or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Which discontinued balls do you miss the most? which do you use now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which discontinued balls do you miss the most? which do you use now? - Page 4

post #55 of 77

I miss my nike tour D.....     a4_sad.gif

post #56 of 77

Penfolds

post #57 of 77

I don't miss any of them.

 

There's a reason that all the old "great" balls aren't around any more.  While they were good in their day, they suck by comparison to what we have available to us now.

post #58 of 77

I actually miss the Wilson Staff balls.  The ones from 15-20 years ago that were "Titanium Distance". At the time, they felt good and I liked them a lot.   Every once in a great while I find one, on the course, and play it for a few holes.   I think I thought they were something special when I was a kid because they used to always use them at the "Hit the green, get a pack of balls" where you would bet $5 against hitting the green.

post #59 of 77

I have a shag bag full of balls from the 70's/80's (from the ravine on the course I played in Jr high/high school) and

Reading this thread, I had nearly all of these listed at one time or another.  pretty fun.  What were those that came in the triangular shaped box?

 

here's a couple:

(I still see some of these in the ranges at times (all dried out and yellow, etc))

 

The Hot One (labeled as "Robinhood"s - illegal as they flew too far - though you never found out because if you tried to hit it you'd always swing too hard - they were definitely smaller than standard)

Golden Bears - with the outline of a bear on it, of course

Plus Six (hexagonal dimples - I hit the last one into the woods a month ago and this weekend someone came up and put it on the airport counter saying they found it while 4 wheeling....)

 

tons more with weird and wacky names and concepts - I'll check the old shag bag and see if there are others that are unique or memorable.

The "old" shag bag has worn out/old golf balls I hit into the woods.  The 'new' shag bag is pretty much full after this season of like new Titleists, Callaways, and Nikes.

 

 

Who remembers breaking them open and finding a rubber band ball?  not the cores from today?

post #60 of 77

The Bridgestone B330-RX's are not the same ball that they were in 2011. They changed the dimpling significantly last season and I tried to stick with it, but eventually came to the conclusion that they have much more spin off the tee and won't go as far. They also have more sidepin than the 2011 ball. Don't know why they had to change a good thing. I now use the ProV1x.

post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

I have a shag bag full of balls from the 70's/80's (from the ravine on the course I played in Jr high/high school) and

Reading this thread, I had nearly all of these listed at one time or another.  pretty fun.  What were those that came in the triangular shaped box?

 

here's a couple:

(I still see some of these in the ranges at times (all dried out and yellow, etc))

 

The Hot One (labeled as "Robinhood"s - illegal as they flew too far - though you never found out because if you tried to hit it you'd always swing too hard - they were definitely smaller than standard)

Golden Bears - with the outline of a bear on it, of course

Plus Six (hexagonal dimples - I hit the last one into the woods a month ago and this weekend someone came up and put it on the airport counter saying they found it while 4 wheeling....)

 

tons more with weird and wacky names and concepts - I'll check the old shag bag and see if there are others that are unique or memorable.

The "old" shag bag has worn out/old golf balls I hit into the woods.  The 'new' shag bag is pretty much full after this season of like new Titleists, Callaways, and Nikes.

 

 

Who remembers breaking them open and finding a rubber band ball?  not the cores from today?

Lol Robinhood, we used to scour the creek along the course I lived on looking for those back in the day. I doubt anyone that played golf back then could forget the cut up balls with bands hanging out. Today's range balls are a pleasure to hit compared to what they put out then. We didn't know any better because it was the norm. I remember hearing the balls make that buzzing sound as the flew anywhere but the intended direction if they had wings. The trash cans on the course would always have cut up balls in them. I swear they picked those for the range.

post #62 of 77

Titleist professional 90

post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

What were those that came in the triangular shaped box?

 

It was the "Molitor" ball.  Mid 70's?

I found a few others with square dimples - really old too.

post #64 of 77

The original Maxfli Revolution, was as good or better than Pro VI.

 

Srixon Z Star and would you believe it... Wilson Staff Zip?

post #65 of 77

The Slazenger from the '90's that was supposed to "self-correct". Never did for me.

post #66 of 77

Titleist Tour Balata 90

 

Callaway HX Tour 56

post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

Titleist Tour Balata 90

 

Callaway HX Tour 56

Yeah, I kinda miss he Balata 90 too. You could definitely work that ball.  Loved the spin.  But, nowhere near the distance of the ProV1 or ProV1x.

post #68 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

Titleist Tour Balata 90

 

Callaway HX Tour 56

Yeah, I kinda miss he Balata 90 too. You could definitely work that ball.  Loved the spin.  But, nowhere near the distance of the ProV1 or ProV1x.

 

Yeah, definitely not a long ball. And they would start to roll like eggs after a few holes.

post #69 of 77

I kinda miss the Nike Power Distance High's.  I still dabble in the PD Softs every now and again, but for the most part I either use Titleist DT Solo's (in yellow) or Bridgestone e6 (in Optic Orange).  I don't know as to if I'll ever regularly use a white ball again, my eyesight sucks and I was amazed at how easy it was to keep track of the yellow or orange balls in the air and spot them in the rough.  I don't really use any other kind of ball though.  I use the e6's when I need a little big of a straighter flight and I use the DT Solo when I want a softer feel.  To me, there's a very noticeable difference between the two

post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Yeah, definitely not a long ball. And they would start to roll like eggs after a few holes.

Always remember them being next to impossible to keep under a headwind, anything more than 10mph and the ball would just balloon.. Still has to be my favourite ball of all time though, felt like pure butter off the blade.

post #71 of 77
post #72 of 77

Pinnacle Performance in late 1990s, and the Maxfli SX in early 2000s. Still have a shag bag that's more than half SX. About 2010, I used the Slazenger RDX Tour (only one in the family that spun) - it also died out. All three balls were equivalent to today's under $20 midspin balls.

 

For past three years, I've used the TopFlite Gamer.V2. A recent ballfitting by Bridgestone suggests I switch to their e6.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Which discontinued balls do you miss the most? which do you use now?