or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › How come Pros do not use iron covers or...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How come Pros do not use iron covers or... - Page 3

post #37 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

the pros dont use em cause their clubs are free...they dont care if they have to be replaced...

im gonna get iron covers they look so sexy....





lollll just kidding i would kill myself if i used those.
post #38 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by pshizz View Post
What says, "I suck at golf" more than iron covers and a ball retriever?
My answer is: A high handicap.
post #39 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

up until about year ago, i was your stereotypical metalhead - hair halfway down my back, more often than not wearing black shirt and pants, and pulling up to the course with opeth or pantera blasting out of my car, and then lugging out my set with my iron club covers and my ball retriever and my swiss army golf pocket knife thingamajig. did the other golfers look at me cross? sure did. better question would be, did i care? not a bit.

i eventually gave up the long hair and the black clothes, but if the only reason being given for me to give up the iron covers is i look like a dweeb, well... i don't care. :P

that being said, i'm not specifically attached to my club covers. i've just had them for like 2 years now and i'm used to them being there. when the day comes that i've lost enough of them (i'm already missing my 5, 7, and PW covers) that i may as well just go ahead and buy another set or get rid of the ones that are left... i'll probably do the latter.

the ball retriever and pocket knife are staying, though. in reference to someone earlier saying "nothing says high-handicapper like (one or all of the above mentioned items)," i have to respond with "my scorecard doesn't know what i'm carrying." i shot 82 last weekend, which is certainly not a low handicap, but it's not terrible either, eh? the card isn't going to automatically add strokes to my score if i repaired a divot on the green with my little multi-purpose knife. and i don't think many people would begrudge me for wanting to get my ball back after i hit a pulled shot into a creek that runs the length of the fairway. perfectly good ball, after all. i'm working on a budget here, need to hang onto those as long as i can.
post #40 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by mirv View Post
up until about year ago, i was your stereotypical metalhead - hair halfway down my back, more often than not wearing black shirt and pants, and pulling up to the course with opeth or pantera blasting out of my car, and then lugging out my set with my iron club covers and my ball retriever and my swiss army golf pocket knife thingamajig. did the other golfers look at me cross? sure did. better question would be, did i care? not a bit.

i eventually gave up the long hair and the black clothes, but if the only reason being given for me to give up the iron covers is i look like a dweeb, well... i don't care. :P

that being said, i'm not specifically attached to my club covers. i've just had them for like 2 years now and i'm used to them being there. when the day comes that i've lost enough of them (i'm already missing my 5, 7, and PW covers) that i may as well just go ahead and buy another set or get rid of the ones that are left... i'll probably do the latter.

the ball retriever and pocket knife are staying, though. in reference to someone earlier saying "nothing says high-handicapper like (one or all of the above mentioned items)," i have to respond with "my scorecard doesn't know what i'm carrying." i shot 82 last weekend, which is certainly not a low handicap, but it's not terrible either, eh? the card isn't going to automatically add strokes to my score if i repaired a divot on the green with my little multi-purpose knife. and i don't think many people would begrudge me for wanting to get my ball back after i hit a pulled shot into a creek that runs the length of the fairway. perfectly good ball, after all. i'm working on a budget here, need to hang onto those as long as i can.
I carry a ball retriever too.... but in my defense it is only used when necessary to recover my ball, or that of one of my playing companions. I'm not a ball hawker because I'm too picky about the balls I use. That's my only concession to dweebiness...
post #41 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

i have a ball retreiver... but i never bring it with me while i play... i use it when i work and the course is empty... too boring sitting around the clubhouse waiting for ppl to show up on a crappy day
post #42 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

I use iron head covers. I find it laughable that some are saying "I wouldn't be got dead with 'em" or "it says you suck at golf if you use them".

Are you serious? I like the reduced chatter when I'm walking the course, and I don't mind at all that they're a semblance of protection.

Golf snobbery at it's finest.
post #43 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

You may as well ask why pros don't have 2 pineapples in their golf bag. They don't want or need them.
Pros are interested in playing golf, not protecting golf clubs from scratches and dings which have no effect on playability.
The only reason I can see for iron covers is if you are a club ho who chops and changes all the time and want to maintain a bit of resale value.
post #44 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
The only reason I can see for iron covers is if you are a club ho who chops and changes all the time and want to maintain a bit of resale value.
How did you not pick up the reason of removing clatter?
post #45 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

let's face it -- we're on the internet posting on a freaking GOLF FORUM.

And we're presumably golfers.

We're all dweebs.
post #46 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

I have iron covers and a retriever. It's called value. There are always simpletons in Las Vegas who show up in the sportsbooks and dismiss value. They are the types who think they can give -6.5 at tipoff on a basketball game that was -4.5 two days ago. It's their side and therefore it's magical, destined to win. Six months later they leave town, broke on a bus.

Irons simply aren't worth as much when they've been smacked around. I wish I had learned that decades earlier. Of course, it wasn't necessary to know it before ebay existed. I have one Hogan set I've protected with iron covers and another older set with bag chatter. The cosmetics and therefore the value could not be more divergent. Recently I've been looking at options like The Iron Factory or Golfworks for restoration of the older clubs. If I had used iron covers from the outset, that variable would have been negated. Old pristine clubs fetch at least twice as much on ebay than a nicked and standard "good condition" set, sometimes 3-4 times as much.

Let's see, a retriever equals free golf balls, either saving mine or essentially stealing someone else's. Hmmm. I wonder who the more pathetic wimp is, the guy with the retriever or the slob who won't look for his ball down the bank of the water or barely into the woods? ROFL.
post #47 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

This thread is hilarious. My 2 cents...

If I see somebody with iron covers or a ball retriever (even more so for the ball retriever) I immediately lose respect for them. I also assume they are pretty darn bad. Sure there are exceptions but these people are going to have to work even harder to change my mind.

Furthermore, for the life of me I cannot figure out why anybody would want those. I play forged irons and they look great. Any chatter can be removed by strategically positioning your golf towel among your clubheads.

I guess I might be able to understand iron covers if you are taking a cart. However if you are taking a cart on a walkable course you better have a damn good reason otherwise you can also lose my respect that way.
post #48 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

I have heard from a reliable source that Tour Pros do use head covers, you just can’t see them because they’re invisible – Pros always get the very best in golfing technology.
post #49 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by buckman821 View Post
This thread is hilarious. My 2 cents...

If I see somebody with iron covers or a ball retriever (even more so for the ball retriever) I immediately lose respect for them. I also assume they are pretty darn bad. Sure there are exceptions but these people are going to have to work even harder to change my mind.

Furthermore, for the life of me I cannot figure out why anybody would want those. I play forged irons and they look great. Any chatter can be removed by strategically positioning your golf towel among your clubheads.

I guess I might be able to understand iron covers if you are taking a cart. However if you are taking a cart on a walkable course you better have a damn good reason otherwise you can also lose my respect that way.
You couldn't possibly think that anybody would care if they had lost your respect over that or work to change your mind, could you?
post #50 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

I don't give a crap what others think. Beating someone who judge me by my equipment gives me even greater pleasure. I normally don't care how others play, I focus entirely on my own game and my own results. But should I encounter someone as narrow-minded and ridiculous as f.i. buckman821 here, I will just scuff and walk away.

And for the record, I carry a towel to clean my clubs and ball, not to entangle it around my clubs.
post #51 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by DiverDown View Post
You couldn't possibly think that anybody would care if they had lost your respect over that or work to change your mind, could you?
i don't know about you, but i reckon from here on out, i'm going to take the covers off my irons, get rid of my ball retriever, set my bag up next to the clubhouse door and just stand there next to it for a couple of hours, basking in the immediate respect i gain from everyone who walks past. they'll be like "mister, i've never seen you play, but judging from the fact that you don't have iron covers or a ball retriever, i'm going to bet you're pretty damn good. can i get an autograph? maybe play a round with you?"

and i'll have to tell them, sorry. i'm much too busy looking like a golfer to actually be one.
post #52 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I don't give a crap what others think. Beating someone who judge me by my equipment gives me even greater pleasure. I normally don't care how others play, I focus entirely on my own game and my own results. But should I encounter someone as narrow-minded and ridiculous as f.i. buckman821 here, I will just scuff and walk away.

And for the record, I carry a towel to clean my clubs and ball, not to entangle it around my clubs.
BAHAHA. I think the word you meant is SCOFF. However you were correct in saying "scuff" Because that is what people with iron covers generally do - Scuff it around the course.

In all seriousness though, dude, chill out. I've never called anybody out for having iron covers. However, if anybody made me wait while I watched them fish balls out of the pond they would most certainly get an earful.
post #53 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Wow, you found a typo, this must be the highlight of your day. I can also see you are engaging in reductio ad absurdum, tells me you've got nothing more useful to type.

mirv: Great post, I'll put it in my signature.
post #54 of 118

Re: How come Pros do not use iron covers or...

Originally Posted by buckman821 View Post
BAHAHA. I think the word you meant is SCOFF. However you were correct in saying "scuff" Because that is what people with iron covers generally do - Scuff it around the course.
Wow, man. You cannot be that small-minded. I mean...... I guess you can, but it's surprising.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › How come Pros do not use iron covers or...