or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › How come Pros do not use iron covers or...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How come Pros do not use iron covers or... - Page 7

post #109 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Pros have no reasons to use iron covers or tubes because they can get new clubs any time they want for free.  If all you had to do was stop at the tour truck and could get custom fitted for a set of whatever you wanted, would YOU use covers/tubes?

 

For some reason people continue to perpetuate this myth that irons, particularly forged irons will somehow be damaged through normal use if not protected by covers.  Nonsense.

 

This is what a set of forged irons looks like after 4 years, 500+ rounds, and countless range sessions.  It's worth noting that I'm a bit of a digger too.  As you can see, they're nearly ready for the trash heap.  Barely playable.......  e3_rolleyes.gif

 

 

 

 

 

If someone wants to use iron covers, they should knock themselves out and do so.  But understand that your clubs will not suffer ANY damage if you don't, and if you do, you will be viewed as a hack by the vast majority of better golfers. 


Edited by David in FL - 2/26/13 at 9:14am
post #110 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

 

For some reason people continue to perpetuate this myth that irons, particularly forged irons will somehow be damaged through normal use if not protected by covers.  Nonsense.

 

This is what a set of forged irons looks like after 4 years, 500+ rounds, and countless range sessions.  It's worth noting that I'm a bit of a digger too.  As you can see, they're nearly ready for the trash heap.  Barely playable.......  e3_rolleyes.gif

 

 

Hey David, now that I know your address I'll be hanging around your trash heap looking to score your cast-offs c2_beer.gif

post #111 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Hey David, now that I know your address I'll be hanging around your trash heap looking to score your cast-offs c2_beer.gif

Long trip from up there for a set of irons that beat up! a1_smile.gif
Edited by David in FL - 2/26/13 at 12:20pm
post #112 of 180

I purchased covers because of the clanging and didn't feel the contact would be good for the clubs.

I understand what some are saying here about the abuse clubs take when hitting out of many certain ball lies.

I had a set of clubs that I used (off and on) for 15 years and it really didn't seem to effect them at all. I golf maybe 3 times a year on average so I'm sure that played a big role also.

 

I like the suggestion here to put the covers on when they are in your vehicle(cleaned and dried), and take them off when at the course.

Sounds sensible to me.

 

The covers I did buy this year are neoprene and after having golfed 4 times so far(lol, I'm catching the golf bug...look at me go), they are falling apart already.

post #113 of 180
IRon covers are just as bad as water bottles in landfills. Please be done.
post #114 of 180
The ONLY time I ever use iron covers is when in traveling and want to reduce the chances of my irons smashing against each other. We all see how airport personnel throw around luggage. And I don't want to get a hard case lol.
post #115 of 180

Hey guys

I use my covers on my irons always, take them off only when playing as soon as im done clean the irons  dry them out, and then put the covers on from the club back to house !

 

Helps keep the irons safe from rusting if u live in a place with ocean etc. 

post #116 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidetake Ak View Post

Helps keep the irons safe from rusting if u live in a place with ocean etc. 

It might actually make them more likely to rust. Moisture can build up and be trapped inside.
post #117 of 180

 Shit  i have to run back home and take them off I HATE MIAMI HAHAHAHA

post #118 of 180

... And the thread is back.

 

I was a fan of iron covers. Used them for a long time and still have them on my clubs now. With that said, my clubs have some rust and look just as bad as my previous set of irons in which no iron covers were used. I'm getting a new set of irons this spring, and won't be using covers. The rust issue alone makes them not worth it. I dry my clubs off, but if the cover gets wet on a damp morning and you don't remember to leave it off, your clubs will rust as a result. IMO that looks worse than some light dings. A person who is very particular and spends alot of time cleaning each club can keep their irons looking very nice by using covers, but if you aren't willing to put in that time & hassle then they can have an adverse effect.

 

I disagree with the "only hackers use iron covers" theory though. I know people that use iron covers that can beat me, and I don't consider myself a hacker.

post #119 of 180
Just wondered Big O sorry,Oscar if you have a cover for your (PRO) Putter?
post #120 of 180

New forged Titleist irons (VG3 )for me, so of course i'm concerned.  But only during transit as i'm sometimes on crummy buses, even motorbikes.  I made covers, from old towels which look like big socks with attached tying lines.  Accommodate 3 or 4 irons and tie tight.  Once at the course, off they come and into the bag till game over.  My other issue is that with my 'sunday' bag, just a practice bag with a kinda flimsy top covering, the irons press hard and have known to break thru the  fabric.  My new covers will prevent that from  happening. 

And for the really cheap charlies out there: if no driver head cover, can use a long athletic sock, think soccer, to cover head till help arrives. Lots of colors available. 

post #121 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post

They don't use them because they don't pay for anything. I pay for mine and like them without the dings.....which makes me a dweeb by the way


X2

post #122 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanrjackson View Post

I'm a dweeb too...because I use iron covers. I guess I hate the noise when the clubs hit together lol


X3

post #123 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDown View Post

I use iron head covers. I find it laughable that some are saying "I wouldn't be got dead with 'em" or "it says you suck at golf if you use them".

Are you serious? I like the reduced chatter when I'm walking the course, and I don't mind at all that they're a semblance of protection.

Golf snobbery at it's finest.


X4

post #124 of 180

I have been using iron covers because I hate the damn clanging sound when riding around on a bumpy cart path.  What I do find comical is somebody saying your a dweeb for using them and you look over at their bag and they have a Yoda, Chewbacca, or Stewie, etc. headcovers.  WTF!   

post #125 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post

Wow. I've never thought to judge people on weather they have Iron covers and ball retrievers. I Golf with two guys whom both have Iron covers. One's a scratch handicap and the other is a 6. I don't see them scuffing it across the course or shanking it into the water.
Huh, I guess I need to worry about what others think I'm thinking of them. Other wise they should feel meaningless.

Now, I know my next X-Mas gift to all my Golfing buddies.......HEAD COVERS!

Iron covers yes, ball retriever oh hail No!

post #126 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
 

... And the thread is back.

 

I was a fan of iron covers. Used them for a long time and still have them on my clubs now. With that said, my clubs have some rust and look just as bad as my previous set of irons in which no iron covers were used. I'm getting a new set of irons this spring, and won't be using covers. The rust issue alone makes them not worth it. I dry my clubs off, but if the cover gets wet on a damp morning and you don't remember to leave it off, your clubs will rust as a result. IMO that looks worse than some light dings. A person who is very particular and spends alot of time cleaning each club can keep their irons looking very nice by using covers, but if you aren't willing to put in that time & hassle then they can have an adverse effect.

 

I disagree with the "only hackers use iron covers" theory though. I know people that use iron covers that can beat me, and I don't consider myself a hacker.

X5

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › How come Pros do not use iron covers or...