or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Why does Ping label their wedges as W,U,S? I assume W is the PW, U is the GW, S is SW. But wouldn't it be less confusing if they label it P, G, S? I assume U stands for utility? I could imagine a japanese club maker label their club this way, but an American company??
post #2 of 12

Re: What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?

Different companies have different ways to mark their wedges. My Ben Hogan pitching and gap wedges are marked E and F, respectively; Hogan called the pitching wedge the "equalizer," and my best guess is the F stands for "fairway."

Some clubmakers mark the gap wedge with an A (presumably for "approach").
post #3 of 12

Re: What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?

I'm not sure on the "u" but it was an adjustment to me when I went to playing the Ping clubs. The W/S/L are understandable, but as you said the "Utility" title for the "U" would be reasonable.
post #4 of 12

Re: What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?

Originally Posted by very handicap View Post
Why does Ping label their wedges as W,U,S? I assume W is the PW, U is the GW, S is SW. But wouldn't it be less confusing if they label it P, G, S? I assume U stands for utility? I could imagine a japanese club maker label their club this way, but an American company??
wedge, utility, and sand. karsten solheim, the guy who started ping, was from norway. perhaps this has something to do with it.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

Re: What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?

Originally Posted by senorchipotle View Post
wedge, utility, and sand. karsten solheim, the guy who started ping, was from norway. perhaps this has something to do with it.
This makes sense. :) It will take a while, but i guess i will eventually get used to it. :)
post #6 of 12
The W and U marking will take some getting used to. I guess I would have preferred P, G, S, and L.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujan View Post

The W and U marking will take some getting used to. I guess I would have preferred P, G, S, and L.
Yeah I still haven't quite gotten used to the u on mine either. My sand and lob are just marked with degrees. If I was inventing a new line of clubs I'd go one of two different ways:

Label everything after nine iron by degrees only, or just continue the number system and call w a 10 , u an 11, s a 12 and l a 13.

Or I could just get used to the u ;)
post #8 of 12

It's just one of the quirks with Ping... they put a W for their pitching wedge, U for Utility (which is a gap wedge), and S for Sand...

 

A few different companies have weird little things like this. Ben Hogan clubs use an "E" on the pitching wedge which stands for "Equalizer." Nike puts an "A" (approach) on their gap wedges while Cleveland uses a "D" (dual).

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

It's just one of the quirks with Ping... they put a W for their pitching wedge, U for Utility (which is a gap wedge), and S for Sand...

 

A few different companies have weird little things like this. Ben Hogan clubs use an "E" on the pitching wedge which stands for "Equalizer." Nike puts an "A" (approach) on their gap wedges while Cleveland uses a "D" (dual).

Dual wedge!  You just reminded me of my favorite club when I was a teenager.  It was one of my dads old clubs, and it was before its time.  Don't think a lot of people (nobody) were bagging gap wedges (or lob wedges) in the 80's.  Of course neither was I because even though it said 'dual,' it was all I add below my pitching wedge and I just considered it my sand wedge.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Dual wedge!  You just reminded me of my favorite club when I was a teenager.  It was one of my dads old clubs, and it was before its time.  Don't think a lot of people (nobody) were bagging gap wedges (or lob wedges) in the 80's.  Of course neither was I because even though it said 'dual,' it was all I add below my pitching wedge and I just considered it my sand wedge.

When I was a kid I didn't know there was such a thing as a "gap wedge," but I had a wedge labelled "G." I called it my "great wedge."
post #11 of 12
Quote:
When I was a kid I didn't know there was such a thing as a "gap wedge," but I had a wedge labelled "G." I called it my "great wedge."

 

That's funny right there!

post #12 of 12

It stands for 'wuss' ... your clubs are mocking you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What does W, U, S stand for in Ping Iron?