or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Your opinion of Clone Clubs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your opinion of Clone Clubs - Page 10

post #163 of 183

Once again clone clubs are totally different than copies made in China

. Most of the clubs made in South East Asia are copies and look exactly like the real clubs. Unfortunately I purchased a set from China and I was totally misinformed by the sales department. They told me that they were real clubs but after close examination the font was in the wrong place and too large, the swing weights were totally off, the grips were designed for Asians, and were the worst clubs I have ever played with and I used to be a scratch golfer.My handicap now is  a 6. I had to replace each and every club and shafts, including a driver and 3 wood. The balls were also copies, not true Pro V1.

Please

 do not purchase anything directly from China!

post #164 of 183
Not quite sure what age has to do with pulling a cart. There are enough people under 45 who have bad backs, perhaps a shoulder injury that precludes trying to put a bag on your back. I belong to a private golf club where better than 80% of the members pull a cart. To consider pulling a cart as tacky is a very elitist attitude. Do you look in disdain at the golfer that drives into your club in a rusty 95 Toyata as not worthy of being in your group because you've spent more n your clubs than they I'd in their car? I currently play OEM clubs but I used to play what you consider a clone I got into building my own clubs and ordered heads , shafts and grips. I learned about swing weights, shaft tweaking etc. my current job takes a lot of hours and I no longer have the time to do all my tweaking. I have found that evenoemproducts come in off spec in regard to lofts, lies and lengths as well. I do use iron covers. It protects my $1000 investment in irons, as well as the shaft of my driver getting dinged up by the irons bouncing into it.
Back to the clones when I played in a legue there were a l ot of guys that had the newest and greatest irons, drivers etc that couldn't break 50 for nine holes. I regularly shot par with my clones.guess how many guys had me build them clubs like mine, properly fit, these guys dropped their handicaps and shot better scores than they do with their ill fitting clubs from the oems. Judging someone by looking in their bag is not only poor form but foolish as well. Never judge until get to know someone. Remember what you say about someone reveals more about you than the person you're talking about.
post #165 of 183

I feel the same way about cloned clubs as I do about fake jordan shoes....stay away from them. Not for performance reasons so much but ebay and tons of places are available to obtain the real deal instead of buying what I like to call no other then a knock off!

post #166 of 183

my dad has a set of r11 iron clones clones(ti 11 irons) and he is very good golfer 

Its the swing not the clubs guys 

post #167 of 183

Avoid the clones -

 

You're allowing the maker to basically steal Intellectual Property from the authentic maker.

 

Buy the real thing in the used or older model bin in two years.

post #168 of 183
There's a difference between clones, fake/counterfeit and open models. Learn the difference. Everything is copied from something. You Scotty Cameron users should know this.
post #169 of 183

Spending a dime on clone clubs is moronic . You're buying a club that "looks just like " a Ping , Cobra , etc . It's the junk inside that hurts you . It's also a bit ironic that alot of guys who are offended by this criticism  of clones say they play them because  they don't want to spend big bucks , and who cares about name brands . In reality they just want people to recognize their "name " brand clubs . You get what you pay for , and even a beginner would be better off buying a cheap set of name brand clubs from a big golf warehouse store ..

post #170 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman777 View Post

Spending a dime on clone clubs is moronic . You're buying a club that "looks just like " a Ping , Cobra , etc . It's the junk inside that hurts you . It's also a bit ironic that alot of guys who are offended by this criticism  of clones say they play them because  they don't want to spend big bucks , and who cares about name brands . In reality they just want people to recognize their "name " brand clubs . You get what you pay for , and even a beginner would be better off buying a cheap set of name brand clubs from a big golf warehouse store ..

You know not of what you speak in some cases. "You get what you pay for" is a moronic/ ignorant statement.
post #171 of 183

I just bought a whole set plus more of some Pinemeadow clubs (clones) since I'm new to the game. I've played about 10 rounds over a 1 1/2 years span and I'm what you would expect from a new golfer skill wise. I haven't calculated my handicap but I'm sure it's way up there. Over the 1 1/2 year span I've been using a mix of hand me down Top-Flites from my brother and randoms that felt good from the local Value VIllage. I went with Pinemeadow for a few reasons. 

 

- They have pretty good reviews for an off brand/ clone clubmaker. 

- I personally think their clubs look good.

- I'm not all that skilled yet.

- Prices are ridiculousy low (espeacially around Christmas when I bought my clubs and bag).

- Not sure if I'll stick with game as much as I think I love it. 

 

The way I see it is if you haven't tried it, then you shouldn't knock it.

 

The problem with someone knocking "clone clubs" is that he/she is knocking a whole category of different clubs with out trying them all. One wouldn't ever say "OEM clubs are crap, I don't like them" but one might say, "TaylorMades are crap, I don't like them." Get the picture here? So, Pinemeadows may very well be a good club maker, but the person who tried another clone brand that he/she found to be crap and now says "clone clubs are crap" and automatically puts Pinemeadow or any other clone club maker in the same category. Just because one didn't like the TaylorMade's he/she tried, would he/she say "OEM clubs are crap?" No way. My 2 cents. 

post #172 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacktActor View Post
 

I just bought a whole set plus more of some Pinemeadow clubs (clones) since I'm new to the game. I've played about 10 rounds over a 1 1/2 years span and I'm what you would expect from a new golfer skill wise. I haven't calculated my handicap but I'm sure it's way up there. Over the 1 1/2 year span I've been using a mix of hand me down Top-Flites from my brother and randoms that felt good from the local Value VIllage. I went with Pinemeadow for a few reasons.

 

- They have pretty good reviews for an off brand/ clone clubmaker.

- I personally think their clubs look good.

- I'm not all that skilled yet.

- Prices are ridiculousy low (espeacially around Christmas when I bought my clubs and bag).

- Not sure if I'll stick with game as much as I think I love it.

 

The way I see it is if you haven't tried it, then you shouldn't knock it.

 

The problem with someone knocking "clone clubs" is that he/she is knocking a whole category of different clubs with out trying them all. One wouldn't ever say "OEM clubs are crap, I don't like them" but one might say, "TaylorMades are crap, I don't like them." Get the picture here? So, Pinemeadows may very well be a good club maker, but the person who tried another clone brand that he/she found to be crap and now says "clone clubs are crap" and automatically puts Pinemeadow or any other clone club maker in the same category. Just because one didn't like the TaylorMade's he/she tried, would he/she say "OEM clubs are crap?" No way. My 2 cents.

The nature of clone clubs is the clone maker steals the head design of the major manufacturers, finishes them so they resemble the copied club head but aren't 100% duplicate to avoid lawsuits and then sells them usually at cheaper price.  They are a step above the fakes that come from China only because they are sold as clones.

 

I prefer to own clubs, even if they are used, that came from the actual manufacturer who has made an investment in ensuring the clubs perform as advertised and meet QA specifications.  Given you just joined TST and both your posts are touting Pinemeadow clubs I'm thinking there's a good chance you're a spammer, but we'll see. 

post #173 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

The nature of clone clubs is the clone maker steals the head design of the major manufacturers, finishes them so they resemble the copied club head but aren't 100% duplicate to avoid lawsuits and then sells them usually at cheaper price.  They are a step above the fakes that come from China only because they are sold as clones.

 

I prefer to own clubs, even if they are used, that came from the actual manufacturer who has made an investment in ensuring the clubs perform as advertised and meet QA specifications.  Given you just joined TST and both your posts are touting Pinemeadow clubs I'm thinking there's a good chance you're a spammer, but we'll see. 

No sir not a spammer here. When I pick up my clubs in a week or so I'll post some pictures. My posts are only referencing Pinemeadow because those are the clubs I actually bought. I also respect the whole Research and Development argument from the OEM's. That's one of the main reasons why clones are cheaper, they don't do R&D. However, that doesn't mean they're lesser quality clubs. Truth is, I will find out sooner than later and I'll have a first hand opinion on them. But also, until I play with my brothers Nike VRS's and my buddies Callaway's, I won't have anything to compare them too on the OEM side. I do plan on doing this to see what kind of value I got.

post #174 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacktActor View Post
 

No sir not a spammer here. When I pick up my clubs in a week or so I'll post some pictures. My posts are only referencing Pinemeadow because those are the clubs I actually bought. I also respect the whole Research and Development argument from the OEM's. That's one of the main reasons why clones are cheaper, they don't do R&D. However, that doesn't mean they're lesser quality clubs. Truth is, I will find out sooner than later and I'll have a first hand opinion on them. But also, until I play with my brothers Nike VRS's and my buddies Callaway's, I won't have anything to compare them too on the OEM side. I do plan on doing this to see what kind of value I got.

If your budget was limited and you were fit for the clubs (something that isn't typically an option with used clubs) it makes more sense to go with clones.

 

I wouldn't put too much stock into comparing them head to head against your brothers and friends clubs unless they are set up with the same shaft as your clubs.  There are a few guys on here that own / owned clone clubs so I'm sure you'll get some more feedback on them.

 

BTW, welcome to the Sand Trap!

post #175 of 183

Just my 3 cents. When I first started, I bought "clone" clubs from a popular golf outlet here in so. cali. Next day I went to the range to practice with them. I started with the PW and worked my way to the longer irons,  but at that time hitting anything more than a 7 iron was hopeless. So I went back to my 9 iorn, after about 4 hits, the club head flew off, and landed about 15 yards down range, so I had to call the range Marshall, ect. Had about 20 balls left, so I grab my 8i, a few balls later, same thing, and then one of the shafts broke.

 

I wasn't a happy camper to say the least. Took them back, and asked for a refund, being that I only had them for 2 days, they refused, but offered to repair them, so I did that. Got them back, and sold them for some Top Flite irons. While that may have been a fluke thing, I always bought Name brands after that. I know there's guys making clubs in their back yards that sell a set of irons for 200.00, is it worth it..?

post #176 of 183

If you use quality components and you dont care about brand name, its worth it.  Not to mention it would be kind of cool to assemble your own clubs.  Youve got to figure how much youd save on not having to pay for someone to assemble your clubs for you and what youre not paying for some big brand name.

About snapping the shaft of your clubs, Ive sold name brand clubs (Nikes and always clubs with graphite shafts) on Ebay and a few weeks later got a message from the buyer stating they snapped one of the shafts, supposedly the first time they used them, so that problem isnt limited to clones.  Luckily for me, Ebay only requires that clubs show up in the condition the seller described them, so the buyer was on their own the instant they took the clubs out of the box.

post #177 of 183

I recently got some Gigagolf irons, woods, and 56* wedge. I really like the wedge. Until I play an actual round, I'm not sure, but the irons seem more accurate, and the woods seem pretty good. Of course, my comparison is to 15 year old Wilson Staff irons, and cheap woods.

 

Like others have said, price and customization options were my primary reasons for getting them. I'd love to have OEM clubs set up for me, but I don't have the funds. I got all of those clubs the way I wanted for just over $300, with a nice free bag.

post #178 of 183

Some people have the idea that "name brands" are only the ones they see on TV. There are plenty of clubs that have just as much quality and are held to specifications just as high or higher than some of the more popular brands (and you aren't paying for the endorsements).

 

I've played with Tailormade for a long time but they are no better than something like KCG or similar brand that club fitters use. If I had it to do over again I would have had a certified club fitter build me a set of something like KCG or Wishon. The lower cost of the clubs comes close to offsetting the cost of the club fitter, and then every club would be custom fit.

 

Some day when I have some time and extra money (the two don't go together often) I'm going to take a road trip to a certified fitter and have a set built.

post #179 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Some people have the idea that "name brands" are only the ones they see on TV. There are plenty of clubs that have just as much quality and are held to specifications just as high or higher than some of the more popular brands (and you aren't paying for the endorsements).

I've played with Tailormade for a long time but they are no better than something like KZG or similar brand that club fitters use. If I had it to do over again I would have had a certified club fitter build me a set of something like KZG or Wishon. The lower cost of the clubs comes close to offsetting the cost of the club fitter, and then every club would be custom fit.

Some day when I have some time and extra money (the two don't go together often) I'm going to take a road trip to a certified fitter and have a set built.

Fixed it for ya.a2_wink.gif
post #180 of 183

This year I wanted to experiment with a regular 4 and 5 iron compared to the 4 and 5 hybrid I had in my set.  I bought the two irons from Gigagolf and used them half of the year.  These two clubs became my go to clubs in a lot of situations and cost wise each club was only $20 so for a total of $40 I was able to test what I needed without having to spend a ton of money. 

 

For beginners and people on a budget clone clubs are a good option as long as they understand what they are getting into.  As a player improves then the investment can be made for better clubs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Your opinion of Clone Clubs