or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pet Peeves
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pet Peeves - Page 23

post #397 of 423

Tips my playing partners offer to each other. None of us are really good, and 90% of the time they don't even know what they are doing wrong, let alone someone else.

post #398 of 423

1) cell phones...If you are that busy or henpecked don't come ruin my game

2) talkers.....I came to play

3) people who don't take care of bunkers, divots, and pitchmarks

4) my golf cart..it is slow

post #399 of 423

Mine is less of a pet peeve, more of a funny story about a person and thier driving distance.

 

I tee off as a single many times, many times i've caught up to groups that would ask me to play along if i'd liked. (some not) I would grab my 3 wood, get on the tee box. Someone in the group would mention that they might drive it thru the fairway if they "pure" there driver, but altimetly  they reconsider and hit there driver. After the drive buddy would mention " damn, you hit that, like, 250", totally " i pured it" he replies.  250 yard drive is a 3 wood for, knowing the hole was less than 400 yards, i choose to use less than driver. I stripe my 3 wood, as we collectively walk to our balls sitting in the fairway. Before i say anything, buddy looks at me and says " holy, you're 25 yrds ahead of me w your 3 wood, you crushed that thing almost 280!!" I say... "no man, i hit my drive 250. You hit your 230"...he stops, then starts laughing at the top of his lungs. " ya right man, your funny, i hit my driver 250 all day...I nod and smile, then promptly change the subjuct just moments before he come up short from 150yrds using a 7 irons..

 

Thats it. This does sort of bug me, espeacilly after they cant hit it 250 and spend the rest of the day trying to prove it to themselfs that i'm wrong, and slow down my round while they hit multiple balls of the tee, or spend 5 min a hole looking for their lost balls...and of course, they use pro v1's and they wont stop searching unti they have found it...Grrr

post #400 of 423

I have a few buddies like this. All a few of them care about is how far they hit each club. It's annoying as hell after every shot being asked what I hit. When I am between 60 and 105 yards out, I like to choke down on my PW and bang it up close. Im asked what I hit, Ill reply with the same answer every time.. "PW". He makes it a point to tell me he hits his 60* 80 yards. Which he does, but its rarely where he wants to go, but still he is enthusiastic about hitting it that far. 

 

I think I am just going to start replying with "a golf club" next time I am asked. 

post #401 of 423

I hear ya.

 

I'm known to ask others what club they hit if I'm playing at a new course, and what drives me nuts is when the person answers my questions with on of his own, " how far do you hit your iron's?... i hit mine long and i hit 6 iron, you should take on more" and i say "ok, thx. i'll hit 7iron". That usually send a friendly game into a heated round were this guy thinks he'll collect a cheque at the end of the round if he beats me!?!?!

 

I used to have distance envy when i started golfing, but that kind of cleared it self up after these "bombers" would hit a drive 80 yards from the green on a par 4, then follow that beauty drive with 4 more strokes to get it into the hole.

post #402 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post

I hear ya.

 

I'm known to ask others what club they hit if I'm playing at a new course, and what drives me nuts is when the person answers my questions with on of his own, " how far do you hit your iron's?... i hit mine long and i hit 6 iron, you should take on more" and i say "ok, thx. i'll hit 7iron". That usually send a friendly game into a heated round were this guy thinks he'll collect a cheque at the end of the round if he beats me!?!?!

 

I used to have distance envy when i started golfing, but that kind of cleared it self up after these "bombers" would hit a drive 80 yards from the green on a par 4, then follow that beauty drive with 4 more strokes to get it into the hole.

I will never understand this.  Leaving aside the whole part about it being against the rules since I'm assuming you're not really playing for anything serious anyway ... what good does it do you to know what a stranger chose to hit a certain distance when you ...

 

a)  Have no idea what their normal distances are to begin with, and

b)  Have no idea how hard they swung or how pure they hit that last shot?

 

Seems like all it's going to do is add more unnecessary clutter into your brain when you should only be focusing on your upcoming shot.

post #403 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I will never understand this.  Leaving aside the whole part about it being against the rules since I'm assuming you're not really playing for anything serious anyway ... what good does it do you to know what a stranger chose to hit a certain distance when you ...

 

a)  Have no idea what their normal distances are to begin with, and

b)  Have no idea how hard they swung or how pure they hit that last shot?

 

Seems like all it's going to do is add more unnecessary clutter into your brain when you should only be focusing on your upcoming shot.

Ya if I do ask because its a new course or something I will ask what did you play that as? or when I reply I said I hit my 145 club, pured it and still was short. The number on the club doesnt matter. especially when alot of lofts are different brand to brand.

post #404 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdangles View Post

Ya if I do ask because its a new course or something I will ask what did you play that as? or when I reply I said I hit my 145 club, pured it and still was short. The number on the club doesnt matter. especially when alot of lofts are different brand to brand.

OK, that makes sense ....  IF you trust the guy.  I would never trust a stranger in that situation ... and I don't mean that he would lie to me, but more like what Shooter described above.  That stranger X really has no idea what his actual 145 club is anyways, therefore, it's still just unnecessary clutter that is not going to help me.

post #405 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I will never understand this.  Leaving aside the whole part about it being against the rules since I'm assuming you're not really playing for anything serious anyway ... what good does it do you to know what a stranger chose to hit a certain distance when you ...

 

a)  Have no idea what their normal distances are to begin with, and

b)  Have no idea how hard they swung or how pure they hit that last shot?

 

Seems like all it's going to do is add more unnecessary clutter into your brain when you should only be focusing on your upcoming shot.

 

 

 

 

LOL i guess you collect a pay cheque after your rounds because i've never been called out on such a loose rule. I see what you mean tho, but i live in the mountains, some of the courses around here have so much elevation change that i cant use my laser to actually determine my club selection. Since I'm a friendly guy, and tend to chat with anyone. I dont see what the problem is. So if a fellow player is hitting a PW from 180 yards, i really would like to know that because if i didn't i would probably use too much club, so knowing I'm not going to loose my ball because i used too much club actually un-clutters my mind and allows for a good swing.

 

Also, i've been around enough to know what good, clean contact sounds like, and in case i didn't hear it, i can tell by the ball flight.

 

That takes me to a actual pet peeve that i find the funniest...its when people call others out on " rule violations" when its a Friday afternoon round, and not a club championship, lame!

post #406 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

At my country club my friend gets charged a trail fee for bringing his own cart. But what is annoying to me is that if I sit in his cart, the country club charges me a cart fee to ride with him. If anyone should get the cart fee it is him for having my fat butt ruining his passenger seat.

Seriously?  That makes no sense.  Their rationale, I presume, is that if you wanted to sit in a cart and your friend wasn't there, then you would have to rent one from them so they are getting "cheated" out of money from you, by him having a cart.  Are they sticklers about that?  I mean, what if you wanted to walk then decided it was too hot and started hitching a ride ... would you have to stop in at the turn and give them some money?  I would really be turned off at the idea of a Country Club trying to nickel and dime me like that.

 

Oh, and do you know what his trail fee is, and what your "rider" fee is?

 

At my father-in-laws course, which is in a retirement community where everybody seems to own their own golf cart, they charge a trail fee at the golf course of $60/year or $6/round.  There is no fee for riding in somebody else's private cart.

post #407 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post

LOL i guess you collect a pay cheque after your rounds because i've never been called out on such a loose rule. I see what you mean tho, but i live in the mountains, some of the courses around here have so much elevation change that i cant use my laser to actually determine my club selection. Since I'm a friendly guy, and tend to chat with anyone. I dont see what the problem is. So if a fellow player is hitting a PW from 180 yards, i really would like to know that because if i didn't i would probably use too much club, so knowing I'm not going to loose my ball because i used too much club actually un-clutters my mind and allows for a good swing.

 

Also, i've been around enough to know what good, clean contact sounds like, and in case i didn't hear it, i can tell by the ball flight.

 

That takes me to a actual pet peeve that i find the funniest...its when people call others out on " rule violations" when its a Friday afternoon round, and not a club championship, lame!

No, not at all.  I sometimes get annoyed at my dad specifically because he ignores a lot of rules, takes mulligans, gimmes, etc, and then honestly thinks he's a 22 handicap, when he's really closer to a 30 (but that is a whole other issue :))

 

I'm happy to share with people which club I used on a shot if they ask, I just don't see how it can be very helpful coming from a stranger who's game they know nothing of.

 

Oh, and regarding your actual pet peeve ... I'm with you.  I've never actually played with somebody who tried to call me out on rules violations when I wasn't actually competing against them, but if they did, it would be extremely annoying to me too. :)

post #408 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I will never understand this.  Leaving aside the whole part about it being against the rules since I'm assuming you're not really playing for anything serious anyway ... what good does it do you to know what a stranger chose to hit a certain distance when you ...

 

a)  Have no idea what their normal distances are to begin with, and

b)  Have no idea how hard they swung or how pure they hit that last shot?

 

Seems like all it's going to do is add more unnecessary clutter into your brain when you should only be focusing on your upcoming shot.

 

Also, you likely don't know the lofts of their clubs.  

 

One thing that sort of irritates me is when guys ask what club I hit, not knowing that I likely have a weaker lofted iron than their comparatively numbered iron.  

post #409 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

No, not at all.  I sometimes get annoyed at my dad specifically because he ignores a lot of rules, takes mulligans, gimmes, etc, and then honestly thinks he's a 22 handicap, when he's really closer to a 30 (but that is a whole other issue :))

 

I'm happy to share with people which club I used on a shot if they ask, I just don't see how it can be very helpful coming from a stranger who's game they know nothing of.

 

Oh, and regarding your actual pet peeve ... I'm with you.  I've never actually played with somebody who tried to call me out on rules violations when I wasn't actually competing against them, but if they did, it would be extremely annoying to me too. :)

This is true, i like rules too :)....I'm one to call others on infractions when they mean something (even a beer)...people must hate me at my course but they sure line to play with me..

post #410 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Oh, and regarding your actual pet peeve ... I'm with you.  I've never actually played with somebody who tried to call me out on rules violations when I wasn't actually competing against them, but if they did, it would be extremely annoying to me too. :)

 

What bugs me is when I am playing by the rules and a guy I was paired with tries to tell me what to do, when he clearly is clueless about the rules.  Like the guy who tried to tell me that on the PGA tour they only re-play an OB shot if it was hit from the tee. 

post #411 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

 

What bugs me is when I am playing by the rules and a guy I was paired with tries to tell me what to do, when he clearly is clueless about the rules.  Like the guy who tried to tell me that on the PGA tour they only re-play an OB shot if it was hit from the tee. 

You're right that is annoying.  I played in a tournament last year where my competitor hit a bad slice towards OB stakes, IMO it was out by a mile, I mentioned he might want to hit a provisional and he said it was not out.  When we got up there he couldn't find his ball so he said the proper ruling is play like a lateral hazard, because since we can't find it we can't assume it was out. He also said that it wasn't a lost ball because it should be where he was looking.  I said it's lost when you can't find it and therefore need to rehit from last shot. 

 

He played out the hole and gave himself a bogey. He ended up in dead last in the tournament, otherwise I was going to bring it up to the tournament officials.

post #412 of 423

when someone asks me what club I hit...I tell them the yardage club that I used.  "I hit my 150 club" or whatever it may be.  Its up to them to know what club goes how far.

post #413 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

when someone asks me what club I hit...I tell them the yardage club that I used.  "I hit my 150 club" or whatever it may be.  Its up to them to know what club goes how far.

I never understood that, how does what club I hit help you? Especially with all of the variations in loft etc. 

post #414 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckAaron View Post

I never understood that, how does what club I hit help you? Especially with all of the variations in loft etc. 

 

 

don't ask me...I don't ask what club someone hit in order to pick my own clubs.  I do all my picking based on laser numbers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Pet Peeves