or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Your opinion of Clone Clubs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your opinion of Clone Clubs - Page 3

post #37 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

This is one of the few times I have not felt the need to comment but I will post a short one anyway.

Clone clubs are black and white, everyone knows what they are about, and will buy them for a reason, that reason most the time being money.

Everyone has the right to an opinion but is a four page thread about not liking clone clubs and iron head covers really worth it? especially when your saying the same thing over and over again.

I play golf with someone because they are good company, and I enjoy spending my time with them, not because they are rich or poor, a good golfer or a terrible golfer, or if they have a bag full of Callaways or a bag full of Callowayz.

Golf at heart is a social sport where you spend time with the people you get on with, the clubs they use is a non issue, and on that note I shall end with; Why does it matter so much if a golfer uses clone clubs or real clubs?
post #38 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
Everyone has the right to an opinion but is a four page thread about not liking clone clubs and iron head covers really worth it?
What does this mean? Is it worth what?
Do you mean is it worth the space it takes up on the internet?
or worth having a forum for?

You cannot mean is it worth your time, because you new ahead of time it was a 4 page thread on clone clubs(the iron covers were a side topic perhaps better suited for its own thread) You, and everyone on this forum gets to choose what they read, if they do not want to read it then don't. It is completely irrational to come in a say a thread that is generating a good debate is not worth it.

Threads like this are why forums exist.
post #39 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by SparkyRedick View Post
What does this mean? Is it worth what?
Do you mean is it worth the space it takes up on the internet?
or worth having a forum for?

You cannot mean is it worth your time, because you new ahead of time it was a 4 page thread on clone clubs(the iron covers were a side topic perhaps better suited for its own thread) You, and everyone on this forum gets to choose what they read, if they do not want to read it then don't. It is completely irrational to come in a say a thread that is generating a good debate is not worth it.

Threads like this are why forums exist.

It's slightly irrational to call this a debate ironically, especially a good debate, there two points being thrown back and forth, clone clubs are bad and clone clubs are good each point being defended by a loose claim, so I would not call this a debate personally.

I say is it worth it because.... at the end of the day they do not affect you directly, they do not affect me, or mikelz or tiger_who etc they are just golfers who use clubs with a slightly different name on the back of the club, if this makes you feel sick I suggest you go and get a bucket.
post #40 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by SparkyRedick View Post
In the golf world it is seen as an unfair advantage if you are pulling your clubs while others are carrying their own. If you have a legitimate health reason for a pull cart, or are over the age of 45 you will typically not get the usual pull cart scorn.
An unfair advantage? In what golf world?

Pro golfers have people(caddies) schlepping their bags around the course for them... I suppose this gives them(the pros) an "unfair advantage". Sheesh!

I can hear it now... SparkyRedick and his cohorts... "You know guys, [Insert ANY Pro Golfers Name Here], is pretty good... but, if they(the Pros) had to schlep their own bag like us... I'm sure we could take them at our local Muni... After all, we do know this course"... "Yup I know we could...Next round is on me guys".

*rolling my eyes*
post #41 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

How are trolleys an unfair advantage when everyone is allowed to use them?
post #42 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
It's slightly irrational to call this a debate ironically, especially a good debate, there two points being thrown back and forth, clone clubs are bad and clone clubs are good each point being defended by a loose claim, so I would not call this a debate personally.
I think you are correct here, perhaps I should have referred to this as a discussion rather than a debate.

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
I say is it worth it because.... at the end of the day they do not affect you directly, they do not affect me, or mikelz or tiger_who etc they are just golfers who use clubs with a slightly different name on the back of the club, if this makes you feel sick I suggest you go and get a bucket.
Not as much that it makes me sick, but that it makes me lose respect for the golfer initially. Not that they cannot earn that respect back, but as "mybloodinvt" said on page 4, clones are a disgrace to the game.
post #43 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
How are trolleys an unfair advantage when everyone is allowed to use them?
Great use of the word 'trolley'. Now I can speak some English English if I ever get over there.
post #44 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by SparkyRedick View Post
Imagine a car expert that drives a hyundai. They would get no respect in the car community.
This statement again proves you assume a lot and talk out your rear or are in fact 13 years old.

I own a Hyundai that was bought new and purchased over Toyota, Ford, Chevy..

Why? because I did a lot of research and the Hyundai was a better vehicle hands down. I work at a financial institution where we do a lot of car loans and help people find new cars and what is recommended most? Hyundai or Toyota.

As for clones, a pull cart, and iron covers I have all three and I have beat players with name brand clubs, no cart, or iron covers.

As for buying clones I did the research and found that the clones in some cases where the best choice for my game at the time. I also bout name brand clubs when they where they where the best choice.

And by the way my first college degree was Automotive Engineering so I am kind of an expert.
post #45 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by SparkyRedick View Post
Not as much that it makes me sick, but that it makes me lose respect for the golfer initially. Not that they cannot earn that respect back, but as "mybloodinvt" said on page 4, clones are a disgrace to the game.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but who are you that someone would care if you respect them or not? I think the real issue is golf elitists who feel that what someone has in their golf bag defines them as a golfer, that is very sad.
post #46 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Three points in one post and I completely disagree with all of them.
Originally Posted by shredfit View Post
An unfair advantage? In what golf world?
There is an undeniable advantage to not having that weight on your shoulders and back for 18 holes. However small you think this advantage is, or large I think it is, it does exist. Simple physics and chemistry of energy output and muscle usage.

Originally Posted by shredfit View Post
Pro golfers have people(caddies) schlepping their bags around the course for them... I suppose this gives them(the pros) an "unfair advantage".
The pros ALL have caddies so there is no unfair advantage. They all are on the same playing field.

Originally Posted by shredfit View Post
I can hear it now... SparkyRedick and his cohorts... "You know guys, [Insert ANY Pro Golfers Name Here], is pretty good... but, if they(the Pros) had to schlep their own bag like us... I'm sure we could take them at our local Muni... After all, we do know this course"... "Yup I know we could...Next round is on me guys". *rolling my eyes*
I would never dare compare myself to any professional. I am a 14 handicapper and am not delusional about my abilities.
post #47 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by homerjatmoes View Post
This statement again proves you assume a lot and talk out your rear or are in fact 13 years old.
23 years old, slightly immature (see my golf ball obsentity post) and do not know much of cars. Simply trying to compare this to another field.
Originally Posted by homerjatmoes View Post
I own a Hyundai that was bought new and purchased over Toyota, Ford, Chevy..

Why? because I did a lot of research and the Hyundai was a better vehicle hands down. I work at a financial institution where we do a lot of car loans and help people find new cars and what is recommended most? Hyundai or Toyota.
You are misunderstanding my analogy. Hyundai's may be fine cars compared to their competition (Toyota, Ford, Chevy..) But you would get no respect in a "car tuner" circle or a luxury car circle(circles I do not belong to btw).
Somehow I knew I would offend a Hyundai owner.
post #48 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by blkdiamond View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but who are you that someone would care if you respect them or not?
In no way do I think that someone should care if I respect them. If you care about that you will live a terrible life. But if you have clone clubs do not EXPECT me to respect your golf knowledge, because I wont.

Originally Posted by blkdiamond View Post
I think the real issue is golf elitists who feel that what someone has in their golf bag defines them as a golfer, that is very sad.
blkdiamond, You may have hit the heart of the matter here. Perhaps I, and golfers like myself, am being materialistic. However as I have said before, with todays used club market it is easier than ever to get a respected brand of clubs. They make top flite clubs too, and thats a name brand that is not trying to rip off any other companies design.

IMO The clubs you use to an extent define the type of player you are or have the ability to become. And it is not amount money, I have a lot of respect for people that play blades from the 70's. Just dont play clones.
post #49 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Why do you care what other people play. I guess you'd not like me as a golfer because my only "real" clubs are a 10 year old TM burner 420 and a Ping Gi5 putter. My 3 wood Sumo close hits just fine. Now im gonna get a set of R7 clones for about $100. Oh yeah I have iron covers, a chipper and face foward wedges (F2 clone). Big deal, I like these clubs and its funny because you probablly think I suck, but in 4 months I already have a better handicap than you.

But its all ok I hate all people who dont drive a 125,000 dollar car.





(Actually jk, I drive a 20 year old $345 ford tarus--hey another thing for you to hate me for)
post #50 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
I play golf with someone because they are good company, and I enjoy spending my time with them, not because they are rich or poor, a good golfer or a terrible golfer,

Golf at heart is a social sport where you spend time with the people you get on with,
JaY_B You hit the nail on the head with this post and I couldnt agree more. At the end of the day golf the most amazing sport in the world. The clubs matter much less in the real world and much more on this forum because it is only fun to talk about topics we disagree on.

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
Why does it matter so much if a golfer uses clone clubs or real clubs?
Because as mybloodinvt said clones are deceiving, fraudulent, and copyright infringement.
post #51 of 183

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by SparkyRedick View Post
There is an undeniable advantage to not having that weight on your shoulders and back for 18 holes. However small you think this advantage is, or large I think it is, it does exist. Simple physics and chemistry of energy output and muscle usage.
Suppose I show up to our match with a 3-iron, 7-iron, gap wedge, and putter. For the sake of argument, let's say it's in a bag that I carry. You now have ten clubs more than I do.
Is this an advantage to you? Yes.
Is it an unfair advantage? No. I was allowed fourteen clubs, but chose to take only four.

It's the same with a pull cart. You're entitled to use a pull cart, too. I'm not breaking any of the rules by using one.
Is it an advantage to use a pull cart? Yes! That's why I do it. Is it unfair? No.



Originally Posted by SparkyRedick View Post
The pros ALL have caddies so there is no unfair advantage. They all are on the same playing field.
If the professionals were given a choice of caddy or no caddy, and some of them chose to go it alone, would caddies become an unfair advantage?
post #52 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by Hoovedawg View Post
Why do you care what other people play. I guess you'd not like me as a golfer because my only "real" clubs are a 10 year old TM burner 420 and a Ping Gi5 putter. My 3 wood Sumo close hits just fine. Now im gonna get a set of R7 clones for about $100. Oh yeah I have iron covers, a chipper and face foward wedges (F2 clone). Big deal, I like these clubs and its funny because you probablly think I suck, but in 4 months I already have a better handicap than you.

But its all ok I hate all people who dont drive a 125,000 dollar car.

(Actually jk, I drive a 20 year old $345 ford tarus--hey another thing for you to hate me for)
Wow Hoovedawg, alot going on in this post.

First off, I do not care what car anyone drives, the car analogy is clearly not working. I drive a beat up chevy monte carlo and have never owned a new car.

I hope you do end up with a low handicap, enjoy golf to its fullest. Golf is not about being better than me, its about improving your own game and enjoying the best sport in the world.

If I saw your bag as you described it, I would immediately think you had a very high handicap, and were no fun to play with. You could prove me wrong if we played.

Take this analogy from a dave chappelle standup:

"You know sometimes you are out at the club with your boys and you see a woman and she looks good. She looks good but not in the classical sense. She's got half her ass hanging out skirt, titties all mashed together, popping out the top of her turtleneck and shit. So you go to talk to her but you've been hanging with your buddies and have got a couple drinks in you so it doesn't come out right. You're like "DAMN!!! Look at them titties". She interupts you and says, "Just because I am dressed this way does not make me a w.h.o.r.e.". That's true fellas. Just because she is dressed that way doesn't make her a w.h.o.r.e. But you must understand ladies, that is F***ing confusing. That would be like me, Dave Chappelle the comedian, going out in public in a cop uniform. People come up to him and they're like "Help me officer, we need you over here". Then I go "Wait a minute buddy, just because I am dressed this way does not make me a police officer". You see ladies, you may not be a w.h.o.re., but you sure are wearing a w.h.o.r.e's uniform."

Just because you have clones an does not make you a bad golfer, but you are wearing the uniform.

ps. apparently w.hore is a word you cannot post on this forum. sorry if it offends you
post #53 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
Suppose I show up to our match with a 3-iron, 7-iron, gap wedge, and putter. For the sake of argument, let's say it's in a bag that I carry. You now have ten clubs more than I do.
Is this an advantage to you? Yes.
Is it an unfair advantage? No. I was allowed fourteen clubs, but chose to take only four.

It's the same with a pull cart. You're entitled to use a pull cart, too. I'm not breaking any of the rules by using one.
Is it an advantage to use a pull cart? Yes! That's why I do it. Is it unfair? No.

If the professionals were given a choice of caddy or no caddy, and some of them chose to go it alone, would caddies become an unfair advantage?
I like your point here. I have used the word unfair inappropriately. Great analogy.

If pro's had the choice to carry their bag, none of them would. It would be irrational. But I do agree with your point on my incorrect usage of the word "unfair"
post #54 of 183
Thread Starter 

Re: Your opinion of Clone Clubs

My problem with Pull carts is that they are illegal in real competition, but yet available at most courses.

When I am wagering on a round I consider that a real competition, yet my opponent can have a pull cart and there is nothing I can do to stop him.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com
or Connect
Socket error 110: Connection timed out

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Your opinion of Clone Clubs