or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Kieran123)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Kieran123) - Page 3

post #37 of 106

You have a decent swing. First thing I notice is that you play the ball way too far back in your stance. And slow it down brah, you look like that little ball did you some harm and you want to kill it. 

 

Secondly, try lowering your right elbow. This is turn will lower your right shoulder and should give you the proper angle to sweep the ball and allow for a good release through the swing. And for goodness sake, open up your stance a bit. Move your left foot back and open it a little bit to give your hips some room to actively rotate. Your closed stance is making your arms come around your body; this closes the club face and if you aren't in perfect timing, will result in a nasty hook.

 

1. Open up your stance.

2. Take the club back low and slow.

3. Weaken your grip slightly

4. Play the ball a bit further up (perhaps off your left toe)

5. Bend your right elbow a little bit and it will lower your shoulder plane.

6. Take a few slow swings. See what kind of contact you make. Maybe start at about 50% power and start building up from there.

 

From what I see, you are a few simple fixes from improving your consistency. You have an athletic swing, which is good to see, but you need to worry less about swinging hard and concentrate on making good solid swings. Solid contact will win over swing speed any day of the week.

post #38 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastid View Post

You have a decent swing. First thing I notice is that you play the ball way too far back in your stance. And slow it down brah, you look like that little ball did you some harm and you want to kill it. 

 

Secondly, try lowering your right elbow. This is turn will lower your right shoulder and should give you the proper angle to sweep the ball and allow for a good release through the swing. And for goodness sake, open up your stance a bit. Move your left foot back and open it a little bit to give your hips some room to actively rotate. Your closed stance is making your arms come around your body; this closes the club face and if you aren't in perfect timing, will result in a nasty hook.

 

1. Open up your stance.

2. Take the club back low and slow.

3. Weaken your grip slightly

4. Play the ball a bit further up (perhaps off your left toe)

5. Bend your right elbow a little bit and it will lower your shoulder plane.

6. Take a few slow swings. See what kind of contact you make. Maybe start at about 50% power and start building up from there.

 

From what I see, you are a few simple fixes from improving your consistency. You have an athletic swing, which is good to see, but you need to worry less about swinging hard and concentrate on making good solid swings. Solid contact will win over swing speed any day of the week.


Awesome, thank you.

 

I will try open my stance a but and weaken the grip. I play my ball just inside my toe, like right on the edge....but will try further forward.

 

As for speed, I have worked on slowing down, and have trouble with my timing, and I sort of gave up on trying to slow it down, but will try work on it again and try and stick with it.

 

 

How do you mean lower my right elbow? Can you explain it a little more? Do you mean for me to drop it when I take the club back?

post #39 of 106

Hey OP, that's a pretty good looking swing.  I am in no way qualified to give technical advice, but would like to respond to the statements made about playing the ball further forward in your stance.  I felt like ball position was one thing I had correct, but after placing a shaft perpindicular to my stance, I realized that was an optical illusion.  I was playing every club waaaaay too far back, which really impacted consistency.  The last few range sessions, I worked on moving the ball forward just a little, and have noticed an improvement already.  I encourage you to try using a couple clubs to REALLY evaluate where the ball is in relation to your set-up.  I apologize if you have already done this...

 

Good luck!

post #40 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavis73 View Post

Hey OP, that's a pretty good looking swing.  I am in no way qualified to give technical advice, but would like to respond to the statements made about playing the ball further forward in your stance.  I felt like ball position was one thing I had correct, but after placing a shaft perpindicular to my stance, I realized that was an optical illusion.  I was playing every club waaaaay too far back, which really impacted consistency.  The last few range sessions, I worked on moving the ball forward just a little, and have noticed an improvement already.  I encourage you to try using a couple clubs to REALLY evaluate where the ball is in relation to your set-up.  I apologize if you have already done this...

 

Good luck!

Thanks man


I play my 3h and 4h a couple inches behind my front foot, 5h in centre, 6, 7, 8, 9, pw, gw, etc all a little further back.....gave me the best consistency

 

I will try play around with it a little more and see what happens. I need to open up my front foot a bit, maybe this will change where I place the ball

 

 

If anyone can explain my right elbow drop issue, it would be appreciated!

post #41 of 106

You need to flex your right elbow and bring it in a little closer to your body. Achieve this by standing a little closer to the ball, By keeping your right elbow cocked instead of straight, it alters the plane of your shoulders. This will result in you swinging the club through the ball on a slight upward plane. This doesn't need to be exaggerated, a slight cock in the elbow should fix a lot of problems.

post #42 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastid View Post

You need to flex your right elbow and bring it in a little closer to your body. Achieve this by standing a little closer to the ball, By keeping your right elbow cocked instead of straight, it alters the plane of your shoulders. This will result in you swinging the club through the ball on a slight upward plane. This doesn't need to be exaggerated, a slight cock in the elbow should fix a lot of problems.



Ok cool. I have tried standing closer to the ball, but feel like I get cramped up when swinging through, is this because I am trying to straighten out my right arm?

 

I will work on it tonight/tomorrow at the range

post #43 of 106
Thread Starter 

My Swing (Kieran123)

Well I purchased a Kodak Playsport ( very nice ) and so this morning I went to the range and recorded my 6 iron, driver and GW

 

Any tips appreciated!

 

I am struggling with push fading my irons badly....and I can see on my GW that I have a reverse loop going on - which may be the cause of my push fades.

 

Also having issues with driver with low ball flight

 

Thanks

 

Kieran

 

6 Iron:

 

 

Driver:

 

 

GW:

 

 

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

post #44 of 106

videos are terrible.   set the camera on your golf bag. i cant even see the top of the swing.

post #45 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post

videos are terrible.   set the camera on your golf bag. i cant even see the top of the swing.



No feedback on the swing?

post #46 of 106

I notice you are coming over the top and pulling the ball. looks to fade/slice back though. when I swing, I think of outside, inside, outside. meaning, keep the backswing outside of the stance. so extending the arms out to the top of the swing. then on the downswing, swing through the inside path and contact with the ball. if you look at your downswing on each video, you can see that your arms come "over the top" of the ball. last, if your downswing is through the inside path, your swing after contact with the ball will be through the outside path.  kind of hard to visualize it with words. I wonder if sometimes you pull the ball way left into the trees or onto another fairway? this happens if the club face is closed.

post #47 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4fun12 View Post

I notice you are coming over the top and pulling the ball. looks to fade/slice back though. when I swing, I think of outside, inside, outside. meaning, keep the backswing outside of the stance. so extending the arms out to the top of the swing. then on the downswing, swing through the inside path and contact with the ball. if you look at your downswing on each video, you can see that your arms come "over the top" of the ball. last, if your downswing is through the inside path, your swing after contact with the ball will be through the outside path.  kind of hard to visualize it with words. I wonder if sometimes you pull the ball way left into the trees or onto another fairway? this happens if the club face is closed.



Thanks buddy.

 

Yes I do suffer form pulls, and pull hooks with my driver...

 

So I need to drop my arms down to the inside more on the downswing?

 

I focus a lot on flattening out my swing to try and stop coming over the top, but I think because I get it flat, I have a tendency to do a reverse loop.

post #48 of 106

get me good video and i will help you...   dtl and face on  belly height...

post #49 of 106

youve got an over the top move, I expect pulls with slice spin. need to swing more inside

post #50 of 106

sorry i didnt have time to respond more earlier. A good drill to do for that over the top move is; get a big sponge/something soft and put it outside the ball behind it (so you dont come over the top to hit the ball) also put another big sponge after the ball on the inside of the ball. This will kind of create a path for your club to follow, if you hit the sponges on your swing then your not on the correct path. Hope this helps, its a good one.

 

btw if the balls are still flying right, then your face is too open, work on hand action too.

post #51 of 106

Over the top move is directly related to your set-up and backswing.    Trying to fix the downswing without fixing the backswing will result in a band aid fix.

post #52 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post

Over the top move is directly related to your set-up and backswing.    Trying to fix the downswing without fixing the backswing will result in a band aid fix.


 true, theres other factors too. He'l need to work on his set up and backswing positions but the drill I gave him is a good drill to do anyway. Makes you swing in to out or you'll hit a sponge.btw ever seen jim furyk's backswing but he sure does swing in to out on the downswing.

post #53 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post





Thanks buddy.

 

Yes I do suffer form pulls, and pull hooks with my driver...

 

So I need to drop my arms down to the inside more on the downswing?



yeah, your right shoulder comes way over the top. this results in a pull. it may be okay for you, but like you said, you sometimes pull the ball left.

 

to try not coming over the top, what I like to do is to keep my right elbow tucked into my body on the downswing. It helps prevent me from coming over the top of the ball.

 

also, on the back swing, I try to keep my right armpit closed. It keeps my right arm from getting away from my body and helps with not coming over the top.

post #54 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by motteler621 View Post




 true, theres other factors too. He'l need to work on his set up and backswing positions but the drill I gave him is a good drill to do anyway. Makes you swing in to out or you'll hit a sponge.btw ever seen jim furyk's backswing but he sure does swing in to out on the downswing.



IMOP   Furyk does not swing in to out.   In to out swings are push hooker/flippers.   Tiger woods with the driver phil with everything, VJ with everything.   Furyk  Holds onto to the leverage and clears left through the ball.    Watch the video link.  Notice how the butt of the club disapears before the club head on the follow through.   A in to out or slinger of the club like VJ you see the butt of the club point toward the camera and the clubhead dissapears on the follow through....

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Kieran123)