or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Best Golf Movie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Golf Movie - Page 3

post #37 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by Ty Haegs View Post
I mentioned it in the first post ;) great movie!
I have to thank you for that one, too.

I ordered A Gentleman's Game on Netflix and just watched it. In fact, I got up a 4:00am for my morning coffee and watched the movie then.

It was a good story that struck a chord or two, especially the father/son relationship that is strengthened on the course.

Bagger Vance and Greatest Game are still my favorite golf movies but this one was enjoyable. The language and subthemes made it totally unsuitable to watch with my son....too bad, there.
post #38 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by Bogey317 View Post
I enjoy all of them, but i havent seen Tip Cup in forever, I may have to go pick it up.
http://www.amazon.com/Tin-Cup-Kevin-.../dp/0790730995

rented it online last night for 2.99
post #39 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

The greatest game ver played was the best movie. One, because it's true, and it has the perfect ending. I like tin cup and happy gilmore as well, but caddyshack, come on guys. It's okay, but it is a really dumb movie.
post #40 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

I had to resurrect this thread. I watched Tin Cup and what a horrible movie IMO. It was on the other night and the wife and I both wanted to switch the channel.
post #41 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by pbillaa View Post
My all time favorite is a gentleman's game, I am surprised nobody has mentioned it.
just watched gentleman's game. it was a good film, but pretty damn depressing.
post #42 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by Lemay427 View Post
I had to resurrect this thread. I watched Tin Cup and what a horrible movie IMO. It was on the other night and the wife and I both wanted to switch the channel.
Yeah totally agree, bit of a stupid movie really. I watched that along with Caddyshack recently and struggled to get to the end of both. Atleast you expect caddyshack to be totally ridiculous so you can bear with it for most of it.
post #43 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Comedy: Happy Gilmore. "That's your home! Are you too good for your home?"

My favorite golf movie by far is The Legend of Bagger Vance.
Favorite quote:
"You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That's ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill."
post #44 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

One of my can't forget golf scenes is from Doctor T and the Women where he (Richard Gere) is raking the sand trap while talking to his (female) golf instructor. He rakes it for the whole scene. No one rakes a bunker that long.
post #45 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by senorchipotle View Post
just watched gentleman's game. it was a good film, but pretty damn depressing.
Maybe it was the commercial breaks every 5 minutes on the Golf Channel but I thought this movie was horrible - sappy, melodramatic, overacted, and horrid writing just to name a few things that rubbed me the wrong way. It reminded me of a very poorly done Lifetime movie, I kept expecting Meredith Baxter Berney to show up and for the kid to announce he was bulemic.

Gary Sinise was OK for the 5 minutes he was on screen though.

As much as I love Caddyshack, Tin Cup is my favorite golf move. Caddyshack is a comedy about golfers whereas Tin Cup truly is a golf movie.
post #46 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Completely agree with the last post about a gentleman's game. I just couldn't get into it and the ending I found very fake, not in a Caddyshack sense, but a convoluted sense.
post #47 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Maybe it was the commercial breaks every 5 minutes on the Golf Channel but I thought this movie was horrible - sappy, melodramatic, overacted, and horrid writing just to name a few things that rubbed me the wrong way. It reminded me of a very poorly done Lifetime movie, I kept expecting Meredith Baxter Berney to show up and for the kid to announce he was bulemic.

Gary Sinise was OK for the 5 minutes he was on screen though.

As much as I love Caddyshack, Tin Cup is my favorite golf move. Caddyshack is a comedy about golfers whereas Tin Cup truly is a golf movie.
I either am not as intelligent as I tell people and didn't get it, or this movie just had nothing to get. I thought that it was terrible. It had WAY too much going on. The focus of the story switched every time the sun set. No story was told from start to finish, each scene gives us only a glimpse of the makings of a great story. Some of the stories are finished by narration, and others not at all. Also, the characters do the same thing. Every person in the movie had a story, and some of them were all excellent stories that deserved time to be told. This movie attempts to tell all of them, in the time they could have told 1 and a 1/2.

My favorite golf movie is still Tin Cup, it follows a predictable plot but it is entertaining to watch weather it is the 1st time I have seen it or the 10th.
post #48 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

I to did not like Gentlemans game, it seemed one minute it was a golf story and the next minute it was a family story, it couldn't make up it mind which plot to follow.

I thought Tin Cup was a great movie, a fun story line that touched on the mentality and humor of golf.

Bagger Vance was another great one for the mental and spiritual aspect of the game.

But for true stories The Greatest Game ever Played and Bobby Jones were both great movies, and Caddyshack was highly overated and is more of an obnoxious movie than it is comedy.
post #49 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Caddyshack. One of those comedies that gets funnier every time you watch it, just because you're anticipating the next great line just around the corner. Naturally, it's best viewed with like-minded (or mindless) buddies.

That's kind of a strange phenomenon, the whole more-you-watch, funnier-it-gets deal. And pretty much exclusive to guys, in my experience.

Cheers,
DoctorK
post #50 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

For me, this is kinda tough because it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. That being said, my picks , , ,

Tied at 1st & 2nd - Legend of Bagger Vance and The Greatest Game Ever Played (Bruce McGill was GREAT as Walter Hagen)
Tied at 3rd & 4th - Tin Cup and Dead Solid Perfect
5th - Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genios
6th - Caddyshack
post #51 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

One can certainly argue the relative artistic merits of the movies mentioned so far, but it is widely held in intellectual circles that Caddyshack has the single finest closing line in cinematic history. So there.

post #52 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
One can certainly argue the relative artistic merits of the movies mentioned so far, but it is widely held in intellectual circles that Caddyshack has the single finest closing line in cinematic history. So there.

Well, it's hard to argue that one . . .
post #53 of 99

Re: Best Golf Movie

I liked Tin Cup, but the golf scenes rang hollow for me. Probably because the venue bore no resemblance to a US Open course, and Don Johnson bore no resemblance to an actual professional golfer. His demeanor, mannerisms... ugh. Made Costner look natural, by comparison.

That said, I'm a big Ron Shelton fan. To me, Bull Durham is the best baseball movie and, frankly, miles better than Tin Cup.

Cheers,
DoctorK
post #54 of 99

Best Golf Films Ever

There are some films that you can watch anytime they are on TV. My favorite golf film of all time has to be The Legend of Bagger Vance. I thought it really captures the essence golf. Even though the great depression was occurring people's spirits would be lifted just by seeing a great golf matchup. It would be amazing to play golf in that time. No Big Bertha drivers and pro v1's. Ha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Best Golf Movie