or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant) - Page 35  

post #613 of 1290



He's not much of a player himself, so I'm not sure what his seal of golfing approval would be worth. Case in point - he doesn't even use headcovers on his woods. Classic hacker move right there.

 

What was the question?

 

Oh yeah, driving distance. Kieran if you haven't played at Canmore or Banff, you really need to do it. Nothing like 350+ yard drives (367 from one elevated tee) to inflate your ego - still gotta putt though and those babies are like glass . . . bleaarrrrrgh!!!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post





Some people refuse to believe others can hit their ball long.

 

My 5 iron is my 210 yard club. My 4 i is my 220 yard club. My used to be able to drive the ball over 300 once or twice a round confirmed using GPS ( I always use my GPS when I play ). Now it goes around 270-280 but it's cut to 44' and I have issues with low ball flight ( forward shaft lean issue )

 

On 3 different simulators my driver swing speed has averaged around 114.

 

I came second in a tournament in the long drive hole with 309 yards. The guy who won drove it past me and won with 314 yards. He shot 96 in the tournament. Probably a 20 something handicap.

 

I am a mid handicap, athletic, played cricket for 8 years and used to bowl a cricket ball 120km/h ( fast in high school ), ran 100m in under 12 seconds and went to my regional finals for long jump. I only weight 150 pounds and am only 5' 11', but size isn't everything

 

It is possible, but people seem to need a hand written letter from Obama stating 'I saw it and can attest" or something.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

post #614 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post



He's not much of a player himself, so I'm not sure what his seal of golfing approval would be worth. Case in point - he doesn't even use headcovers on his woods. Classic hacker move right there.

 

What was the question?

 

Oh yeah, driving distance. Kieran if you haven't played at Canmore or Banff, you really need to do it. Nothing like 350+ yard drives (367 from one elevated tee) to inflate your ego - still gotta putt though and those babies are like glass . . . bleaarrrrrgh!!!

 

 


LOL

 

I would love to play Banff, except paying for it would cause a hernia.

 

I have played Kokanee Springs, couple of nice elevated tees ( ie. the first hole ) where you can get one out there. I played it smart though. I hit 3 wood into the trees on the right.

 

Gave me an easy 4 iron low punch to the left green side bunker, where I subsequently failed to get up and down and carded a double.

 

post #615 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post




LOL

 

I would love to play Banff, except paying for it would cause a hernia.

 

I have played Kokanee Springs, couple of nice elevated tees ( ie. the first hole ) where you can get one out there. I played it smart though. I hit 3 wood into the trees on the right.

 

Gave me an easy 4 iron low punch to the left green side bunker, where I subsequently failed to get up and down and carded a double.

 


That's probably exactly how the locals play it - excellent course management!!

 

post #616 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantc79 View Post

 

Honestly, I disagree.

If you have a swing that is so erratic that you hit a 50 yard duff then there is no freakin' way that you have the swing speed, swing mechanics, much less the lag pressure required to hit a 300 yard drive with no wind and flat ground.

There is simply no way, I'm sorry but until I meet a 20 handicapper that can hit the ball that far I will assume they are all full of shit.

 

 



I'm 6'5 295 and very muscular, 12 handicapper, and I can't hit the ball near 300 and I hit quite a bit further than most people that I know.

/end of thread...will you guys quit arguing  

 

It is impossible to hit the ball 300 yards without properly lagging the club head through impact.  If you are properly lagging the golf club through impact, you should be under AT HIGHEST a 10 handicap.  If you're not you're lying, or just don't know.  end of story
 

 

post #617 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanktwo2 View Post



/end of thread...will you guys quit arguing  

 

It is impossible to hit the ball 300 yards without properly lagging the club head through impact.  If you are properly lagging the golf club through impact, you should be under AT HIGHEST a 10 handicap.  If you're not you're lying, or just don't know.  end of story
 

 


 

Not the end.  You can hit a 50 yard duff from a shift that's slightly too aggressive and a ball that's slightly too far back.  The shift is what a lot of bombers use like Dominic Mazza.  It has nothing to do with lag and everything to do with ball position.  It is also possible to consistently put the ball in the wrong spot and consistently make good swings leading to erratic contact and eventually, a higher handicap.  Hell, today at the range I struck it like a 20 handicapper, but I averaged 308 carry on the LM two days ago.

 

post #618 of 1290

It's as if some people have never watched a high handicapper continually lift their head before impact resulting in 50 yard duffs. I see it all the time. I also see much more muscular guys than me at the range trying to pound the crap out of the ball but only hitting 230ish yard drives. I also used to play with much shorter guys (I'm 6' 2") who could hit the ball as far as me. It's not all about muscles and height.

 

I used to play in a league with a high handicapper. Guy could smash the ball off the tee at times but couldn't score worth a damn. Of course he was playing Pinnacle Distance balls while the rest of the field was playing Pro V's and the like.

post #619 of 1290


I honestly find it hard to believe that you believe that.  If you have popeye sized fore arms you can swing just about anything with absurd speed.  Case in point, Tim Tebow driving the green in the pro am at the Honda Classic this year.  WAY over 300 yards and he is no where near a 10 handicap.... Prob not even a 20.

 

EDIT:  Sorry to correct myself it was a 350 yard par four from the blues.  The ball landed 15 feet behind the flag and settled on the back fringe.  He three putted.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanktwo2 View Post



/end of thread...will you guys quit arguing  

 

It is impossible to hit the ball 300 yards without properly lagging the club head through impact.  If you are properly lagging the golf club through impact, you should be under AT HIGHEST a 10 handicap.  If you're not you're lying, or just don't know.  end of story
 

 



 


Edited by JasonFL - 8/31/11 at 7:49pm
post #620 of 1290

i agree with you 100% Jason.  How someone thinks a 300 yard drive makes you a 10 handicap obviously doesn't have a good grasp on the game.  I'm suprised how long this thread has gone on.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonFL View Post


I honestly find it hard to believe that you believe that.  If you have popeye sized fore arms you can swing just about anything with absurd speed.  Case in point, Tim Tebow driving the green in the pro am at the Honda Classic this year.  WAY over 300 yards and he is no where near a 10 handicap.... Prob not even a 20.

 

EDIT:  Sorry to correct myself it was a 350 yard par four from the blues.  The ball landed 15 feet behind the flag and settled on the back fringe.  He three putted.

 



 



 

post #621 of 1290

i will say this, if all things are equal, distance does have its advantages, and can save you a few strokes per round, just for using a shorter iron. But it in no way is related to handicap at all. I played with people who bomb the ball and have 20+ HDCP, i have played with single digits who hit the ball less than 220 yards. 

 

So i have no clue whats the big deal about this thread. I understand some people over estimate there driving distance, and they pay for it when they think they can carry water, or a creek, or a bunker. But i don't see why anyone would get bent out of shape over it.

post #622 of 1290

I think it's funny so many try to discount that anyone of us that have higher handicaps can hit the driver a long way. Yes I hit driver and 8 iron or less into basically every par 4 as long as I hit the fairway *rofl getting better now*. I hit driver 4 iron or less into most 520 yd and under par 5s also, once again, as long as I hit the fairway. Do I hit the fairway all the time? No, but it's getting more consistent now since I'm playing more. For some reason I do find it harder to hit a green than a fairway, mostly because the target is smaller I suppose, and I put more pressure on myself to hit the ball close. My distance on approach shots is usually on, but I miss a bit right or left. If my distance is off it's usually just short or just over. I really don't care one bit if anyone believes I hit the ball as far as I do, because there's no way for me to prove it short of having you see me hit the ball. But I think it's ridiculous to discount what we say out of hand because of our handicaps. My high handicap comes from a handful bad holes, typically around 5 that are around 3 overs. The rest are bogey/par's with an occasional birdie/double bogey thrown in. So if you think about it, 13 holes at +6 with 5 at +15... Is it really so hard to believe? If so, think about how even the pros can put up holes that are +3 or more.... Seriously, it shouldn't be so hard to believe.

post #623 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I think it's funny so many try to discount that anyone of us that have higher handicaps can hit the driver a long way. Yes I hit driver and 8 iron or less into basically every par 4 as long as I hit the fairway *rofl getting better now*. I hit driver 4 iron or less into most 520 yd and under par 5s also, once again, as long as I hit the fairway. Do I hit the fairway all the time? No, but it's getting more consistent now since I'm playing more. For some reason I do find it harder to hit a green than a fairway, mostly because the target is smaller I suppose, and I put more pressure on myself to hit the ball close. My distance on approach shots is usually on, but I miss a bit right or left. If my distance is off it's usually just short or just over. I really don't care one bit if anyone believes I hit the ball as far as I do, because there's no way for me to prove it short of having you see me hit the ball. But I think it's ridiculous to discount what we say out of hand because of our handicaps. My high handicap comes from a handful bad holes, typically around 5 that are around 3 overs. The rest are bogey/par's with an occasional birdie/double bogey thrown in. So if you think about it, 13 holes at +6 with 5 at +15... Is it really so hard to believe? If so, think about how even the pros can put up holes that are +3 or more.... Seriously, it shouldn't be so hard to believe.

People will argue with you, or just be skeptical, for various reasons.  One, it's really, really rare to see people who "regularly" drive it over 300.  In the last year or two I've had a chance to play with some really good golfers ... a couple of pros, a 1 handicap, and a couple handful of guys in the mid to low single digits.  The amount of those accomplished golfers that "regularly" drive the ball over 300 yards?  If I'm really stretching ... I'd say one.  The amount of people I've played with who occasionally can drive one out to 300 yards?  Several ... including myself.

 

Prior to the last couple of years, I did not golf with a lot of accomplished golfers, and the amount of golfers I've seen over that time that could "regularly" drive it over 300 is zero.  Couple that with the fact that prior to joining this forum, and really reading about it and thinking about it, I thought I was a 300 yard driver.  Then I really started to pay attention, and I realized that I gave myself that impression because I only really remembered or measured the bombs.  In reality, I can "regularly" hit 270 yard drives with an occasional 290 thrown in, and if the stars align, maybe 300. :)

 

I have never met a +20 handicapper who could regularly drive it over 300, nor have I met a ANY regular 300 yard driver who is concerned with hitting them farther rather than other aspects of his game.

 

So, to answer your question ... yes, it really is so hard to believe.

 

But, if I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are driving it 300 ... I'd still suggest that you stop worrying about trying to drive it farther and start worrying about everything else.  Work on keeping it in the fairway, work on hitting greens, work on figuring out what your go-to 100 yard shot is :), work on your putting.  Everything EXCEPT driving it 10 yards further.

post #624 of 1290

So I don't hit the ball very far and I was wondering for all you bombers whats a good way to increase club head speed while staying in control? Ive been working on my short game (mostly pitching  the quickie pitching shot). Also working on full swing mechanics but not increasing distance. Any tips would be great.

post #625 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

People will argue with you, or just be skeptical, for various reasons.  One, it's really, really rare to see people who "regularly" drive it over 300.  In the last year or two I've had a chance to play with some really good golfers ... a couple of pros, a 1 handicap, and a couple handful of guys in the mid to low single digits.  The amount of those accomplished golfers that "regularly" drive the ball over 300 yards?  If I'm really stretching ... I'd say one.  The amount of people I've played with who occasionally can drive one out to 300 yards?  Several ... including myself.

 

Prior to the last couple of years, I did not golf with a lot of accomplished golfers, and the amount of golfers I've seen over that time that could "regularly" drive it over 300 is zero.  Couple that with the fact that prior to joining this forum, and really reading about it and thinking about it, I thought I was a 300 yard driver.  Then I really started to pay attention, and I realized that I gave myself that impression because I only really remembered or measured the bombs.  In reality, I can "regularly" hit 270 yard drives with an occasional 290 thrown in, and if the stars align, maybe 300. :)

 

I have never met a +20 handicapper who could regularly drive it over 300, nor have I met a ANY regular 300 yard driver who is concerned with hitting them farther rather than other aspects of his game.

 

So, to answer your question ... yes, it really is so hard to believe.

 

But, if I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are driving it 300 ... I'd still suggest that you stop worrying about trying to drive it farther and start worrying about everything else.  Work on keeping it in the fairway, work on hitting greens, work on figuring out what your go-to 100 yard shot is :), work on your putting.  Everything EXCEPT driving it 10 yards further.

I completely agree with you about working on other things. But I wouldn't be working on adding distance via hitting more drives at the range or working on my driving technique, just equipment changes. I really am more worried about working on my approaches, but I kinda of feel like a majority of my problem is I put more pressure on myself to hit it close to the pin than just thinking about hitting the green because I'm trying to capitalize on my drive. I'm sure I'm not alone in that though. I feel much more pressure after the drive than when on the tee box because I am pretty confident with the driver. Like-wise I'm pretty confident in my putting because I've really focused on eliminating as many 3 putts as possible. I don't know why/how I hit the ball with the driver like I do. I just know that on par 4s and 5s I rarely am unable to be green high in 2 with driver and 4 iron or lower. My main issue is just direction control. I put this down to timing and that should be something that I get better with as I play more. If I could find a good way/place to practice shots under 100 to about 20 yds I'd definitely see a big improvement in my game.

post #626 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

So I don't hit the ball very far and I was wondering for all you bombers whats a good way to increase club head speed while staying in control? Ive been working on my short game (mostly pitching  the quickie pitching shot). Also working on full swing mechanics but not increasing distance. Any tips would be great.


I stay completely relaxed, tension kills distance. The best way to stay in control of the club head is timing, at least for me. If my timing is off the ball will go straight right or hook left.

post #627 of 1290
Do you have a big shoulder turn? I'm not very flexible.
post #628 of 1290

yes, I go pretty far passed parallel as I'm pretty flexible.
 

post #629 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

Do you have a big shoulder turn? I'm not very flexible.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

yes, I go pretty far passed parallel as I'm pretty flexible.
 

Jeremie, I am not interested in discrediting your distance or anything else anything with your swing.  Just want to let Jake know if you really want to hit longer drives in the fairway, timing and turning past parallel is probably not the best route for you. If you want to lean how a 5' 9" 175lb guy can hit it 260-280 in the fairway 60-70% of the time then you will need some quality instruction.

post #630 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

 

Jeremie, I am not interested in discrediting your distance or anything else anything with your swing.  Just want to let Jake know if you really want to hit longer drives in the fairway, timing and turning past parallel is probably not the best route for you. If you want to lean how a 5' 9" 175lb guy can hit it 260-280 in the fairway 60-70% of the time then you will need some quality instruction.


no, that's fine. proper mechanics is definitely most important. I just was saying what I do, he asked if I had a big shoulder turn but I don't advocate how far I turn, it's hard to get timing down.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)