or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout - Page 3  

post #37 of 48
Thread Starter 

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
I really don't understand Kenny Perry's popularity. Two big rule problems in a year should make him an outcast on the PGA Tour.
Well, one apparently. He still broke the rule at the Shark Shootout - they just happened to allow it. I still say that's odd, but whatever...

As for the FBR, you'll recall I felt strongly that was a rules violation. And they hadn't waived any rules there.

Originally Posted by MiniMoe View Post
the only ones hard up on the rules are want-to-be pros that think they are better than they really are.
Incorrect.

Originally Posted by MiniMoe View Post
It does not matter. Get a life and have a good time playing the game for what it is... a game.
Ah, but games have rules.

Originally Posted by MiniMoe View Post
AND....YOU CAN ALWAYS STAND BEHIND YOUR PARTNER TO SEE THE LINE OF THE PUTT. It's been that way forever.
No you can't. I have a rules sheet from the last scramble in which I played and it defines where you may tee off from (in case of a mixed team of men and women), how many drives of each player you must use, where to put your ball (within one clublength in the same type of lie), and where you can putt (the same position, as exactly as possible). It also says "all other Rules of Golf remain in effect." That'd include 14-2.

Originally Posted by glebert View Post
Can someone tell me what advantage a player would get from their caddy or partner standing on the line of the putt away from the hole? It seems like a silly rule to me. I can see it being an advantage for a scramble if the partner might be attempting that same putt, but otherwise I think it would be as someone else said, a distraction.
I had to call someone on it (before it happened, so no penalty strokes were given out) in a high school match. His ball marker was a few feet inside his partner's but on the same line. So he would gain the advantage of getting a better read.

The advantage in a scramble is obvious, as you said, and the same as what I encountered: a better read. Lots of players will say "I'm going to start the ball two cups to the left" but then push or pull it from there, which is much easier to see from directly behind.

As for why the caddies can't stand back there? Because they can't. Because the golfer should be responsible for lining himself up. If it were up to me, caddies wouldn't be allowed to stand there once the player had taken up their stance... I don't think the rule goes far enough. As it is now, they can line the player up and step out just in time for them to make the stroke or swing.

Originally Posted by VOX View Post
It was interesting to note that they waived the rule to allow a player to stand behind his partner but Holme's caddy still had to jump out of the way after lining him up.
That's an interesting point, yeah. Force of habit though, and it probably would have done more to harm JB if his caddie stayed than if he just did what he always did.
post #38 of 48
Thread Starter 

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

This backs up what I've continued to say: that the committee shouldn't waive rules.

http://freedrop.wordpress.com/2009/1...ision-30-3f13/
post #39 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
This backs up what I've continued to say: that the committee shouldn't waive rules.

http://freedrop.wordpress.com/2009/1...ision-30-3f13/
While I tend to agree, doesn't the very format of a scramble (which I understand to mean both players play the "better ball" after each pair of strokes) violate the RoG? If so, waiving 14-2 seems like a pretty minor further violation...
post #40 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Scrambles are not a recognised format of golf and therefore do fall under the "rules of golf"..You can do whatever you like as long as its OK with the organisers.
post #41 of 48
Thread Starter 

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by zeg View Post
While I tend to agree, doesn't the very format of a scramble (which I understand to mean both players play the "better ball" after each pair of strokes) violate the RoG? If so, waiving 14-2 seems like a pretty minor further violation...
We already said that, yes.

I still think you should follow as many of the RoG as possible even if the format itself isn't covered in the rules.
post #42 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I still think you should follow as many of the RoG as possible even if the format itself isn't covered in the rules.
As a high handicapper with a poor short game I find it beneficial to play a scramble with a player with a good short game, it improves my short game. We can discuss what we think the ball will do, where we want the ball to land etc. I find it helpful to see what the ball does from directly behind another player, I can watch the ball the entire time from the perfect angle something I never get to do when playing a real round. So it is good practice for me and since the round doesn't really count, anything that can help me improve while still maintaining a fun, fair, and competitive game I have no problem with.

While I realize that professional golfers are much more skilled than I am I would think it would be helpful to them as well. They get to watch a putt from a fellow professional in a pressure situation from the perfect angle. Than if that putt misses they get a chance to apply what they saw to try to make the putt. I wouldn't want to play or watch scrambles all the time but occasionally they are fun. Just like occasionally I like to play with less than my usual number of clubs. I would like to see the pro's play a one or two day tournament with 3 clubs and a putter. I think it would be interesting to see what clubs each player choses and see some very creative shots from the worlds best
post #43 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

It's silly season golf. It's also unofficial money, so it's really nothing more than an exhibition. Birdies and eagles make it exciting, so they're going to make it as easy as possible to score. Notice some of those "tournament" pin positions.
post #44 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
...He still broke the rule at the Shark Shootout - they just happened to allow it. I still say that's odd, but whatever...
If it was allowed then how is it breaking the rules? You should change the title of this thread and stop defaming this professional golfer.
post #45 of 48
Thread Starter 

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule at Shark Shootout (Twice)

Originally Posted by tjy355 View Post
If it was allowed then how is it breaking the rules? You should change the title of this thread and stop defaming this professional golfer.
He broke the rule. Just because the rule wasn't in effect doesn't change that.

And nobody reading the thread's going to think Kenny Perry's been "defamed."
post #46 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule at Shark Shootout (Twice)

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
He broke the rule. Just because the rule wasn't in effect doesn't change that.

And nobody reading the thread's going to think Kenny Perry's been "defamed."
People won't read the topic and think Kenny Perry's been defamed, they will read the topic and think Kenny Perry cheated. Not everyone will read the thread to the 6th page where you admit he did not cheat. Allowing the thread topic to remain amounts to defamation.

How can you break a rule that is not in effect?
post #47 of 48

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by mad max View Post
As a high handicapper with a poor short game I find it beneficial to play a scramble with a player with a good short game, it improves my short game. We can discuss what we think the ball will do, where we want the ball to land etc. I find it helpful to see what the ball does from directly behind another player, I can watch the ball the entire time from the perfect angle something I never get to do when playing a real round. So it is good practice for me and since the round doesn't really count, anything that can help me improve while still maintaining a fun, fair, and competitive game I have no problem with.
Very interesting. I've never played a scramble but you really make me want to give it a go - with someone who has a halfway decent short game. Mine is rubbish, not as bad as a year ago but still rubbish. This could really help as my problem is as much in the decision-making as in the execution, prolly more so in fact.
post #48 of 48
Thread Starter 

Re: Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

Originally Posted by tjy355 View Post
If it was allowed then how is it breaking the rules? You should change the title of this thread and stop defaming this professional golfer.
It's admittedly tough to take you seriously when you can't even bother to change the title of YOUR POST. The one I just quoted. If you feel so badly for Kenny Perry, why didn't you change the title to "Kenny Perry is awesome and didn't do anything wrong" or something?

I could change the title of the thread, but I'm not gonna. Why? Because I'd have to change the title of EVERY post in the thread, too. Including the one you were too busy being self-righteous to change on your own.

P.S. OK, actually I can do it with MySQL and it takes 12 seconds. So now it's done. Even yours.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout