or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What does the average weekend golfer shoot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does the average weekend golfer shoot? - Page 5

post #73 of 366

The average weekend golfer uses at least two mulligans and a foot wedge so who knows!

post #74 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey71 View Post

I can only speak for myself, but I can only afford about $30 a week for golf; maybe. I try to keep it to 1 round (18 holes) a week. Now, that being said, the days I don't play, I practice. I'm grateful to have areas near and around my house where I can practice short game stuff without spending money (120 yards and in). If I go to the range that's $7 for a large basket of balls so I try to make it very effective, thinking about every shot and taking my time.
As far as the"average weekend golfer" I'd say you would have to look at how many hours a week go into his/her game. Right now, due to my schedule of events (no particular order of merit); job (8 hrs a day and maybe 1/2 a day OT on Saturdays), church band practice once a week, church services 3 times a week, work around the house, and spending time with my wife; I really try to put in at the minimum of 1 hour a day through the week for practice on some aspect of the game. Would I like to do more? Absolutely. I feel that the "average weekend golfer" doesn't practice very much if any, and might play every weekend if the mood strikes them. Golf is definitely low on the priority list for this sort.

Your handicap is pretty good for a weekend duffer like me. There's hope for me to get into the teens? Oh well, it's fun.

One person said that most of us have a foot wedge or mulligans per 9 holes. I don't see a point in it, but some of my more seasoned playing partners have done this.

If you play any sport, it seems you should follow the ruls as best as you can. It makes no sense to save a 106 round by taking a mulligan.
post #75 of 366

I can say i'm a weekend golfer. I always play skins with my friends so we play strict rules always.

I shoot 72 till 82. I play some competition golf normaly but this year work was just to busy to regularly compete 

in the gentsgame on wednesday evening. I only played 4 times out off the 16 total. I did manage to take the long drive competition

by hitting it 3 times out of 4. scores in the competition were 75,81,78,73

post #76 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey71 View Post

I can only speak for myself, but I can only afford about $30 a week for golf; maybe. I try to keep it to 1 round (18 holes) a week. Now, that being said, the days I don't play, I practice. I'm grateful to have areas near and around my house where I can practice short game stuff without spending money (120 yards and in). If I go to the range that's $7 for a large basket of balls so I try to make it very effective, thinking about every shot and taking my time.

As far as the"average weekend golfer" I'd say you would have to look at how many hours a week go into his/her game. Right now, due to my schedule of events (no particular order of merit); job (8 hrs a day and maybe 1/2 a day OT on Saturdays), church band practice once a week, church services 3 times a week, work around the house, and spending time with my wife; I really try to put in at the minimum of 1 hour a day through the week for practice on some aspect of the game. Would I like to do more? Absolutely. I feel that the "average weekend golfer" doesn't practice very much if any, and might play every weekend if the mood strikes them. Golf is definitely low on the priority list for this sort.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Your handicap is pretty good for a weekend duffer like me. There's hope for me to get into the teens? Oh well, it's fun.
One person said that most of us have a foot wedge or mulligans per 9 holes. I don't see a point in it, but some of my more seasoned playing partners have done this.
If you play any sport, it seems you should follow the ruls as best as you can. It makes no sense to save a 106 round by taking a mulligan.


All I know to do is keep practicing and keep playing as much as I can afford to. The past 2 nine hole rounds I played I shot a 37 on a par 35 and a 40 on a par 36. Practicing is starting to pay off - things are just "clicking". I don't use a foot wedge or mulligans, serves no purpose other than hurting myself. Plus, it doesn't help me with my golf goals. A lot of people will move a ball if they hit it in the dirt. My thought is, if you don't want to play out of the dirt - don't hit in it.

post #77 of 366

Whatever the weekend golfer claims he shoots, take 5-10 off and you've got the real score.  They aren't lying per say, they just ignore lots of rules (OB and lost ball are common ones), they take mulligans, and they take huge gimmies (i've seen 4 foot gimmies).  The weekend golfer to me is someone who plays once a week and was never serious about the game.  A player who used to be serious and now only plays on weekends wouldn't qualify for the above.

post #78 of 366

I am a weekend golfer who golfs 1-2 times a week for about 6 yrs now and i still have my days where i cant break 100 I personally would say im better than the average "weekend golfer"most people lie and like posted use their foot wedges and mulligans or tee off multiple times till desired shot is made lol

post #79 of 366

It is a difficult question to answer as I play mostly with players that maintain a USGA handicap and that is only about a fifth of all golfers.  So I don't have a lot of experience with the weekend golfers.  But whenever I do go out, usually with my grandson, on weekends at the local municipal courses I make the following observations.  First weekend golfers don't play by the rules and most don't know the rules and they tend to see you as some sort of "golf snob" if you play by the rules.  But you can usually correct that assumption by letting them know you play some competition golf and it's important to keep a honest handicap and don't make a running commentary on the rules they break.   Second, while there are some exceptions, most weekend golfers could not break 110 if they followed the rules and could count, IMHO.  But I don't have a problem with this as they have fun and contribute to keeping the courses open and equipment manufactures in business and I don't bet with them.  In fact I usually enjoy these rounds as I meet a lot of nice folks and get to visit with my Grandson.  I'm just a live and let live sort of guy I guess.

post #80 of 366

I'm pretty average I think.  My handicap is 19, and I typically shoot in the low 90's.  I have been known to post a 100+ or two though.  Until recently, I was playing maybe 6-9 times a year.  Recently I've become more dedicated to the game and I'm hopeful 80's are in my future.

 

I will say I've played with a number of people with handicaps in the mid-to-low teens who are really nowhere near that good.  You watch closely and you'll see first-tee mulligans, balls dropped where they went OB, balls dropped behind the water hazard with no regard to the correct line, the 3-footer raked back towards towards the hole that didn't go in and the occasional "accidental" addition error.

post #81 of 366

If the definition of weekend golfer is two rounds a week that would be me. I play 9 roughly 2-3 times a week and usually one round on the weekend. My handicap is legit and I don't fudge anything. Everything gets accounted for and I don't take muligans or gimmes. Actually the last few weeks I've been playing better so I should trend down. This is my first season back to serious golf in 13 yrs. Because of my previous experience I have no doubt that by the end of spring 2013 I will have moved into single digits as a weekend golfer.

post #82 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

If the definition of weekend golfer is two rounds a week that would be me. I play 9 roughly 2-3 times a week and usually one round on the weekend. My handicap is legit and I don't fudge anything. Everything gets accounted for and I don't take muligans or gimmes. Actually the last few weeks I've been playing better so I should trend down. This is my first season back to serious golf in 13 yrs. Because of my previous experience I have no doubt that by the end of spring 2013 I will have moved into single digits as a weekend golfer.

 

To me, someone who plays two-to-three times a week is not a weekend golfer.  A weekend golfer is someone who plays only on the weekend, and not all weekends at that.  In short, someone who just goes out to play - not someone who works on it, save for the 30 minutes on the range before their round.

post #83 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

If the definition of weekend golfer is two rounds a week that would be me. I play 9 roughly 2-3 times a week and usually one round on the weekend. My handicap is legit and I don't fudge anything. Everything gets accounted for and I don't take muligans or gimmes. Actually the last few weeks I've been playing better so I should trend down. This is my first season back to serious golf in 13 yrs. Because of my previous experience I have no doubt that by the end of spring 2013 I will have moved into single digits as a weekend golfer.

 

To me, someone who plays two-to-three times a week is not a weekend golfer.  A weekend golfer is someone who plays only on the weekend, and not all weekends at that.  In short, someone who just goes out to play - not someone who works on it, save for the 30 minutes on the range before their round.

LOL @ 30 minutes before the round. Or did you mean 30 seconds?!?

post #84 of 366

I play one round a week, sometimes two rounds. I don't lie about my scores. I try to work on my game and am registering improvement. So I resent the term "Weekend Golfer" as it is used to imply "Weekend Hack." hehehe

I don't always play perfectly according to rules, but I don't advertise those scores either. All scores I would use to calculate a handicap would be scores considering the R.O.G. Last week on a non busy day I recorded and posted scores of 10 & 12.... hehehe I think its pretty clear that I don't bend the rules for the most part. Only if I have to, and I generally take a 2 stroke if I have to. :-p
 

post #85 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post

I play one round a week, sometimes two rounds. I don't lie about my scores. I try to work on my game and am registering improvement. So I resent the term "Weekend Golfer" as it is used to imply "Weekend Hack." hehehe

 

I agree. I can only afford maybe 1 or 2 rounds a week, due to finances and schedule. In the time I'm not playing I practice. I want my game to improve and I know it won't improve without practice. I also know that improving your lye with a foot wedge or any of that kind of garbage WON'T help, so I don't do it. If I have a question about a situation, I go ahead a take the penalty stroke or two, then after consulting the rules or even sending an e-mail to get a ruling, then I will adjust my score if needed. Last week I played 9 one day and on a par 35 shot a 37. The next day played 9 at a different course, par 36 and shot a 40. I believe the term "average weekend golfer" is too vague and just because a person doesn't play everday doesn't make them a hack...

post #86 of 366

10 strokes more than what they put on their scorecard.

post #87 of 366

So at one time I played golf with a couple guys I work with. When I hear the term "average weekend golfer" my mind immediatly thinks of them. These guys will improve their lye on most shots, they do not hit a provisional just in case, and "gimmie" is their reward for a decent approach shot or to save a up and down for par. The last time we played together when they totaled their score it was in the low to mid 90's. I know of course they each should have added at least 5 strokes. I don't claim to know all the rules, but I do adhere to the ones I know and I don't do "gimmies". I don't play with these guys anymore, mainly because of their attitude towards the game. I don't have a problem with someone going out and playing however they want, I have a problem when they want me to play like them so they feel justified in their screwed up game. I found, for me, the best way to learn the tough shots is to take them as they lye, whether it's on the dirt, in the rocks, or behind a root. These are the shots that drive me to keep learning to hit the fairways off the tee and hit more GIRs

post #88 of 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

It tells me that most "weekend hacks" aren't as passionate about golf as those willing to join internet golf forums and discuss their typical scores. Is that where you were going with that?

I would say that is somewhat true. Most "weekend golfers"  and by that I will define them as those who go out and play with friends using mulligans etc and never play in tournaments or maintain a legit handicap.  They may play more often but do not take it as serious as someone who plays in tourney's and maintains a handicap. They probably will not visit a site like this and talk about their scores. I play with some friends and we will play "weekend rules" because they dont take it as serious as I do. I like to look at those as practice round and hit an extra ball etc. I would not say they are less passionate, just lack the desire to do anything more than enjoy a round with friends and have some fun experiences. 

post #89 of 366

Play the Red or Black at Bethpage and the weekend golfer will shoot higher then 110!

post #90 of 366

I think we need to redefine weekend golfer. Someone who consistently goes out once every weekend should be able to break 100 consistently. The average golfer who plays on the weekend likely doesn't play anywhere close to once per week. Those are the ones who I would expect to be well into the triple digits.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What does the average weekend golfer shoot?