or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pet Peeves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pet Peeves - Page 19

post #325 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk18 View Post

The problem you're all missing with cell phone gps apps is that if you're using your phone, people can call you during your round. I keep my phone off during my rounds because I'm there to play golf. "well Bob, it's 125 to the bunker on the right, and.. hold on I have to take this, it's the wife.."

 

Yeah I understand where you're coming from here but thats never been a problem for me. My phone is on silent and if I do get a call I simply ignore it. I cant turn my phone off just in case my wife has an emergency or needs to contact me asap. I cant be unreachable for 4 hours especially with a 1 year old at home that loves to climb stairs.
post #326 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

My pet peeve is the cheapos that need to borrow my phone after a round because their phone died using their android app as a GPS instead of paying $30/year for skycaddie service.

 

Well you do have to spend $200-$400 for the actual device right? Why bother if my iPhone app works for me just fine? I'd rather spend that money on something else golf related.
post #327 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelegacy View Post


Yeah, certain apps do continue when the screen is off, but the golfshot app does not. Luckily, the course I play most has a strong cell signal so it's normally only 5 seconds to recalculate or so. I'm not crazy about distances so I look real quick and pick a club. the app has satellite maps but I rarely use those unlessi am at a new course or am stuck in another fairway or something

If you follow the recommended method from Golfshot and click the red lock instead of locking the phone, the GPS will stay active but the screen will turn off. If you lock the phone using the lock button on top, it will disable GPS requiring a bit longer to narrow down your location when you unlock the phone.

post #328 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadess View Post

If you follow the recommended method from Golfshot and click the red lock instead of locking the phone, the GPS will stay active but the screen will turn off. If you lock the phone using the lock button on top, it will disable GPS requiring a bit longer to narrow down your location when you unlock the phone.

 This Is true. I personally just press the button on top most of the time but I keep my gps on and probably only use it 15 times during a round. Anything inside of 60 is a "feel" shot for me and anything longer than 300 is a driver unless I can see a bunker or water in play.

 

Sidenote: Even when I use it to track clubs with my iphone 4 golfshot maybe takes 20 percent of my battery.

post #329 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

 

Well you do have to spend $200-$400 for the actual device right? Why bother if my iPhone app works for me just fine? I'd rather spend that money on something else golf related.

Technically the cell phone can be considered illegal because of its other functions while the GPS cant. $200-$400 is well worth not having my phone useless until I get into the car.

post #330 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Technically the cell phone can be considered illegal because of its other functions while the GPS cant. $200-$400 is well worth not having my phone useless until I get into the car.

 

A cell phone IS illegal in competition play, but I play for fun, and im not about to spend $300 on a golf GPS or rangefinder when I could get the new set of Nike VR Split Cavity 2010 model Irons I have been eyeing for $299.

 

ALSO, you could spend $30 on another phone battery and voila, no more dead phone.

post #331 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelegacy View Post

 

A cell phone IS illegal in competition play, but I play for fun, and im not about to spend $300 on a golf GPS or rangefinder when I could get the new set of Nike VR Split Cavity 2010 model Irons I have been eyeing for $299.

 

ALSO, you could spend $30 on another phone battery and voila, no more dead phone.

New pet peeve - people that think it is still real golf when you do not play by the rules ;)

post #332 of 423

Dude kick me off the course for having a cell phone lol marshall.

 

Real golf lol. You must be a blast at parties.

post #333 of 423

Here are a few that have more to do with the course itself as opposed to our fellow golfers:

  • Aerated greens - Dear pro shop: please inform me that the greens have recently been aerated when I call to book a tee time.
  • Misaligned tee markers - Dear grounds crew: please don't have the tee markers aimed directly into the woods on the right. This game is hard enough as it is!
  • Sprinkler heads with no yardage - Less of an issue now with GPS / Rangefinders, but still. The worst is seeing a sprinkler head from 10 yards away, walking up to it hoping to find some yardage, only to find it says nothing!!!!
  • Rake stinginess - Massive bunkers with only one rake....
  • Practice greens with no cups, just the mini-flags with the "bumper" at the bottom.....seriously? Is it too much to ask for some reel effing cups? I need to see the ball go in the hole at least once before I tee off!!
  • "Pebblely" sand - I should carry an extra "beater" wedge in my bag for this...nothing worse than getting in a trap with a bunch of rocks / large pebbles and having them put a nice little pock-mark on the face/bounce of my club

 

Rant over.......for now.....

post #334 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelegacy View Post

 

A cell phone IS illegal in competition play, but I play for fun, and im not about to spend $300 on a golf GPS or rangefinder when I could get the new set of Nike VR Split Cavity 2010 model Irons I have been eyeing for $299.

 

ALSO, you could spend $30 on another phone battery and voila, no more dead phone.

 

My thoughts exactly.
post #335 of 423

New pet peeve! The other day, I was playing in a foursome (walking). We were slightly delayed on every tee waiting for the group infront of us (riding), no big deal. We get to the 8th tee box and of course see their carts in the fairway. But wait.... three carts? Yep the beverage cart was sitting in the middle of the fairway selling beer! Shouldn't they be instructed to only sell beverages on the tee box or something?

post #336 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedf View Post

New pet peeve! The other day, I was playing in a foursome (walking). We were slightly delayed on every tee waiting for the group infront of us (riding), no big deal. We get to the 8th tee box and of course see their carts in the fairway. But wait.... three carts? Yep the beverage cart was sitting in the middle of the fairway selling beer! Shouldn't they be instructed to only sell beverages on the tee box or something?

I think they should only stop and ask on tee boxes, but who knows they could have flagged her down.  The worst are the cart girls that don't know what they are doing and pop their brake or speed off when you group is hitting.

post #337 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle View Post

I think they should only stop and ask on tee boxes, but who knows they could have flagged her down.  The worst are the cart girls that don't know what they are doing and pop their brake or speed off when you group is hitting.

It's faster if they stop as they see the golfer, especially on a par 3, the girl can get stuck at the green forever if she doesnt move along.

I'd rather run into her on the fairway as we are waiting then on the tee box holding someone else up.

We get our drinks and proceed to hit as she takes care of the guys in the other cart.
post #338 of 423

I wish that I could buy another battery.  The Motorola Droid Razr doesn't have a replaceable battery.  I used the Golf Logix app for the first time a couple of days ago, playing alone, following the battery life instructions, didn't use it for anything but yardage to the middle of the green, and was still on 0%battery by the 15th hole.

post #339 of 423

A little pet peeve I have but kind of just laugh at is when my friends ask me, "was that a par 3?" Dude you pulled out your driver. I just always laugh and tell them to recall their shots and take a guess. If you had to hit 2 woods to get to the green it may be a par 5. If you used a driver and an iron it was a par 4

post #340 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdangles View Post

A little pet peeve I have but kind of just laugh at is when my friends ask me, "was that a par 3?" Dude you pulled out your driver. I just always laugh and tell them to recall their shots and take a guess. If you had to hit 2 woods to get to the green it may be a par 5. If you used a driver and an iron it was a par 4

One thing I always get a chuckle at, is the dude with the full on golf towel hanging out of his back pocket.

post #341 of 423

http://i.imgur.com/G5c4D.gif

 

safe, just a funny gif [golf pet peeve]

post #342 of 423

Justifiable homicide!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pet Peeves