or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows) - Page 17

post #289 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Wow, looks great! This is a neat feature.

By the way, that sprained toe must've really hurt, eh?
Actually I was just making stuff up at random dates. You can add markers for whatever you want: new equipment, injury, lessons, changes in weather, whatever.
post #290 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Ha, I see.

Pretty cool. Anxious for CP to release it.
post #291 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Anxious for CP to release it.
+1. Just started using Scorecard via the 5 round trial, will buy 2.0 upon release. During HS golf season, I don't play many non-school associated matches(we practice on the course 4-5 times a week), and HS golf near us means 9 holes, so I plan to buy 2.0 when it is released.
post #292 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Several Pieces of Great News Everyone

One: Beta testing begins very soon.

Two: Upgrades will be $14.95 for all 1.x customers...

Three: ... who bought prior to 2009. Anyone who bought (or buys)
Scorecard 1.x in 2009 will receive a free upgrade to 2.0.
We'll email
everyone who is eligible when 2.0's released.

Yes, that makes my previous offer irrelevant.
post #293 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

I have a stat tracking question regarding U&D and putts.

I've read before where you've stated that a putt from the fringe is not a putt. So with that in mind, say I hit a 100yd approach and it ends up on the collar next to the first cut (ball on the fringe, almost in the longer grass). If I choose to putt, end up at 3 feet and then hole it out have I gotten U&D with a 3ft 1 putt? Thanks for any clarification.
post #294 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

I would think it depends... What was your score on the hole? If it took you 4 strokes to get to the fringe and then you putt to 3 feet and hole that for a double bogey I would not consider that an up and down. Also for stat tracking, in your scenario you would hot have reached the green in regulation. Now if you were on the fringe in two and par'd the hole I would say yes, you have yourself an up and down. Still no GIR though...
post #295 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by GDWindowpane View Post
I would think it depends... What was your score on the hole? If it took you 4 strokes to get to the fringe and then you putt to 3 feet and hole that for a double bogey I would not consider that an up and down. Also for stat tracking, in your scenario you would hot have reached the green in regulation. Now if you were on the fringe in two and par'd the hole I would say yes, you have yourself an up and down. Still no GIR though...
I don't think this is correct, the Up and Down stat is autonomous from the total score on the hole, it doesn't "depend". From my understanding it doesn't matter if you're trying to get up and down for birdie, par, bogey, or bogey+ you are still trying to get up on the green and into the hole in 1+1 strokes...

I could of course be totally wrong...

BTW GIR is totally separate from the context of this question, I have no confusion regarding GIR and don't understand how that entered the equation.
post #296 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by Lefty22 View Post
I don't think this is correct, the Up and Down stat is autonomous from the total score on the hole, it doesn't "depend". From my understanding it doesn't matter if you're trying to get up and down for birdie, par, bogey, or bogey+ you are still trying to get up on the green and into the hole in 1+1 strokes...

I could of course be totally wrong...
Up and down is only valid for a score of par or better. This logic does not apply to sand saves.
post #297 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Up and down is only valid for a score of par or better. This logic does not apply to sand saves.
Then someone should tell the golf announcers - all of them - because they constantly state that a player is trying to get up and down for bogey.

I disagree. If this were true I really think the UD box would be disabled in Scorecard if the score for the hole was bogey or worse. As a rule they have done a very good job of anticipating the values based on a stat being mathematically eliminated (5 with two putts on a par 5 sets GIR to NO automatically, no fairway entry on par 3 holes) so I don't think they would leave the UD stat with entry capability if it was not valid in that scenario.

The only difference in UD and SS is one you started from the sand and the other you started from grass (or another non-sand hazard surface).

Once again, I am not asking about the definition of GIR or the actual definition of Up and Down. I am asking if you use a putter to perform the action of getting on the putting surface and then into the hole in two strokes are you 2 putting or are you getting up and down. If your answer has anything to do with the total score on the hole and your name isn't Erik then I respectfully disagree...
post #298 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by Lefty22 View Post
Then someone should tell the golf announcers - all of them - because they constantly state that a player is trying to get up and down for bogey.

I disagree. If this were true I really think the UD box would be disabled in Scorecard if the score for the hole was bogey or worse. As a rule they have done a very good job of anticipating the values based on a stat being mathematically eliminated (5 with two putts on a par 5 sets GIR to NO automatically, no fairway entry on par 3 holes) so I don't think they would leave the UD stat with entry capability if it was not valid in that scenario.

The only difference in UD and SS is one you started from the sand and the other you started from grass (or another non-sand hazard surface).

Once again, I am not asking about the definition of GIR or the actual definition of Up and Down. I am asking if you use a putter to perform the action of getting on the putting surface and then into the hole in two strokes are you 2 putting or are you getting up and down. If your answer has anything to do with the total score on the hole and your name isn't Erik then I respectfully disagree...
Fair enough, but I'm getting my information from the Scorecard user manual.

It states in there that you can choose how you personally want to keep track of the U&D stat but notes that you should use a consistent application so as to not produce invalid results. Therefore, I assume this is why U&D is never disallowed per hole.

But the official definition is, according to the Scorecard user manual, is par or better.
post #299 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by ChappyEight View Post
Fair enough, but I'm getting my information from the Scorecard user manual.

It states in there that you can choose how you personally want to keep track of the U&D stat but notes that you should use a consistent application so as to not produce invalid results. Therefore, I assume this is why U&D is never disallowed per hole.

But the official definition is, according to the Scorecard user manual, is par or better.
Thanks for pointing me to the manual but this is one of the reasons I don't want to make the definition part of this discussion - the piece you reference is a best practice suggestion.

Originally Posted by Scorecard User Guide
Up and Down (UD)
I credit myself with an up and down when I am within 100 yards of the green in regula-
tion (but not on the green) and I par or birdie the hole. On holes where Iʼve had to punch
out sideways after driving the ball in the trees, Iʼm not eligible for an “up and down,” so I
simply leave that square of my scorecard blank. A sand save for par does not count as
an up and down - in general, you cannot have a sand save and an up and down on the
same hole.

Players with higher handicaps may wish to apply the same logic as used for Sand
Saves
- getting the ball up and down, regardless of their score for the hole.
Basically that part of the guide makes us both right, the author (Erik I assume) states that they do not count this stat except under certain scores but that it is still a valid stat outside that context.

So let's try again - to remove the problem that seems to be obfuscating the real question - different scenario:

* Hit tee shot in fairway on par 4 hole leaving 125 yards
* Hit 125 approach to fringe of the green against the first cut (I guess this is the collar of the green?) 30 feet from the hole
* Hit putter from fringe to 3 feet
* Hole out from three feet

Now the $.02 question - which of the following is true:
A.) You just two putt from 30 feet
B.) You just got Up and Down with a 1 putt from 3 feet
C.) Neither A or B - A fairway - one putt - NO GIR - with no other stat recorded

Thanks.
post #300 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

B.
You got up and down...

It does not not matter what club you use to "chip" or get on the green. It is only a putt if you are on the putting surface.

Think of it this way... If you are off the putting surface you can not mark and clean your ball like you would while putting. So, you are only putting when on the putting surface.


Originally Posted by Lefty22 View Post
* Hit tee shot in fairway on par 4 hole leaving 125 yards
* Hit 125 approach to fringe of the green against the first cut (I guess this is the collar of the green?) 30 feet from the hole
* Hit putter from fringe to 3 feet
* Hole out from three feet

Now the $.02 question - which of the following is true:
A.) You just two putt from 30 feet
B.) You just got Up and Down with a 1 putt from 3 feet
C.) Neither A or B - A fairway - one putt - NO GIR - with no other stat recorded

Thanks.
post #301 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

B.

If you don't give your self a GIR (which you shouldn't, you didn't hit the green) then you are not "putting" your next shot. You got up and down from off the green for par.

FWIW - I only use up and down versus par. I don't give myself an UD unless it is to save par. I use the UD as a save statistic and therefore if I miss a green and don't make par, it was unsuccessful. If I make par, it was successful. If it is a par 5, and my second shot comes up just short of the green, and I chip to a distance then make the putt, I didn't need to get up and down to make par and therefore don't select anything for that stat.

But, to each his own, and like it says, just make sure you are consistent in the way you keep your stats and use it for how you want to evaluate your game.
post #302 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Thanks for the clarification and all the replies; it seemed to me that B was appropriate as well.
post #303 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by Lefty22 View Post
* Hit tee shot in fairway on par 4 hole leaving 125 yards
* Hit 125 approach to fringe of the green against the first cut (I guess this is the collar of the green?) 30 feet from the hole
* Hit putter from fringe to 3 feet
* Hole out from three feet

Now the $.02 question - which of the following is true:
A.) You just two putt from 30 feet
B.) You just got Up and Down with a 1 putt from 3 feet
C.) Neither A or B - A fairway - one putt - NO GIR - with no other stat recorded
B... and everything about "C" except the "neither B" part.

Fairway, 4, 1 putt, Up and Down, no GIR... and 3 feet for first putt distance.
post #304 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Request:

Change or allow the user to define the font size for the Web Site table text.

Right now the default size is 9 point font. I can hardly read that on my web site so I edited the .css file to a 11 point. Every time Scorecard exports a score it also re-rights the .css file with the original 9 point font call.


In the styles.css


table.index tr td, table.index tr td a
{
font-family: 'ProFont X', profont, monaco, monospace;
font-size: 9px;
}
post #305 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by kregan View Post
Change or allow the user to define the font size for the Web Site table text.
Unlikely we'll allow that just because this is the first request we've had for it.

But you're on a Mac IIRC, so just open the Scorecard bundle, go into Resources, and edit "style.css" yourself. All the app does is copy that file out, so your changes should last (until you update the application itself).

Or change the permissions on your server to be read-only. You might want to update it now and then with fresh copies (we occasionally make a change to the .css file), but that should work too.
post #306 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

That will work... thanks

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
just open the Scorecard bundle, go into Resources, and edit "style.css" yourself. All the app does is copy that file out,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)