IGNORED

Range Finders: Legal or Not?

Note: This thread is 5891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should range finders be made legal? Explain your choice below.

• Yes
    • No
    • I remain undecided

• Administrator
Read this article for background information , but I have a few reasons why they should be legal:
  1. Pros have accurate yardages. Why can't good players (and duffers, though it benefits duffers not much at all)? Sprinklers have yardages (sometimes they're even accurate), carts have GPS built into them (I hate taking carts), etc.
  2. Speed of play. I play much more quickly when I can pull out a range finder, get my yardage, and pick a club. I'm rarely within 3 yards of a yardage marker despite the fact that my course has them on every sprinkler head in the center of the fairway, every 25 yards. Walking to and from these takes more time than pointing a thing at the flag.
  3. Distance to the hole has become a critical piece of information. Balls, clubs, etc. fly the same distance these days when struck with a similar force. Unlike back in the day, when "feel" was how players chose clubs largely due to the fact that each ball played differently, and shafts were made of wood that played differently depending on things like the temperature and humidity.

I am not in favor of the slope-measuring devices (I turn that feature off on my PinSeeker 1500), nor devices that measure things like wind speed, grain, green firmness, or whatever else might influence a shot. Just yardage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't see the need of making them legal. I think walking around and looking at the yardage markers is just a part of golf. Also, I enjoy walking off yardages to make sure they are correct. I just think the range finders would take away a little of the work part of playing golf.

I must also say that my opinion on this subject isn't very strong. It's not a do or die situation for me by any means. If they are made legal, that will be fine by me. But as far as my opinion goes, I'm fine with the way things are now.

I still play golf at a fast enough pace without the range finders, so that isn't an issue.

It's just not a big deal to me I guess. Call me old-fashioned. :)

I completely agree with Eric on his first two points. I currently use the SkyGolf GPS and have good luck with it

• Administrator
Well, I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I just don't see the need of making them legal. I think walking around and looking at the yardage markers is just a part of golf. Also, I enjoy walking off yardages to make sure they are correct. I just think the range finders would take away a little of the work part of playing golf.

That's really not an opinion, though. The question is "Should they be legalized" and you've answered with a resounding "I don't care." You'll be competing (or at least playing) with people who do care and are thus affected by the rule. Just because I didn't care to use equipment with square grooves or just because I didn't care about disabled golfers didn't mean I didn't have an opinion on Ping's lawsuit or Casey Martin's lawsuit.

In other words, just because you like doing it the "old-fashioned" way, that doesn't preclude you from saying the rule is good or bad. You'll be free to do what you "enjoy" doing. And if you were truly old fashioned, you wouldn't look at sprinkler heads. They're a relatively modern convenience, too. But you knew that... Of course, your "no" vote in the poll says that you think no golfer should be able to use a range finder, which goes against the tone and content of your "things are fine the way they are" comment. What compelling reasons do you have for voting "no"?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, I don't think anyone should be allowed to use range finders. There, I said it. The game is and was fine without them. Don't fix something that isn't broke. That's about as good of a reason as there is to be honest.

Your first reason was your best reason IMO. The pros do have the yardages already, so what would it hurt? Well, you also said the sprinkler heads have yardage markers as well, so don't be so lazy. Just check them out and walk off the yardages. That's my honest opinion about range finders. I think the world is getting more and more lazy every year by making things effortless like this.

Your second reason isn't as valid as you think in my opinion. The speed of play isn't altered near as much by walking around finding yardage markers as it is by golfers addressing the ball for 5 minutes before they swing. I've never played alongside anyone with a range finder, but I guarantee the pace of play wouldn't be very noticeable. If the golfer with the range finder takes forever to step up to the ball and hit it (ala Ben Crane), I'm going to finish the hole twice as fast as he or she will.

The distance aspect isn't that big a deal for me. I trust the yardage markers and hit the club that best fits that distance to me. I don't need to see every distance down to the centimeter to have fun playing golf. I still believe golf is based around feel, and these range finders are just going to take that completely out of golf eventually.

You mentioned that you turn the slope measuring device off on your range finder, but tell me honestly how many golfers will abuse that little tool. I guarantee over 50% will abuse that little tool. And I think if you think deep about it, you will agree with that as well.

The next invention will be a robot you can buy that will hit the golf ball for you. Then, you can just go to carry his bag and watch his entire round of golf. I can stay at home in the air-conditioned room and watch the pros on TV. I don't need all that.

I know it seems minor, but things just keep getting more and more out of line IMO. The distance thing, the range finders, etc. I just don't like it, and that is my opinion. It may be right, it may be wrong. That's neither here nor there though.

There, that was the aggressive opinion from Mr. Thrasher..

• Administrator
Your first reason was your best reason IMO. The pros do have the yardages already, so what would it hurt? Well, you also said the sprinkler heads have yardage markers as well, so don't be so lazy. Just check them out and walk off the yardages. That's my honest opinion about range finders. I think the world is getting more and more lazy every year by making things effortless like this.

It's got nothing to do with laziness, dude. The fact that people are out there prancing all around trying to get yardages instead of figuring out what club they're gonna hit proves it. If you're 20 yards off the center of the fairway (which on some courses is still in the fairway) and 15 yards back and 10 yards forward of the next sprinkler head, and the pin is "yellow," which means it's "back" that day, how much walking do you have to do?

On courses where I don't have my range finder, I walk it. But it takes at least 60 seconds or so to do so, and whipping out the range finder takes about 10. It ain't about being lazy.
Your second reason isn't as valid as you think in my opinion. The speed of play isn't altered near as much by walking around finding yardage markers as it is by golfers addressing the ball for 5 minutes before they swing.

Who said it was? Pace of play was one of the reasons the Tight Lies tour used it. Pace of play is one of the reasons golf courses are putting GPS in their carts now (note: pace of play actually slows down when these carts are restricted to cart path only, but the pace slowed down anyway under such provisions).

Cody, play behind some people who know what they're doing and don't stand over the ball for 5 minutes. Golfers will stand over the ball for 5 minutes regardless of how they got their yardage. Shaving 50 seconds per golfer, however, is a universal change. Range finders, it's estimated, can speed a round up by 10-15 minutes.
I've never played alongside anyone with a range finder, but I guarantee the pace of play wouldn't be very noticeable.

I have. It's noticeable.

If the golfer with the range finder takes forever to step up to the ball and hit it (ala Ben Crane), I'm going to finish the hole twice as fast as he or she will.

Uhm, and you'd finish it even faster if he had to walk off all of his yardages... I'm not sure what you're not getting here. Obtaining a yardage is well outside the realm of the time someone takes to address the ball. They're different events.

The distance aspect isn't that big a deal for me. I trust the yardage markers and hit the club that best fits that distance to me. I don't need to see every distance down to the centimeter to have fun playing golf. I still believe golf is based around feel, and these range finders are just going to take that completely out of golf eventually.

And I mean no offense by this, but your handicap index is still around 15 or so. Mine's around a 5. Better players rely more and more on yardages, right up to the PGA Tour where they rely on yardages down to +/- a yard. The better you are, the more reason you have for caring what the yardage is. As you get better, you'll probably see this.

You mentioned that you turn the slope measuring device off on your range finder, but tell me honestly how many golfers will abuse that little tool. I guarantee over 50% will abuse that little tool. And I think if you think deep about it, you will agree with that as well.

Then those golfers are also the ones likely to roll their ball when nobody's looking. Point is, you can buy a range finder without the slope tool, and golf is an honest man's game.

The next invention will be a robot you can buy that will hit the golf ball for you.

Oh brother. You've gone off the deep end now... Youv'e still gotta hit the damn ball, Cody. Range finders give you a

more precise distance in less time than walking off a yardage using the sprinkler heads. That's it. That all being said, thank you for coming back with more of a response than your first one. Good to have a little debate now. If nothing else, it helps me to affirm my own beliefs.

Well, after just playing a round today on a course I've never played I would hope that a range finder would have helped. I left 2 approach shots short, on good hits, because I estimated my yardage wrong (both pins were on the front edge so I had to guess a distance minus the distance from the center of a green I didn't know the size of). On 2 or 3 other occassions I couldn't tell if the pin was front, back, or middle from my view in the fairway. Most courses I play either have a different colored flag, a small flag at various heights on the stick, or a pin location on the scorecard (1, 2, or 3). If this course would have sold a yardage book I would have bought it.

I'm not good enough to control if I hit my 8 140 instead of 145 but if I know the pin is in that range I should be putting as long as I made a good swing. To me, golf is about hitting the ball solid and putting the ball in the best location to hit the next shot. Knowing the distance to a point isn't cheating, it's smart golf.

Now I need to get me one of those little toys!

Chris
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

Well, I'm in favour of them. Sort of.
I used to think that checking the yardages on sprinkler heads was strictly for Woosies - what was wrong with just LOOKING at the flag in the distance and guessing (AKA getting a feel for) the distance/club thing?
However, I eventually got to learn the benefit of swinging smoothly, confident I had the right club in my hands.
I've never used a range finder, but I imagine that they will be a bit more accurate than some of the distance markers on many courses - I'm sure on some course they either guess the distance, or the piece of string they use has either stretched or shrunk!

My only reservation is that they don't get too advanced and techie orientated. I can just imagine a bunch of old codgers out there fiddling with their 'Fully Loaded Top-of-the-range' models before slinging them into the deep rough in exasperation.
(Don't include ME in that group tho' - I CAN operate the timing device on my VCR...)

Hey Erik,

I am seeing improvment in my game and one of the things I really struggle with is club selection. It's usually to little or to much club. Since I am going to school this year and will be poor again I got a monthly membership at at little "rinkedy dink" course close to my house. So yardage markers are lacking there. How far should your strides be to pace off yardage? Thanks Brandi
It's got nothing to do with laziness, dude. The fact that people are out there prancing all around trying to get yardages instead of figuring out what club they're gonna hit proves it. If you're 20 yards off the center of the fairway (which on some courses is still in the fairway) and 15 yards back and 10 yards forward of the next sprinkler head, and the pin is "yellow," which means it's "back" that day, how much walking do you have to do?

The equipment is there...I'm not!
Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*
Adams Idea 21*Adams Idea 25*Nike CPR 30*Irons 7-SW- Adama IdeaLob Wedge- Cleveland 588 ChromePutter- Nike T100 Oz Blue ChipBall- Best deal I can find on a reputable soft ball

• Administrator
Hey Erik,

Please don't take this short answer to be rude, but your strides should be about a yard...

I played a traditional Scottish links course at the week-end.
'Traditional ' means NO yardage markers of any description, NO trees or objects large enough to give some 3D definition, and NO chance of stopping a ball on the green with Rock Hard conditions!

And the funny thing is... I thoroughly enjoyed it!

However, now don't tell them I said this, but if I had a Range Finder with me...

...I'd have enjoyed it even more!!

I played a traditional Scottish links course at the week-end.

I really don't see the problem with them...especially with the person playing the casual round. I can hear people saying "but golf is supossed to be pure and true" I think some of that went by the way side when people started charging and paying $400+ for a single club.

I might get chastised for this!
The equipment is there...I'm not!
Driver- Callaway X460 HT
3Wood- Callaway X460 15*
Hybrids- Nike CPR 18*
Adams Idea 21*Adams Idea 25*Nike CPR 30*Irons 7-SW- Adama IdeaLob Wedge- Cleveland 588 ChromePutter- Nike T100 Oz Blue ChipBall- Best deal I can find on a reputable soft ball

• 3 weeks later...
I am truly in favor of them!
I have no depth perception and can use all the help I can get to judge distances; that coupled with the fact that I'm new and learning the game.

Chris

• 1 year later...
I definitely feel they should be legal. I'm not going to make any great strides using one, but it simply helps with picking a club. It is the equivalent of a course caddy in my opinion.

Every sport has advances in technology that sometimes are met with resistance. There are even some courses that have carts with GPS units on them.... I say go for it - I like my Sky Caddie.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

Who needs them, Just hire a caddy to go out at 7 AM and step off all yardages and record them in his little book. When you get up for your 1:45
tee time all you have to do is trust your $500,000 per year caddie

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

I am firm believer that range measuring devices should be legal. I don't currently own one, but I will at some point. Here is why:

1. Yardage information is available anyway. There is nothing to stop you from hiring a caddy or making your own yardage book. Why spend the time looking around for a sprinkler head when you can just take a quick measure from where you are.

2. I have to believe it would save time on the course. Public courses are my reality right now. On a busy Saturday anything that can save time is helpful. Sure it doesn't take that long to pace off a shot when you are alone, but when you have people waiting it would be nice to save the extra time.

3. It would be very helpful to beginning golfers. Too many of the rules and limitations in this game favor the elite, not the masses.

I just don't see any real reason other then "we didn't do it my day, so it I don't see why we would do it now". In if that is the case, throw away the cavity backs, grab your persimmon woods and have a great day on the course. Me, I like technology. A range finder wouldn't increase the amount of ability I have, just add some convenience to my life.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

I am firm believer that range measuring devices should be legal. I don't currently own one, but I will at some point. Here is why:

Boy, was this thread ever dredged up from the archives...

Anyway, rangefinders ARE legal now. They can be used for handicap rounds, and they can be used in tournaments if the club has instituted a local rule allowing them. My Men's Club did so this year, and I'd say that about 50% of the guys now use either a rangefinder or a GPS. I have a Nikon rangefinder, and it is just wnat I need without making me overly dependent on it. I CAN still make shots without it. I know a guy who is already so stuck to his GPS that he walked off the course the other day when his battery died on his Sky Caddy. And I agree that it makes for a more confident swing when you at least are certain that you have the right club in hand.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 9 months later...
I am strongly in favour of rangefinders or G.P.S. units. On my home course I find I know the course well enough that I do not need them but when playing other courses Especially in competitions they are extremely useful.

Note: This thread is 5891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!