or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant) - Page 54  

post #955 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

So you can consistently hit the sweet spot with a 45" club swinging with a 130 mph clubhead speed, but you can't even make mediocre contact swinging slower with a shorter club? 

 

You got it.  Drives it 330 on average and can't get a wedge (at most) in the air.  

 

I see it all the time (not).

post #956 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post

I see it daily only to watch them chunk, top or shank the next shot with an iron. People concern themselves with being great off the tee and place less emphasis on the more important parts of your game like iron play, chipping and lag putting.

Most of the people I see at the "driving" range practice just that. I even see maybe 20% of them starting off with the driver then hitting that occasional iron. One guy I see brings only one club to hit- a driver.

This is pretty much by design.

We call the place we hit balls a "driving range". In fact, most courses do not offer a chipping area that is easily accessible.

What's the first shot we make on the 1st tee of every standard sized course? A drive, of course.

Very few, if any, standard course starts off with a par 3.

So, the most important shot for the vast majority of golfers is the drive. The vast majority being a 18 handicap or above, if they carry a handicap.

So, I'm not at all surprised that there are a lot of long hitters in our area who can't score low.
post #957 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdrives View Post
 I have hit multiple 365 355 350 345 340 drives this year if my drive is under 330 yards that means I did not connect on it or i tried to hit it soft on purpose due to the course layout
 

If this is true then that is awesome, but I am only newish to the game so I have just one question, why would you hit a soft driver when you could hit a full powered iron? If you are hitting so far why not hit irons and get the advantage of back spin?

 

How far do you hit other clubs? Do you carry a full set of irons or with your distance do you carry 4-5 wedges and 7,8 and 9 iron?

 

 

 

For the record I am off about 15-18 hcp

I hit a pitching wedge 125 yards, a 7 iron 170 yards and my 4 iron 200yards. My average drive on a fairway goes 265 yards and an awesome drive goes 290 with a massive tail wind.

post #958 of 1290

I wonder if the reason the big hitter doesn't do well with anything but the driver is because he always tries to hit on the upswing. That would explain topping his irons all the time but being able to hit the driver fine.

post #959 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I wonder if the reason the big hitter doesn't do well with anything but the driver is because he always tries to hit on the upswing. That would explain topping his irons all the time but being able to hit the driver fine.

 

It's actually probably 2 reasons for most of these guys:

 

1. He only practices with his driver at the range.

2. He's full of crap on the internet.

post #960 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I wonder if the reason the big hitter doesn't do well with anything but the driver is because he always tries to hit on the upswing. That would explain topping his irons all the time but being able to hit the driver fine.

 

It's actually probably 2 reasons for most of these guys:

 

1. He only practices with his driver at the range.

2. He's full of crap on the internet.

I vote for #2.  He's a troll, and we are all taking the bait.

post #961 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

It's actually probably 2 reasons for most of these guys:

1. He only practices with his driver at the range.
2. He's full of crap on the internet.

True enough.

Btw, according to the internet adjustment formula I drive 302 carry a1_smile.gif
post #962 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


True enough.

Btw, according to the internet adjustment formula I drive 302 carry a1_smile.gif

 

The Internet Adjustment Formula:

 

IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

 

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance

ADD = Actual Driver Distance

EPS = E-Penis Size

 

So for an actual driver distance of 250 yards, your internet adjusted distance would be (Assuming a 13" e-penis): ( [250] * .96 + [13] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15) = 302.9 yards!!!

 

But assuming a 7" e-penis, it would be 259.4 yards...much more realistic. And bringing it down to the actual real life average of 5.7", would be 250 yards exactly.


Edited by Slice of Life - 9/3/13 at 10:22am
post #963 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

The Internet Adjustment Formula:

IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance
ADD = Actual Driver Distance
EPS = E-Penis Size

So for an actual driver distance of 250 yards, your internet adjusted distance would be (Assuming a 13" e-penis): ( [250] * .96 + [13] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15) = 302.9 yards!!!

But assuming a 7" e-penis, it would be 259.4 yards...much more realistic. And bringing it down to the actual real life average of 5.7", would be 250 yards exactly.
Ah, but my real life carry is roughly 220. There's a tweak or two needed in your formula. a1_smile.gif
post #964 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Ah, but my real life carry is roughly 220. There's a tweak or two needed in your formula. a1_smile.gif

 

No tweak necessary...it's not carry, it's total distance. And if your IAD is greater than the formula suggests, it just means your e-penis is bigger than you thought. 

 

Let's throw out carry distance and just say total distance goes from 220 to 302...

 

That would just mean your EP is 16.332"

post #965 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeld View Post

just wondering if the 20 handicappers that AVERAGE 300yards i read about on golf forums are hitting 5,6 and 7 irons into par 5s how are they playing off 20 plus - swinging driver at an average of around 120mph


I know of only 1 20 handicapper (via golf forum) that i actually believe and he is a longdriver, that leaves several hundred that i dont - tell me if you do hit driver 6/7 iron on a regular basis on to 500 yard holes how can you still be a 20 handicapper?


drive 9 iron or less to all flat par 4s - come on how many 20 handicappers can claim this is true?


I have played a lot of golf with a lot of good golfers (plus 2 to 4) and bar myself no one hits the distances claimed by these much poorer golfers.


99% of these claims are not true please just stop it!
Actually that's not true, distance is more natural ability/ size than anything... For instance my uncle is a pretty big guy who can hit it 280-300 easily, he only plays like 3 times a year, when he sets up for a drive he probably has a 20 percent chance of topping it, 40 percent chance of slicing it into the woods, a 10 percent chance of hitting it solid but less than 280 and that leaves a 30 percent chance of hitting a 280-300 yard drive... He can't hit an iron worth a damn(probably because he can't tee it up) and an average green is about 2 chips and 3 putts... So really its all about natural size and athleticism, if you aren't able to hit 300 yard drives naturally then you can get there from smash factor and other things that require practice
post #966 of 1290

FWIW - Nick, I hope you are taking English composition this year. Your posts are very difficult to decipher, which takes away from whatever you are trying to say.

post #967 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post


Actually that's not true, distance is more natural ability/ size than anything... For instance my uncle is a pretty big guy who can hit it 280-300 easily, he only plays like 3 times a year, when he sets up for a drive he probably has a 20 percent chance of topping it, 40 percent chance of slicing it into the woods, a 10 percent chance of hitting it solid but less than 280 and that leaves a 30 percent chance of hitting a 280-300 yard drive... He can't hit an iron worth a damn(probably because he can't tee it up) and an average green is about 2 chips and 3 putts... So really its all about natural size and athleticism, if you aren't able to hit 300 yard drives naturally then you can get there from smash factor and other things that require practice

 

No, it's not.  

 

I'll bet $100 he can't hit a 300 yard drive in ten tries.  I'll be in South Carolina in October.

post #968 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

No, it's not.  

I'll bet $100 he can't hit a 300 yard drive in ten tries.  I'll be in South Carolina in October.

I'll take $100 of that action too! c2_beer.gif
post #969 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

FWIW - Nick, I hope you are taking English composition this year. Your posts are very difficult to decipher, which takes away from whatever you are trying to say.
its point style writing, kinda the new thing cause its so much faster, it's also kind of hard to type correctly on my phone without taking 20 min. Basically they are a bunch of points made in a succession building on each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

No, it's not.  

I'll bet $100 he can't hit a 300 yard drive in ten tries.  I'll be in South Carolina in October.
he lives in Seattle, But on my golf team we have 3 kids who hit it 300, can someone please explain to me why you find that so hard to beleive?
post #970 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

he lives in Seattle, But on my golf team we have 3 kids who hit it 300, can someone please explain to me why you find that so hard to beleive?

The kids on your team is completely believable (mainly because there are two on my team that do that as well), but I still find it unlikely that anyone with odds so terrible at even making solid contact is going to generate a 300 yard drive more than once in every 20 swings, especially if there is pressure on the shot.

 

To your thing on "point style writing", I would have to say that either your teachers didn't explain it well or you didn't pick up on it well. If your points build upon each other in succession, then you would still have something cohesive to read. When you jump from point to point within the same block of text, it can be relatively hard to follow for some people. Thus the reason it's perfectly acceptable to just add a small break between different topics and ideas just to make it others easier to read it.

post #971 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

To your thing on "point style writing", I would have to say that either your teachers didn't explain it well or you didn't pick up on it well. If your points build upon each other in succession, then you would still have something cohesive to read. When you jump from point to point within the same block of text, it can be relatively hard to follow for some people. Thus the reason it's perfectly acceptable to just add a small break between different topics and ideas just to make it others easier to read it.

Agreed on the point style writing. Nick, to me, you appear sloppy and incoherent writing that way. I get lost reading some of your posts. If you want feedback, that writing style turns off some of your audience, and writing in complete sentences with improved grammar would help get your points out. Your points would certainly build better!
post #972 of 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

But on my golf team we have 3 kids who hit it 300, can someone please explain to me why you find that so hard to beleive?

I never said I found that hard to believe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)