or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › How far do you hit your clubs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How far do you hit your clubs? - Page 29

post #505 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Really? Surprising. Thanks.

New technology and better quality materials I guess. 

post #506 of 560

I need to revise my distances.  Made some real Progress.

 

Driver:   Old number 260 peeling hard right or left may be in play.

             New Number: 240 High Draw to the middle.

 

3-Iron  Old number 210 certainly not on the green possibly not in play

          New Number 190-195 on line or close to it  great chance at being on the green

 

4-iron Old number 190-195 may be near the green, may be in play

         New Number 180-185 on line or close to it good chance of being on the green

 

5-Iron  Old number 180-195 if I really get after it I can put one out 200 once in a while.  Tend to over draw this one.

          New number 165-175 baby draw, lands soft on the green maybe the fringe

 

6-Iron Old number 165-170 kind of consistent, may thin one once in a while hope there in nothing to carry

         New Number 155 baby draw lands soft I have a pretty good feeling it is going where I want, high confidence.

 

7-Iron Old number 150-155 reasonably accurate may over cook it and push or over draw it.

          New number 145, excited to get this club in my hand more of a wedge feeling then an iron.

 

8-Iron Old number 145 pretty accurate, I should be able to drop it where I want but doesn't always listen to me.

         New number 135, again excited to get this club in my hand, picking where on the green to land it not hoping to hit the green.

 

9-Iron  Old number 135  same as the 8 works most of the time

          New number, 120, its a wedge love to hit it

 

PW     Old number 125, high flight I am hitting the green somewhere

          New number 80-115, a scalpel, very rare if  I miss the green, I am pin seeking

 

52 degree Old number 110 high ball flight hope it is not windy

               New number Low checking ball from 50 in and low checking chips around the green

 

56 degree Old number 70 yards or less, never swing it full, can pick my spots

                New number same

 

60 degree Old number: none new club for me

                New number 30 yards and in soft high touch shot.

 

Old score: 94-104 very frustrating

New Score 82-92 very exciting

 

What's the change?  I swing what feels like 3/4 and club up.  When I look at video of my 3/4 swing it is really a full swing.  My full swing is "not within myself".  My lag and release improved greatly this year.  I need to move the start of my release 4-6 inches further forward and get my hip turn imitated a fraction sooner.  I can do this once in a while and when I do my 3/4 swing goes a club or a club and a half further but it will take a while to make that a consistent thing.  That is my winter project.

post #507 of 560

I hit my clubs crappy.

post #508 of 560

Anyone have bad experiences with PGA Superstore or Golfsmith when checking distances? I was in there today and it says I was hitting my 4 iron 160 yards with carry and my driver 250. Yesterday I played 9 and hit two drives over 300 yards with an OEM non-name brand club I've had for 2 years, and today I was demoing a TaylorMade 2.0 Burner and Cleveland 270.

 

I want to buy new clubs, but I don;t know where to go for a legitimate fitting because the readings I get with these fitters does not translate to how far I hit my clubs on the course. I air mailed two 5 irons yesterday over a 195 yard pin to theback fringe, and this thing says I'm hitting a 4-iron 150, and I'm not talking 3/4 swings that I slice - I mean my best full swing right down the middle. How can they be so different? Maybe 10 yards or so, but I hit my 9iron 150 on the course and the range??!? I really don't know what to believe as far as spin rate readings, and swing speed, launch angle in these places any longer. 

post #509 of 560

How are you measuring your distances for each club on the course?  I've heard the Golfsmith sims can be off, but I heard they would sometimes over-estimate distances, not under-estimate.  

 

To be clear, I have no personal experience with them.

post #510 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

How are you measuring your distances for each club on the course?  I've heard the Golfsmith sims can be off, but I heard they would sometimes over-estimate distances, not under-estimate.  

 

To be clear, I have no personal experience with them.

 

You can change all kinds of variables. I hit on one a while back that some kids had been messing with. I knew something was wrong when I hit the first 6 iron 230.

post #511 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

I knew something was wrong when I hit the first 6 iron 230.

 

Nothing wrong with that at all.  So says the SIM, so it must be.  Go put it in the "club averages" thread, STAT!

post #512 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

How are you measuring your distances for each club on the course?  I've heard the Golfsmith sims can be off, but I heard they would sometimes over-estimate distances, not under-estimate.  

 

To be clear, I have no personal experience with them.

 

I have spent a lot of time on the range, and just get estimates based upon the yardage markers. Sometimes I will ask a guy next to me in a bay who has a rangefinder to mark a distance, and it appears that my driving range is pretty accurate. I also have played enough rounds with this same set of clubs to know what my distances are. When I'm playing well, I usually hit driver-wedge on a straight 375-400 yard par 4 no matter what course I play (though I've only played about10 courses in my life). Just last week I played 4 par 5 holes of around 500-525 yards in one round and reached 3 of them in 2, even though my drives were not that well struck (the 3-wood approaches though, oh boy!). I also took lessons for a while and the pro was telling me what he thought my distances were.

 

In other words, it's only when I go to get fit that things look weird. I've also heard that Golfsmith over-estimates distances, but I'm telling you I was murdering these shots today and the thing said my swing speed was 103 and the ball was carrying 230 and going 250. I had my swing speed measured by some mom-and-pop shop that sells manufactured non-name brand clubs tell me my swing speed with driver is 110-114, and I tend to believe that from reading alot recently about speed vs. distance/smash factor etc. If I'm going to drop $1200 on a set of irons and a new driver/3 wood (which isn;t alot for new models), I want to know I'm getting what I pay for. I'll probably just buy some more OEM clubs for 1/3 of the price and go to Scottsdale when I really learn how to play this game in a few years. There's a few places there that cost $1000 JUST for the fitting, but they are incredible. 

post #513 of 560
The two simulators I have messed with says with 6 iron I carry 180 and 20 more yards for roll out. I have seen them over estimate roll out but carry was fairly accurate.
post #514 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

You can change all kinds of variables. I hit on one a while back that some kids had been messing with. I knew something was wrong when I hit the first 6 iron 230.

I know that. I just wish they used the right variables! Otherwise, what the heck is the point? 

post #515 of 560
I know they over estimate distances so u think u are hitting it farther so u will buy the club, but in your case, maybe the simulator was malfunctioning or u were having an off day??
post #516 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post

I know they over estimate distances so u think u are hitting it farther so u will buy the club, but in your case, maybe the simulator was malfunctioning or u were having an off day??

 

If I'm hitting my 6 irons 230 on an off day, Tiger and Phil wouldn't have anything on me. 

 

It wasn't a malfunction. Like I said, you can change all kinds of variables on the sims. I think this particular one had the altitude set for Mt. Everest Country Club.

post #517 of 560

I'm gonna be real here. Dang, some guys hit the dimples off 'dem balls! 

 

My best estimate, based on flagged distances, no range finder:

 

Driver: 230-240

2 Hybrid: 215-225

3 Hybrid: 195-210

4 Hybrid: 175-200

5 iron: 163-170

6 iron: 153-160

7 iron: 143-150

8 iron: 130-140

9 iron: 120-127

45* PW: 105-110

50* GW: 85-100

55* SW: 70-80

60* LW: 55-65

 

This is smooth controlled swing for accuracy, not distance. If I turn my hips through faster, I get more yardage. But more isn't always better in my case... I'm 56 yrs old with a slower swing speed, regular flex shafts. I use Nike Power Distance Soft for a ball. That should tell you something right there. 

 

If I tried to hit as far as some of the guys, oh heck, FORE! FORE! FORE! LOOK OUT! DUCK! SORRY DUDE!

post #518 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

I need to revise my distances.  Made some real Progress.

 

Driver:   Old number 260 peeling hard right or left may be in play.

             New Number: 240 High Draw to the middle.

 

3-Iron  Old number 210 certainly not on the green possibly not in play

          New Number 190-195 on line or close to it  great chance at being on the green

 

4-iron Old number 190-195 may be near the green, may be in play

         New Number 180-185 on line or close to it good chance of being on the green

 

5-Iron  Old number 180-195 if I really get after it I can put one out 200 once in a while.  Tend to over draw this one.

          New number 165-175 baby draw, lands soft on the green maybe the fringe

 

6-Iron Old number 165-170 kind of consistent, may thin one once in a while hope there in nothing to carry

         New Number 155 baby draw lands soft I have a pretty good feeling it is going where I want, high confidence.

 

7-Iron Old number 150-155 reasonably accurate may over cook it and push or over draw it.

          New number 145, excited to get this club in my hand more of a wedge feeling then an iron.

 

8-Iron Old number 145 pretty accurate, I should be able to drop it where I want but doesn't always listen to me.

         New number 135, again excited to get this club in my hand, picking where on the green to land it not hoping to hit the green.

 

9-Iron  Old number 135  same as the 8 works most of the time

          New number, 120, its a wedge love to hit it

 

PW     Old number 125, high flight I am hitting the green somewhere

          New number 80-115, a scalpel, very rare if  I miss the green, I am pin seeking

 

52 degree Old number 110 high ball flight hope it is not windy

               New number Low checking ball from 50 in and low checking chips around the green

 

56 degree Old number 70 yards or less, never swing it full, can pick my spots

                New number same

 

60 degree Old number: none new club for me

                New number 30 yards and in soft high touch shot.

 

Old score: 94-104 very frustrating

New Score 82-92 very exciting

 

What's the change?  I swing what feels like 3/4 and club up.  When I look at video of my 3/4 swing it is really a full swing.  My full swing is "not within myself".  My lag and release improved greatly this year.  I need to move the start of my release 4-6 inches further forward and get my hip turn imitated a fraction sooner.  I can do this once in a while and when I do my 3/4 swing goes a club or a club and a half further but it will take a while to make that a consistent thing.  That is my winter project.

 

Great post. I resemble this completely! Better consistency, keep it in the short stuff, work the short game. I had one of those crappy evenings a couple days ago. Went to a par 3 to work on the short game... I couldn't get off the tee with my irons for nothing! Chipping and putting were on! Tee...couldn't hit the green with a mortar shell... I'm gonna go figure that out this evening. I haven't had a poor iron striking day like that in quite a while. Wouldn't you know, my wife went with me just to get out of the house for some exercise, and she witnessed my new $700.00 irons go to H##@ in a handbag. Really helped justified my spent cash! LOL  Oh well, she didn't say it, but I know what she was thinking... d2_doh.gif

post #519 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

If I'm hitting my 6 irons 230 on an off day, Tiger and Phil wouldn't have anything on me. 

It wasn't a malfunction. Like I said, you can change all kinds of variables on the sims. I think this particular one had the altitude set for Mt. Everest Country Club.

Was directed to mmoan, not you. Should have quoted and replied to him, sorry for the confusion
post #520 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post

Anyone have bad experiences with PGA Superstore or Golfsmith when checking distances? I was in there today and it says I was hitting my 4 iron 160 yards with carry and my driver 250. Yesterday I played 9 and hit two drives over 300 yards with an OEM non-name brand club I've had for 2 years, and today I was demoing a TaylorMade 2.0 Burner and Cleveland 270.

I want to buy new clubs, but I don;t know where to go for a legitimate fitting because the readings I get with these fitters does not translate to how far I hit my clubs on the course. I air mailed two 5 irons yesterday over a 195 yard pin to theback fringe, and this thing says I'm hitting a 4-iron 150, and I'm not talking 3/4 swings that I slice - I mean my best full swing right down the middle. How can they be so different? Maybe 10 yards or so, but I hit my 9iron 150 on the course and the range??!? I really don't know what to believe as far as spin rate readings, and swing speed, launch angle in these places any longer. 

The monitors they use in golfsmith are pretty good. Any yahoo can walk up and change the temperature and altitude. Why don't you bring in your current clubs (a couple anyway) to compare. Then it is relative.
post #521 of 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post

Never said anything about average. The forum is titled "how far do you hit your clubs?" I know what an average is. I took 7th grade math. Average to me is a wasted metric anyway when it comes to measuring your club distances. If you hit a 7 iron well, it should be relatively the same distance every time anyway.

 

Well, of course this thread is about averages. In the movie 'Tin Cup' Don Johnson's character hits his 7 iron down the street and I'm guessing it went a good ways. If someone asked him how far he hit his 7 iron, is that shot the one he's going to point to and say 'I hit my 7 iron 300 yards'? No.......... And as far as hitting a club well; even blind hogs find acorns. Do you hit it well often enough to call that your stock shot yardage?
post #522 of 560
Driver: 275
3wood: 245
17* Hybrid: 230
20* Hybrid: 215
4 iron: 200
5 iron: 185
6 iron: 175
7 iron: 165
8 iron: 155
9 iron: 145
PW: 135 (full)
53* wedge: 110 (full)
58* wedge: 80 (full)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › How far do you hit your clubs?