or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie... - Page 98

post #1747 of 1815

Driver - ~300
3w:~265

3h- ~235

3i: ~220

4i ~210

5i ~200

6i ~190

7i ~180

8i ~170 

9i ~160

PW ~140

56 ~ 120

60 ~100

 

distance isn't my problem, sending the ball in the right direction is the issue..

post #1748 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Right, if he thins his wedge 140 yards that's pretty undersirable. I don't really understand people who claim to hit wedges that far in a manner inconsistent to the club. a3_biggrin.gif

On the other hand, I have seen it done. 150 yard 52 degree wedges, but the ball flies into orbit and nearly sticks the green. Those golfers that do it are usually good D1 college players or mini-tour level players. Pretty sure any PGA pro could as well, but not sure they would.


See what he does is skip the club on the range mat and then hit the ball on the lower equator with the leading edge giving the illusion of the ball going high but you can clearly hear it hitting the mat first, if he was to hit from the ground and I have seen it he chunks the hell out of it, mats are very bad to hit off of because they will give players a sense of accomplishment when in fact they are not hitting the ball well or lets just say first at all. Personally I avoid hitting anything lower than a 8 iron on mats just because they will let a fat shot look a lot better. Another thing that disproves the assertions is I know someone who saw him hitting on a monitor and his swing speed was only in the 94-95 range with a driver.

post #1749 of 1815
Lw- never do full swings. Pretty much max at 50 yards
Sw- 90-100 yards
Gw-115
Pw-125
9-140
8-155
7- 175
6-190
5-200
4-215
3hybrid- 230
3wood- 250 off the deck Absoulty destroy it every time
Driver- anywhere from 270-290. Odd 300 yard one
post #1750 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post


See what he does is skip the club on the range mat and then hit the ball on the lower equator with the leading edge giving the illusion of the ball going high but you can clearly hear it hitting the mat first, if he was to hit from the ground and I have seen it he chunks the hell out of it, mats are very bad to hit off of because they will give players a sense of accomplishment when in fact they are not hitting the ball well or lets just say first at all. Personally I avoid hitting anything lower than a 8 iron on mats just because they will let a fat shot look a lot better. Another thing that disproves the assertions is I know someone who saw him hitting on a monitor and his swing speed was only in the 94-95 range with a driver.

Yeah, but if he's happy with his distances why argue. Just ignore his claims. Mats are bad for many reasons. I hate mats because I get all that bounce right back into my wrists.
post #1751 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

Yeah, but if he's happy with his distances why argue. Just ignore his claims. Mats are bad for many reasons. I hate mats because I get all that bounce right back into my wrists.

Agree. That was a point I got sidetracked from.....it doesn't matter what he believes.

All you gave in Japan are mats. Given test my problem is with fairway shots, I have no opportunity at all to practice. If the course isn't crowded, I hit balls as I walk to my ball. Or hit old balls out into the forest while waiting in the tee box.
post #1752 of 1815
Driver: 290-310
3i: 240-250 off the tee, 230-240 off the deck
4i: 220-230 off the tee, 215-220 off the deck
5i: 200-210
6i: 180carry
7i: 170 carry
8i: 160 carry
9i: 145 carry
Pw: 130 carry
Gw: 115 (rarely hit it full)
Sw: 100 (rarely hit it full)

6 iron down those yardages are within around 3 yards and the total distance depends on the green conditions. I don't hit many of the longer clubs into greens and havent hit them on a launch monitor recently so i guesstimated a bit. Just started playing again, havent bought a 2 hybrid or 3 wood yet.
post #1753 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshalcomb View Post

Driver: 290-310
3i: 240-250 off the tee, 230-240 off the deck
4i: 220-230 off the tee, 215-220 off the deck
5i: 200-210
6i: 180carry
7i: 170 carry
8i: 160 carry
9i: 145 carry
Pw: 130 carry
Gw: 115 (rarely hit it full)
Sw: 100 (rarely hit it full)

6 iron down those yardages are within around 3 yards and the total distance depends on the green conditions. I don't hit many of the longer clubs into greens and havent hit them on a launch monitor recently so i guesstimated a bit. Just started playing again, havent bought a 2 hybrid or 3 wood yet.

 

 

Just curious, as to why you have a 20 yd gap between your 6 and 5 iron's. I see the 15 yd gap between your 9 and 8 iron's, which maybe the loft's. Not saying those aren't accurate, just wondering, that's all.

post #1754 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshalcomb View Post

Driver: 290-310
3i: 240-250 off the tee, 230-240 off the deck
4i: 220-230 off the tee, 215-220 off the deck
5i: 200-210
6i: 180carry
7i: 170 carry
8i: 160 carry
9i: 145 carry
Pw: 130 carry
Gw: 115 (rarely hit it full)
Sw: 100 (rarely hit it full)

Mine are similar to yours through the 9i, then you pick up 20+ yards on each club compared to me.
post #1755 of 1815
To be honest, 5 iron is one of those guesses. I don't hit it very often for some reason and i just tried to remember about where i was last time i hit it.

BZCDR, are you talking about the wedges or the irons?
post #1756 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post


Just curious, as to why you have a 20 yd gap between your 6 and 5 iron's. I see the 15 yd gap between your 9 and 8 iron's, which maybe the loft's. Not saying those aren't accurate, just wondering, that's all.

He listed carry yardages up to 6i, then total distance beyond.

Not sure why his handicap is listed as 2013, he sounds like a low handicap.
post #1757 of 1815
I don't keep an official handicap. If i had to guess i'd be in the 13 neighborhood. My goal is to be around a single digit. Had a few crappy rounds recently though..,
post #1758 of 1815

There was some debate over the reality of Trackman results earlier spring. Tried it last week in competition where I measured a drive of 307 yards with GPS. I shot in the long drive competition 273 yards at another hole. Trackman estimates were something like 280 yards, so it seems accurate, at least with these results.

post #1759 of 1815

I don't know what monitor Golfsmith uses in their stores but it doesn't seem right to me. My real world good shots with my long driver are in the 340yd carry range measured with gps. The monitor at Golfsmith was showing similar yardages but it said my swing speed was 116. I would think my multiple real world good drives should put my actual swing speed in the 130's. So, my concerns are if they lean heavily on swing speed when fitting, would I be getting a correct fitment?

post #1760 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SMURF View Post
 

I don't know what monitor Golfsmith uses in their stores but it doesn't seem right to me. My real world good shots with my long driver are in the 340yd carry range measured with gps. The monitor at Golfsmith was showing similar yardages but it said my swing speed was 116. I would think my multiple real world good drives should put my actual swing speed in the 130's. So, my concerns are if they lean heavily on swing speed when fitting, would I be getting a correct fitment?


I wondered about the swing speed thing too. It says I drive 262 yards with a carry of 245 on average with a SS of 97mph. Seems like either I have superior SF on all my shots or there are some assumptions made to "calculate" swing speed. I also get spin readings in the 1800 to 2200 RPM range which seems very low.

 

In any case, the total distance seems about right for me too, and I got fitted into a PX6.0 shaft which works very nicely.

post #1761 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


I wondered about the swing speed thing too. It says I drive 262 yards with a carry of 245 on average with a SS of 97mph. Seems like either I have superior SF on all my shots or there are some assumptions made to "calculate" swing speed. I also get spin readings in the 1800 to 2200 RPM range which seems very low.

 

In any case, the total distance seems about right for me too, and I got fitted into a PX6.0 shaft which works very nicely.

Golfsmith does appear to have low swingspeed numbers, I don't think it's very sensitive in that regard. The reason I say that is over the winter I gained nearly 30 yards (and at least 30 pounds :whistle:) yet this year it still shows my driver/iron swingspeeds as being the same as they were last year. Last year it showed them in the 105-110 range for the driver, and somewhere in the 85-90 range with a 6-iron. This year it still show the same, even though I know for a fact that I'm swinging it faster than I was last year.

 

I think it has something to do with the fact that the optical sensor is primarily focusing on the ball rather than the club. I know that at some Golfsmith's they had the kind of sensor where the stripes on the ball have to be facing the sensor before it'll even work, which would lead me to believe that it's not really tracking the clubhead all that closely compared to the golf ball itself.

post #1762 of 1815

Not by best swings by a long shot, but flame away:

 

 

 

I will post some launch monitor stuff at some point.

post #1763 of 1815

Not even a chuckle from my father-n-laws commentary :whistle:

post #1764 of 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomp007 View Post
 

Not by best swings by a long shot, but flame away:

 

 

 

I will post some launch monitor stuff at some point.


I wondered about the accent on your photographer. At first I though you were Eastern European, and that might have been your dad.

 

It looks like you can get some distance with your swing, I think people are awaiting your launch monitor results.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie...