or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips - Page 10

post #163 of 181

I have no doubt that the baseball grip is probably more wristy than the others. To me "the other" grips are to stiff and don't allow me to make a full backswing, but I haven't tried them for too long.

I think any of them are effective, as long as you feel comfortable with them.

post #164 of 181

I've been using an overlap grip since my very first golf swing.  Today at the range this thread popped into my mind and I decided to give the interlock grip a try.  The result was a miserable failure with my irons, but my contact with my driver was incredible.  It seemed like the interlock almost forced me to bring the clubhead back to square on the downswing and sent everything straight down the target line.  I only had a small bucket and didn't switch my grip until the last few balls, so I really didn't have a chance to give the grip a thorough test, but I'm liking what I saw so far. 

post #165 of 181

I still use baseball grip because the other 2 just feel unnatural.  I am still working on my grip so maybe over time I will change to one of the others (overlap feels better than interlock). 

post #166 of 181

I always liked Overlapped best.  Interlocked never felt right to me.  I would not consider a baseball grip.  To disjointed.  The hands need to be tied together.

post #167 of 181

I always used interlock.  Overlap felt "weird"

 

But, in golf, learning something new always feels wrong at first.

 

This last year I made a real effort to switch to overlap.  I had a lot of other improvement items I played with and practiced a lot so the big gains (18 or so start got as low as a 10 which I hope to continue to work on) could be due to many things.

 

However, overlap now feels quite natural and allows me to more easily move around strong vs weak alignments and figure out what's best for me.  Definitely overlap helps to let me adjust the right hand out of the equation which is huge for being more consistent.

 

This and couple other things were real eye openers - So I'm working to find someone to take lessons, I'd be happy to start from scratch with the right instruction just to see what there is to learn and improve on.

post #168 of 181

I started out with interlock, switched to overlap, and then switched back to interlock.

 

My problem with overlap is that I have average sized fingers, but large palms, and my hands kept slipping. Interlock feels the best for me, even after I used the overlap for a few years. 

post #169 of 181

Might be being lazy here but... what is the benefit of overlap vs interlock or vice versa.  Personally I have always gone with the baseball grip since I taught myself day 1.  I have tried interlock but I feel like the club is going to fly out of my hands.  Any big downsides to baseball?  Seems to be working for me as my game is progressing year to year....

post #170 of 181

I use the baseball grip.  It allows me to hit the ball farther than with the interlocking grip.

post #171 of 181

I use the baseball grip.. I know for most it's far to "wristy" but interlocking pulls too hard as i transition downward.. The overlap feels completely unnatural to me as well. I have tried to switch far to many times to count.. For me, the baseball grip feels good and i'm able to use both my hands/wrists in unison.

post #172 of 181

You know... while I was recovering from my injury, I had be wondering all along about my grip.

 

As a lefty, I have not found one good training aid for grips or grip pressure. I think I am going to revisit this subject matter.

 

I am just not comfy... And there is no real aid to help find that comfort level.
 

post #173 of 181

I'd love to hear some opinions on anyone who was a long time baseball gripper and switched.  I've been using the baseball grip since I started playing when I was like 14 and never thought twice about it until very recently when I started actually playing consistently.  I decided I'm going to try switching my grip and see what happens.  Went to the range yesterday and hit my first bucket without baseball grip ever.  I tried interlock because overlap feels way too weird to me.  I was hitting the ball ok but sending a lot of them off to the right for some reason. Didn't try the driver

post #174 of 181

I use them all!  b5_confused.gif

 

Baseball for my driver, interlock for my irons, overlap on my chips, and reverse overlap on my putter...

 

As a kid I started with an interlock grip on everything, and over the years of tinkering I've ended up with this insane combination.

post #175 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post

I use them all!  b5_confused.gif

 

Baseball for my driver, interlock for my irons, overlap on my chips, and reverse overlap on my putter...

 

As a kid I started with an interlock grip on everything, and over the years of tinkering I've ended up with this insane combination.


I actually thought about going this route. Driver just seems so baseball grippy like... Long irons too..  Interlock works from 6-W  Overlap is dynamite for my Putter.

post #176 of 181

Overlap on all clubs, reverse overlap on the putter.

post #177 of 181

I'm a pretty new golfer (last three years) and I learned using the baseball grip.  About halfway through the summer last year I switched to the interlock grip to help do something to straighten out my crazy slice off the driver.  It was weird at first and weird on my irons, but I can't even imagine going back now.  I think it helped me loosen up my deathgrip on the clubs a little bit and lessened the wrist over-action.

 

If anything I would use baseball on my irons, I can't imagine swinging my driver any other way.

post #178 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good View Post

I'd love to hear some opinions on anyone who was a long time baseball gripper and switched.  I've been using the baseball grip since I started playing when I was like 14 and never thought twice about it until very recently when I started actually playing consistently.  I decided I'm going to try switching my grip and see what happens.  Went to the range yesterday and hit my first bucket without baseball grip ever.  I tried interlock because overlap feels way too weird to me.  I was hitting the ball ok but sending a lot of them off to the right for some reason. Didn't try the driver


Interlock limits your wrist action, which would explain why you were losing it to the right.  Really the is no, "right" answer to this question because its all in what feels right and work for you.  Most teachers would advise not using the interlock, yet the 2 best golfers ever use the interlock.

post #179 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post


Interlock limits your wrist action, which would explain why you were losing it to the right.  Really the is no, "right" answer to this question because its all in what feels right and work for you.  Most teachers would advise not using the interlock, yet the 2 best golfers ever use the interlock.

 

I disagree that interlocking "limits" your wrist action and that "most teachers would advise not using the interlock." What's your proof of this?

post #180 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

I disagree that interlocking "limits" your wrist action and that "most teachers would advise not using the interlock." What's your proof of this?


My proof is various places that Ive heard this from and personal experience: Youtube golf pros, PGA pros that Ive taken lessons from, golf magazines and golf instruction shows on TGC.  Ive played with all 3 grips from time to time and find that my wrist action is most passive with the interlock.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips