or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant) - Page 66  

post #1171 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Yes he is, because Rory has the  physical ability to spin his hips faster than nearly any other tour player. That is why he can hit the golf ball further even though he's loosing 8 inches on his radius of his golf swing. That is his physical attribute. There is no doubt being taller is an advantage, majority of the top ten long drivers are tall, specifically the top 5.

 

If you want to get into the match

 

v = w*r

 

That means for Rory to have the same velocity of the clubhead as the other long hitters on tour, who are way taller than him, he has to make up the radius difference in rotational speed. This is special to him because no other 5'9" guy hits as far as he does on tour.

right, I suppose that wasn't the best example, sergio's a bit better, he's not very big but creates tremendous lag and hits the ball as far as the long hitters with a shorter driver...I've seen plenty of big guys that don't hit it long and plenty of small that hit it far is my point. I don't think body type or size are the only factor, yes being tall helps tho.

post #1172 of 1290

I play with a guy who's a 36 hcp that can hit it 300 yards (I've gps'd it).    Its just swing speed - alot of young, flexible guys can do it.    Holding fairways is a different story.   hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length.

post #1173 of 1290

post #1174 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length.

Not true.
post #1175 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Not true.
Hahahaha, I like the simple reply. I'll second that. Only because there is a difference between the long ball guy that has horrible everything else, and the guy that is good but could use an extra 20 on his drives to hit more GIRs. For someone that can keep the ball in play, length is definitely a factor! If I found a way to consistently get 25 extra on my 275 yard drive...that would be the difference of hitting a short iron, and a wedge on a lot of par 4s. Which increases the percentage of knocking one close to the hole. So, a lot of Mid/low handicappers could benefit from extra distance. But a 20+, the flaw goes beyond what a few extra yards would help.
post #1176 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Not true

 

Comon man - did you read what I said - I've seen it & gps'd it ... how can you say its not true.      Its just swing speed.    If we're talking about controlling a 300 yd shot, sure that's a different story; but just doing it isn't that hard if you're young and flexible and swing out of your shoes.

post #1177 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

Comon man - did you read what I said - I've seen it & gps'd it ... how can you say its not true.      Its just swing speed.    If we're talking about controlling a 300 yd shot, sure that's a different story; but just doing it isn't that hard if you're young and flexible and swing out of your shoes.

 

 

I'm pretty sure he was commenting on the below Quote and I have to second that.

 

Quote:
 Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length.
post #1178 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post
 

 

 

I'm pretty sure he was commenting on the below Quote and I have to second that.

 

 

 

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... and have PROVEN by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

post #1179 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

 

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... I simply said and have proven by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards ...

 

 

Ok.. I'm only going to respond this one last time with the following.

 

1.  If your friend can hit it 300 yds and he is a 36 HCP then this is the exception and not the rule

2.  The statement that is being contested here is the following "hcp has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with length." so we have moved on from your friends ability to hit it 300 yrds or so and we are answering the statement now.

  a)  The average drive by a PGA professional is about 282 yards

  b)  The (real) average drive by a weekend golfer is probably about 200 yards

  c)  The statement is very general in nature so it is not limited to the driver, the truth is that low HCP can hit all of their clubs pretty much longer than weekend golfers.

  d)  Conclusion - There is a very strong correlation between length and HCP

 

Finally - no one called you a liar we don't really care that your friend can hit it 300 or 350 yards as a matter of fact!

post #1180 of 1290

I think we've both made our points ... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).      I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.      

post #1181 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

I think we've both made our points ... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).      I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.      

 

I'm taking slight offense to the "young" qualifier. At 34 I'm most likely not seen as "young". The only thing I'll agree with is flexibility and to a lesser degree athletic build.

post #1182 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

 

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... and have PROVEN by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).

 

 

...... I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.  

 

 

If he "can't hit the broad side of a barn", then his swing is inconsistent and his mechanics are terrible. That translates into poor contact and a terrible smash factor. Even tour level swing speeds won't even get it past little old me if your smash factor is only 1.25.......  Consistently putting the center of the club face on the ball absolutely correlates to handicap.

 

The fact that once in a blue moon one goes 300 yards does not mean that someone "hits the ball 300 yards".  Hell, I've hit one down hill and down wind, caught a sprinkler head, and a cart path, and had one go 400 yards. That doesn't change the fact that I carry a driver about 240ish......sadly.  ;-)

post #1183 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

I think we've both made our points ... mine is that it isn't really that hard to hit it 300 if you're young, have an athletic build, flexible and really swing hard - we've all seen this type (most are testosterone driven & have high hcp's).      I stand by the fact that HCP is irrevelant within these parameters.      

 

It's not true, and that's not a fact.

post #1184 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
 

 

It's not true, and that's not a fact.

 

:doh:

 

I see we're talking about consistently hitting it 300 & keeping it in play.   Yes, that clearly involves hcp.     My interpretation of this thread was that high hcp's can't hit it 300 - that way of thinking is a complete fallacy, which I have proven by example to be untrue.

post #1185 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

 

I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... and have PROVEN by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

 

I think the problem you are facing is that most here won't accept that the ability to get lucky and hit a 300 yd drive on occasion is not the same thing as being able to reliably or repeatably hit it that far. Also, some here won't accept that as a true distance unless it is in the fairway or at the very least close to it. Also, depending on conditions, a 300 yd drive may be overly easy to achieve and therefore discounted *read downhill downwind on hard fairway or catching cartpath/sprinkler head*. Most people here put more stock in the carry yardage on drives, which is by far much more difficult to prove.

post #1186 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post


I don't understand why 3 guys are basically calling me a liar ... and have PROVEN by using a gps that a very poor golfer (36 hcp) can hit it 300 yds.    He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but can sure as hell get it out there 300 yards !!

I think the objection is your statement about handicap and distance.

If you shoot scratch or better, you pretty much need to drive over 250 (carry).
post #1187 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


Not true

 

Comon man - did you read what I said - I've seen it & gps'd it ... how can you say its not true.      Its just swing speed.    If we're talking about controlling a 300 yd shot, sure that's a different story; but just doing it isn't that hard if you're young and flexible and swing out of your shoes.

 

Yes it is.  I was once young and flexible and when I swung out of my shoes, the max I ever got to was 108 mph (and I had a 10 handicap, not a 20 or higher), and there is no way I could have actually played swinging that hard.  Good technique is a necessity, and for most of us, that doesn't come naturally.  For most high handicappers, the harder they swing, the shorter they hit it, because they screw up their timing and tempo and swing path when they try to swing harder.

post #1188 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

:doh:

 

I see we're talking about consistently hitting it 300 & keeping it in play.   Yes, that clearly involves hcp.     My interpretation of this thread was that high hcp's can't hit it 300 - that way of thinking is a complete fallacy, which I have proven by example to be untrue.

 

I don't doubt that a guy can suck at golf and once a round poke one out there near 300.  I still don't think it's all that easy nor common, but there are people who can fit into that category.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)