or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Does every round need to be posted?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does every round need to be posted?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
So at the new year, Im gonna get an "official" handicap. Probably gonna do it through Golfsmith because when summer rolls around I wont be a club member any longer.

Anyways, do I have to post every round I play? I mean sometimes a round goes so damn bad after 5 holes it turns into a "practice" round

But Im thinking now that if I have an official cap, everything needs to be posted.

I like going out and hitting 2 balls a hole to work on stuff, maybe I can play one for a real score, and one can be for practice?

How does it all work?
post #2 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
Anyways, do I have to post every round I play? I mean sometimes a round goes so damn bad after 5 holes it turns into a "practice" round
Post everything. If you want to play a practice round, decide that before you tee off and don't keep score.

Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
I like going out and hitting 2 balls a hole to work on stuff, maybe I can play one for a real score, and one can be for practice?
Eh, avoid doing that... unless you're playing one of your practice rounds.
post #3 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

through golfsmith? can you explain?
post #4 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
I like going out and hitting 2 balls a hole to work on stuff, maybe I can play one for a real score, and one can be for practice?
That won't work---you should only post rounds you play according to the rules of golf. Playing two balls is not allowed.

Well, it might be, but you'd need to take a pair of penalty strokes for every stroke on your "practice" ball.

Anyway, I don't keep a real handicap, but I say just report everything. As Iacas suggests, decide *before* teeing off whether it's a practice round or not. If your rounds tend to "go south" on you, your handicap should reflect that. If you just want a vanity 'cap, just make up a number and don't bother with the scores.
post #5 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Yea, I decide before a round whether or not I am going to record it. Luckily I have not had any stellar rounds while doing this!
post #6 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

As others have said, post everything unless you declare practice before the round.

Originally Posted by lobsterzilla View Post
through golfsmith? can you explain?
Golfsmith has a 'club' that you can join at a store or online. I think you pay $20-30 a year and you get member number and you can post your scores online. Technically, to get an official handicap you have to join a club. This doesn't mean you have to join a Country Club. Think of it more along the lines of a handicap club. Many public courses that don't have memberships will still have a club you can join to get an official handicap.
post #7 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

To get an honest idea of what your official index is, I'd record every round for the next ten sets of 18 holes. I've read that ten is the minimumum number of rounds (18 holes) to get an official handicap index, but some programs can go off of as few as five rounds.
post #8 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by goblue107501 View Post
Golfsmith has a 'club' that you can join at a store or online. I think you pay $20-30 a year and you get member number and you can post your scores online. ...
Golf Galaxy has a similar plan. You're required to play a couple a rounds a year on the regional "home course," and a couple of other rounds at any course attested by other golfers in the GG network.
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by zeg View Post
If your rounds tend to "go south" on you, your handicap should reflect that. If you just want a vanity 'cap, just make up a number and don't bother with the scores.
Well you see, Im very busy and dont have time to do any kind of warm up whatsoever. I get to the course and must tee off before it gets dark out.

The days I can warm up before a round are the days I shoot my best, low to mid 80's...

I bomb the first 3 or 4 holes when I dont warm up at all, so should my cap reflect the fact that I cant warm up? I usually "turn" it into a practice round after double bogeying the first 3 holes....... Ive gone triple, triple, triple, double, double then par'd out the rest of the course. Its just the first few holes suck because I need to warm up.

I know exactly what you mean, and I will start recording everything. Can 9 hole rounds be recorded and applied to your handicap? I usually only have time to play a full 18 once a week. Twice if Im SUPER lucky to have the time.

And Erik, thats a good idea, I'll decide if its a practice round before I tee off and not keep a score.

Jim
post #10 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
Well you see, Im very busy and dont have time to do any kind of warm up whatsoever. I get to the course and must tee off before it gets dark out.

The days I can warm up before a round are the days I shoot my best, low to mid 80's...

I bomb the first 3 or 4 holes when I dont warm up at all, so should my cap reflect the fact that I cant warm up? I usually "turn" it into a practice round after double bogeying the first 3 holes....... Ive gone triple, triple, triple, double, double then par'd out the rest of the course. Its just the first few holes suck because I need to warm up.

I know exactly what you mean, and I will start recording everything. Can 9 hole rounds be recorded and applied to your handicap? I usually only have time to play a full 18 once a week. Twice if Im SUPER lucky to have the time.

And Erik, thats a good idea, I'll decide if its a practice round before I tee off and not keep a score.

Jim
Every round must be posted if you want to follow USGA rules as far as handicap goes. Practice rounds are not posted but it must be a stipulated *practice* before you tee off.

9 hole rounds can be posted, when you have 2 of them they will be combined to form a full round.

It takes 20 posted scores to have a real handicap - the best 10 of 20 are counted so your bad rounds will drop off anyway. Your handicap may bounce all over the place until 20 rounds are posted.

I have a friend that decides to turn his rounds into practice rounds after 2-3 bad holes. His handicap is nothing more than a vanity handicap and no one that knows him will allow him on their team in tournaments.
post #11 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

I post every round, regardless of how terrible it starts out. You could tripple the first three hole, and par out shooting 9 over? Never give up no matter what a couple of holes looks like. I shot an 8 today following a birdie and ended up with an 85.
post #12 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

EVERY round including "Practice" rounds should be posted unless you are not following the rules of golf (like playing more than one ball.).

The only scores deemed unacceptable by the USGA are detailed in the USGA Handicap Manual, Section 5-1f

5-1 f. Unacceptable Scores

Scores made under the following conditions are not acceptable for handicap purposes and must not be entered in the player's scoring record:

(i) When fewer than seven holes are played;

(ii) When made on a golf course in an area in which an inactive season established by the authorized golf association is in effect;

(iii) When a majority of the holes are not played in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf (except for preferred lies);

(iv) When the length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18 holes (or less than 1,500 yards for 9 holes);

(v) When, as a condition of the competition, the maximum number of clubs allowed is less than 14, or types of clubs are limited as, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs;

(vi) When scores are made on a course with no USGA Course Rating or Slope Rating;

(vii) When a player uses non-conforming clubs, non-conforming balls, or tees;

(viii) With respect to Rule 14-3 (Rules of Golf), when an artificial device or piece of unusual equipment is used during the execution of a stroke or when equipment is used in an unusual manner during the execution of a stroke. (See Decision 5-1f/2 for an exception.)
post #13 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by kpaulhus View Post
I post every round, regardless of how terrible it starts out. You could tripple the first three hole, and par out shooting 9 over? Never give up no matter what a couple of holes looks like. I shot an 8 today following a birdie and ended up with an 85.
There are stipulations for the max number to post on a given hole relative to par, and it is based on your handicap. This prevents an oddball quad or quintuple bogey ruining your round. You still shot an 85, but the actual score you would post for handicapping purposes would be lower.
post #14 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by MrKadash View Post
There are stipulations for the max number to post on a given hole relative to par, and it is based on your handicap. This prevents an oddball quad or quintuple bogey ruining your round. You still shot an 85, but the actual score you would post for handicapping purposes would be lower.
Right. After I entered it into the website it showed my ESC score as being an 84.

I just liked how after I posted the round, my Handicap went down .5 lol as long as it keeps going down Im happy. This was my 34th round since August 1st too.
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Great info, thanks guys!

Hey Kpaul, where do you keep your handicap? At a club or somewhere online? Since your local, I'd just like to know where the less expensive places are to have a cap as Im gonna get a real one in a few days!

Oh and I gotta get in some rounds before the new year that are "true" handicaped rounds so I can enter them when I sign up for my cap.

Jim
post #16 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

I used to never record scores, then I started recording only the scores I like. Now I record everything unless I can't finish a round or the play is unbelievably slow that I skip a few holes (I hate public courses around here).

My thinking is that if I play poorly, it is a reflection on where I am at with my game so I don't mind at all putting down a bad score.
post #17 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Originally Posted by tjy355 View Post
EVERY round including "Practice" rounds should be posted unless you are not following the rules of golf (like playing more than one ball.).
So you are not allowed to practice on the course
post #18 of 21

Re: Does every round need to be posted?

Youre supposed to keep score and post every time you play, but im guilty of not doing so. During the season, ill often play a quick 9 after work. Those are just leasure golfing for me and I rarley keep score during those types of rounds. But as long as you post the majority of them you'll be ok.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Does every round need to be posted?