or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie... - Page 89

post #1585 of 1819

Yea I forgot to mention the two drives i absolutely creamed right up the middle.  I followed those up with hosel rockets off my 54* wedge.  right into bunkers.  Turned birdie looks into bogeys and doubles.  

 

I'm actually pretty terrified that I've lost my swing.  I was hitting em soooooo well up until last saturday then it all just came apart.

post #1586 of 1819
Well Neal, I'm not more convinced with your physical attributes. I'm 6'3 245lbs....linebacker in college...max bench was 475..can still bench 350lbs...I have a much more weight transferred and fluid swing than yours and if I really lay into a 7i I can hit it 200...if it all comes together.

Not calling you a liar...just think there's a little something you're missing...
post #1587 of 1819

These are my distances, 60 yr old fat man. Distances are averages taken recorded shots on golf logix.

 

Driver 220-230 best this year 248 

3w 200-210

5w 190-200

4h 175-185

4i  165

5i 155

6i 145

7i 135

8i 125

9i 115

pw 105

sw 80

lw 55

.

The only club that has been fitted is my driver, titleist 913 d2 with an bassara  a shaft. All the other clubs are Taylor Made super fast and super launch regular shaft. Any changes you would make to this bag?

 

Marty

post #1588 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosob View Post
 

These are my distances, 60 yr old fat man. Distances are averages taken recorded shots on golf logix.

 

Driver 220-230 best this year 248 

3w 200-210

5w 190-200

4h 175-185

4i  165

5i 155

6i 145

7i 135

8i 125

9i 115

pw 105

sw 80

lw 55

.

The only club that has been fitted is my driver, titleist 913 d2 with an bassara  a shaft. All the other clubs are Taylor Made super fast and super launch regular shaft. Any changes you would make to this bag?

 

Marty

 

If you are averaging 225 with your driver, your PW to 4i distances are a club short. Unless, you only make a half to three quarter swing with those.

 

I met a 71 year old (5'5" maybe 140 pounds) who hits his 6i Hogan Radials about 150 yards easily and reliably, and his 12 degree Cobra regular flex about 220 carry with a nice high ball flight. His PW was about 110 carry. I don't know how he does it, but he also has a severe OTT swing and somehow is a 12 handicap (held back a bit because of two bad knees).

post #1589 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Just to update mine. I am not sure I did since i switched to my Mizuno's and SLDR

 

Driver: 295-305

3-wood: 265-270

19 deg Hybrid: 230-235

 

4 iron: 216

5 iron: 204

6 iron: 192

7 Iron: 180

8 iron: 168

9 iron: 156

PW: 144

52 deg: 126

56 deg: 110

58 deg: 104

 

Nice distances.  Asking you, but also a general question.  You're about a club+ longer than me in general.  My question is this.  I see a lot of better players around here (and pros from things like the what's in my bag page in GD) are more like a club and a half longer than me with the long irons, but less than a full club longer than me with the short irons.  For example, my 4i is solidly my 200 club, error more often a tad longer than shorter, but feel best sitting right at 200.  But my I hit 8i 160, 9i 150, and PW 135.  I assume most guys still play with 4˚ gaps through somewhere in the mid irons and 3˚ gaps down low.  Is it just that better players are better ball strikers so average more like 12 yard gaps between clubs instead of the 10 yards I get pretty much all through my set?  And with the higher lofts the extra swing speed and more consistently flush contact adds a bit less distance?

post #1590 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Just to update mine. I am not sure I did since i switched to my Mizuno's and SLDR

 

Driver: 295-305

3-wood: 265-270

19 deg Hybrid: 230-235

 

4 iron: 216

5 iron: 204

6 iron: 192

7 Iron: 180

8 iron: 168

9 iron: 156

PW: 144

52 deg: 126

56 deg: 110

58 deg: 104

 

Nice distances.  Asking you, but also a general question.  You're about a club+ longer than me in general.  My question is this.  I see a lot of better players around here (and pros from things like the what's in my bag page in GD) are more like a club and a half longer than me with the long irons, but less than a full club longer than me with the short irons.  For example, my 4i is solidly my 200 club, error more often a tad longer than shorter, but feel best sitting right at 200.  But my I hit 8i 160, 9i 150, and PW 135.  I assume most guys still play with 4˚ gaps through somewhere in the mid irons and 3˚ gaps down low.  Is it just that better players are better ball strikers so average more like 12 yard gaps between clubs instead of the 10 yards I get pretty much all through my set?  And with the higher lofts the extra swing speed and more consistently flush contact adds a bit less distance?

 

 

I just read something @iacas  posted in a different thread.  Something about it being harder not to flip with longer clubs.  For myself (even though my distances are not even close to yours) I feel I hit my shorter clubs longer as well.  PW about 115, 8 iron about 140.  It drops off pretty quickly from there though.  To the point where I am not even sure of a consistent distance with a 4 iron.

post #1591 of 1819
Only know that for my 7 iron from when I had my fitting for my clubs 175-180 yards consistent with a club head speed of 88-90 mph
post #1592 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

If you are averaging 225 with your driver, your PW to 4i distances are a club short. Unless, you only make a half to three quarter swing with those.

 

I met a 71 year old (5'5" maybe 140 pounds) who hits his 6i Hogan Radials about 150 yards easily and reliably, and his 12 degree Cobra regular flex about 220 carry with a nice high ball flight. His PW was about 110 carry. I don't know how he does it, but he also has a severe OTT swing and somehow is a 12 handicap (held back a bit because of two bad knees).

I think there is a few things wrong with my bag. Driver is the right fit, no change. Shafts are to stiff for me, the irons launch to high, and there is to big of a gap in my wedges. I'm thinking about these changes. My irons launch to high because I hit up slightly on them. I'm working with a coach and trying to correct it. 

 

driver Titleist d2 @11.25 no change

3w change to about  16

hy @ 19

HY @23-24

5I-pw

w 50

w 54

w 58-60

 

Marty

post #1593 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosob View Post

I think there is a few things wrong with my bag. Driver is the right fit, no change. Shafts are to stiff for me, the irons launch to high, and there is to big of a gap in my wedges. I'm thinking about these changes. My irons launch to high because I hit up slightly on them. I'm working with a coach and trying to correct it. 

driver Titleist d2 @11.25 no change
3w change to about  16
hy @ 19
HY @23-24
5I-pw
w 50
w 54
w 58-60

Marty

Scooping should make the trajectory lower, unless you are also flipping a little.

Your other distances make good sense, just the irons were a little off to me. The coach should figure out what's happening.
post #1594 of 1819
Wow.. Most of the folks here averaging 285 yard drives! The average distance for PGA Tour players using driver is 287.4

Interesting...
post #1595 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post

Wow.. Most of the folks here averaging 285 yard drives! The average distance for PGA Tour players using driver is 287.4

Interesting...

Not true. I tallied them up at one point. Less than 20% hit that far, plus we are on a golf forum with more serious golfers. I would expect more of us to hit farther than "average".
post #1596 of 1819
From the posts, we have a lot of PGA Tour pro driver distance hitters here! From the few pages I read, some dudes were even posting 315 yd drive averages!!! Lol... Keep in mind Bubba Watson who just won the Masters, is #1 on the pga tour in driving distance at 315!

Wait! Wait! are you saying you went and tallied up 1,560 posts of people's distances here?

Dude you need to get a life... no offense
post #1597 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post

From the posts, we have a lot of PGA Tour pro driver distance hitters here! From the few pages I read, some dudes were even posting 315 yd drive averages!!! Lol... Keep in mind Bubba Watson who just won the Masters, is #1 on the pga tour in driving distance at 315!

Wait! Wait! are you saying you went and tallied up 1,560 posts of people's distances here?

Dude you need to get a life... no offense

 



You probably aren't doing the standard 30% reduction for "Internet distances". a2_wink.gif

With that reduction everything comes out about right.

More entertaining to me are the ones calculating how far you can hit a driver based on how far you can hit a pitching wedge.

By the formula I can hit my driver about a mile and a half.
post #1598 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

 

You probably aren't doing the standard 30% reduction for "Internet distances". a2_wink.gif

With that reduction everything comes out about right.

More entertaining to me are the ones calculating how far you can hit a driver based on how far you can hit a pitching wedge.

By the formula I can hit my driver about a mile and a half.

 

Or you are me who doesn't feel the need to embellish anything about my game :-D

post #1599 of 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post

From the posts, we have a lot of PGA Tour pro driver distance hitters here! From the few pages I read, some dudes were even posting 315 yd drive averages!!! Lol... Keep in mind Bubba Watson who just won the Masters, is #1 on the pga tour in driving distance at 315!

Wait! Wait! are you saying you went and tallied up 1,560 posts of people's distances here?

Dude you need to get a life... no offense

Yes, I write software for a living. I let the computers work for me. a3_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I just guesstimated this tally. I don't recall that many saying they hit that far without the handicap to back it up.

Lot's of people I know hit far, including ones on this forum.

The distinction between a pro is probably accuracy, I would guess?
post #1600 of 1819

It seems as though people are only giving their average GOOD shot driving distance.

post #1601 of 1819
I thought thats what we all did only count the average from solid hits with the face of the driver?

If you calculated all the shanks skyballs tops slices and hooks OF A HIGH HANDICAPPER.

Would that be a very representative figure?

Is the hcp itself very representative?average hcp that is.
post #1602 of 1819

When a pro tees off, knowing he averages 290, it would be safe to say "I bet he is going to hit this drive about 290yds." Now, a 20hcp'er, who hits 3/10 balls solid, and those 3 balls average 290yds while the other 7 balls average 200yds, gets on the tee box. Would you bet this amateur is going to hit the ball 290? Or would you bet more around the 225yd mark?

 

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to report on only solid shots, but, I think it helps put into perspective just how good the pros are.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie...