or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › The Biggest Secret? SLIDE Your Hips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Biggest Secret? SLIDE Your Hips - Page 37

post #649 of 675

Golf is hard. 

post #650 of 675
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkNballs View Post
 

Golf is hard. 

 

That's the first sentence in the first chapter of one of the best golf books ever written… :-)

post #651 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

That's the first sentence in the first chapter of one of the best golf books ever written… :-)

ô--ô

post #652 of 675

Amazing post, thanks for the information. I´m going to start working on it and try to improve my skills on this hard but awesome game. I will ask you methods, exercices, books, and whatever help me to play better... Thanks again from Spain !!! ;-)

post #653 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Off topic but I would check out this video. Camera angle being too low was mentioned,  but I think you could use some more left bend.

 

 

Just wanted to stop back and say I've been working on a steadier head and rotating my shoulders properly like this video goes over and I've combined those two swing thoughts with getting good hip movement (I try to feel as if my hips are moving towards the target before I complete my backswing). It has taken nearly two months but my ball striking has never been as consistent as it is right now. I've played golf for going on 24 years and have never shot under par for 18 holes; until now. Not only have I done it for the first time, but I have done it TWICE in the last 4 weeks. So with that, thank you, Mike!

post #654 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SMURF View Post
 

Just wanted to stop back and say I've been working on a steadier head and rotating my shoulders properly like this video goes over and I've combined those two swing thoughts with getting good hip movement (I try to feel as if my hips are moving towards the target before I complete my backswing). It has taken nearly two months but my ball striking has never been as consistent as it is right now. I've played golf for going on 24 years and have never shot under par for 18 holes; until now. Not only have I done it for the first time, but I have done it TWICE in the last 4 weeks. So with that, thank you, Mike!

 

Glad I could help. Also gotta give @iacas credit for starting this thread and doing the Key #1 video

post #655 of 675

Another great video that puts emphasis on center rotation. Something that when I do think about it on the golf course things go a lot better. 

post #656 of 675
I have a question, this may have been answered already I haven't read the entire thread. With the shorter irons(6,7,8,9) should the hips slide forward less then with the longer clubs(D,3wd,4i)?
post #657 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowcelica View Post

I have a question, this may have been answered already I haven't read the entire thread. With the shorter irons(6,7,8,9) should the hips slide forward less then with the longer clubs(D,3wd,4i)?

 

They do slide a little less with the shorter clubs, mostly due to a more narrow stance but it's not something you need to think about, golf is hard enough.

post #658 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

They do slide a little less with the shorter clubs, mostly due to a more narrow stance but it's not something you need to think about, golf is hard enough.

Well maybe because I'm not used to it yet, but for the longer clubs if I don't focus on sliding through the shot longer then I either hit it fat or hit a push or push with a slight fade.
post #659 of 675

Not that anyone is recommending sliding the hips when putting but that's what i saw yesterday, and very effective it was too. Yes, sliding the hips along the putter line, kind of following the putter path.  As good a putter he was as i have ever played with.  From far and near, all sorts of putts, he dropped them in.  .

 

Nothing sloppy or casual but a controlled and slight movement of the lower body.  Played off 12 HC. 

post #660 of 675

I have a harder time with the longer irons.. My 3 wood I almost dis owned.. lol I can hit it off the tee fine but once it's on the turf I struggle.. 8 iron and down I hit well.

post #661 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

Not that anyone is recommending sliding the hips when putting but that's what i saw yesterday, and very effective it was too. Yes, sliding the hips along the putter line, kind of following the putter path.  As good a putter he was as i have ever played with.  From far and near, all sorts of putts, he dropped them in.  .

Nothing sloppy or casual but a controlled and slight movement of the lower body.  Played off 12 HC. 
I feel like my hips slide when putting. Also when hit flop shots around the greens I tend to slide my hips. I trying to get away from sliding hips in putting as it seems to unreliable An open hip stance and forward press eliminates the hip slide in putting for me
post #662 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post


I feel like my hips slide when putting. Also when hit flop shots around the greens I tend to slide my hips. I trying to get away from sliding hips in putting as it seems to unreliable An open hip stance and forward press eliminates the hip slide in putting for me


That seems like a lot of trouble to eliminate lower body movement. I suspect something else is happening. Try keeping your lower body square, no tilt, no movement, and just rock your shoulders in a relaxed fashion.

 

No need to introduce other compensations...

post #663 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Not that anyone is recommending sliding the hips when putting but that's what i saw yesterday, and very effective it was too. Yes, sliding the hips along the putter line, kind of following the putter path.  As good a putter he was as i have ever played with.  From far and near, all sorts of putts, he dropped them in.  .

 

Nothing sloppy or casual but a controlled and slight movement of the lower body.  Played off 12 HC. 


You always have the outlier ... but there is a reason a solid lower body and square setup is the normal prescription with a rocking or movement of the big muscles (the shoulders).

 

But I think this thread is about sliding the hips on full swing type shots.

post #664 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 


That seems like a lot of trouble to eliminate lower body movement. I suspect something else is happening. Try keeping your lower body square, no tilt, no movement, and just rock your shoulders in a relaxed fashion.

 

No need to introduce other compensations...

it is not much trouble at all, it is a slight slide, it keeps my in rhythm. I dont like lower body square , it does not feel like I can putt toward the hole. I prefer open, everyone has their style.

post #665 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post
 

it is not much trouble at all, it is a slight slide, it keeps my in rhythm. I dont like lower body square , it does not feel like I can putt toward the hole. I prefer open, everyone has their style.


Yes, everyone has a style. If you're Corey Pavin, you can open up the stance. But he is Corey Pavin. You are not.

 

Having said that, you can have a solid lower body without tension. There can be slight imperceptible movement.

 

But if you are sliding your hips and it's noticeable, you've just lowered your probability of being a consistent putter.

 

There is a reason a hip slide is not recommended in putting...

 

But THIS topic is about hip slide with a full swing. If you want, open a thread about putting techniques. But both of us are now thread crapping. So lets keep on the topic of hip slide on full swings.

post #666 of 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

 

 

But THIS topic is about hip slide with a full swing. 

 

Correct :-)

 

Hip slide and putting don't go together, there is no reason for it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › The Biggest Secret? SLIDE Your Hips