or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Odyssey Marksman or Cleveland Niblick.......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Odyssey Marksman or Cleveland Niblick....... - Page 2

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Again, the Cleveland Niblick is NOT just a chipper ...it has been tested and found to be more effective than "normal" clubs for ALL handicaps from single digit to 24 'capper duffers.


Cleveland can market it as a scoring club if they want but its still just a chipper.  As for it being more effective, how many tour pros carry a Niblick?  Im going to bet that the answer is a big, fat goose egg.

post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post


Cleveland can market it as a scoring club if they want but its still just a chipper.  As for it being more effective, how many tour pros carry a Niblick?  Im going to bet that the answer is a big, fat goose egg.

And how many pros actually NEED a Cleveland Niblick?....seeing as they do nothing all day but practice....and you, I,  and the rest of the recreational golfers do NOT

 

....BTW I notice that you are a 20 'cap....ironically , you would benefit the most from carrying a Niblick in your bag....I have probably been playing less than half as long as you (only 6 years) and I am a senior(probably old enough to be your father) yet I already carry a lower handicap than you and have shot 81 four times........maybe time for you to swallow your ego and pack a Niblick in your bag, mate....

 

Remember what Bobby Jones said: "Golf is about turning 4 shots into 3"  

 

And he said absolutely nothing about the manner in which one did so -other than doing it in a legal fashion....time to realize you are not now nor ever will be a tour pro and bring your scores down while actually enjoying the game itself....get a niblick.....bring more of your scorecard down closer to that "big, fat goose egg"   LOL

post #21 of 41

C golfer, gotta agree with stogie. I've got three of em and the versatility is excelklent. I love that they're all the same length and sit a little bit more upright that my other wedges. Full on shots are easy, and around the green I can use a putting stroke to bump and run(42) or flip it up (56).  They're weirdly straight And I love the big wide soles with lots of low weight for more of a pendulummy swing. The other great thing about them is they save me slots in the bag. now I've got some good wedges from about 130 yards and a full arsenal of around the green chippers. Win/win

post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

C golfer, gotta agree with stogie. I've got three of em and the versatility is excelklent. I love that they're all the same length and sit a little bit more upright that my other wedges. Full on shots are easy, and around the green I can use a putting stroke to bump and run(42) or flip it up (56).  They're weirdly straight And I love the big wide soles with lots of low weight for more of a pendulummy swing. The other great thing about them is they save me slots in the bag. now I've got some good wedges from about 130 yards and a full arsenal of around the green chippers. Win/win

 

What's the difference between a bump and run played with a niblick and one played with say an 8 iron like I normally do? 

 

Do you also carry normal wedges? If not, what do you do when you need extra loft and you can't open up your niblick? Or can you?

post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordan View Post

 

What's the difference between a bump and run played with a niblick and one played with say an 8 iron like I normally do? 

 

Do you also carry normal wedges? If not, what do you do when you need extra loft and you can't open up your niblick? Or can you?


Stogie would tell you that a Niblick makes it impossible to screw up those short little shots, which is a bunch of nonsense.

post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

And how many pros actually NEED a Cleveland Niblick?....seeing as they do nothing all day but practice....and you, I,  and the rest of the recreational golfers do NOT

 

....BTW I notice that you are a 20 'cap....ironically , you would benefit the most from carrying a Niblick in your bag....I have probably been playing less than half as long as you (only 6 years) and I am a senior(probably old enough to be your father) yet I already carry a lower handicap than you and have shot 81 four times........maybe time for you to swallow your ego and pack a Niblick in your bag, mate....

 

Remember what Bobby Jones said: "Golf is about turning 4 shots into 3"  

 

And he said absolutely nothing about the manner in which one did so -other than doing it in a legal fashion....time to realize you are not now nor ever will be a tour pro and bring your scores down while actually enjoying the game itself....get a niblick.....bring more of your scorecard down closer to that "big, fat goose egg"   LOL


No thanks.  Id rathar practice using a normal club instead of relying on a crutch like the Niblick.

post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

And how many pros actually NEED a Cleveland Niblick?....seeing as they do nothing all day but practice....and you, I,  and the rest of the recreational golfers do NOT

 

....BTW I notice that you are a 20 'cap....ironically , you would benefit the most from carrying a Niblick in your bag....I have probably been playing less than half as long as you (only 6 years) and I am a senior(probably old enough to be your father) yet I already carry a lower handicap than you and have shot 81 four times........maybe time for you to swallow your ego and pack a Niblick in your bag, mate....

 

Remember what Bobby Jones said: "Golf is about turning 4 shots into 3"  

 

And he said absolutely nothing about the manner in which one did so -other than doing it in a legal fashion....time to realize you are not now nor ever will be a tour pro and bring your scores down while actually enjoying the game itself....get a niblick.....bring more of your scorecard down closer to that "big, fat goose egg"   LOL

Let the uneducated think that they are just chippers.

 

I am amazed at how many times I play with different members during tourneys that want to buy my 37* off of me when I tell them that they are not made anymore.

 

The 56 degree has helped immensely with pitch shots from 80 yards out and the 37 degree is money 110 yards out from the thick rough.

post #26 of 41

I won't get into the Niblick vs any other chipper argument, but I make no secret of the fact that I FIRMLY believe that anyone carrying higher than a single digit handicap should at least give a chipper an honest try.  Anyone north of 15 should absolutely carry one.  Can the same thing be done with an  iron?  Of course.  But it's easier, more consistent, and more accurate for the majority of less skilled golfers to use a chipper for the majority of their little pitch and run shots around the green.  Unfortunately, too many times ego gets in the way of better scores......

post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post


No thanks.  Id rathar practice using a normal club instead of relying on a crutch like the Niblick.

sure...but you'd be more than happy to lean ever so hard on the "crutch" of the latest greatest whizbang driver guaranteed to deliver an extra 35 yards, or the newest big deal fairway wood , hybrid, ball etc.. .....LOL

 

Next time you manage to play and , once again score in the 90's remember that the Niblick would have saved you anywhere from 3 to 6 strokes.....and kiss breaking 90 good byw without it. so sad to see people succumb so readily to peer pressure....high school is over mate!

 

But you keep right on grinding away with that pro tour grind wedge specially designed NOT for players like you.... essentially wasting precious playing time on the practice green....a chunkin' and a skullin' yer way through a day when you could have been playing and enjoying golf.

 

Next time you chunk an approach shot, which statistically shouldnt be too long from now,  remember our discussion.

post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Let the uneducated think that they are just chippers.

 

I am amazed at how many times I play with different members during tourneys that want to buy my 37* off of me when I tell them that they are not made anymore.

 

The 56 degree has helped immensely with pitch shots from 80 yards out and the 37 degree is money 110 yards out from the thick rough.

Yes, I can not believe that Cleveland stopped making the 37 degree Niblick....what a money club from 100 - 120 yards out....and dont ya just love the way that 56 degree spins it!

One of the best features of the Niblicks, imo,  (except for the 56) is that wonderful alignment line that lets you set up your approach, pitch or chip with such confidence...

 

These clubs are good for 3-6 strokes per round at minimum!

 

Let the fools try to hit Vokey wedges designed for tour pros who do nothing but hit balls all day.....and watch their score cards explode....LOL

post #29 of 41

Like I said before, I had one and gave it away because it could do nothing that I couldn't do with a club that was already in my bag, and has limitations that wedges, an 8 or 9 iron don't have.   The guy that I gave it to no longer carries it either for the same reason.  Choking down on a 9 iron gave me the exact same results as the Niblick, point blank.  And the Niblick took up space that is now currently occupied by an additional hybrid, which filled a yardage gap.

 

If you like yours, that's fine, but for most people it isn't a magical club that will take shots off your scorecard just because it's so wonderful like you claim it to be.  If it was, it would still be in my bag.  It literally did nothing for me.  It without a doubt wasn't worth a single shot per round, nevermind 3-6 shots.  That's pure nonsense.

post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordan View Post

 

What's the difference between a bump and run played with a niblick and one played with say an 8 iron like I normally do? 

 

Do you also carry normal wedges? If not, what do you do when you need extra loft and you can't open up your niblick? Or can you?

The big difference for me between a B/R with an iron and the niblick is the connection. I always seem to hit chips in the sweet spot with the niblick and it seems to be predictable. If I had to hit 100 chips with either stick I'm pretty sure I'd middle the niblick more than the 8. IMO the COG of the cleveland is lower than my 8 iron. Secondly the club 's lie angle is more upright so I can set up with my head more over the ball and swing the club with a stiff armed putting motion. Also the club feels weightier and has a wide sole which seems to make chunking less of a problem. 

I carry the 42/49/56 niblicks, so no lobs. I'm just not consistent with lob wedges.

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

The big difference for me between a B/R with an iron and the niblick is the connection. I always seem to hit chips in the sweet spot with the niblick and it seems to be predictable. If I had to hit 100 chips with either stick I'm pretty sure I'd middle the niblick more than the 8. IMO the COG of the cleveland is lower than my 8 iron. Secondly the club 's lie angle is more upright so I can set up with my head more over the ball and swing the club with a stiff armed putting motion. Also the club feels weightier and has a wide sole which seems to make chunking less of a problem. 

I carry the 42/49/56 niblicks, so no lobs. I'm just not consistent with lob wedges.

Righto, logman

 

Nuthin' like a Niblick from 100-120 yards and in.....I too find 60 degree lob a wasted club ...at my club very few carry them because average amateurs cant hit them with any consistantcy -unless it's consistently fat or skulled....however I also find that the 56 degree niblick can produce a suitable lob based on ball position at set up....and with those zip groove spinners they sit where they're hit!

 

If you have a chance to pick up the 37 degree Niblick ( alas, not made any longer) I urge you to do so....just great for long bump and run style pitches and very reliable for chips around the green too...the lower trajectory makes your chip roll out much like a putt....and often in the jar! Seems like older players like myself and Europeans too understand the value of the long bump and run pitches and avoid the high risk air attack approach with inconsistant wedge shots (aka the "American" game)...'tis far better to come up a wee bit short on the fringe with a bump and run than miss the green entirely with a "pro" wedge shot mishit.  Cheers.

post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

C golfer, gotta agree with stogie. I've got three of em and the versatility is excelklent. I love that they're all the same length and sit a little bit more upright that my other wedges. Full on shots are easy, and around the green I can use a putting stroke to bump and run(42) or flip it up (56).  They're weirdly straight And I love the big wide soles with lots of low weight for more of a pendulummy swing. The other great thing about them is they save me slots in the bag. now I've got some good wedges from about 130 yards and a full arsenal of around the green chippers. Win/win

Got a question for you and all other Niblick fans here:

 

I am rather short at 5'-6" and do choke down on all of my Niblicks....I've been considering cutting my steel shafts down one or two inches thus making the mens model Niblick (originally 36 ") into a 34" which happens to be the length of the womens Niblick. Figured maybe I'd split the difference and cut mine down to 35 to try it out first?? 

 

FYI- I putt with a Taylormade Rossa Daytona #1 AGSI cut to 32".

 

Your thoughts and those of other Niblick fans here would be much appreciated.

post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies View Post

Got a question for you and all other Niblick fans here:

 

I am rather short at 5'-6" and do choke down on all of my Niblicks....I've been considering cutting my steel shafts down one or two inches thus making the mens model Niblick (originally 36 ") into a 34" which happens to be the length of the womens Niblick. Figured maybe I'd split the difference and cut mine down to 35 to try it out first?? 

 

FYI- I putt with a Taylormade Rossa Daytona #1 AGSI cut to 32".

 

Your thoughts and those of other Niblick fans here would be much appreciated.

Is it uncomfortable choking up with it?

 

I'm a few inches taller than you and have never had to choke up with the Niblick - before I went with the long putter, I was using a 34 inch scotty.

 

I tend to choke up with my fairway woods and it doesnt bother me - so I probably wouldnt cut it down (unless its a comfort issue)

post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Is it uncomfortable choking up with it?

 

I'm a few inches taller than you and have never had to choke up with the Niblick - before I went with the long putter, I was using a 34 inch scotty.

 

I tend to choke up with my fairway woods and it doesnt bother me - so I probably wouldnt cut it down (unless its a comfort issue)

I've read that most golfers are using clubs that are too long for them as the "average " height assumed by manufacterers is 5'-8" and taller. Indeed my wife's clubs  (like all standard womens clubs) are all cut a tad shorter and feel quite comfortable at address. In example the standard mens putters are ALL too long at 34 and 35 inches and most definitely damage the swing path.

 

I have done the "club wizard" fitting online and been told repeatedly that all of my clubs should be cut down 1/2 inch but have not done so since it seems rather little and as I said I always choke down anyway.   So I'm reluctant to do so but curious as to results....it makes a tremendous difference with my putters as at 32-33 inches they fit more comfortably in my pendulum swing...and the putter is my best,  most reliable club in my bag....perhaps I will hold off until the grips need replacing and reconsider a modest cut at that time...

 

oh and yes my God !!  I do indeed choke down big time on my FW woods as they are amongst the longest clubs in the bag...better to sacrifice a bit of distance in the name of hitting the fairway, eh?  LOL BTW I recently changed out my 4 and 5 hybrid irons for 7 and 9 woods with solid results -averaging an extra 10 yards with minimal loss of accuracy. I also tried swapping out my 6 and 7 hybrid irons with high lofted woods (11 and 15) but found that at those distances the hybrid accuracy is more desirable as these clubs are making approach shots at greens.

 

Of course the best approach would probably be to find a reliable club fitter and get a customized sizing based on my personal set up and swing. Maybe someplace like Dicks Sporting Goods would do so for a nominal fee ....since I am not in the market for a new set at this time.

Thanks for your input.

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Is it uncomfortable choking up with it?

 

I'm a few inches taller than you and have never had to choke up with the Niblick - before I went with the long putter, I was using a 34 inch scotty.

 

I tend to choke up with my fairway woods and it doesnt bother me - so I probably wouldnt cut it down (unless its a comfort issue)

BTW since you are a few inches taller than me , the 34 inch putter is probably correct size for you according to the on-line Odyssey fitting program.So no surprise that you find it comfortable.

What do you plan to do about the long putter ban? As a recreational player will you simply ignore it? I know you dont have to switch out until at least 2016 but thought you must be considering all that non-sense.

post #36 of 41

I'm 5'5" and all my irons and my wedges are 1" shorter than standard and 2-2.5* upright.  My driver is 44" long, and my SeeMore is 32.5" long.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Odyssey Marksman or Cleveland Niblick.......