or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Biggest jerk on the tour?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biggest jerk on the tour? - Page 15

post #253 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post

I watched Ray Floyd tee off on what I thought was a par 5. I did not look at the tee marker but the hole sure looked long. After he hit his tee shot I walked right with him and said You should be able to get home in two with that blast. He looked at me like he wanted to punch me in the nose. I was with a friend and asked my friend what the heck is Floyd's problem. All I did was say he should be able to get home in two being he had bombed one. My friend said you dang dummy, this hole is a par four. LOL I said lets gets out of here and we left that jerk. The tournament was at Greystone in Birmingham about 6 or 8 years ago. I never liked him since even though my comment may had sounded like a wise crack but I did not mean it to be. I guess I should have looked to see what hole it was before he hit it. I could not stand it after that and made a point to catch up with him again that day. He was on a par three and I say I am quite sure you can get there today.lol. I had to get my last word in. I stood about 12 foot from Hale Irvin that same day and commented on his good shot.. He never looked back and just kept walking. He is also a jerk. Most of these pro's think they are better than the rest of us , that's for sure. I would have hated to be paired with Lee Trevino. He never shuts up . I am glad he give the game up. Not to take anything away for his golfing skill but I think he is also a jerk
Soooooo, you make an idiotic comment then follow that up by going back to him and make another idiotic comment and that makes Floyd the jerk? Ok, I guess.
post #254 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post

I watched Ray Floyd tee off on what I thought was a par 5. I did not look at the tee marker but the hole sure looked long. After he hit his tee shot I walked right with him and said You should be able to get home in two with that blast. He looked at me like he wanted to punch me in the nose. I was with a friend and asked my friend what the heck is Floyd's problem. All I did was say he should be able to get home in two being he had bombed one. My friend said you dang dummy, this hole is a par four. LOL I said lets gets out of here and we left that jerk.

So you made a really stupid remark to a pro who is playing a serious tourney and now he is the jerk?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post

 I stood about 12 foot from Hale Irvin that same day and commented on his good shot.. He never looked back and just kept walking. He is also a jerk. 

So you think a pro needs to react to what the public is saying? Maybe this pro was playing a serious round to make some money and tried to focus on the game instead of interacting with the public. Might it be possible he did'nt even hear what you said?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post

Most of these pro's think they are better than the rest of us , that's for sure.

You need to find help, if you are serious about this. If not, you can leave putter out of your nick.z4_blink.gif

post #255 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Id have to say that Ian Poulter is the biggest jerk on tour but theres lots of guys who are a close 2nd.

He might be a jerk, I don't follow him enough.  Wasn't a big fan of his "look at me" golf outfits but he's a great Ryder Cup golfer. 

post #256 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruari View Post

'Kay. I stand corrected.


In my experience, tho, people at the top of their trees are incredibly focussed. Doesn't matter if it's golf, rock'n'roll, motor racing, whatever - don't try to get close when they're on their game.


That doesn't make them jerks - it makes them focussed.
I agree ..not everyone can be a Trevino or a Rodriguez.
I spoke with Ian Baker Finch after the first time played Rivera, asked him what he thought of the course. He said he liked it but the greens were tricky and he would do better tomorrow.

A few years later he was on his18 hole Friday the 9 th hole at Rivera. He was very mad cause he was going to miss the cut. Grabbed the flag and was going to put out with it then handed over to his caddie and finished. Some heckler says better luck next year...they don't need those kind of comments.
Ian is a good guy imo

Fuzz will talk to you while he is playing...He was getting ready to start Rivera on 1 just before he hits it he says SHOW TIME
post #257 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDutch View Post

So you made a really stupid remark to a pro who is playing a serious tourney and now he is the jerk?

 

So you think a pro needs to react to what the public is saying? Maybe this pro was playing a serious round to make some money and tried to focus on the game instead of interacting with the public. Might it be possible he didn't even hear what you said?

 

Quote:

You need to find help, if you are serious about this. If not, you can leave putter out of your nick.z4_blink.gif

So you made a really stupid remark to a pro who is playing a serious tourney and now he is the jerk?  Me probably. I had way to many beers that day. The senior tour is for golfers who can no longer compete with the big boys so I say they need to relax and enjoy life more. Most have already made plenty of money while playing the regular tour.

post #258 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangeclub View Post

Two incidents relayed to me by friends would indicate that Curtis Strange (no surprise) and Lee Trevino (surprise) are indeed major jerks.  I can't remember for sure the particular tournaments my golfing buddies were at to witness these things first hand, but I think it was Trevino at the BC Open back in the 70s and the Strange one at a US Open somewhere here in New York, possibly Rochester.  I know these guys very well and they don't just make stuff up.  The Trevino incident was witnessed by two of them attending a tournament together, so it's "corroborated". 

Trevino was enraged by a 14 or 15 year old girl handling the scoreboard, who had put the wrong score up for him.  He walked up to the scoreboard and started yelling at her to change it and she dropped the number card, delaying the action.  He got more furious (like it really mattered, ya know?) and started screaming at everybody on the scoreboard, telling them to "Get her out of there!"  The girl started crying and climbed down, heading for the clubhouse.  Trevino stalked after her, screaming obscenities and, to put the icing on the cake, finally yelling, "You dumb little c**t!"  She left the area in tears while Trevino continued on to the next tee.  Despicable.

Strange, having just had a bad hole was walking along the ropes to the next tee.  A kid had a US Open hat he wanted autographed and was holding it through the ropes.  As he walked by, Curtis grabbed the hat and THREW IT INTO A MUD PUDDLE ON PURPOSE!  Major Ahole.

I saw Chi Chi in action at a Senior event in Syracuse about 20 or so years ago.  He was going into peroxisomes about an official's golf cart that was bothering him.  Maniacal, doing everything but hitting the official with his driver, screaming at the top of his lungs.  Jim Ferree was just shaking his head and laughing about it with the gallery?  "Whatcha gonna do?  He gets like that."  Total insanity, profanity flying everywhere.  I felt like I was watching baseball or something, with the manager screaming at the ump after a disputed call at first base right before being ejected from the game.  Don't often see THAT sort of action from a pro, let me tell you!  Never viewed Chi Chi the same again after that.  I mean -- there was NOTHING TO IT!  He had to wait maybe 15 seconds while the official trundled up the side of the fairway in a cart, delaying Chi Chi's tee shot.  Really earthshattering.  sheesh.  Maybe he forgot his meds that day, but I'm not cutting him ANY slack after what I saw. 


So the movie Tin Cup is close eh? Wow that Trevino and Curtis incident ....very STRANGE INDEED
post #259 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by easygrip View Post

Who have you heard is/ was the biggest jerk on the tour? What have you heard about them that made you think so?


Easily TW.

 

Just watch coverage of any tournament he's entered in. Treats press, opponents, fans with very little respect.

post #260 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post

I watched Ray Floyd tee off on what I thought was a par 5. I did not look at the tee marker but the hole sure looked long. After he hit his tee shot I walked right with him and said You should be able to get home in two with that blast. He looked at me like he wanted to punch me in the nose. I was with a friend and asked my friend what the heck is Floyd's problem. All I did was say he should be able to get home in two being he had bombed one. My friend said you dang dummy, this hole is a par four. LOL I said lets gets out of here and we left that jerk. The tournament was at Greystone in Birmingham about 6 or 8 years ago. I never liked him since even though my comment may had sounded like a wise crack but I did not mean it to be. I guess I should have looked to see what hole it was before he hit it. I could not stand it after that and made a point to catch up with him again that day. He was on a par three and I say I am quite sure you can get there today.lol. I had to get my last word in. I stood about 12 foot from Hale Irvin that same day and commented on his good shot.. He never looked back and just kept walking. He is also a jerk. Most of these pro's think they are better than the rest of us , that's for sure. I would have hated to be paired with Lee Trevino. He never shuts up . I am glad he give the game up. Not to take anything away for his golfing skill but I think he is also a jerk.

 

 

I think I've identified the common denominator...

post #261 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappyGilmore View Post

I think I've identified the common denominator...

Good , that makes you a math expert. The original topic was about the biggest jerk on tour that was started in 2008. Let just leave it be and enjoy the day. I made my point and post and we all have our opinions. This is just a message board. I happen to view things different than others sometimes but no harm intended. Over and out on this subject. This is all you will hear from me on this topic.

post #262 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkputter View Post

Good , that makes you a math expert. The original topic was about the biggest jerk on tour that was started in 2008. Let just leave it be and enjoy the day. I made my point and post and we all have our opinions. This is just a message board. I happen to view things different than others sometimes but no harm intended. Over and out on this subject. This is all you will hear from me on this topic.
Thats a shame, I was really looking forward to hearing more about Floyd being the jerk because you ran your mouth at him.
post #263 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

Easily TW.

 

Just watch coverage of any tournament he's entered in. Treats press, opponents, fans with very little respect.

 

And yet, PGA Tour pros by and large think Tiger's a pretty good guy. He attends press conferences, even after he's lost an event (unlike many players), answers questions, and is respectful to opponents.

 

He doesn't treat fans with "very little respect" at all - he ignores them, by and large, but what do you want him to do? Hug them all? Ignoring them and focusing on the task at hand is not the same thing as "treating them with very little respect."
 

He's also won 78 PGA Tour events and 14 majors. Maybe if he was a "nice guy" like Phil Mickelson - who skips press conferences with regularity when he's played poorly, etc. - he'd have half as many wins and a third as many majors or so in five extra years on the PGA Tour… like Phil Mickelson (who fellow PGA Tour players generally dislike, btw).

post #264 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

And yet, PGA Tour pros by and large think Tiger's a pretty good guy. He attends press conferences, even after he's lost an event (unlike many players), answers questions, and is respectful to opponents.

He doesn't treat fans with "very little respect" at all - he ignores them, by and large, but what do you want him to do? Hug them all? Ignoring them and focusing on the task at hand is not the same thing as "treating them with very little respect."

 
He's also won 78 PGA Tour events and 14 majors. Maybe if he was a "nice guy" like Phil Mickelson - who skips press conferences with regularity when he's played poorly, etc. - he'd have half as many wins and a third as many majors or so in five extra years on the PGA Tour… like Phil Mickelson (who fellow PGA Tour players generally dislike, btw).

Yup:

Keegan Bradley ‏@Keegan_Bradley 12 May
Classy move by TW to mark his ball and let Casey W finish. One of the most respectful guys on tour to play with

https://twitter.com/Keegan_Bradley/status/333716482926198784
post #265 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

And yet, PGA Tour pros by and large think Tiger's a pretty good guy. He attends press conferences, even after he's lost an event (unlike many players), answers questions, and is respectful to opponents.

He doesn't treat fans with "very little respect" at all - he ignores them, by and large, but what do you want him to do? Hug them all? Ignoring them and focusing on the task at hand is not the same thing as "treating them with very little respect"

Exactly! Tiger is a winner and allways playing with tons of spectators. He needs to focus and has found a way to do that and win. The way Phil is interacting with the public is a bit overdone to me, even looks a bit fake.
post #266 of 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDutch View Post


Exactly! Tiger is a winner and allways playing with tons of spectators. He needs to focus and has found a way to do that and win. The way Phil is interacting with the public is a bit overdone to me, even looks a bit fake.

I believe Phil is sincere, he's a guy that seems to get energized from the crowd interaction.  He's not the focused competitor Tiger is, which also partially explains why he hasn't won as often. 

post #267 of 341

I've got to go with Tiger Woods. I mean, the guy is good - really really good- and he know's it. He treats every other player with little respect. Outside of Tiger, while I like the way that Bubba Watson plays, he comes across as a real jerk in front of the camera and to the fans. This last week at the Players disgusted me. 

post #268 of 341

Tiger is quickly replacing Poulter as the biggest jerk on tour.

post #269 of 341

I think some of you are confusing his ultra competitiveness with arrogance...a common mistake only hightened by ones dislike of Tiger (or any golfer).

 

The guy is competitive...thats how someone who is the best in the world at what ever they do gets to being the best in the world...through hard work and being ultra competitive. You dont become number 1 at anything by being a nice bloke, someone you would introduce to your mum and have around for tea.

 

Regards

 

Mailman

post #270 of 341

I don't care how big a jerk anyone is.  All I care about is can the guy golf his ball.  It's not like any one of these guys is going to show up to my house, make a bunch of long distance phone calls, hit on my wife, drop cigar ashes on the carpet, play loud music late at night, or not use a coaster under his beer!  All jerk moves.

 

Most of the time, no matter what they do, these guys can't win.  Sign a hundred autographs, and fan number 101 thinks you're an a-hole. 

 

We don't really know any of these guys.  Tiger takes a lot of heat for getting with porn stars and average looking waitresses while still married. Seriously!?!?  Tom Brady knocked up a marginal actress and married another gal while waiting for his illegitimate offspring to be born.  Who cares!  Can the guy hit Wes Welker for a first down at the end of the Super Bowl? (NO!).

 

Hal Sutton used to be called Halimony because he was married and divorced so many times.  Not interesting to me!  I'm not watching the guy hit a shot and thinking, "if he'd only been faithful to his wife or signed a few more autographs or visited that cancer ward, he could have hit that high fade into that back right pin!"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Biggest jerk on the tour?