or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Relative Importance of the Long Game, Short Game, etc. (Mark Broadie, Strokes Gained, etc.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Relative Importance of the Long Game, Short Game, etc. (Mark Broadie, Strokes Gained, etc.) - Page 2

post #19 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Nearly half your score is putting.
post #20 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

I disagree. I agree that there should be a certain level of ball striking, but nothing is more important than 100 yds and in for scoring. The pros can get up and down from anywhere. Amateurs such as myself certainly cannot.......
post #21 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Originally Posted by steve8820 View Post
The pros can get up and down from anywhere. Amateurs such as myself certainly cannot.......
and thats what seperates the pros from the amateurs.
post #22 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

I found when I started breaking 80 it was due to better wedge play and putting. Take advantage of technology and do what it takes to get the ball in or near the fairway. But, practice your short game and putting because that's what it will take to help you improve from a mid handicapper to a low handicapper.
post #23 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

the most important aspect is CONFIDENCE. How you find that is key.
If driving well gives you that great, if chipping/short game gives you that great.

I find it in making the short putts because that takes all the pressure off of the hole at the start, even if you're putting for bogey, if you knock in that 5' you keep your confidence. As you stand on the tee you know you can finish the hole well.

But, hit a great drive, good approach shot, try to make birdie and slide it by 5' then miss coming back . . . their goes your confidence to be replaced with concern on the next tee box.
post #24 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Very interesting article. I've always been a big Dave Pelz guy, but now that I've been really working on my game for a couple years, I see what others have said... that the difference between and 86 and a 96 for me is my consistency.

Of course, I still focus my practice sessions on short game and putting, because nothing is as irritating as leaving an easy chip 15 feet from the hole and then 3-putting!

But I may have to rethink some of that until I get my GIR percentage up some more.
post #25 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

I think it depends on the type of amateur player. Imagine a weekend golfer who might only hit 200 yard drives or a duffer who can't even hit a driver. In this case, the long is more important than the short game--or so it appears. But, their short game could also be equally terrible.
post #26 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Not even close. The drive is the single most important shot of every hole. It sets up everything else and invariably you relax and gain confidence for the remainder of the hole if the tee shot is pure.

Pelz is selling snake oil, at least applied to the mediocre masses. It's no different than horse racing where speed kills. You can pretend from the back of the pack all you want but I'll chew up your cash if I have foundational advantage with the lead.

As a Las Vegan and sports bettor for 20+ years I'm dumbfounded this is even debated. I don't care where you apply it the beginning dictates the tone. In Average Joe tennis players the serve is by far the most important stroke.
post #27 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Originally Posted by Harold View Post
More often than not when outside 125 yards I am still pitching on the next shot.
I saw this quote and your handicap index of 1 and I thought, WTF?! Upon closer examination ...
post #28 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

(I have not yey read the article)

I think those folks who said that it all depends on the level of the amateur have pretty much got it right.

What's more important is focussing most of the time on the weaker parts of your game. If you are weak or wayward off the tee or with your long irons, but can get up and down very well -- you spend more time on your long game -- and vice versa.

For me, every teaching pro says I have the long game of a 5 handicap. I am generally consistant off the tee -- in dry, summer conditions, I can consistantly drive 260+, and sometimes bomb it further. I can hit my hybrids exceedingly well from the fairway and rough. However, I struggle with pitching and chipping. For example on Monday I was pin-high and just off the green on 3 520+ yard Par 5s. I failed to make par each time.

So I keep practicing chipping, pitching, putting, much more than beating rocks into oblivion. I am 5 shots better today than in January.

I'm sure it's different for those with the magic touch inside 100, but spray it around off the tee.

Work out the weaker parts of your game and spend more time practicing those areas!!! You cannot but improve!!

//Anand
post #29 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

There have been threads on this forum concluding that GIR is more important than putting average, as long as you can two putt.
post #30 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

I believe this can be true depending on your handicap. high handicap golfers this might be more true, but if you are a lower handicap golfer the short game is more important.

Drive for show and pitch, chip and putt for dough.
post #31 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Originally Posted by ks8829 View Post
I believe this can be true depending on your handicap. high handicap golfers this might be more true, but if you are a lower handicap golfer the short game is more important.

Drive for show and pitch, chip and putt for dough.
absolutely 100% agree with this. 125 in you should be knocking it close to the pin. and god forbid you 3 putt!
post #32 of 516
Thread Starter 

Re: Long game more important than short?

Hooray for Google!

http://www.columbia.edu/~mnb2/broadi...arch_golf.html

There is a link to a pdf that appears to be the original text of his research...gonna read it tonight.
post #33 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Agree 100% with this man's theory. We ALL have the ability to hit 100 yard (and in) shots, but not many of us possess the ability to hit a green, (with much consistency anyway!) with an iron from 180, or crush the driver down the middle 290+.

Get me to 100 yards and I can make par or better at least FIFTY percent of the time!

dave
post #34 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Originally Posted by lolzzlolzz View Post
Short game is nothing to me. My long game has taught me the touch I need for the short game because a full swing is nothing but an extension of a short swing!! Honestly, I can count the amount of times I have practiced putting and chipping on my hands.

Some days I have the touch of a rapist when it comes to putting, but I can hit it long and straight. I'd take this type of play any day.

You can learn to break 80 in a matter of months, not years as some people think it... if you put down the putters and start practicing one simple, repeating swing that you can use on all shots.

If you don't believe this you'll never do it. As you think you shall become.
I am with you on the amount of putting/chipping practice I do. The funny thing is, despite never practicing putting outright, putting is probably the strongest part of my game at the moment. That's because putting is easy. Although putting at the pro level requires a lot of practice, you can putt good enough to break 80 with little or no specific putting practice. The putting I do during the rounds (and occasionally on my carpet) is enough for me.
post #35 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

i think he makes some sense. The bulk of my scoring is due to errant tee shots. However, its a lot easier for me to reduce strokes by spending a few hours learning to avoid three putts and chipping from all of those missed greens. My last round I had 2 birdies and a par - and shot a 100! That's one awful set of 15 holes. Dumped 4 balls in water, 2 more OB - All from the tees.

btw - i did what any self respecting hack would do...bought a new driver. Obviously that was the problem...
post #36 of 516

Re: Long game more important than short?

Originally Posted by Dale255 View Post
I found when I started breaking 80 it was due to better wedge play and putting.
When I break 80 it's because I'm doing all things relatively consistently. That means solid wedge and putter play, but it also means solid driving and approach shots. I guess we all need to figure out our weaknesses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Relative Importance of the Long Game, Short Game, etc. (Mark Broadie, Strokes Gained, etc.)