or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › 250 yards is a respectable carry distance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

250 yards is a respectable carry distance - Page 8

post #127 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by double_j View Post
. . . don't forget that we're talking about the difference between a maximum and and an average. They're very different things.
Bad shots happen - everyone flubs the occasional drive. You could include the occasional top, snap, or shank in your average if it makes you feel more honest.

Let's say that average is the 220-225 you estimate.

Now, let's say you're 225 out on a par 5. What do you hit?
post #128 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Just played with a golfer on friday. Shot in the 90's, hits the ball 270+ easy.

To hit a 300 yard drive, you must have a athletic swing. You must make some sort of square contact. I have never scene a hook or a slice travel over 300 yards, unless you catch ESPN long drive, but there slice is probably a fade for them.

For me, i usually hit the center of the driver 80% of the time, if i do miss it, its towards the bottome of the driver were i will thin it a bit. My biggest miss is the duck hook, i hate it with a passion.

I am 6'1" tall, 225lbs, my driving average is 295 carry. But i contribute this to solid contact and a solid swing.

though i do credit lifting weights and gaining flexibility as a major key. Last year i would have to swing harder to get this distance. I worked out so i could swing not as hard.
post #129 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
Just played with a golfer on friday. Shot in the 90's, hits the ball 270+ easy.
So you measured it with some sort of GPS or rangefinder, then?

Reason I ask is that most people just simply don't know how far 270+ really is. I've been told more times than I can count that my drives HAVE to be 290+ each time (by people who just have no idea). I carry the ball about 260. That's with an average of a 108 mph swing speed. One guy I knew would alway tell me about his long drives he hit the previous day and how he hit some out there 280-290. I'd just smile and tell him that was awesome and that I only hit mine around 260 or so. He'd laugh and say "Awww NO WAY! You hit way past me, you gotta be hitting it 300."
post #130 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post
Bad shots happen - everyone flubs the occasional drive. You could include the occasional top, snap, or shank in your average if it makes you feel more honest.

Let's say that average is the 220-225 you estimate.

Now, let's say you're 225 out on a par 5. What do you hit?
Probably not the point of the question, but the answer is dependent on the hole. Theoretically this is a 3 wood for me (about 220 off the turf about 65% of the time) but I'd heavily consider hitting a 19 degree hybrid (about 200 off the turf 80% of the time) depending on the situation ahead (e.g., forward hole, forced carry, tight OB, etc.). If I'm really not comfortable, I'd go with pitching wedge to leave myself another full wedge shot for my approach (about 125 yards 95% of the time).

Bottom line is that with all of the choices outlined above, I'm probably looking at getting squarely on the green 1 out of 5 times from 225 (I know, long approaches are definitely a weak spot for me). The vast majority of the time I'll have a shot of 20 yards or less left unless I've consciously chosen to lay up. Given my driver average of 220-225, I'd probably do better by hitting a 3/4 low runner off the deck. More consistent and safer to boot!

I guess I strayed from the original meaning of the post, but my ultimate point is this: It's not that unusual for people to physically hit the ball far but it's very unusual for someone to have the ability to hit the ball far and consistently well enough that they can use that length to their advantage. I don't doubt that people consistenly overestimate their driving ability, but I also know that even the dryest piece of land will catch a rainshower every now and then.
post #131 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by double_j View Post
Probably not the point of the question, but the answer is dependent on the hole. Theoretically this is a 3 wood for me (about 220 off the turf about 65% of the time) but I'd heavily consider hitting a 19 degree hybrid (about 200 off the turf 80% of the time) depending on the situation ahead (e.g., forward hole, forced carry, tight OB, etc.). If I'm really not comfortable, I'd go with pitching wedge to leave myself another full wedge shot for my approach (about 125 yards 95% of the time).

Bottom line is that with all of the choices outlined above, I'm probably looking at getting squarely on the green 1 out of 5 times. The vast majority of the time I'll have a shot of 20 yards or less left. Given my driver average of 220-225, I'd probably do better by hitting a 3/4 low runner off the deck. More consistent and safer to boot!

I guess I strayed from the original meaning of the post, but my ultimate point is this: It's not that unusual for people to physically hit the ball far but it's very unusual for someone to have the ability to hit the ball far and consistently well enough that they can use that length to their advantage. I don't doubt that people consistenly overestimate their driving ability, but I also know that even the dryest piece of land will catch a rainshower every now and then.
For argument's sake, I'd reach for the 3-iron or maybe 5-wood to get to a 225 yard pin. If long was dead, the 3-iron. If I had to carry 225, I'd probably choke down on a 5-wood. Will I get there 100% of the time? Dude, I'm a 10 handicap too - what do you think? We can knock down a flag from 220 on one hole and then miss a green from 50 yards away on the next. Shit happens.

I guess my point was that, include crappy shots in your average if you want, but if you're on 400 yard par-4 with 290 yards of wide open fairway, aren't you a little disappointed with anything more than an 8-iron approach left?

You might not always get the ball out past 250 yards (carry or not), but you sort of expect it, don't you.
post #132 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Oh i know what 300 is. When i get up to a 400 yard hole and my golf ball is with in 2 yards of the red 100 marker, yep its 300, give or take 5 yards. Yeah most people don't know there yardage of there drive. I know my straight ball (2 yard draw) goes 300 (with roll), carries about 290 or so. My drives don't get much roll, unless 10 yard is alot of roll. That and its still spring so the courses are still a bit damp. My duck hook goes 265-270 yards. My push cut goes about 280 yards.

But honestly, if i was those who think they hit it a ton, take the hole yardage and minus what you hit to the green. best way to get a guess of what you hit.
post #133 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post
I guess my point was that, include crappy shots in your average if you want, but if you're on 400 yard par-4 with 290 yards of wide open fairway, aren't you a little disappointed with anything more than an 8-iron approach left?

You might not always get the ball out past 250 yards (carry or not), but you sort of expect it, don't you.
Oh, absolutely. If I have to reach for a 7 iron or worse, then I screwed up the drive. Although some days I'd take just knowing that the ball will go relatively straight before I hit it!
post #134 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
I am 6'1" tall, 225lbs, my driving average is 295 carry.
I'd drive to Dayton, and put solid money on the fact you don't 'carry' 295 yards...i want to meet the man who does better than tour pros on 'average' drives.
post #135 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by Gioguy21 View Post
I'd drive to Dayton, and put solid money on the fact you don't 'carry' 295 yards...i want to meet the man who does better than tour pros on 'average' drives.
I can't vouch for this guy, and to be honest, those numbers kind of jumped off the screen for me too, but I've seen range regulars who can pump ranges balls out past 300 yards with regularlity. I don't think they'd have a trouble getting a Top Flite out that far.

The private road at the end of the practice range is ~ 370 yards off the tee at it's farthest point - there are always balls in the ditch - across the road. Some were probably hit with the tees up, so that's only ~350 total. I've watched them hit balls for a few seconds here and there. It's incredible - my spine would probably shatter if I tried to do that. Then I get back to my own bucket of balls and work on hitting greens.
post #136 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post
I can't vouch for this guy, and to be honest, those numbers kind of jumped off the screen for me too, but I've seen range regulars who can pump ranges balls out past 300 yards with regularlity. I don't think they'd have a trouble getting a Top Flite out that far.

The private road at the end of the practice range is ~ 370 yards off the tee at it's farthest point - there are always balls in the ditch - across the road. Some were probably hit with the tees up, so that's only ~350 total. I've watched them hit balls for a few seconds here and there. It's incredible - my spine would probably shatter if I tried to do that. Then I get back to my own bucket of balls and work on hitting greens.
sorry, i'm not buyin it. range balls? over 350? i'm callin bs. unless a verified yardage...and not bouncin off that old road you mentioned, i'm sorry, i'm callin bs.
post #137 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

well let me rephrase that, thats my 2009 numbers. This year will be lower because i want to actually hit some fairways. My 295 average includes some nice pull shots as well. I think i had about 15% driving accuracy last year. This year i am tuning it back, but when i want to get after one i can easily be assured its going over 295.

Just because i am 6'1" doesn't mean i can't jacked the ball. You don't have to be 6'6" to get the leverage required to do it. I play with a guy who is about same size as me, in better shape than me, who if he is on hits it 285-290. But like i say, my drives are almost full carry.
post #138 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Come on down to Dayton. Community golf course, Thursday, 4pm i will be there each week for the next 11 weeks. I am always game to win some money
post #139 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Sure, i'll be in touch when i'm rolling through that way on travel in a few weeks...besides i'd love to be your agent...b/c if you can hit that far, i'll fund a teacher b/c there's no way in Helluva goodness that you shouldn't be scratch or better ;) but...like i said, i'll be in touch to see this
post #140 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Another weekend, playing three rounds, another weekend not seeing anything close to a legit 300yd drive. Three times on my home range surrounded by a bunch of avid golfers, I think I saw two guys that could get the range balls out to the 250yd flag on the fly.
post #141 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

Honestly, i can count on my hand how many others i found who were able to seriously outdrive me, besides going to see the Pro's Play. One was on my highschool golf team, a few inches taller than me, but could fly the green on the first hole at Tam O'Shantern golf course in Canton, ohio.

If you want proof, community golf course, Dayton, ohio. Hole 1, 328 yards from the back of the tee box. We play the Back tees in my league. Usually 10-20 yards from the back of the tee box. I hit the green, or hit the front bunker of the green.
post #142 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

The reason i am not a scratch golfer, i usually have 35+ putts a round. I am a two putt machine. My scrambling ability is horrible.
post #143 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

HAhaha. A lot of you guys just won't come to terms with the fact that plenty of average Joes can hit a ball longer than you. Guess it makes you feel bad
post #144 of 353

Re: 250 yards is a respectable carry distance

question was if a 250 yard average carry was good...I'd say so, long as it's honest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › 250 yards is a respectable carry distance