or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Driver / 3 wood / 5 wood optimal length
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Driver / 3 wood / 5 wood optimal length - Page 2

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm View Post

That's interesting. Could you explain how "accuracy" is defined when compiling these stats? 10% fewer missing the fairway? 10% less average dispersion around a target line? Worst shot 10% less off-line? What's the metric?

It doesn't matter. 10% via any of those methods can't out-gain 15 yards of distance.

The only way 10% more accuracy could matter is if you could take the 10% of your WORST drives and put them in the fairway. Only then might you have a chance, and it's unrealistic that 90% of your shots would be the same, and your 10% WORST shots would be some of your best.

10% more accuracy is not a lot, and distance is a much bigger advantage, especially since we're not playing in U.S. Open type rough (Pinehurst excluded :D).

Hmm. I get what you're saying.

But as a high handicapper relearning the game, my problem is less distance than inconsistency - and with the driver, that tends to mean inaccuracy.
And the game seems a hell of a lot easier from the fairways - the rough at my home course is fairly penal.

On the other hand, i guess the trade-off isn't strightforward. Decent ball-striking will result in better distance without substantial loss of accuracy, so maybe it is unrealistic to treat them as alternatives.
post #20 of 20

For me optimal is driver 44", though I have another at 43", 3w 42" and 5w 41", all are D0-D0.5. What shaft I use in each one played a part in how I put it together. The optimizing was based on choosing a club I can usually control in certain playing situations, loft was a consideration as well, I want specific launch characteristics and ball flights for each club. Playing length was just part of it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Driver / 3 wood / 5 wood optimal length