or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Jack or Tiger: Who's the greatest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jack or Tiger: Who's the greatest - Page 195

Poll Results: Tiger or Jack: Who's the best?

 
  • 69% (1634)
    Tiger Woods is the man
  • 30% (716)
    Jack Nicklaus is my favorite
2350 Total Votes  
post #3493 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post


Palmer started as a pro near the end of Hogan's career. Good point about Snead and Nelson and Thomson and  Locke as Open Champion specialists but the key point is the depth of the field. Jack had Arnie, Casper, Watson, Player, Floyd, Trevino, Miller and Seve in his time and Tiger has had Phil, Singh, Goosen, McIlroy and Els.

Thomson and Locke were British Open specialists at a time when Americans dominated top level golf and almost none of them went over to play the British Open.

post #3494 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post


It's been said in this thread that it's hard to compare among different eras and that's true. But this thread once again, is about comparing Jack and Tiger so none of that matters. And in the last 40-50 years, winning majors has been the metric. Arnie started the modern major talk, Jack ran with it and Tiger measures Jack's record.

 

Yup, when you cannot counter an argument, rule it out of bounds.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post

 

18 is jacks number, but 19 is also another number for jack 19 second places and 53 is another number, that's jacks top 10 finishes in majors. My point is if you use majors as the bench mark, something I subscribe to, Tiger may very well get 20 wins but if level of finishes drops off, then I would still give the edge to jack based on his wins, 2nd and top ten finishes

 

And there it is in full display, the fallback position for the Tiger detractors.

post #3495 of 4670

Here is the list of most PGA tour wins.  For Ben Hogan to surpass the three above him, he would need a significant factor in his favor.  Snead was his peer and won more tournaments.  If you go by winning %, Woods has Hogan beat.

 

Rank Name Lifespan Country Wins Majors Winning
span
Span
(years)
1 Sam Snead 1912–2002  United States 82 7 1936–1965 30
2 Tiger Woods 1975–  United States 79 14 1996–2013 18
3 Jack Nicklaus 1940–  United States 73 18 1962–1986 25
4 Ben Hogan 1912–1997  United States 64 9 1938–1959 22
5 Arnold Palmer 1929–  United States 62 7 1955–1973 19
6 Byron Nelson 1912–2006  United States 52 5 1935–1951 17
7 Billy Casper 1931–  United States 51 3 1956–1975 20
8 Walter Hagen 1892–1969  United States 45 11 1914–1936 23
9 Phil Mickelson 1970–  United States 42 5 1991–2013 23
10 Cary Middlecoff 1921–1998  United States 40 3 1945–1961 17
11 Gene Sarazen 1902–1999  United States 39 7 1922–1941 20
  Tom Watson 1949–  United States 39 8 1974–1998 25
13 Lloyd Mangrum 1914–1973  United States 36 1 1940–1956 17
14 Vijay Singh 1963–  Fiji 34 3 1993–2008 16
15 Horton Smith 1908–1963  United States 32 2 1928–1941 14
16 Harry Cooper 1904–2000  United States 31 0 1923–1939 17
  Jimmy Demaret 1910–1983  United States 31 3 1938–1957 20
18 Leo Diegel 1899–1951  United States 30 2 1920–1934 15
19 Gene Littler 1930–  United States 29 1 1954–1977 24
  Paul Runyan 1908–2002  United States 29 2 1930–1941 12
  Lee Trevino 1939–  United States 29 6 1968–1984 17
post #3496 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Here is the list of most PGA tour wins.  For Ben Hogan to surpass the three above him, he would need a significant factor in his favor.  Snead was his peer and won more tournaments.  If you go by winning %, Woods has Hogan beat.

 

Rank Name Lifespan Country Wins Majors Winning
span
Span
(years)
1 Sam Snead 1912–2002  United States 82 7 1936–1965 30
2 Tiger Woods 1975–  United States 79 14 1996–2013 18
3 Jack Nicklaus 1940–  United States 73 18 1962–1986 25
4 Ben Hogan 1912–1997  United States 64 9 1938–1959 22
5 Arnold Palmer 1929–  United States 62 7 1955–1973 19
6 Byron Nelson 1912–2006  United States 52 5 1935–1951 17
7 Billy Casper 1931–  United States 51 3 1956–1975 20
8 Walter Hagen 1892–1969  United States 45 11 1914–1936 23
9 Phil Mickelson 1970–  United States 42 5 1991–2013 23
10 Cary Middlecoff 1921–1998  United States 40 3 1945–1961 17
11 Gene Sarazen 1902–1999  United States 39 7 1922–1941 20
  Tom Watson 1949–  United States 39 8 1974–1998 25
13 Lloyd Mangrum 1914–1973  United States 36 1 1940–1956 17
14 Vijay Singh 1963–  Fiji 34 3 1993–2008 16
15 Horton Smith 1908–1963  United States 32 2 1928–1941 14
16 Harry Cooper 1904–2000  United States 31 0 1923–1939 17
  Jimmy Demaret 1910–1983  United States 31 3 1938–1957 20
18 Leo Diegel 1899–1951  United States 30 2 1920–1934 15
19 Gene Littler 1930–  United States 29 1 1954–1977 24
  Paul Runyan 1908–2002  United States 29 2 1930–1941 12
  Lee Trevino 1939–  United States 29 6 1968–1984 17

I wouldn't place Hogan above Woods or Nicklaus but vs Snead, I'd say Hogan was superior to Sam. Snead never won the US Open and Hogan lost a year due to his accident and spent 2 years overseas in WWII as did Snead. So Hogan was active for 19 years vs 28 for Snead. We can parse numbers all day but 4 US Open wins for Hogan and the career grand slam elevates him to a level achieved only by Jack, Tiger and Bobby Jones.

post #3497 of 4670

I noticed that the old timers like Snead, Hogan, Palmer etc, did not win their first event until age 26 on average. Tiger won at age 20 or 21. What is the consensu opinion as to how many wins these old timers would have gotten had A) they started on tour at age 21 and B) they did not have time overseas during WW2?

 

Five? Ten? Twenty?
 

post #3498 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post

I noticed that the old timers like Snead, Hogan, Palmer etc, did not win their first event until age 26 on average. Tiger won at age 20 or 21. What is the consensu opinion as to how many wins these old timers would have gotten had A) they started on tour at age 21 and B) they did not have time overseas during WW2?

 

Five? Ten? Twenty?
 


This and numerous other variables make it impossible to compare among eras.

post #3499 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post

I noticed that the old timers like Snead, Hogan, Palmer etc, did not win their first event until age 26 on average. Tiger won at age 20 or 21. What is the consensu opinion as to how many wins these old timers would have gotten had A) they started on tour at age 21 and B) they did not have time overseas during WW2?

 

Five? Ten? Twenty?
 

Maybe they weren't good enough before that.  Tiger was.

post #3500 of 4670
Jack never faked a back injury to cover for losing an event. Tiger just did. He's weak.
post #3501 of 4670

Stated simply "the ruler you use has every thing to do with the resulting measurement".   So in the case of who is the GOAT there just doesn't seem to be a "unbiased" ruler for the measurement. Iacas is correct it is just opinion.   But it certainly makes for interesting reading on the forum.  

post #3502 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post

Jack never faked a back injury to cover for losing an event. Tiger just did. He's weak.

 

What a stupid thing to say.

post #3503 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post

Jack never faked a back injury to cover for losing an event. Tiger just did. He's weak.

 

Just like he faked that leg issue...just in case he lost the US Open, right?

 

Oh wait, double leg fracture, and a torn ACL...clearly fake...

 

I actually heard he had fake surgery on it and fake rehabilitated for a year.

post #3504 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post

Jack never faked a back injury to cover for losing an event. Tiger just did. He's weak.

 

You can crawl back under your rock now, where you must have been when they passed out the brains.

post #3505 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

You can crawl back under your rock now, where you must have been when they passed out the brains.
lol. Sorry, I was sitting bored in a parking lot waiting for an hour to pick someone up when I wrote that. I was curious to see how many people I could piss off. I'm surprised you were it!
post #3506 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post


lol. Sorry, I was sitting bored in a parking lot waiting for an hour to pick someone up when I wrote that. I was curious to see how many people I could piss off. I'm surprised you were it!

 

Unsuccessful troll was unsuccessful?

 

b2_tongue.gif

post #3507 of 4670

As of right now Jack is better.   Tiger is "chasing him"   You cant chase someone who is behind you.     Jack also took some years off from golf not knowing he was going to be as great as he had become.  Tiger was a production, a trend, a big fat bottom pouting lip.  Keep in mind Jack's greatness came from being great, Tiger's greatness came from a public relations team.  He isn't the best but he was the next in line to become the best.  That is still the story line, watch to see if Tiger will be the best.  IT looks like 70% of you bought the story line and who knows right now you may be right but you failed to acknowledge Jack has already done it and Tiger is striving to beat him.

 

 

Jack is better-  

 

 

PS I am not an "old timer" I am Tigers age.

post #3508 of 4670

From someone who's took his back out, that's pretty much what it looks like, i wouldn't want to do it in the middle of a golf swing. But, when you do pull your back out, you basically don't want to move, its not fun.

 

Though tiger shouldn't be bitching about bad hotel beds. You'd think he makes enough money to sleep at some place with very nice beds. I suspect since he owns a yacht that Tiger likes his luxury. Oh well.

post #3509 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed Whacker View Post

Jack also took some years off from golf not knowing he was going to be as great as he had become.

 

Huh?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed Whacker View Post

Tiger's greatness came from a public relations team.

 

Wait, so… Mark Steinberg won 14 majors and 70-some PGA Tour events?

post #3510 of 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed Whacker View Post

As of right now Jack is better.   Tiger is "chasing him"   You cant chase someone who is behind you.     Jack also took some years off from golf not knowing he was going to be as great as he had become.  Tiger was a production, a trend, a big fat bottom pouting lip.  Keep in mind Jack's greatness came from being great, Tiger's greatness came from a public relations team.  He isn't the best but he was the next in line to become the best.  That is still the story line, watch to see if Tiger will be the best.  IT looks like 70% of you bought the story line and who knows right now you may be right but you failed to acknowledge Jack has already done it and Tiger is striving to beat him.

 

 

Jack is better-  

 

 

PS I am not an "old timer" I am Tigers age.

Erik has it nailed but I just could not keep from commenting on the general lack of thought in this post.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Jack or Tiger: Who's the greatest