or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Clubs too short for my height?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clubs too short for my height?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm 6'2 and after watching others play I feel as though I have to bend my knees quite a bit more than them so that I don't top the ball. It seems like the pros and most others are mostly standing when they hit the ball (with a slight bend at the knees), but when I get in my stance with my back straight and not choking on the grip, I have to flex my knees a lot more than what I've seen (or so it seems). My 5 iron is just over 37" from the end of grip to the sole, and my 9 iron is almost 36". When standing (and with the club completely vertical) the top of the grip is 6-7" below my hip bone. Is this a normal fitting? I'm not looking to replace my clubs, I'm mostly just curious.
post #2 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

I am 6'6" and have all of my irons lengthened by 1.5 inches. I went and got fitted, and they measure where your hands hang naturally by your sides to determine if you should have them lengthened and by how much -

a lot of taller guys I know, and a few guys on tour who are taller don't use lengthened clubs. Stewart Cink is one of them, although he is experimenting with getting longer wedges (just .25 inches though)

I feel more comfortable with them, and I like the fact that the longer clubs help me exploit my height to create more club head speed. It also means less control though. I had a driver made with 1.5 extra inches to match my irons, and after a few months had it cut back down to standard size.

go into a golf galaxy or similar store and asked them to measure you out - I bet that there are even charts online that can tell you what you need if you have someone at home measure for you -

If you decide to get longer clubs, you don't need to buy a new set or new shafts, they can "plug" you existing clubs, which is what I had done initially until I splurged on my current clubs
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

@ BigBoy
Thanks for the response (I wish there was a thumbs up smiley)
post #4 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Ed, are you a 30+ handicap? I only ask because I'm 6'2" as well and I swore the same thing when I began about two yrs ago. I got my 1st set of clubs new last summer - with 1/2" extra height and still had occasional issues. This summer, I've practiced alot more and have had a few lessons and it's no issue at all. I think - like Cink - I could've used normal length clubs and have been exactly where I'm at. Most - prolly all - thin shots for me are due to a swing flaw (picked head up to see ball etc) rather than the club being too short. Just a thought. hopefully, you're getting full and comprehensive measurement (club length, ideal lie, grip-size, etc) as part of this process.

Originally Posted by Ed_Bighead View Post
I'm 6'2 and after watching others play I feel as though I have to bend my knees quite a bit more than them so that I don't top the ball. It seems like the pros and most others are mostly standing when they hit the ball (with a slight bend at the knees), but when I get in my stance with my back straight and not choking on the grip, I have to flex my knees a lot more than what I've seen (or so it seems). My 5 iron is just over 37" from the end of grip to the sole, and my 9 iron is almost 36". When standing (and with the club completely vertical) the top of the grip is 6-7" below my hip bone. Is this a normal fitting? I'm not looking to replace my clubs, I'm mostly just curious.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Well, the handicap I list is only sort of accurate. I started playing last July, and my level of play from last year to this is drastically better. My scores for this year are:
69*, 56*, 117, 56*, 57*, 103, 91 (out of 67 on another course), and 101. I've recently changed my grip to an overlap and worked on somethings and have shot a 48* and a 52*. During the last round I could probably shot low 40s but with the new grip came new blisters and after the 3rd hole it hurt to play so my score suffered. It's been almost 2 weeks since the last game (conflicts with work) but I honestly think I'm capable of shooting mostly pars and bogeys with a rare double bogey; I can usually get to the green in 2-3 strokes for par 4s and 3-4 for par 5s. I just need to be consistent with my long irons. That being said if I had the time to play a few rounds of 18 I bet I could play around 90-100; that would probably make my handicap around 24.

I'll agree with you that thin shots are a result of lifting my head or extending my legs in an effort to gain power, but as I've been working on remaining low, I'm rarely hitting thin shots. My biggest problem is hitting a bad drive not on the fairway coupled with being incapable of hitting most shots with a 4-6 iron.

I don't plan on altering my clubs, I was only curious as to what people thought on the topic.
post #6 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

I'm 6'2" and my 5 iron is 38 1/4" long. That being said, the length of your arms will tell the tale. Get fit. If the rest of your set is consistent, you've got some short clubs and costing yourself distance and may be creating or grooving swing flaws due to the length of your clubs. Get it checked.

I hope you shoot in the low 40s, also, but from your scores, you've got a lot more to work on than just consistent long irons. Getting the right clubs is the first step, so you can enjoy practicing and meeting whatever goals you set for yourself.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

From what people have said it seems like I ought to at least look into getting them fit - any idea what the cost would be to get them adjusted?
post #8 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

I wish I had the money to have my clubs re-shafted to my height...6'4" and play standard club length...I have to bend over quite a bit (my legs are pretty normal) and feel goofy. I think that's gonna be my next 'club upgrade'
post #9 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Without knowing more, seeing you or watching you hit, sounds like the clubs are too short for you. A standard 5-iron is usually 38" and a 9-iron is usually 36". A fitting session with impact tape will help sort out the question. Don't be surprised if you need to add 1".

Club lengthening varies, should cost about $5 or so per club and add the price of new grips if they can't save them; no reason to be reshafted unless you want/need new shafts or have to go more than 2".

Just my own opinion of course.
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Where would I go to get them adjusted?
post #11 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Originally Posted by paperclip View Post
Without knowing more, seeing you or watching you hit, sounds like the clubs are too short for you. A standard 5-iron is usually 38" and a 9-iron is usually 36". A fitting session with impact tape will help sort out the question. Don't be surprised if you need to add 1".

Club lengthening varies, should cost about $5 or so per club and add the price of new grips if they can't save them; no reason to be reshafted unless you want/need new shafts or have to go more than 2".

Just my own opinion of course.

really? i didn't know you could add length (im guessing it's probably under the grip where length is added) without re-shafting. neat.

i'll have to go get fitted when I get some time :)
post #12 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

The more important aspect is lie angle. Longer shafts can certainly help, but lie angle is so much more important. You want the entire sole of the club scraping the ground, not the heel or the toe of the club head.

I'm 6'2" as well, and I'm using stock, off the shelf clubs as well, but it terrifies me because I dont want to develop terrible swing habits because I'm making up for the difference I need in lie and length. I'm currently saving some $ for a fitted Nike VR mix set.

Your height is important, but the number your club fitter should be looking for is the distance from your knuckles (or wrists, people measure it both ways) to the ground. I've gotta run right now, but I have some links I'll post on this later tonight.
post #13 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Originally Posted by aschaefer View Post
really? i didn't know you could add length (im guessing it's probably under the grip where length is added) without re-shafting. neat.

i'll have to go get fitted when I get some time :)
Yes, the grip is removed, an extension is glued into the end of the shaft and then the grip is reinstalled. Takes 24 hours to do and not that expensive at all.

ps - you can go roughly +2" before you start to materially affect the frequency properties of the shaft.
post #14 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie View Post
The more important aspect is lie angle. Longer shafts can certainly help, but lie angle is so much more important. You want the entire sole of the club scraping the ground, not the heel or the toe of the club head.

I'm 6'2" as well, and I'm using stock, off the shelf clubs as well, but it terrifies me because I dont want to develop terrible swing habits because I'm making up for the difference I need in lie and length. I'm currently saving some $ for a fitted Nike VR mix set.

Your height is important, but the number your club fitter should be looking for is the distance from your knuckles (or wrists, people measure it both ways) to the ground. I've gotta run right now, but I have some links I'll post on this later tonight.

True, but I'd like to add some more to your comment if I may. It is important to find the correct length first so that consistent center contact is made on the face; that will stop the "topping" problem caused by excessive knee flex at address. Then the fitter will check for lie angle which doesn't affect a "topping" problem as much as accuracy.

I think if the lie angle is just adjusted upwards with no consideration for adjustment in length, you could end up with a situation where the ball is too close to the body during address and the swing (and the hands are too close as well).

And yes, knuckles to the ground is a good starting point for measurement, but it would be better if length is helped to be determined by actually hitting balls with impact tape on the face, ie a dynamic measurement as opposed to a static measurement. I can tell you that I am 6'3", the "ruler" tells you that I would be at the upper edge of regular length, but after a dynamic fitting, I am actually +1" and 2* up. The difference was night and day; better contact, much tighter dispersion and a huge increase in GIR.

I also would try to have the fitting outdoors so you can see ball flight as opposed to a ruler and 2 shots off a lie board into a net indoors. Hope this helps.
post #15 of 15

Re: Clubs too short for my height?

Any pro shop will get you fitted. Don't let them just say your "X" height and your arms are "X" length so your clubs should be "X" long. They should fit you to your swing. Make sure you stand so that you are comfortable.
When I got my last set of clubs, the pro told me that I stand "tall" but that my swing was solid. He said my clubs needed to be what someone 6'2 might normally play (I am 5'11"). It made a world of difference for me. Way less topping and a much more consistent and comfortable swing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Clubs too short for my height?