or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant) - Page 45  

post #793 of 1290
I wish I could hit a hybrid or fairway wood, period. I keep an Adams trouble wood in my bag, but its ugly. I either hit it less than 100 yards, or just shy of 200 (which is maybe 1 out of every 10 shots), and it goes everywhere.
post #794 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by savosean View Post

No, sorry but the man has an issue and he thinks he can rant all day on these forums and just saying what ever comes to his mind. He needs to understand I am not someone he can just push around on the forums like most of you. Who, have clearly just let his behaviour continue after 3,000 post. He can't just spill out the up most BS he can think of to try and make him self feel better at night.

Well, to be fair, he only started to really lay into you when you started pushing back. I can understand you being able to hit a pitching wedge 160 (a player on my high school team recently aced a 190 par 3 with an 8), but your accuracy claims seem slightly far-fetched. I mean, getting it on the green EVERY time is pretty great from that distance much less being more than 2x as close as a touring pro. I'm not trying to be mean, and I hope you understand that, but you should never use an absolute superlative such as never, always, etc. unless you are referring to the fact that you should never use them or are saying you never miss putts that already went in the hole.

I think Shorty is just getting frustrated that you won't acknowledge his points and instead choose to insult him personally. The fact that he hasn't made it that personal beyond questioning your honesty (I've seen him do it to other people looking through old posts) is quite impressive actually after some of your abrasive and inflammatory comments. He is merely trying to point out how your claims stack up against those who do this for a living. If you do hit it to 10' every time though please improve your putting, go on tour, and give me 5% of your first winning check for giving you that tip.

post #795 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttbag View Post


I was hitting about 15-20 yards less with my previous irons. These have easily added 15 yards+ to each iron, but I heard that may be due to the loft on the club. Either way, I'm just thrilled I finally have an iron in my bag that I can touch 200 with. Even though I barely get there.

I'm the same way here in that if I were to buy new irons my distances would improve just because of the lofts. Really all it is though is that they essentially replaced the 7 on the bottom with an 8 when I compared my Eye 2's to the new i20's or s56 irons. However I would assume that they've figured out how to make irons more forgiving to compensate for the reduced loft on the long irons.

post #796 of 1290
On topic I have a friend 22 handicap. You would never think it on driving range he smacks the ball with a larg draw/push hook. Hits his 3 wood 250 easily. Can't hit the drive due to too much hook. His draw does not translate to accuracy he shoots about 98-102 every time but he smacks the shit out of his 3 wood consistly. Even though I am skeptical of all the claims of 300 yards I have to acknowledge I know a 20 who hits the ball long and straight.
post #797 of 1290

Shorty just calls out all the phonies like you "savosean"

We hear all the time, guys like you who hit drivers 350, wedges 180 etc. etc.

Then when the time comes, they can't break 90.

And I might add, they all joined this forum in the last month!

You're a troll.

Stay the course Shorty, and call 'em out when you see um. 

post #798 of 1290

I have to come back to this thread because of the ammount of people that have a lack of information because they decide not to read anything from the thread. They just hop on a band wagon and ride it all day.

 

Lets get some facts here :

 

I hit the ball 275 with no roll, not 320+ and certainly not 350+... I can hit in the 300 range but not consistently

 

I hit the PW 150-160yds , I know my yardages off by heart because I have played this game for 7 years I have practiced for years and figuring out my yardages is important. Should be important for everyone as well, anyone who want's to succeed at this game needs to know there avg hit for every shot.

 

When I say I hit the ball within 10, I am talking about my course were I know my greens off by heart they don't have as much speed as Official PGA tour greens. They don't have 1/4 of the challenges a PGA tour green would have. I can certainly hit my ball close to that pin everytime because I know exactly were to hit it.

 

This community is so 50/50 on everything, its like i am on a gaming forum with a bunch of trolls. There is some very nice and helpfull people but there hidden behind the giant trolls that are comepletly ignorant and don't have a clue what they are talking about half the time.

 

This is the last time I post in this thread, and I hope to god people read a post for once and don;t skip over someting that explains what half the people clearly have not read in the previous ones.

post #799 of 1290
Quote:

Originally Posted by savosean View Post

 

Lets get some facts here :

 

When I say I hit the ball within 10, I am talking about my course were I know my greens off by heart they don't have as much speed as Official PGA tour greens. They don't have 1/4 of the challenges a PGA tour green would have. I can certainly hit my ball close to that pin everytime because I know exactly were to hit it.

In general terms, a "tour quality" shot is within 5%.  In other words, from 160 yards, a tour quality shot is about 8 yards, or 24 feet.  You state that from around 160 yards, you hit it within 3 yards EVERY TIME.  That's less than a 2% error, or more than twice as good as a tour player. 

 

The FACT is, you don't hit it as close as you may think you do. That's what people are calling you on.

post #800 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by savosean View Post

I have to come back to this thread because of the ammount of people that have a lack of information because they decide not to read anything from the thread. They just hop on a band wagon and ride it all day

I think your problem is that they do read the threads.

Historically, I would be accused of "rolling out the welcome mat" and would have been chastised for scaring off a new member who could potentially contribute value to the site, but, unfortunately for you, your claims are what have tripped you up

You do not and can not hit your ball to where you say you do every time no matter how well you know your course and no matter how good a ball striker you are.

The idea of doing so belies logic.

It's like saying "I ALWAYS have 24 putts because I know the breaks on our greens really well."

post #801 of 1290

10 feet. LOL

 

I'm not even always within 10 feet chipping. With my 165 club, I'm happy to be on the fringe with a 40 foot putt. But hey, I'm no tour pro...

post #802 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttbag View Post

Maybe I'm just easily impressed.  I have to hit a 6 or best case scenario, a 7i to get there.  I don't consider myself a long hitter at all, probably average, I average 140 and max out around 145 with my 8i.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

It's a common theme for the very high handicappers, they're all PGA Tour long but can't chip and putt.

I really try not to post in this thread, but why are so many swinging out of their shoes trying to kill the ball?  What exactly are those who do this trying to accomplish?  In my teen years and early 20's I played golf about once a month.  I would try and hit my PW 150 yards, sometimes I would do it.  Great, I was a 15 hc.  Instead, why don't people try and learn a functional swing that will allow proper low point control and center face contact.  Then you will hit your distance and target, although possibly shorter, much of the time.  Oh and I hit my PW 115 yards.  I must be weak. 

 

My 8I is, and always has been since the mid 70's, my 140 yard club.  My PW is 120.  And believe it or not, saying that doesn't give me an inferiority complex.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by savosean View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Alright dude. Shorty has rubbed me the wrong way a few times, but you've taken it way too far. This is disgraceful talk. You have shown your age today.

No, sorry but the man has an issue and he thinks he can rant all day on these forums and just saying what ever comes to his mind. He needs to understand I am not someone he can just push around on the forums like most of you. Who, have clearly just let his behaviour continue after 3,000 post. He can't just spill out the up most BS he can think of to try and make him self feel better at night.

 

We all have an issue with blatant liars.  Most of the BS in the last few pages has come from you.  I don't give a rat's ass if you are playing the windmill hole, nobody..... NOBODY...  hits within 10 feet every time from 160 yards.  Not even on the driving range.  Not even on a course you have played for 50 years.  

 

Shorty tends to be grumpy (often with tongue in cheek), but you sir, are either deluded or you are an outright liar, and you deserved to be called out on such an outrageous claim.  I'll take Grumpy's side in this one.

post #803 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Just read the last 4 pages catching up on this thread.  Thought I'd post this Google Earth image of the hole on my home course where I hit the longest (measured) drive I've ever hit.  This is the par 5 15th hole at Foothills Golf course in SW Denver.  The card has it at 518 yards from the middle tees.  The blue line is my "normal" drive on this hole, 235 yards.  It's typically a 3 shot hole, with the layup toward the end of the fairway short of the irrigation ditch.

 

It was fall, the fairway was firm and fast, had about a 30-40 mph tailwind off the mountains which are about 4 miles west.  The red line from the tee is my longest ever GPS measured drive, 323 yards.  The second shot measured 176 yards, played with an 8 iron, which is usually my 140 club, 145 max.  Everything was in alignment that day. Add them up and you get 499 yards, 19 yards short of the card length.

 

And yes, I made the 10 foot putt for eagle, not the only time I ever eagled that hole, but certainly the easiest.

 

  When played by the "normal" 3 shot blue route, I hit a 235 yard drive, 176 yard layup, 106 to the center of the green for a total of 517, so the card is correct when the hole is played as designed.

 

 

 

This needs more love.  Unless people are gps verifying(still not 100% accurate) then most likely there way of measuring is off, sometimes by considerable amounts.

 

The other problem is people just don't realize how far 300 yards is.  I am the longest hitter in my group and the others would say oh man that is 300 yards and I would just laugh at them.  I started using the gps to track the distance and most were 270-280 and those were bombs that happen very rarely. It opened their eyes to just how far 300 yards truly is

post #804 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh1508 View Post

 

 

This needs more love.  Unless people are gps verifying(still not 100% accurate) then most likely there way of measuring is off, sometimes by considerable amounts.

 

The other problem is people just don't realize how far 300 yards is.  I am the longest hitter in my group and the others would say oh man that is 300 yards and I would just laugh at them.  I started using the gps to track the distance and most were 270-280 and those were bombs that happen very rarely. It opened their eyes to just how far 300 yards truly is

I stopped believing the markers on courses because they made me believe I was hitting 300's more often than I did. Most recently on Sunday I hit a good drive on a 497 yd par 5. My ball was sitting about 180 yds out for my second shot. I looked at the guys I was playing with and said "no way that was 317 yd drive" . On this hole the fairway had a pretty good sized upslope right in front of where my ball stopped. I'm pretty sure they measured the hole by walking on of those yardage wheels around and factored in the yardage including the rise of the fairway. For fun though, I'll measure my drives in league tonight, assuming I hit any worth measuring rofl.

post #805 of 1290
I was an 8 handicap before I could start hitting 300yds+.

Having said that, I have seen a guy who absolutely pounds it off the tee, 320yds+ and is a 12 handicap. He has no accuracy whatsoever. His round would consist of 4 or 5 birdies and 6 or 7 doubles.
post #806 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

My 8I is, and always has been since the mid 70's, my 140 yard club.  My PW is 120.  And believe it or not, saying that doesn't give me an inferiority complex.

 

I would say you're bragging, actually. b2_tongue.gif).

 

140 for 40+ years? Whoa, that's consistent.

post #807 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

 

I would say you're bragging, actually. b2_tongue.gif).

 

140 for 40+ years? Whoa, that's consistent.

 

Well, he keeps getting older and weaker, but buys irons with stronger lofts so his distances stay the same. b2_tongue.gif

post #808 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Not overly. Depends on the person/situation/iron. Not all 8 irons are the same.

 

I can hit my 8 iron 160, but the loft is probably really closer to a 7.

 

For "blades", hitting an 8i consistently 163 can be long, if it's a true 8i loft.  Some 8i lofts these days are stronger than even a 7i.  Of course it's not Phil Mickelson long, but we are disillusioned by watching pros hit their 8i 200 yards under specific conditions.  So 163 doesn't sound all that impressive with blades unless maybe you see it in person like the OP did.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savosean View Post


No you assume I am lying because, you are the kind of persons that has tunnel vision. 

 

He assumes you're lying because you are.  To be clear, I believe that you believe the things you type, but that simply makes you delusional.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post

What's the tour average for distance to the pin on 163 yard approach shots from the tee box or fairway?

 

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.338.html 150-175 yard approaches from fairway

 

 

1 1 Vijay Singh 59 23' 1" 3,070.000 133 -2
2 2 Tiger Woods 45 23' 4" 2,006.750 86 -12
3 3 Bud Cauley logo 65 23' 5" 3,343.083 143 -4
4 4 Phil Mickelson 62 23' 6" 2,604.667 111 -9

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by savosean View Post

I hit the PW 150-160yds , I know my yardages off by heart because I have played this game for 7 years I have practiced for years and figuring out my yardages is important. Should be important for everyone as well, anyone who want's to succeed at this game needs to know there avg hit for every shot.

 

When I say I hit the ball within 10, I am talking about my course were I know my greens off by heart they don't have as much speed as Official PGA tour greens. They don't have 1/4 of the challenges a PGA tour green would have. I can certainly hit my ball close to that pin everytime because I know exactly were to hit it.

 

Let's get one thing straight: nobody here is trolling you.  People are simply calling you out on your claims, which so far have ranged from delusions of grandeur (AND persecution, go figure) to pure bull****.  The best performing tour pro from around 160 yards is putting his average approach more than twice as far away from the pin as you claim.  The best golfer in the world is 2nd, right behind him.  But you somehow think you are twice as close on average because you play on easier greens?  That is even more absurd than your claim that your practice swings with no ball are the same as your regular swings.

 

And have you posted a swing yet?  I'm wondering if you even know what a handicap is and how to properly track it if you're claiming to be a 4.  Is your name even Sean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

Having said that, I have seen a guy who absolutely pounds it off the tee, 320yds+ and is a 12 handicap. He has no accuracy whatsoever. His round would consist of 4 or 5 birdies and 6 or 7 doubles.

 

That sort of falls in line with my not-so-scientific belief that if a guy can bomb it 300 regularly (even if not straight), the handicap threshold would be somewhere around a 12 (given a high enough sample size of scores).

post #809 of 1290

Wow...what has happened these last two days.  I don't spend a lot of time on the forum and come back to 70 new posts in this thread.  That was a lot of reading and catching up to do and since I don't have much to contribute to this thread and since savosean isn't apparently coming back to this thread there is no point in me adding my few cents.  I will say this however,  I play the same course about 3 times a week (nearly every round I play) and we have one par 3 that measures anywhere from 150-160 to the center of the green.  I think I've been within 10 feet only two or three times all season.  I know these greens really well and I know where I need to hit it, but that doesn't mean I can actually accomplish those shots.  No one on this forum can be within 10 feet of a pin every round...unless every = only one round.

post #810 of 1290

wow indeed..I also was gone a couple of days and did not expect to see this thing still alive.   I placed no more value on it than the one from a couple of weeks ago from that poster who was called out, said he would provide video, then conveniently disappeared. My observation at that time was that he succeeded in getting a bunch of people replying while he more than likely sat in a corner laughing his ass off at how he was able to pull their strings and push their buttons.  I gave my input in my two brief responses to this current thread and bottom line still remains: "Who cares?". I also alluded to the association with age and maturity in how that factors into the ability to put forth your accomplishments without sounding like a complete juvenile.  I am however, impressed with the gentleman from Australia's relative use of restraint and composure in the matter.  Now, can we please move on?  (that was a rhetorical question).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)