or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Kieran123)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Kieran123) - Page 4

post #55 of 103

You pointed out a reverse loop (over the top move).  Here are a few things you can do to fix this:

 

1.  Bend over a little more at addess to get your hands further away from your body (just a little). 

2.  Relax your arms a bit, they look tense.

3.  You want your hands to move straight back parallel to the target line during the takeaway (not inward so quickly) and keep the clubhead outside of your hands until your hands are well back and away from your body (left arm at 8 o'clock).

4.  Try keeping your right heel planted on the ground into impact

5.  If you are still coming OTT, try starting your downswing by pulling your arms down before your shoulders start turning.  This promotes a steeper path for the right shoulder.

 


Edited by Keep It Simple - 3/20/11 at 2:44pm
post #56 of 103

ok...    Problem is the club gets pulled behind you on the backswing......  You then lift your arms....    On the downswing you never make any compensations for these poor back swing issues..  I think not making ds compensations is great lets start wiht better video and we will work on the back swing..  Deal

post #57 of 103
Thread Starter 

Ok cool.

 

So on my back swing I need to pull the club away in a straight line before taking it around my body? And by lifting the club do you mean I bend my arms too quickly?

post #58 of 103

If you were to stop the video when your arms are around 8:30 on the backswing  the butt of the club should be closer to your right hip then at address and still pointing at your belly.    When you look at yours at 830  the butt of the club is pointing at the target and the clubhead is behind your chest...

 

 

The biggest thing you want to do is keep the club in front of the chest...........................     This will take the hands out of the swing......   Start the backswing with your right shoulder and right hip turning away from the ball.  This will be a pivot controlled backswing.     Take your camera dtl and video yourself.     You will notice that if you start and only think about turning the right should away the clubhead will stay outside your hands and the butt of the club will move closer to your right thigh.....   Tie a bath towel to your clubhead. then practice taking it back with the right shoulder....  You will and feel that the club and hands react to your pivot....            This drill will give you a feeling on what passive hands are.   then watch your old swing after watching this new drill video and you will notice right away how you start the old swing with your hands....    You will notice that the clubhead used to be behind you (stuck)......    You here this on TV all the time   he was stuck...  All that means is that the hand are not in front of the chest.............      Once you get this first move down we will work on  stopping the club at the exact same time your left shoulder stops on the backswing...   First things first... work hard on this first move.  show me video of you doing it..  OK

post #59 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post

If you were to stop the video when your arms are around 8:30 on the backswing  the butt of the club should be closer to your right hip then at address and still pointing at your belly.    When you look at yours at 830  the butt of the club is pointing at the target and the clubhead is behind your chest...

 

 

The biggest thing you want to do is keep the club in front of the chest...........................     This will take the hands out of the swing......   Start the backswing with your right shoulder and right hip turning away from the ball.  This will be a pivot controlled backswing.     Take your camera dtl and video yourself.     You will notice that if you start and only think about turning the right should away the clubhead will stay outside your hands and the butt of the club will move closer to your right thigh.....   Tie a bath towel to your clubhead. then practice taking it back with the right shoulder....  You will and feel that the club and hands react to your pivot....            This drill will give you a feeling on what passive hands are.   then watch your old swing after watching this new drill video and you will notice right away how you start the old swing with your hands....    You will notice that the clubhead used to be behind you (stuck)......    You here this on TV all the time   he was stuck...  All that means is that the hand are not in front of the chest.............      Once you get this first move down we will work on  stopping the club at the exact same time your left shoulder stops on the backswing...   First things first... work hard on this first move.  show me video of you doing it..  OK

Thanks mate.

 

It's funny. I was looking at a swing I videoed May of last year, and I don;t have this arm lifting issue. I wonder when it crept in.

 

Anyway, I will try the towel drill. I am going to the range tonight and will focus starting the backswing with my right shoulder/right hip.

 

I think the hardest thing is when I think about cocking the wrists, my arms want to bend right off the mark, but if I do this enough I am sure I can get it

 

Thanks again
 

 

post #60 of 103

Dont think about cocking the wrists.....   This will happen naturally if the club head is kept outside the hands.   The lead forearm will rotate and the cocking just happens..   another thing only work on the backswing work.  do not get tempted to work on anything else...  Stay the course.  dont forget reverse k set-up.

post #61 of 103

The takaway is fine, its the down swing.

 

In this first pic on the down swing the club head is way to far outside. Look at tigers this is where it should be. "This is when the club is parallel to the ground on the down swing"

 

Kierian1.jpg

 

 

 

This pic shows that the hands are to far out side the body, the blue circle shows your hands and they should be where the red circle is. The yellow line is the

club shaft, in your swing it is too steep and this is do to the OTT move. Start the down swing with your hips and let the hands drop down into the slot.

 

Kieran2.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #62 of 103

very nice, everythingGolf. simple, but shows the point.

post #63 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGolf View Post

The takaway is fine, its the down swing.

 

In this first pic on the down swing the club head is way to far outside. Look at tigers this is where it should be. "This is when the club is parallel to the ground on the down swing"

 

Kierian1.jpg

 

 

 

This pic shows that the hands are to far out side the body, the blue circle shows your hands and they should be where the red circle is. The yellow line is the

club shaft, in your swing it is too steep and this is do to the OTT move. Start the down swing with your hips and let the hands drop down into the slot.

 

Kieran2.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

That is very helpful. Thank you for that.

 

I can't believe how bad it is haha....I love seeing these pics. Again, thanks for taking the time.
 

 

post #64 of 103

Everything.   Pause the 6 iron swing at 11 sec..        You dont think it is a problem that the butt of the club is pointing to the right of the ball?  You dont think that the club head is behind his body and below the right forearm plane is a problem?   Then he lifts the club into a upright position where  his momentum causes is upper body to lean towards the target. This is his transistion move.  You dont see this move as a reason why he comes over the top?    Let me guess he needs to learn to drop it in the slot..  That way he can hit a draw and be so happy.. Then 6 months later he will wonder why he is drop kicking everything and hits snap hooks. He will not be able to fade or elevate a fairway wood to save his life...

 

K this is the road so many frustrated golfers go down.  The downswing is is less then a half second do you really think you can compensate for your mistakes on the backswing?   Many have tried. You have a great move through the ball.  The problem is your backswing puts your club and body in a  position to come over the top.   If you learn to drop it in  shanks will come your way....

post #65 of 103



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post

Everything.   Pause the 6 iron swing at 11 sec..        You dont think it is a problem that the butt of the club is pointing to the right of the ball?  You dont think that the club head is behind his body and below the right forearm plane is a problem?   Then he lifts the club into a upright position where  his momentum causes is upper body to lean towards the target. This is his transistion move.  You dont see this move as a reason why he comes over the top?    Let me guess he needs to learn to drop it in the slot..  That way he can hit a draw and be so happy.. Then 6 months later he will wonder why he is drop kicking everything and hits snap hooks. He will not be able to fade or elevate a fairway wood to save his life...

 

K this is the road so many frustrated golfers go down.  The downswing is is less then a half second do you really think you can compensate for your mistakes on the backswing?   Many have tried. You have a great move through the ball.  The problem is your backswing puts your club and body in a  position to come over the top.   If you learn to drop it in  shanks will come your way....



In this pic it shows the back swing and he is in a good position the butt of the club is pointing at the target line/ball. He does get a little behind on the backswing put it is not a problem because he gets into a good position at the top. He maintains his inclination through out his swing, I don't see him moving left.

 

K1.jpg

 

 

 

In this pic it shows that he is over the top on the down swing he should be under the yellow line and in tigers pic he is even under the red. The ideal position would be on the red line.

 

K2.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #66 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGolf View Post



 



In this pic it shows the back swing and he is in a good position the butt of the club is pointing at the target line/ball. He does get a little behind on the backswing put it is not a problem because he gets into a good position at the top. He maintains his inclination through out his swing, I don't see him moving left.

 

K1.jpg

 

 

 

In this pic it shows that he is over the top on the down swing he should be under the yellow line and in tigers pic he is even under the red. The ideal position would be on the red line.

 

K2.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just one quick response to your drawings.  To backswing pictures where you say this is not a problem.   Do you notice how his left arm is across his chest and his hand are at belly button height?    Look at tiger if that is your benchmark.   Tigers hands are in front of his chest not behind him. Notice the shaft plane is running through the elbow while tigers is throught the bicep?     Notice how his shoulder have steepened as a reaction from the club being so far behind him....   How does his arm plane go from an extremely flat angle a steeper angle relative to the shoulder? Thats because he lift his arms.    I believe better video is required along with face-on..... I cannot tell you the position he is in at the top because the video is shot from the ground and aimed at the ground.. But it appears as though he is steep.
 

 

post #67 of 103
Thread Starter 

Ok, so I went to the range and tried to work on this, was hitting baby draws and still hitting straigth pushes ( to a lesser extent than before 0.

 

I did video it and I am still coming over the top. I felt like my downswing was WAY under so I don't know what else to do.

 

I tried bringing the club up on a more vertical plane than looping down under it but that resulted in shanks.

 

Are there some drills to help in grain this?

 

I focused on keeping my arms connected and keep my left arm straight on the backswing and I am no longer lifting the club, and my contact/ball flight is better, but I am still coming over the top

post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post

Everything.   Pause the 6 iron swing at 11 sec..        You dont think it is a problem that the butt of the club is pointing to the right of the ball?  You dont think that the club head is behind his body and below the right forearm plane is a problem?   Then he lifts the club into a upright position where  his momentum causes is upper body to lean towards the target. This is his transistion move.  You dont see this move as a reason why he comes over the top?    Let me guess he needs to learn to drop it in the slot..  That way he can hit a draw and be so happy.. Then 6 months later he will wonder why he is drop kicking everything and hits snap hooks. He will not be able to fade or elevate a fairway wood to save his life...

 

K this is the road so many frustrated golfers go down.  The downswing is is less then a half second do you really think you can compensate for your mistakes on the backswing?   Many have tried. You have a great move through the ball.  The problem is your backswing puts your club and body in a  position to come over the top.   If you learn to drop it in  shanks will come your way....



This is what happens when you try to drop it in...  Lets see the video before you diagnose yourself.   Remember Rome was not built in a day.  All we were looking for is changing the first link in the swing it will slowly start to fall into place over time.  Be patient stay the course and lets work on the backswing.   By the way    Stadler won the mastesr coming over the top.  Leitzki was one of the best ball strikers on tour and he had a classic over the top move. This guy took several months of and could come back and compete right away.       Lets see the video.

post #69 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post





This is what happens when you try to drop it in...  Lets see the video before you diagnose yourself.   Remember Rome was not built in a day.  All we were looking for is changing the first link in the swing it will slowly start to fall into place over time.  Be patient stay the course and lets work on the backswing.   By the way    Stadler won the mastesr coming over the top.  Leitzki was one of the best ball strikers on tour and he had a classic over the top move. This guy took several months of and could come back and compete right away.       Lets see the video.



Ok cool, thanks

 

I will post it tonight after work

post #70 of 103

Is it just me or is he lining up too far from the ball? Seems like he lines up for a practice swing then adjusts the club outward.

 

I'm no expert but I could see this giving you the inside out swing because you're reaching for the ball.

post #71 of 103
Thread Starter 

Here is a new video. I know it is still over the top ( to a lesser degree ) but ant to know if I am making progress on the swing

 

post #72 of 103

The downswing is 100 times better. Great Job!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Kieran123)