or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows) - Page 22

post #379 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by luckyluke699 View Post
Does anyone else on here use Linux, and have they tried getting score card to work under WINE? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask just in case...
It could work. I know one guy runs it under CrossOver.
post #380 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
It could work. I know one guy runs it under CrossOver.
Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear. Cheers for such a speedy response Iacas. Crossover is proprietary and is based on WINE, so there's a fair chance it might work under WINE. I shall give it a go later tonight with the demo version and if all works purchase a full copy!
post #381 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by luckyluke699 View Post
Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear. Cheers for such a speedy response Iacas. Crossover is proprietary and is based on WINE, so there's a fair chance it might work under WINE. I shall give it a go later tonight with the demo version and if all works purchase a full copy!
Let me know too. I'll be interested in hearing. It uses the .net package and a graphic library you may need to install (I wouldn't have a clue how to do that under WINE), so I hope it works.

BTW, to everyone else, we've had a few updates recently so make sure you have the latest version.
post #382 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

ALoha all,
why not use a free solution uch as www.imuagolf.com or www.myscorecard.com.
Much better to use an online version instead

A Hui Hou!
post #383 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by daviking View Post
ALoha all,
why not use a free solution uch as www.imuagolf.com or www.myscorecard.com.
Much better to use an online version instead

A Hui Hou!
Anyone up for bets on how long it will take until this post is deleted?

(not to mention myscorecard.com isn't free)
post #384 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by jamo View Post
Anyone up for bets on how long it will take until this post is deleted?

(not to mention myscorecard.com isn't free)
I don't know, I wouldn't blame Erik for deleting it in this thread (since it's off topic) but I think it's worth noting that Erik is quite fair regarding discussions of other solutions on his forums. When it's on topic, such messages are not deleted.

Personally, I think Scorecard has a huge benefit over the online solutions in that your data is yours---no relying on a third party to store it. I post my scores on "some other" site, but I also store them in Scorecard (and post them online via the Scorecard HTML export option, see the link at the bottom of my post). If I were just using the "other" site, I'd still separately store all my scores in some other way. Even if I suck at golf, I like knowing that I won't lose my score history if a business I have no control over goes kaput.
post #385 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by zeg View Post
I don't know, I wouldn't blame Erik for deleting it in this thread (since it's off topic) but I think it's worth noting that Erik is quite fair regarding discussions of other solutions on his forums. When it's on topic, such messages are not deleted.

Personally, I think Scorecard has a huge benefit over the online solutions in that your data is yours---no relying on a third party to store it. I post my scores on "some other" site, but I also store them in Scorecard (and post them online via the Scorecard HTML export option, see the link at the bottom of my post). If I were just using the "other" site, I'd still separately store all my scores in some other way. Even if I suck at golf, I like knowing that I won't lose my score history if a business I have no control over goes kaput.
Oh ya i agree with you, the poster has it coming.

I too use Scorecard.
post #386 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by zeg View Post
I don't know, I wouldn't blame Erik for deleting it in this thread (since it's off topic)
It is off topic, yes. And obviously I know that online solutions exist, as do people who have crafted their own Excel spreadsheets. Like you said, there are plenty of benefits and reasons to use Scorecard over the others. If the reasons don't match up with what you want, so be it. But if they do, great, and I think Scorecard is a great solution for you.

I'll put it this way: nobody's ever really had a complaint about Scorecard (having a demo helps). The things people wanted added from 1.0 were added in 2.0... and with 3.0, we're looking at giving everyone free online hosting with stat comparisons if we can figure out how to make that work smoothly. I've found that you tend to get what you pay for in life (which may not be the smartest thing to say on a free forum, ha ).

That said, again, this is off topic, so let's nip it here.
post #387 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
...with 3.0, we're looking at giving everyone free online hosting with stat comparisons if we can figure out how to make that work smoothly...
I'm very interested in where you're going with this statement. Additionally, I'd be more than willing to help devise a solution... Seriously, shoot me a PM. This is right up my alley.
post #388 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by jamo View Post
Anyone up for bets on how long it will take until this post is deleted?

(not to mention myscorecard.com isn't free)
I am aware of plenty of online ones, most of which are free, but don't meet my requirements . For me it is between scorecard, and teedroid.

Simply put spreadsheets are fine but as soon as with everything in life, you have to make a simple call... Cost versus Benefits.

How long would it take you to make a spreadsheet that does everything this app does (I want the ability to snapshot and track progress etc), and do you value that total time at more, or less than $24?
post #389 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Hi- I ran through the thread and looked but could not find if Scorecard has a feature for tracking the length of drives? If not any plan to add it? Thanks
post #390 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by granitegolf View Post
Hi- I ran through the thread and looked but could not find if Scorecard has a feature for tracking the length of drives? If not any plan to add it? Thanks
We answered you over a year ago: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...l=1#post228505.

I've also answered the question several times before that, IIRC. I see no valid point in including driving distance and we have to walk a fine line between asking enough of the user to generate valid stats but not asking too much or people won't want to enter their rounds. As it is, I think we have the perfect balance: people can enter a round in about 30 seconds and we get 35+ meaningful statistics.
post #391 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

I was using Scorecard up until 6 months ago. I had a collision of events that ended with losing my Scorecard database, getting a Blackberry and using Intelligolf on a XP machine. I like some of Intelligolf's features like the GPS and entering scores on my Blackberry while playing. But it isn't a very visually attractive GUI and while I know that looks shouldn't count in a statistics program for some reason looks do, I also still like the way statistics are treated better in Scorecard.
I still have scorecard working on my Mac with no data and I'm thinking I'll try using both Intelligolf and Scorecard this spring. That may or may not be too cumbersome.
Are there any moves toward making Scorecard usable with smart phones other than the iphone?
Maybe including some sort of GPS function?
post #392 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by dbwood View Post
Are there any moves toward making Scorecard usable with smart phones other than the iphone?
Maybe including some sort of GPS function?
No plans at all. We don't even do the Windows version - it's subcontracted out. We're Apple developers. And the iPhone app has almost as many lines of code as the regular app... which is kinda scary.

No plans for a GPS function. That's antithetical to what Scorecard's about, and part of the reason we can keep the price so low is because it's a finely tuned app that does one task really well. If we tried to make it "everything to all golfers" it'd fail as a product.
post #393 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

All I can add it that I have tried many and used some golf performance tracking software tools, and ScoreCard 2 is the best, most natural to use product I have seen. I give it the highest marks. My problem is I play lots of rounds where I don't bother to keep the data permanently because I am playing a special way... such as trying to hit all fades on approach shots, or using hybrids rather than long irons, or chipping every shot off the green even if a putt like shot is a better choice -- that kind of experimentation can be entered in the program, but probably should not be a part of your long term statistics (just an opinion.) It is interesting to see how "experiments" differ from your normal statistics, and the program works well for that, too.
post #394 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Finally got it and have the app already installed on my iPhone. I should be posting scores soon.
post #395 of 502

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Is anyone else using the iPhone app? I loaded my courses this morning, successfully sync'd to the iPhone. I noticed an error on the course this afternoon (flipped a par 4 and 5) and corrected on the PC when I got home, but now it won't sync. I'm on my home wireless network now instead of work.

BTW - I like the interface and the ability to enter data directly on the course. It's quite effortless actually.
post #396 of 502
Thread Starter 

Re: Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
Is anyone else using the iPhone app? I loaded my courses this morning, successfully sync'd to the iPhone. I noticed an error on the course this afternoon (flipped a par 4 and 5) and corrected on the PC when I got home, but now it won't sync. I'm on my home wireless network now instead of work.

BTW - I like the interface and the ability to enter data directly on the course. It's quite effortless actually.
You've gone into the Sync menu on your iPhone with your application running on your computer and chosen "Sync" and clicked the computer name on your iPhone? Your Windows computer (assumption) and network have a relatively open firewall that lets you connect?? And your iPhone is on the same wireless network?

This isn't really the place for support, so check out the forums at Cynical Peak if you need more support.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)