or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Most comfortable golf shoes??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most comfortable golf shoes?? - Page 4

post #55 of 84

I wear Asics Gel Kayano 20's as my long distance runners (over 7 miles) and Asics GT 2000's and Saucony Hurricane 16's for shorter runs and races.

Golf Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #56 of 84

I prefer zero drop with as little padding as possible. I don't run outside on concrete much. I have weak ligaments in my ankles and have sprained them many times on regular shoes due to the excessive padding. If my weight got outside my ankles the wrong way, and a slight tilt to the edge of the shoe, my ankle would roll over. I've never rolled an ankle walking around barefoot. So I like the idea of being as close to the ground as possible. 

post #57 of 84

The most refreshing thing about golf shoes using modern designs is getting away from the cast like feel of the old shoes. The materials they used in those old shoes was unbelievably hard. Tough to move the foot in any normal way. Just about anything is an improvement over that.

post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

The most refreshing thing about golf shoes using modern designs is getting away from the cast like feel of the old shoes. The materials they used in those old shoes was unbelievably hard. Tough to move the foot in any normal way. Just about anything is an improvement over that.

I like the True Linkswear and other minimalist shoes for reading greens, you can get a much better idea of the angles wearing them compared to the ICON's or AdiPure's

post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I like the True Linkswear and other minimalist shoes for reading greens, you can get a much better idea of the angles wearing them compared to the ICON's or AdiPure's


Yep, I like the Sensei for that reason. Some of their other sole designs are kind of weird. Haven't gotten used to the Phoenix due to the sole on it. The only other golf shoes I own are the Nike Lunar Swingtip which is basically a 40's-50's sneaker design a-la Vans. Really like those too but tough to find in wide. Though I had right foot slipping problems on wet grass with the Nike last year. I'm getting ready to buy the Minimus golf shoe, didn't even know NB made it until last week.

 

post #60 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

Have any of the True golf shoes users had any achilles or muscular issues due to the zero drop heel vs a traditional heel. I tried some minimalist running shoes, and I did have some problems.

 

Some people have some issues at first because their muscles and Achilles are not used to not having a heel to prop them up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

I don't think zero drop shoes are bad for golf, don't think they're bad for anything. Zero drop is more or less a marketing term used to describe running shoes.

 

I disagree. It means what it says. It's the opposite of "a marketing term."

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Running shoes are different than golf shoes.  While zero drop running shoes are the rage, they aren't ideal for everyone.  If you are a large runner, or have more than a slight supination or pronation in your ankles when you run, you would likely benefit from shoes that provide the proper support.

 

And some people supinate or pronate because they have weak ankles, so after using minimalist shoes or walking barefoot for some time, they can actually reduce their supination or pronation quite a bit.

 

And some research will tell you heavier people should wear lesser heel drop shoes because heel drop leads to increases in forces transmitted up your legs, which potentially increases the chances for injury.

 

The science is still too new, and you can find studies that say anything, but I'm leaning in that direction more than any other.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

The drop is just the difference between the heel and forefoot. 

 

Make up your mind. :-)

post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

 

Make up your mind. :-)

About what?

post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Some people have some issues at first because their muscles and Achilles are not used to not having a heel to prop them up.

 

 

And some people supinate or pronate because they have weak ankles, so after using minimalist shoes or walking barefoot for some time, they can actually reduce their supination or pronation quite a bit.

 

And some research will tell you heavier people should wear lesser heel drop shoes because heel drop leads to increases in forces transmitted up your legs, which potentially increases the chances for injury.

 

The science is still too new, and you can find studies that say anything, but I'm leaning in that direction more than any other.

I am sure there are a number of reasons why people supinate or pronate, it's also related to their arches.  I don't have weak ankles, very rarely have ever sprained my ankles and have always done heavy lifting during my leg workouts.  It could be the use of heel drop shoes all my life has shortened my muscles and Achilles and that is the cause of pain.

 

The premise that distance runners in Africa are barefoot runners so everyone should wear minimalist and / or zero drop shoes doesn't carry much credibility with me until long term research is done.  Most long distance runners overall aren't more than 150lbs, so what works for them and a guy like me that weighs 230 might not be the same.

 

I think you should wear what works, right now for running I'll stick with running shoes that provide the support I need.  For golf, I have no pain when I wear True Linkswear shoes so I'll continue to wear them in dry conditions.

post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I am sure there are a number of reasons why people supinate or pronate, it's also related to their arches.

I didn't say otherwise. a1_smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

The premise that distance runners in Africa are barefoot runners so everyone should wear minimalist and / or zero drop shoes doesn't carry much credibility with me until long term research is done.

I never said anything about that here. Let's stick to testimony entered here and avoid quoting and then making new stuff as it comes off as putting words in my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I think you should wear what works

I agree. But I also think that many people don't know what works until and unless they give other options a fair shot.
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I am sure there are a number of reasons why people supinate or pronate, it's also related to their arches.  I don't have weak ankles, very rarely have ever sprained my ankles and have always done heavy lifting during my leg workouts.  It could be the use of heel drop shoes all my life has shortened my muscles and Achilles and that is the cause of pain.

 

The premise that distance runners in Africa are barefoot runners so everyone should wear minimalist and / or zero drop shoes doesn't carry much credibility with me until long term research is done.  Most long distance runners overall aren't more than 150lbs, so what works for them and a guy like me that weighs 230 might not be the same.

 

I think you should wear what works, right now for running I'll stick with running shoes that provide the support I need.  For golf, I have no pain when I wear True Linkswear shoes so I'll continue to wear them in dry conditions.


This is why it's tough to use running shoe ideas for anything but running. Zero drop and minimalist have been recent buzzwords but anyone that's shopped for these shoes know they aren't limited to running shoes. You can buy everything from zd/minimalist high top basketball shoes to casual shoes. The design varies greatly depending on intended use and a bunch of other factors.

post #65 of 84
I will agree running and walking are two very different motions.
post #66 of 84
I just ordered some True Linkswear Phoenix from TGW for $52.98. I tried some on, and they were very comfortable, but not too attractive. If these work, I'll probably get some of the current shoes. I couldn't believe how good they felt at the store. I've worn Footjoy for most of my 40 years of playing, but if these Trues have the performance to match the comfort, bye bye Footjoy.
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

I just ordered some True Linkswear Phoenix from TGW for $52.98. I tried some on, and they were very comfortable, but not too attractive. If these work, I'll probably get some of the current shoes. I couldn't believe how good they felt at the store. I've worn Footjoy for most of my 40 years of playing, but if these Trues have the performance to match the comfort, bye bye Footjoy.

Did the same thing this morning. Figured at that price, they were worth trying. Curious if they live up to the hype.
post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstone21 View Post

FootJoy DNA's 

Finally picked up a pair and wore theme around the house because there is still 12 inches of snow here.  They feel great and I cant wait to get them out on the course.


Those are some of the first golf shoes that I think are beautiful. I just can't get that 200+ price tag 😔
post #69 of 84
pretty comfturble and get a lot of comments on them
post #70 of 84

I was looking real hard at the DNA's, yesterday at the golf shop, I checked those out, and the Contours, Thisnk I'm going with the Contours at this point.. 

post #71 of 84
I just recieved my True Linkswear PHX today, and they are going right back. They might be comfy, but they are as ugly as a mud fence. I hate they look like they do, because they feel good. I am not a slave to fashion, but I have kind of narrow feet, and these look like clown shoes.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post

I just recieved my True Linkswear PHX today, and they are going right back. They might be comfy, but they are as ugly as a mud fence. I hate they look like they do, because they feel good. I am not a slave to fashion, but I have kind of narrow feet, and these look like clown shoes.

 

i completely agree.  plus, someone with narrow feet like yourself can get something that fits better.  i recommend the TW 13s.  the 14s fit similarly but i prefer the looks of the 13.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting

Golf Gear mentioned in this thread:

TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Most comfortable golf shoes??