or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › How many wedges do you carry?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many wedges do you carry?

Poll Results: How many wedges do you carry?

 
  • 3% (16)
    One
  • 15% (68)
    Two
  • 81% (367)
    Three or more
451 Total Votes  
post #1 of 193
Thread Starter 
How many wedges do you carry and lofts do they have? Right now I only have one. It is a 50.5 PW (Ping Eye 2) and I'm trying to figure out the next step for my wedges. I was thinking a 56 SW and 61 Lob wedge, does that sound about right or should I have different lofts, or maybe even four wedges? Also, is there potential for problem to arise in getting different brand wedges (PW-Ping SW/LW-Cleveland)?
post #2 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

Originally Posted by CusePhil View Post
How many wedges do you carry and lofts do they have? Right now I only have one. It is a 50.5 PW (Ping Eye 2) and I'm trying to figure out the next step for my wedges. I was thinking a 56 SW and 61 Lob wedge, does that sound about right or should I have different lofts, or maybe even four wedges? Also, is there potential for problem to arise in getting different brand wedges (PW-Ping SW/LW-Cleveland)?
CusePhil,

No problem at all with mixing wedges. Pick what fits your eye and game the best. You'd be very surprised at the number of mixed sets on Tour, and the number of Eye 2 lob wedges out there.

As far as filling your loft gaps, since your pitching wedge is so weak lofted, by modern standards, you likely won't need a gap wedge. I would start by adding a 55 degree sand wedge. You may have to buy a 54 or 56 and get it bent a degree which is no problem. There are so many things to consider in terms of grooves, sole grinds, and bounce angles, you might need to start a new thread to help you decide which one you should pick up.

Once you feel comfortable with the sand wedge, I would add a lob wedge in either 59 or 60 degrees. A lob wedge is a little more difficult to hit than many might think, but it is simply an invaluable tool around the greens when you've short sided yourself.
post #3 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

I carry 4 wedges right now, used to be 5 till I wondered why my bag was so heavy.

They are:

PW - Nicklaus EZ-UP
52 - Cleveland CG-10
56 - Cleveland CG-11
60 - Cleveland CG-11

Since adding in the 56 and 60 degree wedges I have been much better around the greens.
post #4 of 193
Thread Starter 

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

Originally Posted by gas_can View Post
CusePhil,

No problem at all with mixing wedges. Pick what fits your eye and game the best. You'd be very surprised at the number of mixed sets on Tour, and the number of Eye 2 lob wedges out there.

As far as filling your loft gaps, since your pitching wedge is so weak lofted, by modern standards, you likely won't need a gap wedge. I would start by adding a 55 degree sand wedge. You may have to buy a 54 or 56 and get it bent a degree which is no problem. There are so many things to consider in terms of grooves, sole grinds, and bounce angles, you might need to start a new thread to help you decide which one you should pick up.

Once you feel comfortable with the sand wedge, I would add a lob wedge in either 59 or 60 degrees. A lob wedge is a little more difficult to hit than many might think, but it is simply an invaluable tool around the greens when you've short sided yourself.
Yet again, thanks for the valuable help gas_can. I really appreciate it. By the way, you say my PW at 50.5 is weak, is the normal PW around 47 or so?
post #5 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

I carry four wedges:

1. Titleist Pitching Wedge
2. Titleist Gap Wedge
3.Titleist Spin Mill 56.14* Sand Wedge
4. Titleist Spin Mill 60.04* Lob Wedge

I don't carry the lob wedge in tournaments that require 14 clubs, as it is my 15th club. I do carry it for general play and especially for practice sessions, as I am attempting, with some small amount of luck, to acquire some skill with it. All my wedges have the same shaft as my other irons: NS Pro 100 regular flex.
post #6 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

PW: Taylor Made OS 45
GW: Vokey 50/08
SW: Vokey SM 56/10
LW: Vokey SM 60/04
post #7 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

Originally Posted by CusePhil View Post
Yet again, thanks for the valuable help gas_can. I really appreciate it. By the way, you say my PW at 50.5 is weak, is the normal PW around 47 or so?
CusePhil,

Yes, most pitching wedges today are between 46-48 degrees.
post #8 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

I carry 3, although I have 4:

Tourstage z101 PW - 47.5*
Callaway X-Tour Vintage GW - 52*
Callaway X-Tour Vintage SW/LW - 58*

Also have a Hippo Gun Metal LW - 60*, but this doesn't get in the bag these days.
post #9 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

3 wedges at 6* loft spacing. 48*-54*-60* Works for me.

Mike
post #10 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

4 wedges for me. 47, 52, 56, 60. Extra wedge benefits my game more than having the 3 iron in the bag.
post #11 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

Tour Edge PW 47, GW 51.
Cleveland SW 55
Adams LW 60
post #12 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

I carry 5 technically. The PW in my iron set (X-14s) is pretty much a full-swing only club. The rest are Cleveland 900 in 51, 56, 60 and 64 lofts.
post #13 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

PW: Callaway X-12
GW: Cleveland CG 10 (52*)
SW: Cleveland CG 10 (56*)

Sometimes in the bag depending on wether or not I carry a hybrid:
LW: Cleveland CG 10 (60*)
post #14 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

Mizuno MP-30 47° PW
Mizuno MP T Black Ni 53°
Mizuno MP T Black Ni 58°
post #15 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

I've now got 4. PW, SW, LW, XW
post #16 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

3 Wedges total... pw, 52, 58. Have a 60* but found myself getting too cute with it and getting into more trouble than before. 52* has been my favorite as of late...
post #17 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

Go with what tiger woods have, a 56 SW and 60 LW.
You can also add a 52 GW if you want and take out one of your long iron in your bag...
post #18 of 193

Re: How many wedges do you carry?

PW
SW
60 degree
64 degree
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › How many wedges do you carry?