friday so I will report back what the results are. I did not get all the Karsten wedges as 45 degree pitching wedge?, 50 degree UW and 55 degree SW? My sets coming with the PW and I have three Ping Tour S Rustique wedges already (64/58/54).

Mmmm.

Does anyone know if ping wedges also come with the different color dot schemes? Was wondering what the lie effect on a maroon dot adds to the equation for wedges.

When you were fitted for the clubs that were too long, did they have you swinging clubs or just base it on your height?  If I remember correctly, a static fitting and dynamic fitting gave completely different results.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Ping color system is a good starting point for clubfitting. From this base, your stance and your swing characteristics help you determine the best lie angle.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit balls for over an hour for the G5s and about the same for the Karstens. At first with the Karstens the fitter would not believe what was happening, tried various shafts that were 1 inch longer than normal to see what I did, but I drop to the center of my stance and slide hands to where the ground arc will be level at impact. Does not matter how long the shaft is if you do this as the distance of arc is always roughly the same.

Some days when I start shanking I go down even further and this produces straight but shorter flight (also higher) shots.

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!