or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie... - Page 49

post #865 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker James View Post

 when I quoted that stat...it was only to point out what has been stated about " average scoring not changing in over a decade" based on several articles I had read that said more or less of the same thing.

 

I think that's a bigger myth than people want to believe, or bad/old information. From Bomb and Gouge:

 

 

Quote:

The USGA is unequivocal about average golfers: Despite decades of naysayers and experts alike suggesting that the average handicap is not dropping, has not dropped and never will drop, the fact is, it has. Let's say that again: The average handicap of all golfers -- men, women and children -- has decreased consistently for the past 15 years. The average handicap today is two strokes better than it was in the early 1990s, according to research provided to Golf Digest by the USGA's Golf Handicap & Information Network (GHIN).

post #866 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker James View Post

 when I quoted that stat...it was only to point out what has been stated about " average scoring not changing in over a decade" based on several articles I had read that said more or less of the same thing.  Here is only one of a half dozen or so I happened to see :  http://www.golfblogger.com/index.php/golf/comments/average_golf_score_remains_at_100/  I am sure if you look, you could also find many that will offer a different stat.  These are not MY numbers. Many factors would weigh in such as including ALL golfers, ones with (and without) established handicaps, weekend duffers, e.t.c.   it is all subjective.  I guess some could find solace in the fact that playing in the 90's is more less better than the OVERALL average. In reality this would be very hard to prove given that there are a lot of golfers like fisherman who tend to "imbellish" their facts.  I think my point was, that not much has changed in spite of equipment and course changes.  Nothing I intend to lose any sleep over and will just keep plugging away to see if I can improve for my own satisfaction.

I see your points, and So. Cal., where I live, might have some skewed statistics. We pretty much play year round. I should be much better than I am, but I just started playing seriously the last 8 months or so, and I am fighting with a flat swing.

My new coach said that the average handicap for someone keeping it is under 14.6. It is likely that these people play at least two or three rounds per week.

Like you said, golf is for enjoyment and personal improvement goals.
post #867 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


I see your points, and So. Cal., where I live, might have some skewed statistics. We pretty much play year round. I should be much better than I am, but I just started playing seriously the last 8 months or so, and I am fighting with a flat swing.

My new coach said that the average handicap for someone keeping it is under 14.6. It is likely that these people play at least two or three rounds per week.

Like you said, golf is for enjoyment and personal improvement goals.


Your golf instructor needs to read the PGA and USGA stats of legitimate handicaps that they review each year. The average handicap for weekend golfers (no pros, no golf shop or course pros, no college armatures, no daily players) just the weekend golfer that has been identified as a person playing 36 or more rounds of golf a year is over 25. Now he may not know these people and being an instructor he may never see them. He may only deal with that group of golfers that I noted in parentheses. I have a tendency to go with the governing agencies than a teaching pro. There are literally millions of weekend golfers in the world, tens of millions of them. That group of 287 or so that are touring pros worldwide (actually make their living solely from golf tournaments) are the elite of the elite of the elite.

post #868 of 1918

D:  270-255

5 wood:  230

3H:  215

4: 205

5:  190

6:  180

7:  170

8:  160

9:  155

PW:  150

GW:  135

SW:  125

LW:  100

post #869 of 1918

I'll join the fun. Here are my average distances: (I can get a little more out of a few clubs if I try to kill it, but I try not to do that.)

 

                Yards

Driver:        240 - 300

3-Wood:     220 - 250

4 Hybrid:    190 - 220

4-iron:        210

5-iron:        200

6-iron:        180 - 190

7-iron:        170

8-iron:        160

9-iron:        140 - 150

PW:            130

GW:            Don't have one. Need one for 100 - 115 yds!

LW:            60 - 90

 

With my driver right now I am getting better. Usually my average is around 250yds - 260yds but my distances vary above that as well when I play. My longest drive ever was 326 yards (a couple years ago) until I broke that record two weekends ago and hit one 356 yards right down the middle of the fairway on a 513 yard hole. I was stoked!!!! I took pictures of where it ended up but didn't get it on video a4_sad.gif; although there were 3 witnesses.  But that's not a normal occurrence. I wish it was!

post #870 of 1918

Driver- Don't use it... (cant hit it, need to find one I can hit...)

 

3W R11sTP max loft max open - 250-260 (60-70% also don't use it a ton usually only on par 5s)

3H 230ish

4 210-215 ( My go-to... i use it instead of a driver on all par 4s)

5 200

6 185

7 170ish

8 155-160

9 145

PW 120-125

54* 100-105 Full Out 85-90 3/4 Swing

60* 85ish (Never hit it full tho)

64* 60-65 (but I usually hit it thin so I don't hit it full either)

 

I have high launch so my ball carries far, but i don't get much roll, except where I don't want roll (on the green)

 

Because of my inconsistency with woods, which is getting better, I use a lot of irons, I would rather hit a 4i + 5i in the middle and get on or close than hit further and be in trouble...

post #871 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by michajo2k3 View Post

3W R11sTP max loft max open - 250-260 (60-70% also don't use it a ton usually only on par 5s)

 

Does this mean you hit it this distance 60-70% of the time, or that you're swinging 60-70% of your max?

 

Is your index accurate?

post #872 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Does this mean you hit it this distance 60-70% of the time, or that you're swinging 60-70% of your max?

 

Is your index accurate?

i hit it 60 or 70 percent of the time... 30 or 40 percent mishit.... still working on it... my index is correct, accoriding to the guy in my league that takes care of handicap.... unfortunately.  when I hit the ball i hit it great, but still working out more mishits than I would like, also my short game is not pretty and my putting needs improvement.... so  my iron game is good, but my overall game is pretty rusty

 

Today is a good example, I played a  quick 9 on a course I have never played, I birdied the first hole, then went bogey, double, bogey, par, double, double, triple, par for a total of 46.... which is probably the best round I have played this year.

post #873 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocParty View Post


Your golf instructor needs to read the PGA and USGA stats of legitimate handicaps that they review each year. The average handicap for weekend golfers (no pros, no golf shop or course pros, no college armatures, no daily players) just the weekend golfer that has been identified as a person playing 36 or more rounds of golf a year is over 25. Now he may not know these people and being an instructor he may never see them. He may only deal with that group of golfers that I noted in parentheses. I have a tendency to go with the governing agencies than a teaching pro. There are literally millions of weekend golfers in the world, tens of millions of them. That group of 287 or so that are touring pros worldwide (actually make their living solely from golf tournaments) are the elite of the elite of the elite.


Yes, the thought did cross my mind. I think he is just trying to make me and my kids improve. Otherwise, we would be perfectly happy where we are now... a1_smile.gif

 

However, if you take a current average on this website, I bet the average handicap is less than 15. maybe 12? or less?

post #874 of 1918

Since getting a few lessons and getting some new equipment over the last year and a half...

 

Driver - 250

3W - 220

3H - 210

4 - 200 

5 - 185

6 - 170

7 - 155

8 - 140

9 - 125

PW - 115

AW - 105

 

Pretty much never hit my 56 or 60 full, if I'm under 100 yards out i'm punching with a 7 or a 9.

post #875 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocParty View Post


Your golf instructor needs to read the PGA and USGA stats of legitimate handicaps that they review each year. The average handicap for weekend golfers (no pros, no golf shop or course pros, no college armatures, no daily players) just the weekend golfer that has been identified as a person playing 36 or more rounds of golf a year is over 25. Now he may not know these people and being an instructor he may never see them. He may only deal with that group of golfers that I noted in parentheses. I have a tendency to go with the governing agencies than a teaching pro. There are literally millions of weekend golfers in the world, tens of millions of them. That group of 287 or so that are touring pros worldwide (actually make their living solely from golf tournaments) are the elite of the elite of the elite.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Yes, the thought did cross my mind. I think he is just trying to make me and my kids improve. Otherwise, we would be perfectly happy where we are now... a1_smile.gif

 

However, if you take a current average on this website, I bet the average handicap is less than 15. maybe 12? or less?

 

I just had a look at the statistics in USGA. The cumulative percentage of golfers with a HP of 18 or better is 77%, and roughly 14 to 15 is right at the 50% percent cumulative mark.

 

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/articles_resources/Men-s--Handicap-Indexes/

 

I should trust my coach, he really knows golf.

post #876 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I just had a look at the statistics in USGA. The cumulative percentage of golfers with a HP of 18 or better is 77%, and roughly 14 to 15 is right at the 50% percent cumulative mark.

 

FWIW those are among people with handicaps, of course.

post #877 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

FWIW those are among people with handicaps, of course.

I agree, out of 18 guys in my league, maybe 3 of them have a u USGA handicap....  Range is from 15-30....  with some higher and lower...

post #878 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


I just had a look at the statistics in USGA. The cumulative percentage of golfers with a HP of 18 or better is 77%, and roughly 14 to 15 is right at the 50% percent cumulative mark.

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/articles_resources/Men-s--Handicap-Indexes/

I should trust my coach, he really knows golf.

Right, but a large majority of the golfers in this country do not have an official USGA handicap....even those that play regularly (once or twice a week).

I believe the average of people who HAVE an official USGA handicap is around 15. That makes sense. But if we factor in the thousands who don't have an official handicap, the average would be much higher, I'd guess 25-30 range.
post #879 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf View Post


Right, but a large majority of the golfers in this country do not have an official USGA handicap....even those that play regularly (once or twice a week).

I believe the average of people who HAVE an official USGA handicap is around 15. That makes sense. But if we factor in the thousands who don't have an official handicap, the average would be much higher, I'd guess 25-30 range.

It's also worth mentioning that 36.4 is the highest handicap possible, so a lot of bad players cap out and don't represent their actual ability in that average. If you used average score (which is not limited, even with ESC you are supposed to count every stroke towards the total, just using your ESC to prevent the inflation of your handicap index. You can make a 386 for 18 holes, submit a 108 or something to the USGA from ESC scores on every hole for calculating your index, but the 386 is still your score for all other purposes) instead of index, it would go higher than you can estimate by handicap alone, and this would still only include those who keep a handicap.

 

Mind you, this is totally off topic and has nothing to do with bragging about hitting the ball far, the purpose of this thread. But for the purposes of this argument, the average score is probably higher than any of us can imagine, especially if you apply strict rules.

post #880 of 1918

Driver- 240-260

3Wood-230-240

Hybrid- 225-230

3i- 215

4I-205

5I-195

6I-180

7I-165

8I-150

9I-130

PW-115

GW 50-90

SW 56-60

 

all carry and yards

post #881 of 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrion86 View Post

Driver- 240-260

3Wood-230-240

Hybrid- 225-230

3i- 215

4I-205

5I-195

6I-180

7I-165

8I-150

9I-130

PW-115

GW 50-90

SW 56-60

 

all carry and yards

some crazy gaps on the irons

post #882 of 1918

Driver: 260-270 carry

3 wood: 245-255 carry

2 hybrid: 225-235 carry

3 Hybrid: 215-220 carry

4 Iron: 200-205

5 Iron: 180-190

6 Iron: 170-180

7 Iron: 160-170

8 Iron: 150-160

9 Iron: 130-145

pw: 105-125

sw: 80-100

lw: 50-75

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Average Distances... How far do you hit each club? and don't lie...